U19: Midtjylland vs United

lysglimt

Scout
A bunch of kids play a youth match and people are assessing players on it like its the CL final.
If this was a one-off I wouldn't mind. But it is a concern when the players constantly collapse in "easy" games. Beating Chelsea - and then we don't turn up against Brighton. Destroying great teams from Italy and Spain, and get hammered by a mediocre Danish side.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The Danes were fantastic defensively and we were poor in comparison. Our keeper should've saved the first two goals. We give too many cheap goals away and our attack can't keep bailing us out.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
If this was a one-off I wouldn't mind. But it is a concern when the players constantly collapse in "easy" games. Beating Chelsea - and then we don't turn up against Brighton. Destroying great teams from Italy and Spain, and get hammered by a mediocre Danish side.
Camping 10 players in the box and the refs allowing the opposition to put in leg breakers all game doesn't make for "easy" games. There isn't much Angel can do when he's fouled every time he touches the ball and the refs refuse to apply the laws of the game. Not to mention the countless times Chong has had his legs absolutely smashed through off the ball and not even on the pitch half the time. It's no surprise all of these "easy" games have involved the ref bottling what should have been several red cards for the opposition.

Additionally having someone like Bernard hand out goals for fun every game doesn't have a bearing on everyone else's ability.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Camping 10 players in the box and the refs allowing the opposition to put in leg breakers all game doesn't make for "easy" games. There isn't much Angel can do when he's fouled every time he touches the ball and the refs refuse to apply the laws of the game. Not to mention the countless times Chong has had his legs absolutely smashed through off the ball and not even on the pitch half the time. It's no surprise all of these "easy" games have involved the ref bottling what should have been several red cards for the opposition.

Additionally having someone like Bernard hand out goals for fun every game doesn't have a bearing on everyone else's ability.
It can't be emphasised enough how badly the referees have been managing our games this season, I was livid when the ref let about 5 challenges on Chong go until he eventually got injured against Reading. Against Brighton, Greenwood was fouled the first three times he touched it, it was a joke. They've also been insanely inconsistent too, one set of rules for United and another for our opponents seemingly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Nobody's really hyping Traore here. Most of us rate Levitt higher at the moment I believe (personally I think Levitt is better than Garner).

I think Gomes has gone to be underrated here. Some of the comments made me laugh.

Lost 1 match and the trashtalking youth players are back. Please keep the fickling remains on the main forum.
That's a very high praise for Levitt. Good to see we have so many talented players.

In Rainbows

I have seen practically every match both the U18 and reserves have played this season - my criticism of Gomes isn't based solely on that match, but he certainly hasn't taken a step in the right direction this season - same with Chong.
But then you agree with me that he's going to end up as a CM for the very same criticism you had of him? In which case, it's not a legit criticism in regards to his new role. I don't think that was a problem this last match.

Thiagoal

I'm a little concerned that some of our youth players are crumbling under the hype! Gomes, Garner, Chong and Mason have been around the first team and (Mason apart) all their performance levels have dropped considerably!

I'd personally give season loans to Chong and Gomes next year and let them develop without the intense scrutiny! Greenwood and Garner are still only 17/18 so will be fine playing for the U23's with the occasional first team call up

POF

I'm a little concerned that some of our youth players are crumbling under the hype! Gomes, Garner, Chong and Mason have been around the first team and (Mason apart) all their performance levels have dropped considerably!

I'd personally give season loans to Chong and Gomes next year and let them develop without the intense scrutiny! Greenwood and Garner are still only 17/18 so will be fine playing for the U23's with the occasional first team call up
Any of them playing in the current u23 set up is bad for their development. Unfortunately, the longer players are in the u23 set up, the more their performance levels drop.

Hopefully Greenwood will go straight into the first team squad. It's too big a risk that a talent like that will get Sbragiad.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well that defending and keeping just looks shocking.