Scout

Kovar
Dalot Mengi Bernard Laird
Puigmal Galbraith
Chong Gomes(C) Traore
Mellor

Subs: Mastny, Taylor, Bejger, Neville, Hockenhull, McCann, Helm​

OohAahMartial

Gomes doing well considering he is both ill and has an injured ankle. And why is he Captain if he's being frozen out before leaving on a free to Barca?

always_hoping

Ages of that starting line up.

Kovar 19 since May.
Dalot 20 since March
Mengi 17 since April
Bernard 19 since October
Laird 18 since August
Puigmal 18 since January
Galbraith 18 since May
Chong 20 since the start of this month
Gomes 19 since August
Traore 18 since January
Mellor 19 since January

OohAahMartial

Gomes playing quite deep. Not a position I think he can play in the first team, so not sure why we bother with him there. Either that, or he doesn't have the positional sense to stay further upfield.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Laird is a very special player.

OohAahMartial

Mellor scores a tap-in, from Laird cross, great work from him, plus deflection. Interesting to see Laird able to be effective from the left too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ethan Laird is always a level above. Frightening prospect.

OohAahMartial

Gomes doing nothing to suggest he should be getting 1st team chances. I don't think he will make a career in European top leagues. Just having good technique isn't nearly enough when every single physical attribute is lacking.

OohAahMartial

Ethan Laird is always a level above. Frightening prospect.
For me, he's second only to Greenwood amongst our youth. If he can produce left or right, that's a huge boost for us. I sincerely wish he can stay clear of injuries for a couple of years to really realize his potential. Dalot doesn't have the potential Laird does imho.

Ekeke

Gomes doing nothing to suggest he should be getting 1st team chances. I don't think he will make a career in European top leagues. Just having good technique isn't nearly enough when every single physical attribute is lacking.
He's played some nice long passes from deep in midfield like with the goal. But he's also lost some physical battles with Milan players

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
For me, he's second only to Greenwood amongst our youth. If he can produce left or right, that's a huge boost for us. I sincerely wish he can stay clear of injuries for a couple of years to really realize his potential. Dalot doesn't have the potential Laird does imho.
I’ve said this before but I actually rate him as the second best academy graduate we have after Greenwood, I’m a huge fan of Gomes but I think Laird is even better, the lad is dynamite.

dutchred

I agree 100%. Ethan is the Greenwood of the defence. If he doesn't suffer from injuries he will go a long way. I think he, Williams, Shaw and Wan Bissaka will share full back duties for a long time at United

Ekeke

Galbraith has played well, tidy in the middle and passing it about but also won some nice tackles

SteveW

I’ve said this before but I actually rate him as the second best academy graduate we have after Greenwood, I’m a huge fan of Gomes but I think Laird is even better, the lad is dynamite.
Same. I've been waiting patiently for him to get fit consistently. He will be fast tracked to the first team squad. Superb player.

Fosu-Mens

From the beginning of last season, it was clear that he was our second best youth prospect. Unlike Gomes, Chong etc Laird does not have any weakness in his game, and his abilities make him suitable for the demands of the modern fullback (winger). His abilities and potential is the main reason why some posters on here questioned us going after AWB.

Indnyc

3-0 final score.. Chong scored last minute penalty.. Gomes with a good ball

Gomes had good moments and was involved in all 3 goals

OohAahMartial

Would like to see Laird and Williams against low block park-the-bus teams, and Shaw and AWB against the more open top teams.

The subs seemed to make a difference, allowed Gomes to be moved more forward--I really don't see the point of trying to turn him into a DLP.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
From the beginning of last season, it was clear that he was our second best youth prospect. Unlike Gomes, Chong etc Laird does not have any weakness in his game, and his abilities make him suitable for the demands of the modern fullback (winger). His abilities and potential is the main reason why some posters on here questioned us going after AWB.
This.

And it was the reason I wanted us to sign a LB instead.

Ekeke

Would like to see Laird and Williams against low block park-the-bus teams, and Shaw and AWB against the more open top teams.

The subs seemed to make a difference, allowed Gomes to be moved more forward--I really don't see the point of trying to turn him into a DLP.
The point would be the quality of his long passing which was again on show, and I guess to get him more involved because he has a tendency to be on the fringes of the game.

Unlike Galbraith there was no evidence of having the defensive nous to play a sitting CM role based on today's performance.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Should have bought Meunier and Tierney. Would have cost us the same as AWB. Both able to pass and deliver a cross...
I would've preferred Tierney but he seems to suffer from injuries quite abit which is dissapointing to see. But there was many other options too.

Ekeke

Why are people questioning a good signing for our first team because a player is doing well in the u23s? We've had loads of players who did well at that level and then didnt make it here or even in the premier league. Today was against Milan but it wasnt even a team from the top division...

Laird played well particularly out of position on the left but he has a lot to do if hes going to end up making it at United

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why are people questioning a good signing for our first team because a player is doing well in the u23s? We've had loads of players who did well at that level and then didnt make it here or even in the premier league. Today was against Milan but it wasnt even a team from the top division...

Laird played well particularly out of position on the left but he has a lot to do if hes going to end up making it at United
Because it could've saved the club £50m. And that for a fullback that has limitations in attack which wasn't a very prudent move when better RBs could've been signed.