U23: Derby - Man Utd

Mickson

Friday Night Live on MUTV. Kickoff at 7 PM.

Hopefully we'll see Elanga, Amad, Hannibal, Fernandez, Mengi, Shoretire etc. It will surely be entertaining.

Discuss.

lenny_1248

Hannibal, Amad, Shola, Elanga as an attacking four plus Hugill/McNeil as a 9 is mad) Esp at that level.
These 4 should make it here. I hope they do.

bludsucker

Any update in the game. I am not able to find a working river for this.

ggg333

48" its still 0-0, I wont call that we are controlling the game, and there is no real spark.

laughtersassassin

Why in the feck is Amad not playing?

We know he won't play tomorrow so he should play for the 23s

lysglimt

Scout
It scares me that some of our best youngsters cant perform better against Derby. And unfortunately Fernandez once again shows he cant defend.

dutchred

It scares me that some of our best youngsters cant perform better against Derby. And unfortunately Fernandez once again shows he cant defend.
We are useless at all levels at this time. Our best youngsters don't know what system we are playing or how to play. At this rate we will lose all of them soon. OGS will give them all 5 minutes in a useless game and then claim he gave all youth a chance.

UTD_Since_1978

I think McNeill is a better striker than the other up & coming striker we have in the U-23s, is it Joe Huggill?

Mickson

Really should do better against a poor Derby. It's something odd about the coaching that I can't put my finger on. However, it's a young team and a lot of players born in both 2004 and 2005 played today. Fernandez and Hannibal the pick of the bunch for me. You can criticize Fernandez defending but he has been our most creative player this season, creating so many chances and is always available going forward, can dribble and pick a pass. A good cameo from Mainoo too.

Demaw

That is a really young team as well. There is talent there but it will take time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Really should do better against a poor Derby. It's something odd about the coaching that I can't put my finger on. However, it's a young team and a lot of players born in both 2004 and 2005 played today. Fernandez and Hannibal the pick of the bunch for me. You can criticize Fernandez defending but he has been our most creative player this season, creating so many chances and is always available going forward, can dribble and pick a pass. A good cameo from Mainoo too.
I agree with everything you said.

Derby set out to press us high and we just sat back in a mid block and allowed them to come at us for large periods of the game. I'd at the very least expect us to attempt to impose ourselves on Derby by playing a higher defensive line and thus applying a coordinated press high up the pitch. But for some strange reason we've adopted the same reactive approach that we see at first first team level, and hence end up handing the initiative to the opposition.

We need to see improvements when it comes to coaching the team in a proactive manner, both on and off the ball. Currently we seem to be lacking at u23 level and it doesn't provide a good platform for players to thrive imo.

Beaucoup

Playing Wellens as a no7, tells you all you need to know.

lysglimt

Scout
We are useless at all levels at this time. Our best youngsters don't know what system we are playing or how to play. At this rate we will lose all of them soon. OGS will give them all 5 minutes in a useless game and then claim he gave all youth a chance.
Apart from Elanga - none of them has shown anything that indicates they are even close to first team levels. So stop blaming that on OGS. You can still look like a good player even if the system isn't ideal.

lysglimt

Scout
It's not just the coaching - some of these players look uninterested. Hannibal was completely anonymous for big parts of the game - at his best he will completely dominate these opponents. And what you are saying about Fernandez is correct - the problem is, he will be taken apart by a good winger. As it looks right now - he can play wingback in a 3-5-2 but he is nowhere near good enough for the first team in any other position. What I find puzzling about him is that going forward he looks pacy - defending he looks sluggish. He can run past players with the ball, and players can run past him when they have the ball.

lysglimt

Scout
Pathetic at all levels.
And btw - to call our U18 pathetic shows that you have very little knowledge of what you are talking about. After an awful start to the season where they looked really bad - they have really improved a lot and before todays game they have something like 4 wins and 2 draws in the last 6 league games. And they are 1-0 up at half-time against Burnley

Fanta Stick

It's not just the coaching - some of these players look uninterested. Hannibal was completely anonymous for big parts of the game - at his best he will completely dominate these opponents. And what you are saying about Fernandez is correct - the problem is, he will be taken apart by a good winger. As it looks right now - he can play wingback in a 3-5-2 but he is nowhere near good enough for the first team in any other position. What I find puzzling about him is that going forward he looks pacy - defending he looks sluggish. He can run past players with the ball, and players can run past him when they have the ball.
Hannibal has been out for 2 months to be fair to him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I personally thought Hannibal was very good considering we adopted a under dog mentality by playing a reactive play style which allowed Derby to play out from the back with ease. He's also been out injured for 2 months.

Hannibal in his role was deployed as the second #6, and it was encouraging to see he showed good discipline to maintain position both on and off the ball. But you can only do so much if it's been predetermined that the team was gonna sit 15 -20 yards away from the opposition when they were building play, which means our transitions a lot of the time start from too deep, which in turn makes it even more difficult due to the opposition pressing us high. This a counter attacking set up which suits players on the break like Elanga, who uses his pace to good effect.

Last edited:

Demaw

That's were he has played most of his career...
I've watched Wellens for quite a lot of games and never saw anything in him at all. If he is playing right wing, and he has a lot in his career, then we must have been short on players.

Demaw

Mee; Jurado, Mengi, Hardley, Fernandez; Svidersky, Hannibal; Wellens, Hansen, Garnacho; McNeill

Subs: Vitek, Bennett, Mather, Savage, Mainoo
These are good kids but really the only ones that probably have a hope of making the our top squad are Hannibal and Hansen. Potential on the bench with Vitek, Mather and Mainoo. Garnacho and McNeill will have good careers but it probably won't be with us. I also sadly think the same with Hugill.
The rest of that team will probably all have professional careers in different leagues. We have cream kids in Amad, Shola, Hansen, Hannibal and Elanga. Those five have always stood out (I know Amad is new) and hoping that they continue to improve and impress and make our top squad.