U23: Man Utd - Brighton

Mickson

Kickoff at 3 PM, live on MUTV (not only for UK and IRE this time!)

United will likely have a thin squad, but will hopefully put out a decent enough team.

Nickosaur

But they loaned him out?
Nope? Might have been initial talk of that when he signed. He made an appearance vs Citys u23s a few weeks back. Hasn't yet been named in a matchday squad for Brighton first team.

AJ VII

Kovar, Neville, Taylor, Fish, Devine, Svidersky, Galbraith, McCann, Helm, Hugill and Shoretire starting.

Subs: Vitek, Fernandez, Savage and Hoogerwerf.

Caicedo starting for Brighton, so it will be interesting to see what level he is at.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How long's Elanga been out for now? Seems like he's missed a good chunk of the season.

AltiUn

Fish sent off within 5 minutes.

lysglimt

Scout
Red card after 6 minutes - and correct as well. No excuses there - it was just braindead he had no chance of ever reaching that ball - so clear professional foul

AltiUn

This is going to be a loooooonnnnng afternoon :lol:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Anything less than a red would have been extremely fortunate for us in that situation. The whole back line was caught off guard with that pass giveaway, and I'm not surprised that Fish panicked when that Brighton attacking player broke past him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I just realised that Fish is our only other CB after Max Taylor in the U23s. I wonder if Neil Ryan will call up Bjorn Hardley for the next few mtaches or go with a full back at CB.

AltiUn

Not sure how Devine's got away with that there :lol:

AltiUn

Not sure I agree with the commentator there, Hugill's clean through on goal there, should've been a red to Brighton.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The Brighton defender Wakely gets away with tripping Hugill in the midfield area, especially with his partner being in line with him and having enough time to catch up. Having said that, i can see why some would be aggrieved by that challenge given that Hugill would have been clean through on goal for the most part.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Galbraith looking class, so composed cutting out attacks and then spraying it around.

Not a red for Brighton for me. He was still almost 40 yards out and the covering defender was in line with him. That’s not a clear goal scoring opportunity. Was a great run from Hugill and brilliant pass from Galbraith though.

AltiUn

Hasn't taken Kovar long to get his mojo back after his loan spell.

Looked a penalty to me :nervous:

lysglimt

Scout
Galbraith looking class, so composed cutting out attacks and then spraying it around.

Not a red for Brighton for me. He was still almost 40 yards out and the covering defender was in line with him. That’s not a clear goal scoring opportunity. Was a great run from Hugill and brilliant pass from Galbraith though.
Galbraith has been poor defensively. He takes too many chances - and he is lucky not to have cost us a goal. Shoretire the same - he has been extremely fortunate as well

lysglimt

Scout
Sub McCann or Svidersky for Fernandez and move Galbraith into central midfield.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Get Fernandez on to partner Fish. Not sure who to take off.
I'd take McCann off. He's not offering much to us at the moment. We are in dire need of a player to offer us composure on the ball at the back, and having both Fernandez and Galbraith in deeper areas would help us more.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
10 men or not, we're giving the ball away for too easily. Kovar having an excellent game.

AltiUn

All things considered that could've gone a lot worse.

Bertie Wooster

In the context of this game, Fish was a definite red and the Brighton one was 50-50 as either a red or yellow. So no huge complaints - especially as Brighton also had a decent shout for a penalty turned down.

However it's really frustrating how the refs operate at this level. Considering the assaults we see players getting away with on the likes of Mejbri and Shoretire - on the principle that they want to keep 11 v 11 on the pitch at youth level - then it's very frustrating that they ref a last man foul by the letter of the law and (rightly) give a red card for it.

Fish would have been better launching into a high, two footed lunge after 5 minutes - he'd have probably got a talking to or at most a yellow.

AJ VII

Will be hard for us to get anything from this game due to the red card and all the players we are missing. Not much creativity on the pitch which we need with 10 men.

Would bring on Fernandez at CB and move Galbraith up into midfield. He have lost the ball several times in dangerous positions in defence, but also had a throuhg ball which could have been a goalscoring situation for Hugill if he hadnt been fouled.

For the second half we need to be a lot less sloppy in our passing and defence to get anything out of this.

Mickson

I think the ref has been pretty good but should've awarded Brighton a penalty. Funny that we still lose the ball too easily, despite being 10 men. You would have thought they would be more careful, but apparently not. Galbraith is at fault there. I really like him but he hasn't developed much there in the last year. He needs to fix that to have a good career at a decent level. Kovar on the other hand has been excellent. He has been very good since his awful game a couple of months ago.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
United working very hard, hope it doesn't come back to to bite them late on. Subs need to be used at just the right time.