U23 vs Everton

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That looks like quite a defensive setup from both teams, honestly. Everton line up in a back 3/5, whilst we line up with 4 central midfielders (Helm might be the 5th CM, but he's shown his versatility, so I don't want to group him with the rest at this time).

I'm happy to see Will Fish back in the XI as well as Svidersky, who's been great in the U18s. Seeing both Charlie McNeill and Dillon Hoogewerf in the bench is also pretty sweet, and I'm hoping for one of them to get some minutes (preferably Hoogewerf as he's played U23s football before).

prateik

Diallo and Shoretire promoted.. Is Hannibal injured or promoted for the Europa League game too ?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It's kind of sad that Everton are playing so defensively. They have one of the best academies around and have a couple of talented players playing right now (like Thierry Small), yet they're not even looking to play on the front foot. The United players are able to play around their press for the most part. Still, we do miss the playmaking abilities of both Shoretire and Hannibal.

Mark Helm's showed good fundamentals with nice first touches and some decent dribbling as well as good positioning. However, on the ball, he hasn't been much of a threat, and even his long shots have been relatively easy to deal with for the most part.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Reece Devine completely lost Nathan Broadhead, who sprinted past our defensive line and chipped the ball past Kovar to give Everton a 1-0 lead against the run of play. The other problem was how open the Everton player who played the first-time pass was. It looked like United fell asleep at that situation given how much of the ball they had.

lysglimt

Scout
Our best player in the 1 half equalizes with a dream strike

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
United are in dire need of a playmaker or creator. At the moment, we do a good job of bringing the ball forward, but once it enters Everton's final third, our attacks die down fairly easily. McCann and Helm aren't offering much incisive passing on the ball and are not releasing the ball quickly enough. Whenever we work the ball out to the left, Fernandez has barely anyone offering him a short-passing option. We've barely gotten the ball into the right flank, and our passing, overall, has been generally safe.

Having said all of that, our players are picking up very good positions, and that great streak from McCann gives United a deserved equaliser. Onyango was way too easily beaten there.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

We are missing our crucial forwards as we look so clueless in final 3rd. Everton are big boys and well structured defensively. Our only hope will be long shots unless we can link up better

Mickson

We're doing okay. I think the balance is better than usual with Svidersky in the midfield, more defensive stability. Galbraith is running this game and is constantly finding through between Everton's lines. We are poor in the final third though. If Elanga, Shoretire, Amad, Hannibal etc were playing we would be three up. I also think our forwards have found it difficult in their target roles. Just need to get first to the ball.

lysglimt

Scout
We are missing our crucial forwards as we look so clueless in final 3rd. Everton are big boys and well structured defensively. Our only hope will be long shots unless we can link up better
Everton are putting 7-8 players behind the ball in a 5-3-2 system - add to that, they are much older than us.

We are missing 11-12 players - so I think we have performed quite well

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This second-half performance has been much better. Hoogewerf is getting more of the ball ahead of him instead of to his feet, and that's made him an added threat. Him running with the ball is worrying Everton. Galbraith has also imposed himself more in the midfield and has added more creativity to the team by virtue of getting on the ball more.

EDIT: And just as I say that, we concede though with some bad luck. Reece Devine did a decent job, but Will Fish lost focus at the crucial moment.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Everton are putting 7-8 players behind the ball in a 5-3-2 system - add to that, they are much older than us.

We are missing 11-12 players - so I think we have performed quite well
I am fully aware how many we are missing through call ups, injury and our loan system. Doesnt change the fact we were incredibly poor in final third :lol:

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

No but it does make it irrelevant.
The game is irrelevant because we don't have better players?

The lads have the ability to defend and attack much better than we are seeing. I have watched every game this season.

They just scored another awful goal. Unmarked for flick on and unmarked for goal. Embarassing.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The game is irrelevant because we don't have better players?

The lads have the ability to defend and attack much better than we are seeing. I have watched every game this season.

They just scored another awful goal. Unmarked for flick on and unmarked for goal. Embarassing.
I think this is the first time that we're playing without one of Shoretire, Hannibal, and Elanga this season. I'm not surprised that we're struggling to break down Everton's defence despite doing a good job of bringing the ball forward.

Defensively, we've made more individual errors, but that's typical of our U23s. Keep in mind that we only have one CB in our back line, and that's someone who's having his first full season with the U23s in Will Fish. Alvaro Fernandez is also playing for the U23s for the first time this season, so it's no surprise that he's struggling defensively.

You might not care too much about the context, but these details matter when we're talking about player development. If it was just about getting 3 points every match, then it'd be a different story.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
On a side note, Charlie McNeill has come on for his U23s debut. I'm amazed at how many U23 debuts United have handed out this season. That should say everything about the players' performances.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

We struggle so much defensively in the first team, its no surprise that these lads have conceded the most in the league. Has made for entertaining games though

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I think this is the first time that we're playing without one of Shoretire, Hannibal, and Elanga this season. I'm not surprised that we're struggling to break down Everton's defence despite doing a good job of bringing the ball forward.

Defensively, we've made more individual errors, but that's typical of our U23s. Keep in mind that we only have one CB in our back line, and that's someone who's having his first full season with the U23s in Will Fish. Alvaro Fernandez is also playing for the U23s for the first time this season, so it's no surprise that he's struggling defensively.

You might not care too much about the context, but these details matter when we're talking about player development. If it was just about getting 3 points every match, then it'd be a different story.
Fernandez is playing in his 12th game for the u23s lad.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’m watching this on the Everton channel and the commentry is absolutely insufferable. I wonder if MUTV is this annoying to non-United fans.
Yeah, it’s frequently complained about on oppo forums whenever we play their youth teams. I find the MUTV commentary to be generally very good, they offer a lot of MU specific insights so I can understand why it might be grating.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I’m watching this on the Everton channel and the commentry is absolutely insufferable. I wonder if MUTV is this annoying to non-United fans.
It's definitely biased commentary, but I don't think it's as biased as the commentary from other channels. The only thing I think they'd find annoying is commentary on the refs, but that's justified IMO.