U23's: Derby (H) Monday 7pm

Bertie Wooster

It's the U23's last game of the season on Monday night, at home to Derby.

There's nothing really to play for - although we could finish between 4th and 8th depending on the result - and, hopefully, we won't see quite a few of the regular attacking options as they'll be in the first team squad for the Leicester game on Tuesday.

Amad almost certainly won't be there, but I'll be disappointed if Shoretire, Elanga or Mejbri feature. Which, hopefully, means we might see a regular U18 front group with the likes of McNeill, Hoogewerf, Forson. I'd also like to see Hansen-Aeroen get a chance at U23 level to see how he looks (as sub or starter).

GJNJ

It will be interesting to Hansen and McNeill at the U23 level. Hansen and Hannibal in midfield together should be pleasing on the eyes.

SATA

Think Shola and Hannibal will be on tomorrow's first team bench. Don't know much about Elanga but interesting he's not in the U23 squad. Amad could start :drool:

sideshowbob

Amad and Elanga definitely playing a part tomorrow then.

Is Galbraith injured? With matic being the only defensive midfielder not playing 90 mins yesterday wouldn’t surprise me if he also got a call up.

Bertie Wooster

Well, I got most of what I wanted / expected in the OP.

It'll be good to see McNeill and Hansen with the U23's (and Forson again if he comes on).

And it looks like Amad and Elanga will be in the first team squad, which is good. I was expecting at least one of Shoretire and Hannibal to be there as well, but as I didn't think either would feature much (and certainly not start) then it's a decent call to give them a final start with the U23's. Hopefully they'll both get a first team run out in one of the final two games of the season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think he’s behind Amad & Elanga in the pecking order.
I’d probably agree with that, Elanga an Amad do look a little closer to first team football than Shola and Mejbri, the latter two aren’t a million miles away though.

Njord

Could this mean Hugill will be involved with the first team, or is he missing for other reasons?

lysglimt

Scout
is this game in the UK only ?

Never mind - there I found it :)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Looking forward to seeing our front 4 today. Especially Hansen at this level, looks like he can go all the way.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Is Helm actually hurt? He apparently got a knock earlier, but he does appear to be moving fine. I guess this is a precautionary change, so fair enough.

EDIT: He has an ice pack with him, so yeah, he's definitely hurt.

lysglimt

Scout
McNeill and Hansen have struggled - but in fairness, quite a few below-par performances tonight. Devine probably our best player in the 1 half.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Derby, for the most part, have kept the ball at the back line and their midfield and haven't spent too much time in our third. Their diamond shape has definitely caused us a problem, though, especially when we go for the press. McNeill and Hansen haven't seen much of the ball, and that's mostly due to United giving the ball away when transitioning to the attack. When we've kept the ball, though, we've moved it around quite well for the most part with Devine heavily involved and probably our best player in the first half.

Is it just me or does McNeill seem very hesitant and uninterested?
You can tell that both Hansen and McNeill are looking off the pace at this level. McNeill, in particular, is struggling to contend with the more physically developed players, and that's eating him up mentally given how much he dominates at the U18 level. This will be very good for his development, however; he needs to be physically tested in order to take his game to the next level just as we've seen from Hannibal, Shoretire, and Elanga.

Regarding Hansen, just now, there was one moment where he nutmegged a Derby player out wide only for another to quickly cover the ground and win the ball off of him. Savage is barely seeing the ball for similar reasons. That just about sums up the match; Derby are more physically developed, but they've struggled to threaten us by virtue of our players being better defensively as well as us being a goal ahead.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Hannibal's starting to frustrate the Derby players, who are really struggling to keep up with him.

EDIT: Make that Derby getting frustrated with United, overall. They think that they deserve more out of this match by virtue of being bigger and stronger as well as having more of the ball, but United have done very well to contain them. This is the exact opposite of how U23 matches tend to go, where we see United struggle defensively.

Fanta Stick

Derby, for the most part, have kept the ball at the back line and their midfield and haven't spent too much time in our third. Their diamond shape has definitely caused us a problem, though, especially when we go for the press. McNeill and Hansen haven't seen much of the ball, and that's mostly due to United giving the ball away when transitioning to the attack. When we've kept the ball, though, we've moved it around quite well for the most part with Devine heavily involved and probably our best player in the first half.

You can tell that both Hansen and McNeill are looking off the pace at this level. McNeill, in particular, is struggling to contend with the more physically developed players, and that's eating him up mentally given how much he dominates at the U18 level. This will be very good for his development, however; he needs to be physically tested in order to take his game to the next level just as we've seen from Hannibal, Shoretire, and Elanga.

Regarding Hansen, just now, there was one moment where he nutmegged a Derby player out wide only for another to quickly cover the ground and win the ball off of him. Savage is barely seeing the ball for similar reasons. That just about sums up the match; Derby are more physically developed, but they've struggled to threaten us by virtue of our players being better defensively as well as us being a goal ahead.
There were a couple of 50/50 situations where he could have won the ball but he backed off.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Surprisingly, Fish has been excellent today. I think being alongside a proper centre back in Max Taylor's helped him. McCann has also been very good off the ball, particularly with his pressing and reading of the game; for the most part, he's kept his positioning disciplined when Derby's players would rotate their positions, and he's put in a few good tackles, too. Helm was the same until his injury, and the United midfield has become more reliant on Hannibal keeping the ball with Savage coming in.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Hansen struggling a bit with the physicality which is to be expected - be a big step up for him next year. I think he’s better deeper anyway. Shola is only about 6 months older than him isn’t he? Makes you appreciate how good he is.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Hansen struggling a bit with the physicality which is to be expected - be a big step up for him next year. I think he’s better deeper anyway. Shola is only about 6 months older than him isn’t he? Makes you appreciate how good he is.
I can understand why Wood's playing him higher up given how easily Derby have been winning the ball off of him. Being higher up the pitch allows him to drift around some more and be more free when it comes to positioning himself. Regardless, Hannibal would most likely move deeper into the midfield before Hansen will if the situation arises.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Ooh, McNeill had a good half-chance! McCann picked up the ball in acres of space in the midfield after a poor Derby throw-in, and he sprung through McNeill who had the beating of the Derby defender. McNeill, unfortunately, had a heavy touch that took the ball too far away from him and into the keeper's hands.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That was sort of coming. After Hannibal endured a heavy challenge (possible foul missed?), Derby broke forward quickly. The ball went out to the Derby right back Connor Dixon in acres of space, who whipped in a quick cross that Cresswell got into the end of at the near post. The header was too quick for Mastny to react to, and Derby are now level. 1-1