U23s: Everton v United

Demaw

Maybe Elanga deep down is frustrated at the talk of getting time with the first squad but keeps missing out on the games and lashed out? He isn't silly, he must have thought he could have done a better job than Martial the other night. Also, seeing Mata trot out would be frustrating for a kid desperate to play in the top team. Anthony has improved every year I have watched him since 18's. I wasn't sure about him 2 years ago but he has kicked on. The amount of on field physicality our boys cop in these age groups is shocking. I am stunned that there hasn't been more serious injuries occur, especially with Hannibal who is one tough tough kid. Good again from Alvaro, there is something in him but just have to wait to see if he keeps getting better and better.
Don't forget Tedi Mengi is definitely on the up again after a horror run from a season ago. There were high hopes and he is still so young so maybe he will kick on? Mainoo on the bench is a massive statement of confidence from the academy coaches. Only 16 and on the bench. It shows how highly rated is Shola as he has been doing this for a long time (above age) since his teens. To think Shola is still only 17 and plays with so much awareness and skill. Fingers crossed.

bludsucker

Too bad you didn't know that Everton streamed the game on their Youtube channel.

Good games from Kovar, Shoretire, and especially Savage who I think was the best player on the pitch. Our defense looks solid again too. A bit silly from Elanga and co, regarding the red card, but I understand them. The refs ignore so many blatant fouls that they create irritation amongst the players, and that's what you get when you are ignorant and ignore every single challenge.
Yeah I didn’t know that. Would have saved me a lot of wasted effort if i had asked earlier. Was looking for mutv and finding no streams at all.

Drizzle

First full u23 game I've watched for a while and I wasn't particularly impressed. Thought Everton were the better team for long spells.

Shoretire did his usual thing when I watch him - mostly nothing, interspersed with the occasional sublime touches. Can't quite make him out as a player.

Elanga was occasionally dangerous but mostly shut down. He got his goal though and his output can't be questioned. Lost his head at the end.

Thought Hugill looked good when he came on. Looked noticeably stronger and faster than last season, and ran the channels effectively.

Iqbal I'm not sure about. Full of tricks and flicks but none of them achieve anything. Very young though, so something to work with.

Fernandez didn't change my mind on him. Nice player, good to watch, but so slow. Not just in running, but in everything. Perhaps he can become a Daley Blind?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Mata and Lingard, no? Would rather Elanga and Mejbri get those chances
Firstly, I can count on one hand all the 'exceptional' players who have left us because of lack of game time and gone on to great careers to prove us wrong. And that's going back to the 1950's...our coaches are really very, very good with this stuff and see them every day in training. So they do know what they are doing.

We all want to see young talent getting a chance, our club has the best record in the world for doing that. They will get chances if they can prove themselves. That's how it has always worked. Greenwood showed that.

I think everyone realises that Mata is at the end of his career. But until Shoretire, Mejbri and Elanga can excel at U/23 level on a consistent basis, then no one is holding them back in the first team.

Secondly, Elanga plays in totally different roles to both Mata and Lingard. So neither are holding him back. Lingard has scored twice for us including the winner at West Ham so hardly a player with no future. Mejbri has been injured and suspended so he couldn't play anyway.

As always patience is key.