U23's friendly: Stalybridge (A)

Bertie Wooster

This was billed as being live on MUTV, and was listed there last time I checked. But tuned in at 7.30 and it's a repeat of the Derby friendly which is a disappointment as I was looking forward to it. Anyone know why it's not on?

Anyway, the team is...

Mee

Wellens
McShane
Hardley
Fernandez

McCann
Savage

Emeran
Iqbal
Hoogewerf

McNeill

Bertie Wooster

HT: 1-0 to United.

Iqbal scored. And apparently McNeill and Hoogewerf missed good chances to add to it.

lysglimt

Scout
Bench is Jurado, Hansen Aarøen, Pye, Vitek, Garnacho

lysglimt

Scout
0-2 Hoogewerf (57) once against assist by Hardley apparently (or possibly not - in the text it says he exchanged passed with McNeill)

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
We just went 2-0 up. Hoogewerf and McNeill had a decent exchange before Hoogewerf finished off his chance.

This is very good to read and a major development for McNeill. He's kept improving on his play outside of the box and his interplay with other attacking players. This'll allow him to move ahead of Joe Hugill if he keeps this up.

lysglimt

Scout
Vitek and Pye on for McShane and Mee in the 61st minute

Bertie Wooster

Sounds like a good, dominant display - which it should have been I guess against a level 7 club as this age group competes well in the EFL Trophy against 3rd and 4th tier sides.

Wish it had been on MUTV, sounds like it would have been a good watch. I asked in the OP, but has anyone any idea why it ended up not being on as it was listed as being shown earlier in the week?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sounds like a good, dominant display - which it should have been I guess against a level 7 club as this age group competes well in the EFL Trophy against 3rd and 4th tier sides.

Wish it had been on MUTV, sounds like it would have been a good watch. I asked in the OP, but has anyone any idea why it ended up not being on as it was listed as being shown earlier in the week?
Might be on tomorrow.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I went to the Stalybridge Celtic game.

Apparently the commentary team got pinged so had to isolate so they didn’t have enough staff to cover match. Cameramen were there so they captured the game and will record a highlights programme tomorrow.

Iqbal and Hardley were standouts whilst Savage had a good steady game. The front three of Hoogewerf (who is a bit greedy with ball), McNeill and Emeran all worked hard. McNeill deserved a goal for his effort…he had one great chance to score but the ball bobbled just as he hit it.

Paul McShane strolled through the game and was replaced after 60 mins. His experience will come in handy.

Everyone else was ok. All the subs came on but no sign of Mejia.

A bcd friendly has been arranged v Hull City on the weekend.

Bertie Wooster

Apparently the commentary team got pinged so had to isolate so they didn’t have enough staff to cover match. Cameramen were there so they captured the game and will record a highlights programme tomorrow.

Iqbal and Hardley were standouts whilst Savage had a good steady game. The front three of Hoogewerf (who is a bit greedy with ball), McNeill and Emeran all worked hard. McNeill deserved a goal for his effort…he had one great chance to score but the ball bobbled just as he hit it.

Paul McShane strolled through the game and was replaced after 60 mins. His experience will come in handy.

Thanks for the report, and for the explanation about the MUTV coverage. :)

I've got used to away games not being shown because of covid / social distancing issues - but with no lockdown and fans now allowed, etc, it seemed strange if that had suddenly changed their plans. But the commentators issue makes sense and was just bad luck.

Good to hear that Iqbal, Hardley and Savage impressed.

Mickson

Cheers for that. Hopefully some highlights tomorrow! I agree that McShane will come handy in this team, I felt that leadership and experience were missing last season.

lysglimt

Scout

So is the thought that McShane will play since both Fish and Mengi will go out on loan, and Max Taylor has been released - and we in reality have no other central defenders in that age-group ?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Just caught the highlights which, tbf, were only the goals but that said - we looked fantastic. Some of the assists were better than the goals themselves.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Would be a tragedy if he didn't make it. All that hype and then a couple of injuries could basically kill off his career.

KBA

So is the thought that McShane will play since both Fish and Mengi will go out on loan, and Max Taylor has been released - and we in reality have no other central defenders in that age-group ?
I think Hardley will be too old for U18 the coming season, so he will probably play. Maybe Fernandez will get some games in the central defence also. Well, that is assuming that both Mengi and Bernard will go out on loans.

Personally I hope that Kambwala, whenever he'll be fit again, will get some games at the U23 too.