4. Will Fish (c)
  5. Reece Devine
  6. Martin Svidersky
  7. Shola Shoretire
  8. Charlie McCann
  9. Joe Hugill
  10. Hannibal Mejbri
  11. Anthony Elanga
SUBS - 12. Marc Jurado 13. Dermot Mee 14. Noam Emeram 15. Mark Helm 16. Charlie Savage

lysglimt

Scout
Fernandez been City's best player - and gifts City a goal. He is simply defensively hopeless

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
we seem to not have a clue how to play out from the back, it's like we know it's something other clubs do but why and how - it's a bit of a mystery...let's try it anyway

lysglimt

Scout
15 of the worst minutes I have seen from United this season - and we are lucky not be 3 down already.

lysglimt

Scout
The City-goalkeeper is called Slicker - City Slicker - you couldn't make that up :)

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
We've grown into the game now and have applied some good pressure on City after the 20th minute. Our pressing improved, and it allowed us to impose ourselves on City. Our biggest threat has come from Elanga on the right flank, and whilst we haven't necessarily created a great chance in this spell, we've at least progressed into their third and are playing more on the front foot now.

Bertie Wooster

we seem to not have a clue how to play out from the back, it's like we know it's something other clubs do but why and how - it's a bit of a mystery...let's try it anyway
Yeah, I love watching passing football and hate long ball stuff - but the passing out from the back even when under extreme pressure is being done now by so many teams who just don't have the personnel to do it.

When you watch the highlights shows each weekend there's so many goals given away by clumsy attempts at playing out from the back.

Our U23's do it every week and usually look so uncomfortable most of the time. I was even watching top of the table Hearts hammer bottom of the table Alloa 6-0 the other week and Alloa, who were completely outclassed, were trying to do it all the game and looked so out of their depth and even the 6th goal late on was from their keeper caught out still trying to do it.

It's a very good thing when done right. But, like every difficult attribute, you need players with the right skill level to be able to execute it correctly. It's like every teams doing it because it's the 'in thing', but so many are doing it poorly because they're not comfortable or good enough to do it.

Bertie Wooster

How old / young are City's key players in this U23 team?

They're well clear at the top, and look far better than us so far today. It's a bit worrying as all of our best youth talent is out there really.

The only consolation is that ours are mostly 17/18/19. I'm just wondering if City's are a year or two ahead, which would explain the gulf; or if they've also got plenty of teenagers out there as well - just looking a lot better than ours?

Sea-Cow

They're well clear at the top, and look far better than us so far today. It's a bit worrying as all of our best youth talent is out there really.

The only consolation is that ours are mostly 17/18/19. I'm just wondering if City's are a year or two ahead, which would explain the gulf; or if they've also got plenty of teenagers out there as well - just looking a lot better than ours?
I'm afraid to see the answer... I think we'll be left sad

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Here are their notable players and their ages:
  • Samuel Edozie (goalscorer): 18
  • Liam Delap: 18
  • Adrián Bernabé: 19
  • Tommy Doyle: 19
  • Cole Palmer: 18
For the most part, they're about the same age as us (or slightly older as we have only two 19-year-olds), though United probably have two of the youngest players in Shoretire and Hugill.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City

Gomes is 20 and Bernabe nearly. The big guns are Doyle (19), Delap and Palmer (18 both).

Bertie Wooster

Here are their notable players and their ages:
  • Samuel Edozie (goalscorer): 18
  • Liam Delap: 18
  • Adrián Bernabé: 19
  • Tommy Doyle: 19
  • Cole Palmer: 18
For the most part, they're about the same age as us (or slightly older as we have only two 19-year-olds), though United probably have two of the youngest players in Shoretire and Hugill.
Gomes is 20 and Bernabe nearly. The big guns are Doyle (19), Delap and Palmer (18 both).
Thanks to both.
So they're mostly teenagers as well, but on average maybe a year older than ours?
I guess a year can make a big development difference at that age, but it looks like they've got some good teenagers coming through as well. Though whether they get any more opportunities than the previous City graduates is another story...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Has Bernabé been earmarked for loan moves? If so, which clubs are interested in taking him in? To me, he's looked very good, defensively, I feel like he's ready to play first-team football.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Thanks to both.
So they're mostly teenagers as well, with maybe a year difference between some. I guess a year can make a big development difference at that age, but it looks like they've got some good teenagers coming through as well. Though whether they give this lot any more opportunities than their previous graduates is another story.
This season, both Liam Delap and Tommy Doyle have already received first-team minutes (Delap scoring on his debut, too, unsurprisingly), whilst I do remember seeing Cole Palmer on city's bench on several occasions.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Worth remembering they probably have 2 actual CBs playing, a regular RB etc. I'm sure it's good for Devine and Savage to learn new roles but it's hardly likely to improve the cohesion and quality of the team.

Bertie Wooster

This season, both Liam Delap and Tommy Doyle have already received first-team minutes (Delap scoring on his debut, too, unsurprisingly), whilst I do remember seeing Cole Palmer on city's bench on several occasions.
Ah.
I do remember Delap playing and scoring. I didn't know about the other two.

Davie Moyes

I would not worry too much about City's youngsters. They are clearly good and have a good set up for a while. They also benefit from a clear playing style and structure that has been in place since Pep arrived.

I still can't see them getting much chances in the first team unless they are Foden level. We should instead be pleased we ourselves have a good crop and we actually give chances to ours.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
This game is definitely one way traffic for the most part. Our players are getting frustrated, too.

lysglimt

Scout
Is it just me, or has Shoretire grown? He looks taller to me right now.
I hope I am wrong - but Shoretire looks ... less interested since being called up to the first team. Not as hard-working....

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fernandez having a very poor game. 3-0 now with another mistake from the young Spaniard.

macheda14

Some of our players look like they are blowing a bit. Hannibal, Elanga & Shoretire for example.
There’s also the possibility that training is more intense with the first team? I might be chatting breeze, but they’d be training with fully grown men.

GueRed

comfortable win for city.

controlled the game from start to finish

we didnt test their keeper enough.

must bounce back next week against Chelsea

Bertie Wooster