U23s: Manchester United vs Liverpool

settembrini

Great move getting Sbargia in. This is a decent lineup. We've very good managers at U18 and First Team level, why is there a clown at this level? Butt has done some seriously good work in his role but this appointment has been pathetic.
Agree with you about Sbragia, an underwhelming appointment that is looking worse and worse by the week. What has Butt done to impress you btw?

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Joyce was doing a wonderful job with some of these players while sbragia has really brought in regression. We need a better coach at this level. Maybe someone from foreign lands again who can impart better tactical and technical education.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Shame to see us looking so toothless at this level, when we look so great at Under 18 level.

Perhaps this is just a bit of a poor group of players, and we will see a rise once the current under 18's move up.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I was also wondering when was the last time we had a reserve team that had so few first team squad members involved? Even the most fringe first team players don’t seem to be featuring (apart from an occasional waddle out for Shaw). Which is bound to make the team Sbragia puts out weaker than in previous seasons (and other teams in the league). It’s all a bit odd.

Robindinho

Sarcasm aside he really should have taken such a job for one year or something. His ego is too strong for that it seems, though.
I agree, it’s as though he thinks he deserves a premier league team on the basis on four games as interim and assistant to lvg. Really don’t understand why he refuses any lower league jobs yet carries on spouting how he’d love to get into management.

jb8521

What is also a bit concerning is that this team isn't missing a lot of players who are out on loan - a few yes, but not more than that. Of course Liverpool will field a stronger side since they aren't playing tomorrow - but I can hardly see more than 2-3 players who would play without that match tomorrow. And James Wilson doesn't belong at this level - what happens if he goes on loan on january ?
Henderson, Poole, Borthwick-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah, Willock, Pereira, Redmond all loaned out, McTominay, J. Pereira & Tuanzebe with the first team and Olosunde & Gribbin missing most of the season with Williams & Dearnley both just back is quite a few players to be missing. We should still be doing far better with the players we have available but it's not as if it's anywhere close to being as strong as we could be

SteveW

The u23 league is starting to feel a bit pointless to be honest. By their 20s players are either good enough for our first team squad and therefore not really used in this or gone out on loan to get proper first team football experience. It's just a kind of hold all for injured players or stagnating prospects. Why bother with it?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The u23 league is starting to feel a bit pointless to be honest. By their 20s players are either good enough for our first team squad and therefore not really used in this or gone out on loan to get proper first team football experience. It's just a kind of hold all for injured players or stagnating prospects. Why bother with it?
It isn't, its where the best teenagers in the country play. The league is set up horribly but it clearly isn't pointless as all of these players need to play somewhere and it is a few levels above u18s level.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Agree with you about Sbragia, an underwhelming appointment that is looking worse and worse by the week. What has Butt done to impress you btw?
Got rid of the old guard and bought a very good U18 manager. Consistent overhauling our youth scouting including poaching two scouts from City and making it competitive. Our youth acquisitions under him have also been very good as demonstrated by our youth team this season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I was also wondering when was the last time we had a reserve team that had so few first team squad members involved? Even the most fringe first team players don’t seem to be featuring (apart from an occasional waddle out for Shaw). Which is bound to make the team Sbragia puts out weaker than in previous seasons (and other teams in the league). It’s all a bit odd.
Reserve games were always used years ago to give fringe players a run out. It is no wonder when they have to come into the first team they are so off the pace. He might play McTominay tonight, when was the last time he had a decent amount of time in a game?

buchansleftleg

there was a 10 minute period lat night where Redmond stepped up and we bossed the game - got the equaliser and looked threatening. then Redmond went passive and we lost the initiative in midfield again. Not criticising the lad- that's what you get with young players...Manager did not seem to see or react to this or tweak things.

confidence is low but there are flashes of talent in the team. i'm surprised no-one from Mourinho's backroom staff are not involved more.

Acole9

Outstanding
there was a 10 minute period lat night where Redmond stepped up and we bossed the game - got the equaliser and looked threatening. then Redmond went passive and we lost the initiative in midfield again. Not criticising the lad- that's what you get with young players...Manager did not seem to see or react to this or tweak things.

confidence is low but there are flashes of talent in the team. i'm surprised no-one from Mourinho's backroom staff are not involved more.
I thought he was at Scunthorpe on loan?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Shame to see us looking so toothless at this level, when we look so great at Under 18 level.

Perhaps this is just a bit of a poor group of players, and we will see a rise once the current under 18's move up.
I think the cream of the crop have moved on. Tuanzebe, pereira, B Jackson, Fosu-Mensah aren’t there anymore while Gribbin and some of the other remaining talents are out injured.

SteveW

It isn't, its where the best teenagers in the country play. The league is set up horribly but it clearly isn't pointless as all of these players need to play somewhere and it is a few levels above u18s level.
Would they not be better served by going on loan? Standard of the u23s league is quite poor

Robbo*

Would they not be better served by going on loan? Standard of the u23s league is quite poor
Seems these days that the best sides - sadly often Chelsea and City - are playing very talented lads up the age groups i.e. 17 year olds like Gomes playing in the U23s. But then the gap between the U23s and the first team remains as large as (larger than) ever - therefore, some of the lads are looking at 5 or 6 years in this league, which in turn leads to a loss of zip and zest. Tricky one to fix.

limerickcitykid

Some would but not all 17-19 year olds are ready to play first team football nor will be able to find a club willing to give them the opportunity to play. No doubt the league is a bit shit, having B teams would massively help but of course will never happen.

SteveW

Seems these days that the best sides - sadly often Chelsea and City - are playing very talented lads up the age groups i.e. 17 year olds like Gomes playing in the U23s. But then the gap between the U23s and the first team remains as large as (larger than) ever - therefore, some of the lads are looking at 5 or 6 years in this league, which in turn leads to a loss of zip and zest. Tricky one to fix.
Some would but not all 17-19 year olds are ready to play first team football nor will be able to find a club willing to give them the opportunity to play. No doubt the league is a bit shit, having B teams would massively help but of course will never happen.
Agreed. There's a real lack of quality or buzz associated with it at the moment. United don't seem too interested in it. Appointed a crap coach, loaning out the better players or just not playing them like happened with TFM last season. Even Gomes has been kept at u18 this season despite being easily good enough to play in the u23s. Just doesn't seem to be a great team to develop within. No real quality players to learn from or compete with.

Beaucoup

I don't get the point of the U23's, reserves yes, because the lads got to learn and play with the pro's. Most of them must realise they'll never make the first team and should probably move on, but they don't, I guess when you see the cars these lads pull up to training you realise how comfortable they must be.

ThemanGiggsy

How did Roshun Williams play? Always thought he had a decent amount of potential, and seemed to do well with Axel.

jb8521

How did Roshun Williams play? Always thought he had a decent amount of potential, and seemed to do well with Axel.
He was pretty poor and lacking in sharpness but that's not particularly surprising after basically being out for the past year with injuries

limerickcitykid

Our defence has looked all over the shop this season even with Axel playing. Clearly something wrong going on there and we all know the players are capable, especially the CBs.

Robbo*

He was pretty poor and lacking in sharpness but that's not particularly surprising after basically being out for the past year with injuries
Can Williams play at RB? Not sure I've seen him used there but it's usually where these young defenders get their first chance in the first team.

Assuming Mourinho remains manager next season, do we reckon there's space in the first team squad for both TFM and Tuanzebe?

jb8521

Can Williams play at RB? Not sure I've seen him used there but it's usually where these young defenders get their first chance in the first team.

Assuming Mourinho remains manager next season, do we reckon there's space in the first team squad for both TFM and Tuanzebe?
He can and has played there a few times but I don't think it particularly suits him, I think he's better in the centre. I'd have Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah involved now ahead of some of the other players in the squad

Robbo*

He can and has played there a few times but I don't think it particularly suits him, I think he's better in the centre. I'd have Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah involved now ahead of some of the other players in the squad
Yeah, I would have them involved now too. I'm just wondering where the space will crop up for those two and Ro-Shaun (and O'Connor?) in coming years. Not impossible, though, if its decided that Darmian/Smalling/Blind/Valencia/Young/Shaw have run their race and we need some fresh blood