U23s - Manchester United vs Newcastle

dabeast

TFM looking like Kante and Mejbri has made Angel Gomes inessential. He is bigger, faster, more tenacious. Why can't he play in the first team and why can't Timbo start?

In Rainbows

TFM looking like Kante and Mejbri has made Angel Gomes inessential. He is bigger, faster, more tenacious. Why can't he play in the first team and why can't Timbo start?
Mejbri isn't like Gomes. Just because he's playing as a 10 doesn't change that. He's a box to box midfielder. Timbo wasn't all that great today either.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This is a pretty weak u23 side they’re up against. Just what they need though, very promising

In Rainbows

Reminds JB of Zidane.

He has characteristics of several players. I like to think of him as Ander Herrera, but more skilled. Very scrappy player, but with the technical quality and vision that Herrera doesn't have. If I was to think of a player similar to Zidane it would be Rayan Cherki in technical skill. However, the midfield qualities make Mejbri more similar to Zidane than Cherki, who is more of a forward.

Out of our midfielders I think of Levitt and Gomes as more similar. Similar, but different just like Modric and Kroos are.

I don't know. Mejbri has qualities of a lot of players. He's a very well rounded player. I think it would be fun to rank our youth midfielders on certain qualities like technical skill, vision, touch, tricky feet, quick thinking, passing technique, striking, etc...

Ekeke

this season’s Lingard - the one who starts nearly every game lately
Since we see that Lingard about twice a half, and maybe doing one good thing in 90 minutes then yes I'd say Mejbri is likely to have slightly more influence on the pitch already

Robin

Made hard work of that, like watching the first team for the last 15 minutes, get a lead and hanging on.

Mickson

He has characteristics of several players. I like to think of him as Ander Herrera, but more skilled. Very scrappy player, but with the technical quality and vision that Herrera doesn't have. If I was to think of a player similar to Zidane it would be Rayan Cherki in technical skill. However, the midfield qualities make Mejbri more similar to Zidane than Cherki, who is more of a forward.

Out of our midfielders I think of Levitt and Gomes as more similar. Similar, but different just like Modric and Kroos are.

I don't know. Mejbri has qualities of a lot of players. He's a very well rounded player. I think it would be fun to rank our youth midfielders on certain qualities like technical skill, vision, touch, tricky feet, quick thinking, passing technique, striking, etc...
A little bit of a young Fabregas I would say.

God, when Traore is awful he is truly awful. Not a winger, I think we can say that.

mu4c_20le

Very impressed by Mejbri, Laird and Bernard. Timbo and Mellor were decent. Traore not so much, seems to rely too much on his physical attributes and technique looks a bit raw, clumsy even.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think Mejbri probably has great potential, but I think he’s in a situation where all of the poor stuff is ignored because some may be desperate to label him some generational talent. I see a lot I like when I watch him, but then I see him produce poor touches leading him to a tackle very often, and i’d like to see him dribble away from his man more often too. For me, his standout quality so far seems to be his understanding of the game. He has great spatial awareness and knows where to be. He also has a top passing range. He’s only 16 of course, and there’s more to come.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I watched this live ( my first reserves match) the atmosphere was great, nearly 2000 people on a Friday night in Leigh. Bailey looks like he will struggle in the first team TFM would get away with it in our midfield but seriously wtf is Ole playin at, play garner for feck sake we need midfielders and we have a brilliant one here.

Do all reserve games get this many fans attending ? I wasn't expecting half of the amount that turned up.

jymufc20

Mejbri isn't like Gomes. Just because he's playing as a 10 doesn't change that. He's a box to box midfielder. Timbo wasn't all that great today either.
He did nothing other than that run in the second half where he nearly scored.

Utdstar01

He did nothing other than that run in the second half where he nearly scored.
Wasn't really given a major role tbh. Just seemed to be in a dcm position where he would lay the ball off and break up play every now and then. It's the minutes he needs.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I watched this live ( my first reserves match) the atmosphere was great, nearly 2000 people on a Friday night in Leigh. Bailey looks like he will struggle in the first team TFM would get away with it in our midfield but seriously wtf is Ole playin at, play garner for feck sake we need midfielders and we have a brilliant one here.

Do all reserve games get this many fans attending ? I wasn't expecting half of the amount that turned up.
Haha, in fairness all us regular reserves watchers have been raving about how good Garner is for a few years now. I like to believe Garner would’ve seen some minutes over December but he seemed to get injured at the wrong time, same as Levitt, we had quite the midfield injury crisis from top to bottom. I’ve surprisingly seen a few doubts about Garner on RedCafe and Reddit but in my opinion, he’s one of the best midfielders I’ve seen at the academy in years, we’d be a bit mental not to give him a couple of appearances in the first team this season just to get a little bit of experience.

jymufc20

Haha, in fairness all us regular reserves watchers have been raving about how good Garner is for a few years now. I like to believe Garner would’ve seen some minutes over December but he seemed to get injured at the wrong time, same as Levitt, we had quite the midfield injury crisis from top to bottom. I’ve surprisingly seen a few doubts about Garner on RedCafe and Reddit but in my opinion, he’s one of the best midfielders I’ve seen at the academy in years, we’d be a bit mental not to give him a couple of appearances in the first team this season just to get a little bit of experience.
From what I have seen of him (not just tonight) he deserves a chance, especially considering how depleted we are in midfield at the minute It would be criminal to leave him out.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Watched it on the replay at 23:00 as I usually do, got to circa 52 minutes and Mengi and Garner had exchanged half a dozen passes then Garner set himself for a big diagonal, then click, the screen went black and stayed that way for 5 minutes then when it did come back on it was Ryan Giggs friggin golf day, followed by the Official Utd Podcast featuring Jesse Lingard :mad:

Did anybody watch it @18:30, and did the same thing happen then?

Fosu-Mens

For me, his standout quality so far seems to be his understanding of the game. He has great spatial awareness and knows where to be.
Two elements that are extremely difficult to coach or train. The technique can be drilled, and physicality and getting better control over the body as he gets used to his frame will also happen as he grows older.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Robbo.

Curly hair too. Uncanny.

khoazany

Wonder if we will let couple of players on this side out on loan so that we can play Hannibal/Helm more on the second half of the season. We have too many midfielders as things stand.

In Rainbows

Might be a bit rusty since he's not played a match in 9 months?
Yep. It's understandable. It's not even that he played badly. It's just that if you compare him to him from years ago at youth level, he used to tackle more in the middle of the park to win the ball back. He seemed quite reserved this match. This was more of a fitness match to me.