U23s - Manchester United vs Reading

Thiagoal

Looking forward to seeing Dalot and Rojo get some minutes! Wonder if Chong will play after internationals?

lysglimt

Scout
Beware of Danny Loader - from what I have read about him, he is supposed to be special.

lysglimt

Scout
This has been the worst 20 minutes from the reserves this season - and Dalot looks pretty far away from being ready for the P.L

lysglimt

Scout
We are taking defensive blunders to a new height...but miraculously aren't punished :)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Reading taught us a real footballing lesson in my opinion.

Seven Seas Sardines

Hm...not ready for P.L - in your mind that means he is garbage ?
For "the most talented full-back in Europe" to be far from ready for PL can't mean much else. I only saw the last ten minutes and didn't get to see much of him, was he playing RWB? I almost never saw him in his right-back position.

kundalini

No surprise Sbragia drops Buffonge who's been the best player so far this season. Guy is beyond useless.
You're a game late. Got dropped for the Stoke game, came on as a sub in that match. Started the first three matches.

Bohui's goal was his first at this level, in his 15th start. Dearnley with his first assist, in his 13th start.

Ro-Shaun Williams with his 43rd start at this level. He is now older than the average PL U23 player by 5 months. Josh Harrop left United having made 42 starts in the U23 league, Devonte Redmond 45, Joe Riley 47, Will Keane 48, Vermijl 62, Tom Thorpe 65 (according to transfermarkt).

By the way, game finished 1-1.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
For "the most talented full-back in Europe" to be far from ready for PL can't mean much else. I only saw the last ten minutes and didn't get to see much of him, was he playing RWB? I almost never saw him in his right-back position.
In all the video clips of him, I thought he looked more like a RWB (his positioning and style of play).

Maybe all part of Jose's plan to go 532 next season. Or maybe not.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Which of our youngsters played best?
Nobody really impressed me much tonight. We couldn’t handle their press and gave the ball away a lot as a result. If I had to pick, Chong and Williams played best from what I saw, although I did fall asleep at half time and missed the first 10 mins of the second.

Robbo*

You're a game late. Got dropped for the Stoke game, came on as a sub in that match. Started the first three matches.

Bohui's goal was his first at this level, in his 15th start. Dearnley with his first assist, in his 13th start.

Ro-Shaun Williams with his 43rd start at this level. He is now older than the average PL U23 player by 5 months. Josh Harrop left United having made 42 starts in the U23 league, Devonte Redmond 45, Joe Riley 47, Will Keane 48, Vermijl 62, Tom Thorpe 65 (according to transfermarkt).

By the way, game finished 1-1.
Roshaun needs a loan in January I think, although even if he does well then he'd still be behind TFM and Tuanzebe in bigger picture.

lysglimt

Scout
He is not garbage - far from it. But he did not stand out - like he should at this level. What concerned me more was that he seemed to struggle the few times Reading got physical in the 1 half. When he can't cope better at this level - he will struggle at first team level. So we could have another Evra-situation here, where he needs 6-7-8 months before he learns to deal with the P.L

He was a rb in a 4-3-3 - but going forward quite a bit.

In Rainbows

He was really good defensively and made some fantastic tackles. Looks a class player.
That didn't really impress me as much as his general willingness to play under pressure. A lot of midfielders will play it back as soon as they get pressured and Garner did the opposite. He would find a way to escape from pressure and also calm enough to pick out a better pass from that. Very impressive.

Joseunited

He was really good defensively and made some fantastic tackles. Looks a class player.
He does but he has a strange way of going into tackles I saw last night where he sort of turns away from the opponent as he puts his foot in for the tackle.Good defensive mid though with decent passing range.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Really nice goal tbf.

Still not sure about Garner myself. Lack of pace and strange balance may hurt him at the top level. Not a bad player by any means but I'm not sure he's much better than Pearson was for example. Still, he's very young and has a lot to like about his play as well.

khoazany

I actually like Levitt more than Garner but he's class no doubt and defo a "Mourinho player".

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Hamilton and Buffonge made the step up at the same age and looked comfortable, then fell away sharply, don't think this lad will

Wouldn't be surprised if Garner is a first-team regular in midfield, or central defence by the time he's 19 whoever the Manager is