U23s - Manchester United vs Reading

dutchred

The Pogba comparison is odd. He's always in the right defensive positions only moving forward at the right moments. He has that thing Jose was on about at the weekend. An awareness of where he should be if we lose the ball at any particular time. The anti-Pogba in many ways. They'd compliment each other well.
I agree. I think he will compliment Pogba. With some luck with injuries our midfield and attack nest year could look like
Garner Pogba
Gomes
Rashford Greenwood Martial

With Mac James and Chong as reserves

In Rainbows

How does Garner do defensively in these games? Is he able to shut down the middle and control that area of the pitch?

Or is he, similar to the Pogba comparisons, more focused on hurting teams when we are in possession, and the other midfielders can do the bulk of the defending?
He's the primary source of defending from our midfielders.

Sigurvin

How did the Reading keeper do? Seems to be some hype around him here in Iceland but I've never seen him play.

lysglimt

Scout
The Pogba comparison is odd. He's always in the right defensive positions only moving forward at the right moments. He has that thing Jose was on about at the weekend. An awareness of where he should be if we lose the ball at any particular time. The anti-Pogba in many ways. They'd compliment each other well.
I never said they play the same kind of football. But when you look at Garner, you can see that he doesn't give 100% all the time, yet still he is the best player on the pitch. When Pogba was playing for the reserves - in lack of a better expression, he looked bored and arrogant when he played. He still has some of that for the first team "I am too good to be here" - Garner has some of the same. With both players you know there is more! And to clarify - I mean "too good to be here" in a good way.

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
I think he's brilliant. Good going forward, defending and a bit of bite about him.
Glad to hear that, his performance in the first half was so assured that he looked like he’d push Shaw for a starting place.

Joseunited

Mightily impressed by Ethan Galbraith yet again, as talented as Dylan Levitt is I wouldn't be surprised if Ethan beats him in stepping up into the first-team, and as early as this year, the game just comes natural to him.
I thought the game passed him by last night!He has more physical presence than Levitt and looks a yard quicker, maybe the AMC role isn't his best position.
Garner once again is on another level, i'm not sure how much longer he'll be playing at U23 level he looks a dead cert for 1st team football.

Second half was a good watch, Reading came out of the blocks really fast but we kept our shape and took over after 60 minutes.

Vissy

Galbraith could be better on the RW than Puigmal, and vice versa.

Bestietom

Garner is a confident young man and it's time to give him his chance. Another I liked is Galbraith, who is near a call up. imo.

Mickson

I thought the game passed him by last night!He has more physical presence than Levitt and looks a yard quicker, maybe the AMC role isn't his best position.
Garner once again is on another level, i'm not sure how much longer he'll be playing at U23 level he looks a dead cert for 1st team football.

Second half was a good watch, Reading came out of the blocks really fast but we kept our shape and took over after 60 minutes.
I hade the same picture regarding Galbraith for the first match as well. He has currently 0 points in an AMC role and United have scored 9 goals so far. Maybe he's better further back. I think he's tidy but the games is passing him by. A neat touch here and there but need to be more relevant in the final third. I would like to see Puigmal in the center. He's better at RW than RB but he's still in the wrong position.

Vissy

I think Puigmal is much better centrally than Galbraith. His movement has improved over the last few months, he can pick out a great pass and can chip in with goals from cutbacks and the such.

Brightonian

Garner scoring all these goals is making me nervous. Someone who actually watched the recent games: he's still a deep-lying midfielder, right? That's so clearly the spot that is open for opportunities in the first team, it'd be a shame if we decided he didn't have the defensive game for it.

Brightonian

I agree. I think he will compliment Pogba. With some luck with injuries our midfield and attack nest year could look like
Garner Pogba
Gomes
Rashford Greenwood Martial

With Mac James and Chong as reserves
Warms the heart to see that. A top-four quality midfield/attack, 5/6 academy graduates. Bit gung-ho, of course, but you could adjust it for more challenging games to something like this:

McTominay Garner
Pogba
James Martial Rashford​

Mark Pawelek

Garner scoring all these goals is making me nervous. Someone who actually watched the recent games: he's still a deep-lying midfielder, right? That's so clearly the spot that is open for opportunities in the first team, it'd be a shame if we decided he didn't have the defensive game for it.
As far as retaining the ball goes, he seems to have a better defensive game than Fred or Matic. His pass completion stats look better than any United midfielder against Chelsea. Right now, United don't have a top defensive midfielder. Garner's goals are scored from outside the box (occasionally from just within), while making a run from central midfield. Nothing dangerous to the team about that, is there? In other words: Garner doesn't get way out of position going down the wings to attack like Pogba, Pereira, or Gomes will. Garner occupies the same space as Matic and McTominay currently do.

Last edited:

Brightonian

As far as retaining the ball goes, he seems to have a better defensive game than Fred or Matic. His pass completion stats look better than any United midfielder against Chelsea. Right now, United don't have a top defensive midfielder. Garner's goals are scored from outside the box (occasionally from just within), while making a run from central midfield. Nothing dangerous to the team about that, is there?
Good, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Bestietom

Warms the heart to see that. A top-four quality midfield/attack, 5/6 academy graduates. Bit gung-ho, of course, but you could adjust it for more challenging games to something like this:

McTominay Garner
Pogba
James Martial Rashford​
Looks good, hope Ole tries it soon.

Redo91

Isn’t it Reading that have that really young keeper with the double barrel name we were linked with? Think he played against us for their under 23’s last season. Has he lost his place I wonder?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Isn’t it Reading that have that really young keeper with the double barrel name we were linked with? Think he played against us for their under 23’s last season. Has he lost his place I wonder?
Is Coniah Boyce-Clarke the one you mean?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He still operates at the base but Levitt and Galbraith are both well rounded CMs which creates a lot more space and opportunities for Jimmy to hit the edge of the box. Add in playing a CM at RW too and there is just so much cover and interchangeability in the side. Our first team isn't set up in the same way so he wouldn't get these same chances.

Jimmy also used to play CB and has been trusted to drop back there in important games last season too so I doubt we have concerns about his defensive side when we play him at CB at times.

SteveW

I never said they play the same kind of football. But when you look at Garner, you can see that he doesn't give 100% all the time, yet still he is the best player on the pitch. When Pogba was playing for the reserves - in lack of a better expression, he looked bored and arrogant when he played. He still has some of that for the first team "I am too good to be here" - Garner has some of the same. With both players you know there is more! And to clarify - I mean "too good to be here" in a good way.
I dont see that in him. He looks pretty tuned in to me.

SteveW

Still deep lying. Defensively sound, backing up the play. Seems to have just decided to start scoring in every game all of sudden. Guess he's just that good.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

I think the lad himself would admit AMC isn't his best position but while we continue with the those three playing centrally he is better suited to that role than either Levitt or Garner, where it leaves Aliou Traore who has more tools in his box to play that AMC role than anybody in the current u23 squad is anybodies guess, if he's not currently carrying an injury i'd say his days at the club are numbered.

With you on Garner, been calling for him to be with the first-team since the day I joined the forum.

Be interesting to see how the team lines up once Garner steps up full-time, or goes out on loan, i'd prefer something like:

Mellor
Ramazani Levitt Puigmal Elenga
Galbraith​

.... than how we're set-up now.

khoazany

Does absence of Gomes from this game means he will be traveling with the first team to Wolves?
Gomes Chong Greenwood has been treated as first teamers this season so they won't play U23s games unless for fitness reason.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Gomes Chong Greenwood has been treated as first teamers this season so they won't play U23s games unless for fitness reason.
They'll play in the Johnstones trophy or whatever it's called.