U23s: Manchester United vs West Ham

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
With Gribbin, Dearnley, Gomes, Wilson (and Williams if he finds form) etc in the squad it should be one of our best squads I can remember. They're all top talents. The problem seems to be getting them in a team together at the same time.
Hm.

Gribbin and especially Gomes are promising. Dearnley, Hamilton and Williams all have an outside chance I think. Wilson and Mitchell are going on loan at last. Tuanzebe and Riley should be too I hope. I really doubt any of Richardson, Warren, Scott, Olosunde, Bohui or Redmond will make it. There are some others too like Sang who I am surprised are still at United.

Would hope to see some loans and Buffonge, Boonen, Chong, Barlow etc. to play more at this level.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I can't remember a time when there were so many young players at the club who don't seem to have a good chance of making it. Clearout needed.

The u18 group is much more promising thankfully.
Last years u18s were called much more promising as well and now the majority are in the u23s how aren't they promising anymore?

Last edited:

OohAahMartial

I thought last year was bad because of a lack of coach and no striker. So what is it this year when we seem to be even worse? Not impressed by Sbragia so far.

POF

I thought last year was bad because of a lack of coach and no striker. So what is it this year when we seem to be even worse? Not impressed by Sbragia so far.
Me neither.

Give it Scholesy end t'season.

yamo123x

Do people on here actually watch the games or just feel the need to pass comment?

For a few years now the u23 team have been poor, so many average steady players and I include mctominay in that-a few bad injuries to promising players like Gribbin and Roshaun has not helped.

It's time for many of these to move on. I would rather give younger players the chance at this level like Gomes, Boonen, Toure,Buffonge, Tanner - time is on their side and development is key.

I forget the last time a loan was successful and a player came back ready to move up to the next level.

limerickcitykid

Is that right? Everyone would have Gomes down as the most promising of last season’s U-18s and he’s only got his first run out with the U-23s this week.
Yes it is. Gomes is one player, people were calling the whole team impressive last year not just Gomes. He is in the u23s now anyway and has not played much for the u18s this season either.

Callum Whelan was the most constant in the u18s and now in u23s but not getting many games.

George Tanner was mainstay RB, he is still with the u18s but the u23s have had Joe Riley anyway who is good.

Jake Kenyon, u18s regular, now in u23s but not getting a game.

Indy Boonen, made up apart of the much acclaimed attack with Angel Gomes in the u18s. Now in the u23s.

Tyrell Warren, very highly rated defender in the u18s. Now in the u23s.

Ethan Hamilton, very good player. Now in the u23s.

Josh Bohui, was more impressive than Burkhart last season and the spearhead of the acclaimed attack. Now in the u23s.

DJ Buffonge, great season in midfield for the u18s earning rave reviews. Now in the u23s.

Zak Dearnley, now with the u23s.

Roshaun Williams and Gribbin who played a bit with the u18s last season. Now fully with the u23s.

That is the majority of last years u18s. Just missing are Lee O'Connor who is a massive talent. George Tanner mentioned previously, Tahith Chong who missed over half of last season anyway, and Barlow who was only a sub impact player for the most part last season.

OohAahMartial

Yes it is. Gomes is one player, people were calling the whole team impressive last year not just Gomes. He is in the u23s now anyway and has not played much for the u18s this season either.

Callum Whelan was the most constant in the u18s and now in u23s but not getting many games.

George Tanner was mainstay RB, he is still with the u18s but the u23s have had Joe Riley anyway who is good.

Indy Boonen, made up apart of the much acclaimed attack with Angel Gomes in the u18s. Now in the u23s.

Josh Bohui, was more impressive than Burkhart last season and the spearhead of the acclaimed attack. Now in the u23s.

DJ Buffonge, great season in midfield for the u18s earning rave reviews. Now in the u23s.

Roshaun Williams and Gribbin who played a bit with the u18s last season. Now fully with the u23s.

That is the majority of last years u18s. Just missing are Lee O'Connor who is a massive talent. George Tanner mentioned previously, Tahith Chong who missed over half of last season anyway, and Barlow who was only a sub impact player for the most part last season.
Good summary. So is the problem melding the u23s and former u18s into a new merged team? Or the younger ones struggling with the jump?

mattunited1978

doommonger
Agree about sbragia....Think he's been terrible so far. Seems more interested in scraping the odd result with bad football and a team full of grafters, rather than developing the lads with any talent.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
We had a decent unbeaten run before Christmas, even though the attacking play was still pathetic and I think it was the City game the performance was better.

However overall nobody can deny that it’s a bit worrying how it’s gone under RS so far.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Do people on here actually watch the games or just feel the need to pass comment?

For a few years now the u23 team have been poor, so many average steady players and I include mctominay in that-a few bad injuries to promising players like Gribbin and Roshaun has not helped.

It's time for many of these to move on. I would rather give younger players the chance at this level like Gomes, Boonen, Toure,Buffonge, Tanner - time is on their side and development is key.

I forget the last time a loan was successful and a player came back ready to move up to the next level.
Why would you start your post like that, and then go on to give the exact same summary as everyone else?

Robbo*

Any idea why O'Connor hasn't moved up?

limerickcitykid

Any idea why O'Connor hasn't moved up?
No clue tbh, I haven't been happy with how slow we promote players for years. Apart from Gomes recently getting promoted having sorted the contract stuff Ercolani is the only second year scholar in the u23s. Someone who struggled to get playing time for the u23s and yet is the first promoted. Tbf he hasn't looked bad but it doesn't really make much sense to me. Other teams top talents are in the u23s by 16/17, yet ares aren't getting up until 18. After Gomes, O'Connor was the best u18s player last year. Why are players wasting their time at a level they've already looked too good for? I have no clue. Hopefully with a few going out on loan we'll see him promoted in the next month. Its something I think we really need to change but it doesn't seem to be happening. Sure more talented first year u23s like Buffonge are even struggling to get games which is ridiculous imo while some of those others are somehow getting game time.

Robbo*

No clue tbh, I haven't been happy with how slow we promote players for years. Apart from Gomes recently getting promoted having sorted the contract stuff Ercolani is the only second year scholar in the u23s. Someone who struggled to get playing time for the u23s and yet is the first promoted. Tbf he hasn't looked bad but it doesn't really make much sense to me. Other teams top talents are in the u23s by 16/17, yet ares aren't getting up until 18. After Gomes, O'Connor was the best u18s player last year. Why are players wasting their time at a level they've already looked too good for? I have no clue. Hopefully with a few going out on loan we'll see him promoted in the next month. Its something I think we really need to change but it doesn't seem to be happening. Sure more talented first year u23s like Buffonge are even struggling to get games which is ridiculous imo while some of those others are somehow getting game time.
Yes, it's a strange approach. When we play city and Chelsea at U23 level they seem to effectively be U18 sides with a couple of exceptions but we have a number of 21/22 year olds who we are yet to make a definitive decision on - see Redmond currently as an example. Saying that, Lingard is currently proving that some players require a lot more time and patience so I guess it's a difficult balance to find. Not many of those city and Chelsea players who are featuring in U23 league at 16/17 are ultimately playing in the PL (at least for those clubs), which also isn't ideal.

limerickcitykid

Yes, it's a strange approach. When we play city and Chelsea at U23 level they seem to effectively be U18 sides with a couple of exceptions but we have a number of 21/22 year olds who we are yet to make a definitive decision on - see Redmond currently as an example. Saying that, Lingard is currently proving that some players require a lot more time and patience so I guess it's a difficult balance to find. Not many of those city and Chelsea players who are featuring in U23 league at 16/17 are ultimately playing in the PL (at least for those clubs), which also isn't ideal.
I don't mind seeing the likes of Wilson or Riley in there for a bit while we help them recover from injuries and get back up to speed as they've been top promising talents, especially Wilson. But like you mention, someone like Redmond isn't good enough and it makes no sense for him to be taking games from better talents. Matty Willock as well who we at least loaned out. It leads to our players being 19 and having barely any u23s experience when by that stage they should be on the brink of looking for loans. I think we are very poor at that development stage.

I don't think Lingard is a very good example for this problem though. He was breaking into the reserves at 17 and by the 11/12 season when he was 18/19 he was a star player for the reserves. He even made the first team bench a couple times at 18 and 19. He required a couple of extra loans and more time to develop into our senior team but he wasn't held back between the u18s and reserves.

The Chelsea and City players not getting a chance in their first team is a different problem altogether

lysglimt

Scout
With Gribbin, Dearnley, Gomes, Wilson (and Williams if he finds form) etc in the squad it should be one of our best squads I can remember. They're all top talents. The problem seems to be getting them in a team together at the same time.
There are a lot of talents just below the U23 - but defensively the U23-side is average at best.

khoazany

There are a lot of talents just below the U23 - but defensively the U23-side is average at best.
Our youth side has always look average defensively regardless of who play, the last time we weren't was when we have Tuanzebe, Williams, TFM, CBJ and Reid altogether.

kundalini

Average age of U23 squads today from Transfermarkt, in order of current League position (which may well be out of date given how slow Transfermarkt are at updating U23 results and stats):

Liverpool 20.0
Leicester 20.2
Arsenal 19.7
West Ham 19.7
Everton 20.2
Swansea 20.4
Man C 19.1
Derby 19.6
Chelsea 19.7
Sunderland 20.0
Man United 19.6
Spurs 19.9

(the recent departures of James Wilson and Demi Mitchell on loan, and the return of Redmond, will have had a minimal impact on our average. I would imagine some of the other sides have also sent older players on loan or sold, during the Jan transfer window)