U23s - Manchester United vs West Ham

lysglimt

Scout
Brandon Williams saves Teden Mengi after a horrible pass from the latter. Williams been really bright so far

prateik

How is williams defensively? because going forward he looks fine.

Gordon S

Not sure how much he (Gomes) benefits from playing games at this level anymore?

fps

Well, if the scores were level in a PL match, he would need to get his team a winner with a goal or assist. So there's that, I guess, as a challenge for the rest of the match? Because the first teamers get slaughtered on here for not doing so.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
How is williams defensively? because going forward he looks fine.
Their goal is a good example of it. He's a Rafael type for comparison. High intensity at all times. Good recovery pace to get back and cover and always committed which produces a lot of great tackles. It also produces like the goal though, where he flies into an aerial challenge he has no business doing when Traore(?) is right there. The right winger is subsequently wide open to run at our backline at pace. His eagerness for everything leads to him being caught wildly out of position needlessly. He needs to gain some composure if he is to make it. His style is very enjoyable but he'll struggle massively in senior football with his temperament at times.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Think Galbraith has grown into the game after a nervy start. Traore is a weird one, it works tactically in this game where he’s playing, but not really sure what his best position is. Gomes is far too good for this level.

Should be 3-4 up really, encouraging debut for Elanga. Could have had a couple.

I feel like O’connor made the wrong decision trying to cover the run through the middle for the goal. There was a man coming back and left his man far too much space in the box.

mewnew11

My thoughts on the first half:

1) We are surely coached to play from the back . Even with West Ham pressing high the goalie was still passing instead of kicking forward.
2) The full backs have license to go. Both running forward then the wingers and beautiful in bringing the ball out
3) Again a coaching thing but the passing is quick and importantly forward
4) lots of pace in the team. No slow Mata like players on this team
5) Gomes. He is just miles ahead of lingard and looks way above this level. Kids gonna be a superstar.

edcunited1878

It's the same premise as Germany, Spain and Italy youth players who could be in the senior national team setup, but they are sent to the U-23 or U-20 tournaments to gain experience and to play with more enjoyment, less pressure and scrutiny than the highest levels. They need to learn how to walk and jog before they can go out on a full sprint and never look back.

If/When Gomes hits the ground running at senior level with United, starting with the cup games and Europa. I would believe and trust Nicky Butt, Neil Wood, Quinton Fortune, Ole, Carrick, McKenna when it comes to handling Angel Gomes.

Stadjer

Well, if the scores were level in a PL match, he would need to get his team a winner with a goal or assist. So there's that, I guess, as a challenge for the rest of the match? Because the first teamers get slaughtered on here for not doing so.
The first teamer who plays at Gomes his position gets slaughtered for not scoring or assisting at all . A winner would be great but just scoring the third goal in a 3-0 victory would already be good for the current starting first teamer.

At first all i expect from Gomes in the first team is some positive passing and a decent dribble once in a while.

Really wish he didnt play this game and would get playtime tomorrow.

Cregagh 68

Some very entertaining football in the first half. No look back heel from Dylan Levitt showing his confidence at the moment. Also some great moments of skill from Angel Gomes before he opened the scoring with a great finish. Brandon Williams although not captain tonight, leading by example. Been excellent going forward and largely defending very well. United generally on top, a shame conceding just before the break. Looking for Anthony Elanga to continue his excellent start to the season after the break.

Alemar

I would believe and trust Nicky Butt, Neil Wood, Quinton Fortune, Ole, Carrick, McKenna when it comes to handling Angel Gomes.
I would rather believe my own eyes. He is already twice the player Mata is (Mata of now), and thrice the player Lingard ever was.

edcunited1878

My thoughts on the first half:

1) We are surely coached to play from the back . Even with West Ham pressing high the goalie was still passing instead of kicking forward.
2) The full backs have license to go. Both running forward then the wingers and beautiful in bringing the ball out
3) Again a coaching thing but the passing is quick and importantly forward
4) lots of pace in the team. No slow Mata like players on this team
5) Gomes. He is just miles ahead of lingard and looks way above this level. Kids gonna be a superstar.
I mean Gomes being just miles ahead of Lingard is pure hyperbole. Yes, Gomes looks to have much more natural talent than Lingard, but last time I checked Lingard just received another England call up this past week?

I am excited just as everyone else is about Gomes and both have/will have their use for United's first team. But to just completely disregard Lingard and dump him is extremely unfair and is normal now because he's the de facto whipping boy.

edcunited1878

I would rather believe my own eyes. He is already twice the player Mata is (Mata of now), and thrice the player Lingard ever was.
Everybody knows Gomes has talent oozing from him, but there's a plan in place. It's not as if he's sulking and moaning about going straight into the first team and knocking people out. His time will come and he'll take it. Until then, chill out.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Gomes is going to leave on a free next summer isn't he? :(

This fecking club is finished until the Glazers cnuts are gone.

pascell

Chill man, I want Gomes starting as much as you but his time will come.

We have Rochdale in the League Cup and a favourable EL Group, he will get his chance when those came around like Ole said. I know we don't want to be seeing Mata and Lingard but they are what we'll get for now, when Gomes gets his chance then it's up to him to take it.

lysglimt

Scout
Awful first 10 minutes of the 2nd half from us - it's like we completely forgot how to play. Several mistakes defensively - and we are lucky not to be behind after completely dominating the first half.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If he goes it'll be because the management aren' fielding him, not the Glazers
True but I think they are still partly to blame because we are shit largely because of them and Woodward.

Ole needs to go if he keeps playing Lingard. I'm already getting sick of him. 3 wins in 15 is not acceptable. Bayern, Madrid or Juve wouldnt accept it. Why should we?

lsd

The Oracle

Theres no way on earth the Glaziers would be to blame for Gomes going

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Liking the way Brandon Williams is playing. Very cool on the ball.

mewnew11

I mean Gomes being just miles ahead of Lingard is pure hyperbole. Yes, Gomes looks to have much more natural talent than Lingard, but last time I checked Lingard just received another England call up this past week?

I am excited just as everyone else is about Gomes and both have/will have their use for United's first team. But to just completely disregard Lingard and dump him is extremely unfair and is normal now because he's the de facto whipping boy.
Whipping boy? Have you seen lingard play? He gets an england call up ok , so what?
I think he is getting a call up because he plays for united. Incase he is sold to any other team out of the top 6 it's curtains for lingard.

No assists or goals in 2019 and still fans keep giving us sacred knowledge about how lingard is everything that no normal person can see

lysglimt

Scout
West Ham score in the 82mnd minute from Scully. Awful defending again.