U23s Squad Season 2018-2019

RedPamie

Any news on Olosunde?
Is he getting a loan? Will he make it at United, even as a squad player?

kundalini

Any news on Olosunde?
Is he getting a loan? Will he make it at United, even as a squad player?
https://theathletic.com/417556/2018...make-red-bulls-return-from-manchester-united/

The links relating to a return to New York Red Bulls have been going on for several months now. The most recent were at the beginning of July. It is somewhat surprising that it hasn't happened so far. I haven't read anything linking him to teams in England.

As for his chances of making it at United:

- in approx the last 40 years, about 40 United youth players have gone on to make at least 10 starts in any competition for the first team (a lot of youth players make their United debut but fail to reach 10 starts)
- in the same time frame, about 20 United youth players have gone on to make at least 50 PL (or League) starts for United
- at the same age as Olosunde is now (20 years, 4 months), the late developers such as McTominay (who has reached the first benchmark but may not reach the 2nd) was one month away from his PL debut, Lingard had played Championship football and was a few months away from being a regular at that level. To have even a 5% - 10% chance of making it at United, Olosunde would need to be a regular starter on loan in the Championship this season, assuming he wasn't involved in our first team set up.
- Olosunde may get to be a Premier League standard player but if it is to happen, it will be in his mid to late 20s. He needs several years of development, which realistically means leaving United and finding clubs willing to give him game time.
- United just paid close to £20m for a 19 year old right-back who has played a few games for Porto. That tells you a lot about what United think about the various United youth right-backs of a similar age.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Don't get why Dearnley's still in the squad...

Hopefully the lads pick up the level as they get fitter through preseason.

RedPamie

https://theathletic.com/417556/2018...make-red-bulls-return-from-manchester-united/

The links relating to a return to New York Red Bulls have been going on for several months now. The most recent were at the beginning of July. It is somewhat surprising that it hasn't happened so far. I haven't read anything linking him to teams in England.

As for his chances of making it at United:

- in approx the last 40 years, about 40 United youth players have gone on to make at least 10 starts in any competition for the first team (a lot of youth players make their United debut but fail to reach 10 starts)
- in the same time frame, about 20 United youth players have gone on to make at least 50 PL (or League) starts for United
- at the same age as Olosunde is now (20 years, 4 months), the late developers such as McTominay (who has reached the first benchmark but may not reach the 2nd) was one month away from his PL debut, Lingard had played Championship football and was a few months away from being a regular at that level. To have even a 5% - 10% chance of making it at United, Olosunde would need to be a regular starter on loan in the Championship this season, assuming he wasn't involved in our first team set up.
- Olosunde may get to be a Premier League standard player but if it is to happen, it will be in his mid to late 20s. He needs several years of development, which realistically means leaving United and finding clubs willing to give him game time.
- United just paid close to £20m for a 19 year old right-back who has played a few games for Porto. That tells you a lot about what United think about the various United youth right-backs of a similar age.
Thanks! Wanted to know if an American will play for us again someday!

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Olosunde sucks. Will Vint is also American. Hopefully he is a lot better than the last two from the US, Olosunde and Doughty.

There are some really good young lads in the MLS too so one might eventually play for United.

khoazany

Olosunde sucks. Will Vint is also American. Hopefully he is a lot better than the last two from the US, Olosunde and Doughty.

There are some really good young lads in the MLS too so one might eventually play for United.
Vint is a good player. And he's been in England for a few years already.

48 hours

Not really looking forward to this season with Ricky still being incharge. Some of his selections and tactics were questionable to say the least.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Thanks! Wanted to know if an American will play for us again someday!
The Dortmund kid is more likely to become a United regular than Olosunde I reckon.

Wonder if he will play for Nigeria in the future though. Think we could see Kehinde and Olosunde both playing for the Nigeria team in the future.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The Dortmund kid is more likely to become a United regular than Olosunde I reckon.

Wonder if he will play for Nigeria in the future though. Think we could see Kehinde and Olosunde both playing for the Nigeria team in the future.
Olosunde has already represented USA at full international level...not sure he can just switch.

NickyT

Hmm... I guess Barcelona didn't want him after all.
They actually did, truth is, the owner of Feirense is Nigerian, so I would imagine he's been guaranteed some playing time in the Portuguese premier league as opposed to the Spanish 3rd tier or another season coming off the bench at 23 level playing under Sbragia. A wise decision if you ask me, I dunno what you've got against Kehinde but it's actually quite funny lol

Reactions: KM

limerickcitykid

They actually did, truth is, the owner of Feirense is Nigerian, so I would imagine he's been guaranteed some playing time in the Portuguese premier league as opposed to the Spanish 3rd tier or another season coming off the bench at 23 level playing under Sbragia. A wise decision if you ask me, I dunno what you've got against Kehinde but it's actually quite funny lol
I have nothing against Kehinde, I like him. What is funny is thinking Barcelona want him though. It's more deluded than thinking Kehinde was ever the u23s best player.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
What a weird thread to dip your Tosin.

dr.twinny

Does the transfer deadline apply to all the clubs in the English pyramid or is it just for the Premiership? I'm surprised the likes of Wilson, Borthwick Jackson and a few others haven't been sent on loan yet.

limerickcitykid

Does the transfer deadline apply to all the clubs in the English pyramid or is it just for the Premiership? I'm surprised the likes of Wilson, Borthwick Jackson and a few others haven't been sent on loan yet.
CBJ went to Scunthorpe

The EFL transfer deadline is the same but the loan window stays open until the 31st.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

kundalini

O'Hara gone on loan to Macclesfield for the season. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45202595

Lots of pics on Getty Images of U23/U18 training, including Callum Gribbin, who had been missing since the first (or perhaps 2nd) pre-season match, and Demi Mitchell, who evidently isn't in Mourinho's plans for this season; surprising he isn't on loan already. Players that don't feature in the pics include Olosunde, Dunne, Whelan, Dearnley, Williams and Poole.

Last edited:

M23

He's done well considering he'd never played at fullback until two seasons ago. Rarely has a bad game. Looking forward to seeing how he develops in the 23s this season.

Does he get recognised ?
Nice one! Yeah he played for England a few times didnt he?

Im not too sure mate probably not at the minute. He was with us all in Shepherds Market before the 2017 League Cup final too, hes a good lad. Hopefully he will keep performing well then!

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Nice one! Yeah he played for England a few times didnt he?

Im not too sure mate probably not at the minute. He was with us all in Shepherds Market before the 2017 League Cup final too, hes a good lad. Hopefully he will keep performing well then!
Don't follow the England youth teams that closely but think he played for the u17 team.

Hope he was only drinking Shandy in Shepherds Market :D