U23s : United vs Leicester

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Looking forward to this. Got MUTV subscription for a year. Hopefully their coverage of academy and reserve team is better than last season

swissgenius

Gonna be a tough game but I'm excited to see the youngsters again.
the Leicester squad is pretty strong, they just beat Fulham in the EFL Trophy.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Gonna be a tough game but I'm excited to see the youngsters again.
the Leicester squad is pretty strong, they just beat Fulham in the EFL Trophy.
Hull City not Fulham.

They’ve got Hirst who was linked to us a couple seasons back. They seem to have pulled a bit of a Zeki Fryers with him to avoid paying compensation.

Seem likes they’ve got a bit of an older squad than the average as well. Should be a physical test.

Last edited:

Adamsk7

They’d be done any quarantined required.

They also will all be with the u18s not 23s.
Ah thanks. Hoping they are good enough to get some U23 appearances this term in a similar way that Hannibal moves back and forth (or did in his first season).

lysglimt

Scout
Hull City not Fulham.

They’ve got Hirst who was linked to us a couple seasons back. They seem to have pulled a bit of a Zeki Fryers with him to avoid paying compensation.
Correct

And it it's impossible to read anything into these results, because there is no way of knowing how strong the teams are. Look at the results below

West Ham beat Southend by 3-1
WBA beat Swindon 3-2
Leeds lost 7-0 to Accrington
Villa lost 8-1 to Sunderland
Chelsea lost 1-2 to Oxford
Arsenal beat Ipswich 2-1

Chelsea and Leeds traditionally are really strong at youth football - and both lost. Sunderland last season had the worst U18 side ever in the Premier League where they lost 16 straight matches with a goal difference of -56.
They still had an b-side that hammered Villa.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Beat me to it, @RedMachine03 !

Galbraith has been all over lately. He played the full 90 in both of N.Ireland's U21 games, then made the bench for the senior team, then played a half for our first team against Villa, and is now back starting for the U23s.

lenny_1248

Shola Shoretire, and not Hannibal, is the real next starboy from academy.
Hannibal is like a high-profile signing)

mav_9me

Subscribed to mutv app on android phone and to my surprise able to use same details on app on roku TV unlike last year. That's how it should be.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Does anyone know why Mengi isn’t playing?
There's a good chance with Lindelof needing a breather according to his International coach, Bailly not yet up to speed, and Phil Jones, well least said, that Mengi might partner Maguire against Palace, it's either him or Timbo, and I think he(Timbo) will be on the bench as cover for the two fullback positions.

That or Mengi has got a slight niggle and not being risked.

MrBrightside1989

There's a good chance with Lindelof needing a breather according to his International coach, Bailly not yet up to speed, and Phil Jones, well least said, that Mengi might partner Maguire against Palace, it's either him or Timbo, and I think he(Timbo) will be on the bench as cover for the two fullback positions.

Get him in the first team!

Joseunited

If you're good enough you're old enough. Let's play him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Elanga and Mejbri have barely seen the ball. Mejbri in particular has been closed down quite frequently. The United defenders need to talk more and inform Mejbri if a player's closing him down.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

A tweet by United handle earlier, which was basically advert for training gear had Lindelof pic. Assuming it is from today, he should be in line to start. Even if Bailly is with squad, still with Tuanzebe still not fit and Jones-Rojo-Smalling not training with team, we need 4 CBs as part of squad and hence Mengi must be with senior team. More likely he is 3rd option right now above Bailly given he played the friendly. Where is Bailly btw?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Ercolani looks like a centre back playing at right back. Svidersky doesn't look too much better at left back. That's making things a bit more difficult for the midfielders in building up their attacks.

It also doesn't help that Leicester are playing aggressively. Our players look flustered as a result.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How many times are they going to allow shocking challenges of that nature in the u23s?
Players at this level should receive far more protection

Mark Pawelek

Ercolani looks like a centre back playing at right back. Svidersky doesn't look too much better at left back. That's making things a bit more difficult for the midfielders in building up their attacks.

It also doesn't help that Leicester are playing aggressively. Our players look flustered as a result.
United actually have 4 youth LBs. One is 18, two are 17, and one is 16. Doesn't Svidersky normally play DCM?

lysglimt

Scout
Bernard by far our best player - best I have ever seen him. Our 3 in midfield have all been really sloppy defensively

Yagami

Good post resistant
Unfortunately, I missed the first 20 mins, but, from the 25 I did catch, Bernard and Fish were the standouts for me. Could anyone tell me how we were in the first 20?

That Leicester forward really should've been off, too. Incredibly dangerous.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
United actually have 4 youth LBs. One is 18, two are 17, and one is 16. Doesn't Svidersky normally play DCM?
Svidersky is a midfielder, yeah.

When the U21s played against Salford City, Mengi was playing at left back. I wonder why Wood and Butt aren't looking at our other full backs for that left back role.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Terrible so far.

Not good enough from Garner and Galbraith. Two lads meant to be knocking on the door of the first team and they’ve been dominated and controlled. Neither have offered anything really. That just isn’t good enough. They should be controlling matches at this level yet they’ve failed to create an inch of space for themselves.

Hannibal has been sloppy and flat footed, move to the ball for Christ sakes. About 90% of his touches have been one touch passes back where they came from. Has also offered nothing apart from the one break with a terrible shot. It’s a good experience for him though and should learn from it. Garner and Galbraith don’t have the same excuse.

Elanga has looked good the couple time’s the ball has got out there but we haven’t fed him near enough.

Stanley looks out of his depth.

Ercolani clearly out of position and Svidersky mainly none existent.

Fish and Bernard decently defensively but maybe need to move the ball faster to help the midfield.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Unfortunately, I missed the first 20 mins, but, from the 25 I did catch, Bernard and Fish were the standouts for me. Could anyone tell me how we were in the first 20?

That Leicester forward really should've been off, too. Incredibly dangerous.
They've performed like that throughout the match. They haven't gotten much defensive support from the midfield, and the full backs have been beaten way too easily. To see them hold their own in such a situation is a great sign of their ability and composure.

Garner, Galbraith, and Mejbri have struggled to defend against Leicester's midfield. I'm quite surprised by Garner, especially, given that he did start off as a centre back. None of the midfielders have done a good job in plugging the spaces and winning the ball. That's understandable for Galbraith and Mejbri given that the Leicester players are physically ahead of them, but Garner should do better given that he's grown and played a bit of senior football already.

lenny_1248

Stanley lacks skills.
Poor game from Hannibal so far.
Fish was great. And Svidersly looked quite comfortable.