U23s vs Chelsea

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s an U23 tournament so those guys aren’t eligible
My bad — totally misread! I thought we were talking about the EFL Cup, which we don’t actually have midweek anyway :nervous: it’s only the weak teams that are in the second round this coming week (like Arsenal)

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Fernandez was easily the best player out there. Even the Chelsea fans there were raving about him and asking what his name was. The whole match was played on his side of the pitch and they only outpaced him like 3 times out of 20+. He was good defensively and attacking and most of all superb playing out from the back under severe pressure.

The rest of the side was below average.

jb8521

Surely not suspended for two games from two yellows in the last game of last season. I don't think he will play much at all with the U23.

He is quick, as in quick to get past one or two players who stand still. But he's not fast. He will get beaten on pace by a fast winger.
2nd red card of the season so got a 3 match ban

Bertie Wooster

Enjoyable game, and I thought we deserved at least a point - probably more if only our final ball / finishing had been better.

With all the talented youngsters out on loans - and a few missing (Mejbri, Elanga, Hugill) - then it wasn't a strong U23 side in comparison to some we've fielded in recent years so I was expecting a defeat but they put in a solid performance.

Fernandez was probably the most impressive, although I agree with most of the comments about him - strong going forward again, a lot of improvement needed defensively.

Marwood

I genuinely don’t think he looks slow. He was getting past players in the attacking third with ease.

I think he could positionally improve somewhat as I think that’s more important that flat out pace anyway. Looks really silky in possession which is very encouraging
He's got a lovely knack of stepping inside, shifting his weight to go past a couple.

But running towards his own goal? He's about as slow as I've seen for a fullback at U23 level.

AKDevil

Every time I watch Fernandez he looks different class. Absolute rolls royce of a player. Although he does seem to get rinsed by quick wingers a fair bit. Could he maybe have a crack at different positions?
Second half Chelsea right back especially killed him a few times. Weird maybe as the goal was good but technically he looks a bit off, his passing and touch I mean. His ability to drive with the ball is good though of course.

big rons sovereign

Where do they dig the refs up?
Serious clown show tonight, basically allowed the chav thugs to kick lumps out of United.
Also let them waste a good ten minutes of the game.
Reckon he only sent that lad off since there was no way he'd get away with not doing, but then spent the rest of the game handing Chelsea bizarre decisions.
I was amazed he didn't disallow the equaliser for kicking the ball too hard.

Remember the geese

Where do they dig the refs up?
Serious clown show tonight, basically allowed the chav thugs to kick lumps out of United.
Also let them waste a good ten minutes of the game.
Reckon he only sent that lad off since there was no way he'd get away with not doing, but then spent the rest of the game handing Chelsea bizarre decisions.
I was amazed he didn't disallow the equaliser for kicking the ball too hard.
It's dreadful. The bit at the end of the game too, where there's a Chelsea player lying on the ground for a couple of minutes struggling with cramp after he took a hack at a Mejia. Instead of adding the time on, he blew the full time whistle more or less immediately after the United free kick had been taken.

big rons sovereign

It's dreadful. The bit at the end of the game too, where there's a Chelsea player lying on the ground for a couple of minutes struggling with cramp after he took a hack at a Mejia. Instead of adding the time on, he blew the full time whistle more or less immediately after the United free kick had been taken.
Just after giving Chelsea a free kick for their player running into his teammate. Sunday league reffing.

lysglimt

Scout
He was good no? He was everywhere, involved in everything good we did. His ball got the Chelsea player Brooking sent off. Just missing the final final ball.

Hopefully he goes and scores now too!

Draw is a fair result
He failed every single set-piece for one. He lost the ball on several occations. I love Shoretire and I think he will be a very good player, but he really wasn't good yesterday

lysglimt

Scout
Fernandez was easily the best player out there. Even the Chelsea fans there were raving about him and asking what his name was. The whole match was played on his side of the pitch and they only outpaced him like 3 times out of 20+. He was good defensively and attacking and most of all superb playing out from the back under severe pressure.

The rest of the side was below average.
Fernandez going forward could easily be the best leftback in the league - but he needs to learn to defend better one on one before he is ready for the first-team. I mean Rankine was a quick player but it was his stance that made it so easy for the Chelsea-player to skip past him a few times.
And he has this thing where he gives the ball away a few times in every game. That is down to experience so that is not something I am to worried about. He did it again yesterday early in the game - and almost gave a goal away.

But yeah - he will be one hell of a player

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Fernandez going forward could easily be the best leftback in the league - but he needs to learn to defend better one on one before he is ready for the first-team. I mean Rankine was a quick player but it was his stance that made it so easy for the Chelsea-player to skip past him a few times.
And he has this thing where he gives the ball away a few times in every game. That is down to experience so that is not something I am to worried about. He did it again yesterday early in the game - and almost gave a goal away.

But yeah - he will be one hell of a player
I think it was down to his eagerness to win the ball and go on attack. He definitely seems more at home while attacking.

But as you said he will learn and become better at this. He will be some player if he keeps his head down. We have some exciting Spaniards in our academy team

Thiagoal

I’m not sure how anyone thinks Fernandez is slow looking at last nights game? Yes he has defensive skills to work on but his pace is more than adequate for a full back

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not sure how anyone thinks Fernandez is slow looking at last nights game? Yes he has defensive skills to work on but his pace is more than adequate for a full back
Fullbacks especially attacking wise talented and used attack oriented need lot more pace or defense need to adapt to cover the space left by them.

E-mal

Lad needs converting to a holding midfielder, has all the tools to play there.
He will be in the first team by next season, that is the most assured player I have seen in the academy after Pogba. He is technically astute and has the grit to make it in EPL.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't know if anyone else sees the resemblance, but Fernandez reminds me of Felipe Luis. The control under pressure, the way he carries the ball and dribbles, the way it feels like you've got an extra body in midfield when he plays.