UAP - Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No, it's an example of a UFO displaying unconventional behaviour therefore an interesting case, I haven't once said it was aliens.
Bet you want it to be aliens though? You wouldn't be interested if you thought it was just a camera lens artefact or an optical illusion.

luke511

Bet you want it to be aliens though? You wouldn't be interested if you thought it was just a camera lens artefact or an optical illusion.
You keep calling it an optical illusion without explaining yourself, how is it?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You keep calling it an optical illusion without explaining yourself, how is it?
There are all sorts but the parallax effect you mentioned earlier is one that is common but there are lots more. And artefacts on film are even more common due to lens distortion or shutter shape or a lack of focus or dozens of other things. The most likely reason that the resolution of UFO pictures hasn't ever improved despite the huge expansion in camera technology (also now carried all the time by billions of people) is that there isn't a spaceship there in the first place. I still bet you really want it to be aliens. Once you want something so much you tend to see what you hope/expect and Occam's Razor is ignored.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Optical illusion of some sort would be my guess. Not this specifically but ....

I also find it suspicious that aliens only like a few countries.

What about the theory that the aliens predominately visit those countries who tested nuclear weapons / still has nuclear weapons in their arsenals?

Such a scientific advancement would be potentially very mundane to an advanced civilization, but one that would definitely make a country like the US, Russia, or even South Africa far more interesting to such a civilization than that of one that doesn’t.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What about the theory that the aliens predominately visit those countries who tested nuclear weapons / still has nuclear weapons in their arsenals?

Such a scientific advancement would be potentially very mundane to an advanced civilization, but one that would definitely make a country like the US, Russia, or even South Africa far more interesting to such a civilization than that of one that doesn’t.
You might think if that was the motivation they would be a bit more careful about being spotted in case we nuke them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Unless they consider a nuke about as harmful as we consider a BB gun.
In which case why so much interest and for so long? And what could they see anyway that they couldn't get from satellite imagery and Google maps?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...M&ll=44.66773334586098,-73.56318000000002&z=9
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...YeeZxL8&ll=39.48654541334073,-104.358864&z=10
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...YeeZxL8&ll=39.48654541334073,-104.358864&z=10

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Sophistication of the device? Depth of the science?

This potentially was the first time we ever truly turned alien heads. The radio, television, etc. emissions no doubt announced us to some advanced intelligences, but this advancement in science & power projection would obviously warrant much more inspection at a granular level.

To me it’s kind of like we went from an ant to a fire ant. Still easily defeated, but worth some attention & caution.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Some of the videos are indeed pretty rubbish and have probable mundane explanations. Full report will be more interesting especially the sensor data from Submarines and Sonar buoys to go with the Navy surface and air force evidence.

There might be hard evidence in the form of alloys found that are different to anything we know has been built by our species. We will see.

Doubt they'll be concluding these are Aliens... no evidence of that. Probable conclusion is that these physics breaking craft in the air and oceans do likey exist but who or what they are is unknown.

UpWithRivers

If it is an advanced lifeform then the technology they have is going to be the equivalent of our technology a thousand years ago i.e. clubs and rudimentary tools to our advanced technology we have today, computing, planes, missiles etc.. Probably even more. So what I dont get is how the frig do they manage to get all the way here and then crash. Whoops there goes X1Tn. That crazy fker! Crashed again. And not only crash but have no search and rescue. Or how are they not advanced enough not to be detected. They surely dont need to even be within sight. They could just orbit the Earth miles out and have the technology to see everything. Satellites can see a most of what's happening on Earth even now. Or they could hack into all systems easily and process all the data in minutes, seconds even. Or even hack the military aircraft and ships etc that are seemingly detecting them now and just make it so the radars are not picking up anything. So really if there is UAP's then the only conclusion is they are fking with us. Crashing an odd UAP and every now and again flying around for shits and giggles.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Maybe they are the alien equivalent of BP or Exxon and they are coming here to drill our oil.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Cmon... the usa would have nuked them by now
Maybe there's a parallel universe where America drilled all the oil in the world and they created alternate universe travel to drill oil from all the other earth's in exchange for technology upgrades.

luke511

There are all sorts but the parallax effect you mentioned earlier is one that is common but there are lots more. And artefacts on film are even more common due to lens distortion or shutter shape or a lack of focus or dozens of other things. The most likely reason that the resolution of UFO pictures hasn't ever improved despite the huge expansion in camera technology (also now carried all the time by billions of people) is that there isn't a spaceship there in the first place. I still bet you really want it to be aliens. Once you want something so much you tend to see what you hope/expect and Occam's Razor is ignored.
I've explained why it isn't parallax effect and it's clearly not an artefact on the film, the fact that you're trying to claim it's an artefact beggars belief to be honest. Still waiting for a respectable explanation as to what optical illusion you think it is without you deflecting. You realise that mobile camera phones are optimised to take photos at an arms length? How many people have you seen carrying one of these around with them?

There's countless mobile photos and videos of apparent UFOs in the sky but 99% of them are worthless because mobile camera phones do a terrible job at capturing detail when taking photos or videos of things in the sky, especially at night.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
That Ariel school one in Zimbabwe is pretty interesting if only for the fact that since all the children grew up and became adults none of them have changed their story of what they saw

Somewhat related on the topic of undisclosed technology - what's the story with that microwave weapon that causes Havana Syndrome?

Barnslig

Because we would detect them otherwise.

It would take a huge technological effort to totally hide yourself to the point that not a single detectable signal escaped. Anyone looking in at earth would see the equivalent of the New Year fireworks on Sydney Harbor.

So you are not only assuming there are aliens but that they are doing something impossible like travelling faster than the speed of light (but are then still to incompetent to continue to hide themselves once here)? I think we assume things we see in Science Fiction film and books are real or even possible.

There is do much amateur and professional observation and monitoring that it beggars belief that we never ever spot anything.

A bit like looking for God. You can't prove a negative but the utter lack of even one half convincing evidence is highly suggestive. I wish it weren't so as I'd love for us to encounter alien life.
So you assume they want to hide, because we never spot them, then we spot them and you go "nah, hoax because we didn't see them earlier"? Weird logic.

Lynty

I think @Wibble probably hit he nail on the head in an earlier post.

Religion and belief in aliens/UFO's are strangely similar. It takes a degree of blind faith to fully believe given the amount of proof available, and it's extremely hard to convince someone of their existence without sounding ridiculous.

Yet if you do believe, who can't fathom how others cannot see the evidence of their existence - because it's so obvious to you.

luke511

Religion and belief in aliens/UFO's are strangely similar. It takes a degree of blind faith to fully believe given the amount of proof available, and it's extremely hard to convince someone of their existence without sounding ridiculous.

Yet if you do believe, who can't fathom how others cannot see the evidence of their existence - because it's so obvious to you.
It's not blind faith. The US government have come out and said that UFOs exist, they're confident it's not China or Russia, and they've been officially documenting sightings, where they share the same characteristics that they're witnessing at the moment, since the late 40s/early 50s. I'd say coming out and saying it's definitely not extraterrestrial whilst being relatively ignorant on the topic and nothing to back up your reasoning is blind denial, which reminds me of religion as well.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

I don't think it's a question of belief and there are some sightings that definitely have simple mundane explanations.

It's the military sightings I would give more credence to. We have sensors specifically designed to detect violations of our air and sea space, these are systems that are very sophisticated and cost hundreds of millions of dollars. They're telling us something is doing exactly that, repeatedly. Whatever it is, has been tracked by a range of sensors, FLIR, Radar, Sonar and visually both by multiple pilots and on camera both in the air, in the ocean and entering one to the other on multiple sensors.

You cannot conclude from that it's Aliens... But you can say there is something going on we don't understand here.

The report is certainly going to make interesting reading. My guess is there must be satellite and other intel on whatever it is too. Big question for me is if there is any hard evidence, e.g recovered alloys or anything else of that nature.

Lynty

It's not blind faith. The US government have come out and said that UFOs exist, they're confident it's not China or Russia, and they've been officially documenting sightings, where they share the same characteristics that they're witnessing at the moment, since the late 40s/early 50s. I'd say coming out and saying it's definitely not extraterrestrial whilst being relatively ignorant on the topic and nothing to back up your reasoning is blind denial, which reminds me of religion as well.
Have they though?

I see that they've verified the videos were from an authentic source, they've set up UAP Task Force which is what I think should be standard procedure for investigating unidentified sightings around military facilities.

The rest has been conjecture from media outlets that farm clicks.

Briefings from the initial report indicate that there's nothing to report. So I think many are going to be disappointed.

luke511

No they haven't.

Oh dear.
Have they though?

I see that they've verified the videos were from an authentic source, they've set up UAP Task Force which is what I think should be standard procedure for investigating unidentified sightings around military facilities.

The rest has been conjecture from media outlets that farm clicks.

Briefings from the initial report indicate that there's nothing to report. So I think many are going to be disappointed.
https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Re...nse-on-the-release-of-historical-navy-videos/
With this to follow soon - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57355192

nimic

something nice
Scout

luke511

That doesn't say anything about "UFOs exist", unless you're using the original definition of UFO. Clearly they're not talking about aliens, while clearly you are.

And all three of the videos they've released have explanations which are a lot more plausible than "it's aliens".
Why wouldn't I be using the original definition of UFOs? Christ. They've said there's objects/phenomena over military activity that they haven't been able to identify.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Why wouldn't I be using the original definition of UFOs?
Because that would make this statement nonsense:

The US government have come out and said that UFOs exist
Why would you feel the need to bring this up in that case? The US government are the ones who created the term 70 years ago in the first place. Obviously they think UFOs, in the original definiton, exist. The only reason you would make that statement is if you're somehow saying it relates to aliens, which they are not saying.

luke511

Because that would make this statement nonsense:

Why would you feel the need to bring this up in that case? The US government are the ones who created the term 70 years ago in the first place. Obviously they think UFOs, in the original definiton, exist. The only reason you would make that statement is if you're somehow saying it relates to aliens, which they are not saying.
Okay I'll rephrase as it might've come across as a bit confusing to some - The US government have confirmed that there are UFOs with advanced characteristics invading military airspace.

nickm

Clinton yesterday on live TV said there are things flying in US aerospace and they don’t know what they are. NASA have also announced they are joining the investigations. People need to stop debunking every video clip and just accept that either:

1) It’s true and objects beyond current US technologies exist.

2) The US military are lying/exaggerating about it and have convinced former presidents and other agencies.

The other option is the US military are so incompetent they can’t tell a bird from a plane - yet Bob on twitter can. I find this slightly ridiculous. Something is going on and either way it’s a big story in my eyes.
Other options:

1)military pilots/so called reliable witnesses aren’t any better at drawing conclusions about stuff outside their training than anyone else
2) photo evidence is shite by itself. Show me a gizmo or an alloy that cannot be explained - something science can get busy with
3) the evidence isn’t actually that great/gotten any better since the 1940s
4) they are misidentified natural phenomena
5 people have zero idea how freaking unlikely they are to be alien based on any rational argument about cost, capability, motivations etc

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think people have had their views coloured by sci-fi. In practically every space sci-fi they're zipping about the galaxy like it's nothing. Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Farscape, Stargate, Star Trek, The Expanse, whatever. In reality even going to the closest stars is a colossal undertaking. Never mind all the games where you're personally the one doing it.

Another thing about many of those sci-fi films, shows and games is that they show a galaxy full of different species with similar technology and motivations. The Universe is 13.7 billion years old, and complex life has been possible for at least a few billion years. It seems like it would be unlikely for two intelligent civilizations to emerge at roughly the same time (and by the scales of the Universe, a few million years would be practically simultaneous.

The Firestarter

I think people have had their views coloured by sci-fi. In practically every space sci-fi they're zipping about the galaxy like it's nothing. Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Farscape, Stargate, Star Trek, The Expanse, whatever. In reality even going to the closest stars is a colossal undertaking. Never mind all the games where you're personally the one doing it.

Another thing about many of those sci-fi films, shows and games is that they show a galaxy full of different species with similar technology and motivations. The Universe is 13.7 billion years old, and complex life has been possible for at least a few billion years. It seems like it would be unlikely for two intelligent civilizations to emerge at roughly the same time (and by the scales of the Universe, a few million years would be practically simultaneous.
Let's say these are ET drones. If they have to fly from Alfa Centauri, the closest star, which is at ~ 4.4 ly. If they fly at 0.99 c, due to lorentz shortening the elapsed time for the ship will be ~5 days. Hardly a problem if a spacecraft with the already displayed capabilities (accelerarion, as inferred from the Nimitz data) exists.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Let's say these are ET drones. If they have to fly from Alfa Centauri, the closest star, which is at ~ 4.4 ly. If they fly at 0.99 c, due to lorentz shortening the elapsed time for the ship will be ~5 days. Hardly a problem if a spacecraft with the already displayed capabilities (accelerarion, as inferred from the Nimitz data) exists.
Calling them "already displayed capabilities" is a huge stretch. I've already posted a video showing that the "go fast" Nimitz video is probably something moving at about the same speed as a bird, or possibly a balloon at wind speed. There is no real indication out there that these capabilities exist.

Also, I'm not sure where you get 5 days from. From what I'm seeing it would be more like ~230 days. Now that's not a lot, but that's from the closest star, and assuming that it is moving at 0.99c almost instantly. Which means we're already talking sci-fi technology here. It would take massive amounts of energy to accelerate something with mass to 0.99c. And in the end it all comes back to the same question. If any intelligence actually had both the capability to get here and the will to observe us for (at least) seven decades, it's almost unimaginable that they would be this easy to spot. And somehow 95% of them are spotted in otherwise remote areas of the US.

Now the Chilean military did spot one a few years ago, I believe. They concluded that it was impossible to explain, but in a matter of days it was proven beyond any doubt by randos on the internet that it was actually just a plane. So let's not assume just because someone flies a jet for a living that they're in any way qualified to conclude that the most likely case is alien observation drones.

Edit: according to the calculator I used, to make it in 5 days they would have to be moving at something like 99.9995% the speed of light, which is needless to say many orders of magnitude more difficult than "just" 99%.

Fingeredmouse

Calling them "already displayed capabilities" is a huge stretch. I've already posted a video showing that the "go fast" Nimitz video is probably something moving at about the same speed as a bird, or possibly a balloon at wind speed. There is no real indication out there that these capabilities exist.

Also, I'm not sure where you get 5 days from. From what I'm seeing it would be more like ~230 days. Now that's not a lot, but that's from the closest star, and assuming that it is moving at 0.99c almost instantly. Which means we're already talking sci-fi technology here. It would take massive amounts of energy to accelerate something with mass to 0.99c. And in the end it all comes back to the same question. If any intelligence actually had both the capability to get here and the will to observe us for (at least) seven decades, it's almost unimaginable that they would be this easy to spot. And somehow 95% of them are spotted in otherwise remote areas of the US.

Now the Chilean military did spot one a few years ago, I believe. They concluded that it was impossible to explain, but in a matter of days it was proven beyond any doubt by randos on the internet that it was actually just a plane. So let's not assume just because someone flies a jet for a living that they're in any way qualified to conclude that the most likely case is alien observation drones.

Edit: according to the calculator I used, to make it in 5 days they would have to be moving at 99.9995% the speed of light, which is needless to say many orders of magnitude more difficult than "just" 99%.
Not that I'm in anyway disagreeing with your general point but Alpha Centauri is about 4.7 light years away so if near light speed travel were possible (and what an if that is) surely 5 days is a reasonable estimate to traverse the distance at that speed?

Edit: Just saw your edit making this exact point!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Okay I'll rephrase as it might've come across as a bit confusing to some - The US government have confirmed that there are UFOs with advanced characteristics invading military airspace.
Where have they confirmed this?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The US government have surely only said they don't know what all sightings are? And the same signtings having been seen for so long but still remain the same blurry white dots despite massive improvements in technology surely tells you that it isn't aliens. The evidence is laughable so it takes no faith to think there is no credible evidence. It is a scientific view. A view that could change if credible evidence ever emerges. I also think it extremely likely that there is life out there and possibly technologically advanced life. Just not life that we have ever encountered and certainly isn't popping in to leave a few blurry photos for a laugh.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Other options:

1)military pilots/so called reliable witnesses aren’t any better at drawing conclusions about stuff outside their training than anyone else
2) photo evidence is shite by itself. Show me a gizmo or an alloy that cannot be explained - something science can get busy with
3) the evidence isn’t actually that great/gotten any better since the 1940s
4) they are misidentified natural phenomena
5 people have zero idea how freaking unlikely they are to be alien based on any rational argument about cost, capability, motivations etc

Edit: according to the calculator I used, to make it in 5 days they would have to be moving at something like 99.9995% the speed of light, which is needless to say many orders of magnitude more difficult than "just" 99%.
No. The US has said it isn't China or Russia (shhhh - its's aliens). And they plainly have faster than light travel capabilities. It is the only rational possibility.

Last edited: