'Uefa care about money not players' - Thibby Courtois

Paul_Scholes18

I think salary caps would be stupid and certainly would not lead to fewer games.

If the star players are drawing the audience, they deserve a high cut of that. It's a job only a handful of people can do to the adequate level.
What I am saying is that the tv deals should benefit the lower levels as well. They are also part in creating the football that we love.
The FA, Premier league etc should help the lower levels out with the tv deals and not just focus on the top clubs.

I think it is better in English football compared to other leagues though, but still not enough.

ariveded

Modern footballers are just complainers and whiners. They chase money full time, show no club loyalty.

They are not connected with ground reality, live in their own bubble, and lack responsibility for vaccination. On topic itself, these players have a lot of free time daily. Their training sessions have good number of breaks, nor is fixed time.

432JuanMata

Didn’t I read before this season due to the Olympics that Pedri off Barca played over 60 games at 18 which is excessive.
While modern players get paid so much their schedules are so intense and it is money related

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
All those dismissing him because he's rich: he plays in the least injury prone/physically demanding position, so it's not that he's whining about his workload or anything. Seems to me he's genuinely concerned about his colleagues.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Didn’t I read before this season due to the Olympics that Pedri off Barca played over 60 games at 18 which is excessive.
While modern players get paid so much their schedules are so intense and it is money related
This is a typical example of my point, Barcelona sparingly used the likes of Pjanic and Puig. What is the point in having these players if you don't use them?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No, if they reduced salaries it would just go to the owners who would bank it and still make them play more games to make them more money.

I would far rather the money from football went to the people who make the sacrifices, do the graft, take the risks with injury and burnout, and take the abuse from cnuts online than the leeches who control and own the game.

Professional athletes in popular sports make a lot of money because of public interest and it should go primarily to the athletes.
They are not the only players (pun not intended).

Owners have a role to play in responsible and effective administration of their football clubs. And by owners I mean ownership either by fans or firms or single entities. If privately owned, there should be a significant financial incentive geared towards preventing those looking to asset strip clubs or leverage them with debt to make a quick killing.

Local fans should not be viewed as milk cows only. Clubs are nothing without their home base and efforts to squeeze fans through extortionate ticket prices and merch based on "the players need to get paid" is unfair.

UEFA/FAs have a role to play in making sure the sport remains sustainable. What happened at Barcelona should have never happened, and probably wouldn't have if they didn't feel the pressure to keep up with the Joneses across Europe spending wise. Blame the oil clubs all you want but blame can be spread across the board. Plus there's more to football than the elite: you can't tackle inequality in resources without addressing the pull of excessive player compensation at the top end.

So players should be compensated fairly, yes. But how much they get compensated, how much of the cake they get, should be the result of a conversation and negotiation between players, clubs, owners, authorities, sporting organizations and fans, and the result should benefit all parties. Not the players to the detriment of everyone else.

massi83

My question to everyone who is against girlfriend snatcher speaking up, if footballers will not speak about it, who will?
What percentage of professional footballers play too many matches? Probably around 1-5% and these are the most privileged ones. He is not looking out for most footballers. He is looking out for himself.

The only people responsible for him playing against Italy are himself and Martinez.

And there are 4 Nation's league matches in June because World Cup is later than normally, otherwise those would be played in October and November like always.

432JuanMata

This is a typical example of my point, Barcelona sparingly used the likes of Pjanic and Puig. What is the point in having these players if you don't use them?
While my point was these needless competitions in the summer and mid season are the problem I do agree that it also falls on Barca. But unfortunately for Barca they are in such a bad situation they need him even at 18 most weeks

JPRouve

Scout
While my point was these needless competitions in the summer and mid season are the problem I do agree that it also falls on Barca. But unfortunately for Barca they are in such a bad situation they need him even at 18 most weeks
Needless? You don't think that international football should exist?

432JuanMata

Needless? You don't think that international football should exist?
I think Olympics and Nations League can be done away with.
Olympics should have players that aren’t top level (ie Barca players) and Nation League during a season is bad.

Obviously the Euros and WC should be essential even qualifiers during the season but when you mix Olympics and Nations League it’s too much.

Im actually one that is all for internationals. Yes I don’t like the breaks during the season as I want too watch Us play but qualifiers need too be played. The problem is adding Nations League is pushing it and it’s tiring for players

JPRouve

Scout
I think Olympics and Nations League can be done away with.
Olympics should have players that aren’t top level (ie Barca players) and Nation League during a season is bad.

Obviously the Euros and WC should be essential even qualifiers during the season but when you mix Olympics and Nations League it’s too much.

Im actually one that is all for internationals. Yes I don’t like the breaks during the season as I want too watch Us play but qualifiers need too be played. The problem is adding Nations League is pushing it and it’s tiring for players
Nations league games have been around forever, they used to be friendlies, they haven't been added. Olympics mainly concern U23 players and players, you want to take it away from them in order to rest players that are for the most part not eligible for it? And only a few players are too tired for international games, that's the ones playing for clubs that go far in all competitions and those clubs can but don't rotate properly.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's wrong because the few players that are concerned with long and packed seasons play for clubs that have large squads, these players do not have to play the amount of games they do, it's their clubs fault if they do nothing else. As I already said why isn't he asking for Lunin to play a third of the games? I will just use the NHL as an example, there isn't a single goalie that plays the entirety of the regular season, even the ones with terrible backups don't.

The schedule shouldn't be built for the few players/club that have the luxury of having top players warming benches, those clubs should use the players that they have and make better decisions if they care about their players' health, instead of expecting lesser players to sacrifice their chance to represent their countries.
But that’s the clubs making that choice as to who is their best players for the games. If a player went to the coach and said it’s the backup goalkeepers turn the coach would have a fit. Backup goalkeepers aren’t generally the same quality as the number 1.
all the player is doing is raise the concern. It’s up to the clubs and the governing bodies how to address it.
To be honest, I knew this was going to happen once the suggestion for a World Cup every 2 years came out. The players are entitled to a proper rest too

432JuanMata

Nations league games have been around forever, they used to be friendlies, they haven't been added. Olympics mainly concern U23 players and players, you want to take it away from them in order to rest players that are for the most part not eligible for it? And only a few players are too tired for international games, that's the ones playing for clubs that go far in all competitions and those clubs can but don't rotate properly.
Yes but that’s the point due too money they are making Nations League more than just basic friendlies and seem important. Now most countries are trying too win it so they play their top players with 100% commitment.

golden_blunder

Staff
You’re seeing it as the player saying he’s too tired for international football. I’m seeing it as him saying there is too much football and it catches up on you mentally and physically

JPRouve

Scout
But that’s the clubs making that choice as to who is their best players for the games. If a player went to the coach and said it’s the backup goalkeepers turn the coach would have a fit. Backup goalkeepers aren’t generally the same quality as the number 1.
all the player is doing is raise the concern. It’s up to the clubs and the governing bodies how to address it.
To be honest, I knew this was going to happen once the suggestion for a World Cup every 2 years came out. The players are entitled to a proper rest too
In other words, clubs don't care much about players health and stockpile expensive players for the sake of it. And it doesn't matter that backup goalkeepers aren't the same quality, backup NHL goalkeepers aren't the same quality, they still play and provide rest for the starters.

JPRouve

Scout
You’re seeing it as the player saying he’s too tired for international football. I’m seeing it as him saying there is too much football and it catches up on you mentally and physically
No, I'm seeing it as the player should question their clubs and demand better considerations for mental and physical health instead of blaming someone else. That's extremely convenient for clubs.

432JuanMata

That’s what I said too him. He said nations league was always around but used too be friendlies but that shows that Courtois is right as they made the Nations League seem like a big event which then gets top players playing and it’s all too do with money

golden_blunder

Staff
In other words, clubs don't care much about players health and stockpile expensive players for the sake of it. And it doesn't matter that backup goalkeepers aren't the same quality, backup NHL goalkeepers aren't the same quality, they still play and provide rest for the starters.
The start of your paragraph - the cynical me says that is correct. I mean at the top levels anyway. They care about success and by association making money. Doesn’t matter who the players are,’only that some players are better than other players so you always pick your best players
I’d like to think that’s not true as you go down through the leagues

NHL, sorry aside from playing it on mega drive years ago I know nothing about it

golden_blunder

Staff
No, I'm seeing it as the player should question their clubs and demand better considerations for mental and physical health instead of blaming someone else. That's extremely convenient for clubs.
I really don’t see why there is a big issue of a player saying “there’s too much football”. Why does that cause you a problem?
If the player goes to his club they will ship him out as a troublemaker. He’s right to try and start the conversation publicly. However from what I’ve seen in this thread the public aren’t prepared to give any leeway. Get on with it robot till you drop dead rich boy

JPRouve

Scout
I really don’t see why there is a big issue of a player saying “there’s too much football”. Why does that cause you a problem?
If the player goes to his club they will ship him out as a troublemaker. He’s right to try and start the conversation publicly. However from what I’ve seen in this thread the public aren’t prepared to give any leeway. Get on with it robot till you drop dead rich boy
That's my problem instead of targetting the actual culprits, top clubs, who stockpile quality players and let them rot on benches or in the stands instead of using their squad sizes appropriately, he targets international football which is mainly made of players that do not play has much games as top players do and for which international football is the main opportunity to play for something meaningful.

He targets international football because he wants his cake and eat it too, his health isn't important enough to be in trouble with his employer.

golden_blunder

Staff
That's my problem instead of targetting the actual culprits, top clubs, who stockpile quality players and let them rot on benches or in the stands instead of using their squad sizes appropriately, he targets international football which is mainly made of players that do not play has much games as top players do and for which international football is the main opportunity to play for something meaningful.

He targets international football because he wants his cake and eat it too, his health isn't important enough to be in trouble with his employer.
Meh I don’t agree with you. He’s using the time away from club football to talk about it. But listen I’ll leave it there because your mind is set that the player is wrong and I don’t agree. so let’s leave it

Zen86

That’s pretty much life for most people. Except most people aren’t rich.

432JuanMata

Meh I don’t agree with you. He’s using the time away from club football to talk about it. But listen I’ll leave it there because your mind is set that the player is wrong and I don’t agree. so let’s leave it

I don’t get how you can say the player is wrong. As I said before players these days are so lucky with the money they are paid compared to years ago but still they are human and 60+ competitive games in a season is excessive and will tire most

432JuanMata

That’s pretty much life for most people. Except most people aren’t rich.
But say for a normal person living in a first world country your max hours a week is 39 by law and if you agree too do more you get overtime.

Now say your company makes you do 60 a week would you not say anything? Yes these players are making millions doing what they love but still can be overworked

Zen86

But say for a normal person living in a first world country your max hours a week is 39 by law and if you agree too do more you get overtime.

Now say your company makes you do 60 a week would you not say anything? Yes these players are making millions doing what they love but still can be overworked
I have done 60 a week without overtime. Quite regularly in fact. Luckily I don’t quite hit those extremes anymore, but most people are expected to work more than their contracted hours. It’s actually very common.

JPRouve

Scout
I don’t get how you can say the player is wrong. As I said before players these days are so lucky with the money they are paid compared to years ago but still they are human and 60+ competitive games in a season is excessive and will tire most
I told you why he is wrong, it's very obvious and using Real Madrid alone would give you the answer. It's not about money, it's about management and in this case mismanagement from top clubs. Keep in mind that my only focus is the physical and mental health of players, the issue is with clubs who are actually heavily focused on money and don't use their large squads in a way that allows top players to play a dozen fewer games per seasons.

The answer isn't to tailor international schedules to a minority of top players but for the minority of top clubs to start managing their squads properly. Because as I already showed in the case of Pedri, Barcelona didn't care enough to use Pjanic and Puig appropriately and rest Pedri.

432JuanMata

I have done 60 a week without overtime. Quite regularly in fact. Luckily I don’t quite hit those extremes anymore, but most people are expected to work more than their contracted hours. It’s actually very common.
Yes it’s common but what if it’s for 2 years ? Look we can agree that 99% would rather be in Courtois position but his point stands. They train most days and are consistently flying/travelling. It’s gruelling so he has a point.

Zen86

Yes it’s common but what if it’s for 2 years ? Look we can agree that 99% would rather be in Courtois position but his point stands. They train most days and are consistently flying/travelling. It’s gruelling so he has a point.
Yep. Been there. Eventually it took its toll on me and I suffered the consequences of being overworked for a prolonged period of time.

Not to say that I don’t understand where he’s coming from, I do. However, very privileged wealthy person complaining about working too much is never going to be particularly high up on the sympathy list when you’ve got a lot of less fortunate people doing the same.

432JuanMata

Yep. Been there. Eventually it took its toll on me and I suffered the consequences of being overworked for a prolonged period of time.

Not to say that I don’t understand where he’s coming from, I do. However, very privileged wealthy person complaining about working too much is never going to be particularly high up on the sympathy list when you’ve got a lot of less fortunate people doing the same.
No I understand and agree with you. I work 45 hours per week and would sell my left leg too be pro footballer making millions. I wouldn’t complain about 65 matches a year, but I still feel he has a point. In the last 2 years it’s been a Euros, Nations League, Olympics, CL, League, Domestic Cups. It’s gruelling and it’s money based

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think with more strict regulations around squad sizes, clubs who choose to run players down into the ground will pay the price come the business end of the season.

Well that's a silly way of looking at things. Does someone butt into your rants about work to your partner/friend with comments like, "well they have it worse in Bangladesh so pipe down"?

No one should expect to be overworked at any level. Not you, not football players, not sweatshop workers in Bangladesh.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Maybe he can have someone deliver some tissues to his giant golden villa. Boohoo.

alexthelion

In the NHL they sometimes play two nights in a row, sometimes three in four. Plus, there are 82 league games and travel is considerably more than football teams in Europe have to put up with.

Gunnerineverylife

Supports
Arsenal
I told you why he is wrong, it's very obvious and using Real Madrid alone would give you the answer. It's not about money, it's about management and in this case mismanagement from top clubs. Keep in mind that my only focus is the physical and mental health of players, the issue is with clubs who are actually heavily focused on money and don't use their large squads in a way that allows top players to play a dozen fewer games per seasons.

The answer isn't to tailor international schedules to a minority of top players but for the minority of top clubs to start managing their squads properly. Because as I already showed in the case of Pedri, Barcelona didn't care enough to use Pjanic and Puig appropriately and rest Pedri.
Very good post.

Bigbusdutz

So if I have understood this correctly it is ok for players to make as much money from the game as possible but when the authorities do it it’s an issue.

Football will eventually explode because it can’t keep losing the amount of money it does. The players wage demands need to level out as well.

Luke1995

How is today's schedule of games like compared to twenty or thirty years ago ?

I'm pretty sure that it had alot of international games aswell, although, today's schedule seems particularly insane...