UEFA Champions League Quarter-final Draw | Man City v Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

The good news - one of City or Liverpool are definitely going out :)
The bad news - one of City or Liverpool are definitely going through to the semis :(
Who cares? Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich will be waiting for the winner. At least one will go out now. And the other will be kicked out by one of the above. Be thankful there's no chance of City vs Liverpool final. That was starting to become a bit worrying.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Us vs City is a great match for the neutral in my opinion. Maybe not in terms of the names on show or perceived stature, but for pure attacking football, it should be a lot of fun.

I actually like the draw :D Pressure is pretty much all on City, but we know we can beat em.
It would be better for Liverpool to be playing at home second though, you'll need to go for them in the first leg and take some kind of lead to the Etihad

Schneckerl

On the other hand it is strange Barcelona and Madrid are never ever drawn together in the last 16 and the quarters and only once I think in the SF.
Not possible in the last 16. Same country.

mehdimike

Supports
Real Madrid-Roma
It's not a fix, but sometimes makes you wonder, when English clubs dominated Champions League like they did in the mid to late 00's, 3 English clubs regularly in the Champions League semi-finals, UEFA kicked up a fuss, they've not done it with the recent success of the Spanish teams.
Come on man. Just poor Atletico faced Real and Barca 3 times in the quarter-final.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
On the other hand it is strange Barcelona and Madrid are never ever drawn together in the last 16 and the quarters and only once I think in the SF.
Teams from the same country can’t draw each other in the last 16.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So city v. United surely getting played on the Saturday then. We should be beating city but knowing Jose he will play safe and lose making the Sevilla loss even more frustrating. The only way the Sevilla loss would be somewhat forgiven and forgotten is if we don't let city win the title at etihad.
No. They have return leg on Tuesday, so can't play on Sunday.

RedB4ndiT

What a shitty draw. This feels like an FA Cup game to be honest.

Also interesting how Roma and Sevilla are "reserved" for certain teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Number1

Who cares? Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich will be waiting for the winner. At least one will go out now. And the other will be kicked out by one of the above. Be thankful there's no chance of City vs Liverpool final. That was starting to become a bit worrying.
You sound confident, have you seen City play this season? City would start as favorites against any of Barcelona/Madrid/Bayern or Juventus.

If Liverpool manage to get past City, that's a different story, there's always that risk of them bottling it in defense.

Smithy89

Gonna admit, I'd love Liverpool to batter them. Also Roma vs Barca :drool:

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I'm putting money on Liverpool, Real, Bayern, Barca all going through. I think Liverpool will win on away goals or something.

izec

Liverpool v City in the CL quarters and you have not decided yet ! It's a no brainer , dont want Liverpool anywhere near the CL Final, dont want City there either but the lesser of 2 evils is a City win.
clear as day. Liverpool are more likely to bottle it somehow in the semi final or final though, but cant take the risk at that stage.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Worst possible draw for City, think if any team are capable of knocking them out it's Liverpool as they will just go toe to toe with them.
My thoughts, too. This is the tie I most wanted to see so I'm a happy chappy.
Which one will be the surprise result of these ties? I'm going for Liverpool to knock out City.
I don't think it'd be THAT surprising. City are favourites but Liverpool have had their number over recent years.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Lovely draw. Gets rid of one of the diseases in this round and hopefully Real/Barca/Bayern take care of the other in the following rounds.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
You sound confident, have you seen City play this season? City would start as favorites against any of Barcelona/Madrid/Bayern or Juventus.

If Liverpool manage to get past City, that's a different story, there's always that risk of them bottling it in defense.
City have no history at this level in this competition and will start this tie at Anfield behind Liverpool. Real have the quality edge over Juventus but over two legs we may have a few chances to exploit their momentary lapses. Barca and Bayern should progress quite comfortably though.

izec

The only tie where 2 teams are almost equal in that tie are City and Liverpool (City are a better team obviously, but Liverpool can progress in 2 games with their style against City's style).

The rest is pretty much decided. Dont think Juve have a real chance against Real, they are not as good this year i feel and Real are too good at this stage of the CL.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Leipzig Marseille
Arsenal CSKA (Haha Arsene is going to do it, semifinal almost a lock)
Atletico Sporting
Lazio Salzburg

Smores

So Liverpool out this round and then City out in the next one when they come up against the big clubs.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can you imagine the commentary/punditry on this one? Someone should do a counter on how many times they'll say the two best teams in England.

Thisistheone

Can't wait for that Liverpool City tie.

Semi-finals should be:
Bayern
Barca
City
Real

3 of Pep's teams.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Can you imagine the commentary/punditry on this one? Someone should do a counter on how many times they'll say the two best teams in England.
Good idea. Pundits get so much shit. For a change it´s a nice idea to count how often they say something that is indeed correct.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They will draw semi final today or on another day again?

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Both Liverpool and City have derby games in between their games in the Champions League.

What's more, they play Wednesday-Tuesday, so they have six days between both legs (and derbies, vs. Everton and vs. United, at the weekend).

That's nice for us and Everton.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Barcelona vs Roma
Sevilla vs Bayern
Juventus vs Real Madrid
Liverpool vs Manchester City

Predicted winners in bold. Juventus are pretty good in two legged ties under Allegri. They must win the first leg though.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
It may not have happened, but if we had gone through we likely would have got Roma again haha.
Can see Liverpool being right up for that game and possibly turning them over. Probably the worst draw for City tbh.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Those famous European nights at Anfield..."
"But City are creating their own history!"
"Klopp is a funny guy who enhances our lives..."
"But Pep has better clothes!"
"Pogba's a waste of space."

Infra-red

Seriously?! No Utd fan ever wants Liverpool near a CL final. City are plastic no one cares.
I generally agree. As a counterpoint though, City are arguably better-equipped to progress beyond the semi-final, should they get there, than Liverpool, who'd likely struggle vs one of the big boys...

Anyway, not worth worrying about!

Pagh Wraith

What an absolutely terrible draw. The two teams I hate got the easiest opponents and the teams I want to progress (Juve and Real) face each other.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
City will progress with +5 GD over the two legs.

Trizy

Liverpool will knock out City.

Barcelona vs Bayern final.

I honestly believe we would've beaten Bayern.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Well they are the best 4 teams in Europe at the moment.
You wouldn't have said that in September, with Ancelotti coaching Bayern... it's funny how one coach can actually make the difference.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Strangely I think I am hoping for Liverpool to beat City....
I think if City were in the last 4 they would stand a great chance of winning the Cup, but I think (hope) if Liverpool are in the last 4 they will crumble when faced with a Barca or Real...!!

Just great news that one of them will definitely be knocked out in the Quarters..

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
"This is a fantastic advert for Premier League football"

Annoyingly - it most probably will be.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
"Those famous European nights at Anfield..."
"But City are creating their own history!"
"Klopp is a funny guy who enhances our lives..."
"But Pep has better clothes!"
"Pogba's a waste of space."
I'm imagining something along the lines of Gary Lineker going
"Well let's see going into the kick off what the two best teams in England have to offer"
Then someone will say "hang on Gary, Spurs are doing well too"
And he'll say "yeah that's true, and don't forget Chelsea! I love Kante and put him in my all time premier league xi for some reason"
Then someone will lean right into a mic and whisper "Mourinho is a shithead" and the match will start.
Maybe throw in a joke about how it's a good job we're out, because both teams are far superior to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.