UEFA considering cap on fees that clubs pay to agents

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"UEFA is considering a cap on fees to player agents, whom they believe are "disproportionately'' well paid and whose quality of work is dropping.

UEFA's Professional Football Strategy Group, which consists of the main stakeholders in European football, discussed a range of new initiatives at a summit in Nyon, Switzerland, on Tuesday.

The topic of agent fees, back in the spotlight following Alexis Sanchez's move from Arsenal to Manchester United, was high on the agenda while Financial Fair Play, squad size limits, and a "transfer tax" were also examined.

Sanchez's representative Fernando Felicevich received a reported £15 million for his part in the Chile international's transfer to Old Trafford, which was formally announced on Monday.

Paul Pogba's agent Mino Raiola was also said to have been paid £24m for brokering the midfielder's £89m move from Juventus to Manchester United in 2016.

A statement from UEFA read: "The PFSC endorsed a joint position on football agents/intermediaries, which is designed to shape policy change in this regard by potentially adding a cap on fees, introducing more transparency/accountability, and appropriate sanctions in case of infringement of the rules."

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin told The Telegraph on Monday that clubs have told them they have been held "hostage" by agents.

Ceferin said the clubs say agents "come and they say, 'Look, you will pay me 50 percent of the transfer or the player goes somewhere else.' Or, 'You will buy him but you will buy also him and him and him, who you don't want but you will pay the commission and you will take them.'"

Citing the risk of "economic exploitation of young players, fraud, corruption, and money laundering," UEFA said European lawmakers can help address illegal practices.

UEFA said FIFA's attempts in 2015 to reform monitoring of agents and intermediaries "failed to address serious concerns." Clubs and players now get poorer service, the governing body said, while more agents working in the industry have driven demand to recruit even younger players.

Ceferin told the Telegraph that FIFA was "absolutely wrong" to have deregulated agents, adding: "We should have a cap, how much a club can pay [an agent]. If the player is stupid enough to pay by himself then we can't stop that."

---
Link

Would love to see this happen.

cyberman

Theyl'll just add the difference onto the players wages and pass it on that way.

deafepl

I don't get how it works. Like for an example, If the player wants a move to another club and the club can decide whether how much they can pay agent's fee, the player can decide for themselves they want to join or not. How can an agent hold player and club to ransom just for agent fee? I thought an agent should act on a belief of the players, not for themselves? if they don't pay what agent is demanding as it is so high, will move not happening and the player is not getting his wish? I mean, I don't get it, they were hired by the players for reason, not themselves?

fergies coat

The agents work for they player, So the player must pay the agent some sort of salary. Why does the club have to pay the agent aswel? The agent is employed by the player and is nothing to do with the club. I don’t get it.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I don't get how it works. Like for an example, If the player wants a move to another club and the club can decide whether how much they can pay agent's fee, the player can decide for themselves they want to join or not. How can an agent hold player and club to ransom just for agent fee? I thought an agent should act on a belief of the players, not for themselves? if they don't pay what agent is demanding as it is so high, will move not happening and the player is not getting his wish? I mean, I don't get it, they were hired by the players for reason, not themselves?
A magical thing called a contract.

Red_toad

A magical thing called a contract.
Contract is between club and player. Agents fees should come from contract between agent and player. Whole issue has been allowed to grow into a massive pile of shite. Let's see how many players want these so called super agents once they need to foot the bill.
Cannot honestly believe this crap has just been allowed to grow and grow for over the last decade.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Contract is between club and player. Agents fees should come from contract between agent and player. Whole issue has been allowed to grow into a massive pile of shite. Let's see how many players want these so called super agents once they need to foot the bill.
Cannot honestly believe this crap has just been allowed to grow and grow for over the last decade.
Yeah, agreed. Making the players pay it makes sense, would mean the agents have to be competitive (not that anyone would care then other than the players) and a transfer would be slightly less ridiculous.

spwd

Wasn’t some of Raiolas fee in the pogba deal just like when the selling club gets a profit down the line because he went for free.

Other than that, it is fecking ridiculous what they get.

Water Melon

Spot on, this. Let the players pay those fees and we will see instant positive changes.

spwd

Well said, its like wanting to buy a car, for instance, then having to pay the fecking salesman because you negotiated with them to get a good deal :houllier:

And don’t forget The palindromic post count thread :lol:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Am I wrong in thinking that governing bodies only consider taking action on transfers, fees etc when British clubs start showing their financial power?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This would be a good move but clubs will find some other supposedly legal way to butter up agents of players they want either way. The horse has already bolted and the money in football is beyond crazy right now so I don’t see how it would change anything. Agents are some of the most powerful people in football now which is sad enough to be fair.

DdeGoat

They'll find other ways to get the same amounts. UEFA should stop trying to restrict transfer fees, agent fees and other such fees. Instead they should work on increasing the native home grown quota in playing XI's and impose a wage limit at European clubs. It's spiraling wages that will bring clubs down, not transfer fees. Transfer fees can be balanced by selling players. Wages can only be balanced by commercial and other revenue increases. Let's be honest, not many clubs can do that to keep with these exorbitant wages.

Oo0AahCantona

Yeah I’m confused at this point at how the whole agent thing works in football. Like it doesn’t make much sense, and I swear we never used to hear about clubs paying agent fees 15/20 years ago. First time I remember hearing it was us refusing to pay 5m to hazards agent in 2011?

How pretty much every agency system works that I know of, in other sports and the entertainment industry is a player/entertainment star will hire/sign on to an agency to negotiate their deals and/or find they work by tauting them around town. This works because the agent is motivated to get their client the best deal because they get a % of any contracts or jobs they line up for their clients. Like commissions people in recruitment /real estate get. Better deal for client = better deal for them.

So let’s take Sanchez. He wants to move club and informs his agent. His agent comes back and says “city, United, Chelsea, juve etc etc whatever are interested. And gets his preference from other mitigating factors, location, weather, culture etc.

The agent then goes to these clubs and talks terms on Sanchez’s behalf. And gets a variety of salary and sign on offers.

Then it’s up to Sanchez to choose provided the clubs meet terms with each other.

Sanchez chooses United because their wage offer was 400k a week or whatever compared to 300k at city. Sanchez is happy because he got a higher wage. The agent is happy because he’s getting 5% of that contract or whatever number. And the clubs are happy with the transfer fees.

Where the feck did the additional you must now pay the agent 15m ontop of this come from? Like it doesn’t benefit the player in the slightest, and it’s not the agents say in what club the player prefers. Regardless of any side deals he negotiates with the club for “bringing the player”.

Can someone explain this last step? Or have I got this all wrong.

deafepl

Am I wrong in thinking that governing bodies only consider taking action on transfers, fees etc when British clubs start showing their financial power?
No, you are not wrong in this case. They didn't consider when Real Madrid and Barcelona do that. Now, English league have earned more in TV domestic/international rights than all other top 5 league combined and put EPL rights on the action next year with the likes of Amazon, online streaming, and other large companies interested. All of sudden they considered creating new FFP 2.0 and now this.

deafepl

Yeah I’m confused at this point at how the whole agent thing works in football. Like it doesn’t make much sense, and I swear we never used to hear about clubs paying agent fees 15/20 years ago. First time I remember hearing it was us refusing to pay 5m to hazards agent in 2011?

How pretty much every agency system works that I know of, in other sports and the entertainment industry is a player/entertainment star will hire/sign on to an agency to negotiate their deals and/or find they work by tauting them around town. This works because the agent is motivated to get their client the best deal because they get a % of any contracts or jobs they line up for their clients. Like commissions people in recruitment /real estate get. Better deal for client = better deal for them.

So let’s take Sanchez. He wants to move club and informs his agent. His agent comes back and says “city, United, Chelsea, juve etc etc whatever are interested. And gets his preference from other mitigating factors, location, weather, culture etc.

The agent then goes to these clubs and talks terms on Sanchez’s behalf. And gets a variety of salary and sign on offers.

Then it’s up to Sanchez to choose provided the clubs meet terms with each other.

Sanchez chooses United because their wage offer was 400k a week or whatever compared to 300k at city. Sanchez is happy because he got a higher wage. The agent is happy because he’s getting 5% of that contract or whatever number. And the clubs are happy with the transfer fees.

Where the feck did the additional you must now pay the agent 15m ontop of this come from? Like it doesn’t benefit the player in the slightest, and it’s not the agents say in what club the player prefers. Regardless of any side deals he negotiates with the club for “bringing the player”.

Yeah, please someone explain this, because I don't know how it work.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
OohAahCantona said:
Where the feck did the additional you must now pay the agent 15m on top of this come from?
To the outsider it just looks like a bribe, offered so the agent tries his best to steer the client to that particular club.

kps88

But how could they control what the player decides to pay the agent?

Oscie

But how could they control what the player decides to pay the agent?
Exactly completely pointless posturing.

"Pay me £5m and my agent £5m"
- No, this is not allowed!
"Okay, pay me £10m"
- Done

So worthwhile. It's one of those things designed purely for the "about time!" initial response before the moments sink in where people realise what a complete non-started the whole thing is.

Akshay

Staff
Won't this just result in bigger player signing on fees and then the player will pay the agent some portion of that?

What they should change instead is the transparency of agent fees. The players should know how much their agent stands to make out of various proposed deals.

ti vu

Seems people forget the commercial side of players. Agent also has network to manage this part for the player. Clubs have their own sponsors while players may have different sponsors which in some cases is direct co petitor to that of the clubs. Agent on behalf of the play need to work with the club to make thing smoothly for all parties. It may be small detail, but it's worth multi millions. You can't be cheap and make a mess out of it.

Then you have the whole tax evasion scheme. You can say if it's doing right, those involved parties pocket more money...

Oscie

I don't get this bit from the first post:

""UEFA is considering a cap on fees to player agents, whom they believe are "disproportionately'' well paid and whose quality of work is dropping."

I don't get what this means or how this is quantified or even why it's relevant to the issue the article it's in refers to. Agents are there to get the best deal for their clients and their clients are earning more than ever before.

ti vu

I don't get this bit from the first post:

""UEFA is considering a cap on fees to player agents, whom they believe are "disproportionately'' well paid and whose quality of work is dropping."

I don't get what this means or how this is quantified or even why it's relevant to the issue the article it's in refers to. Agents are there to get the best deal for their clients and their clients are earning more than ever before.
If my speculation in my previous post is anything on mark, the whole tax evasion scheme being brought into light for numerous of high profile football figures may be the case here. Corruption is nothing new, but football is getting negative attention in recent years

Last edited:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
All sorts of action taken now that English clubs are starting to show their wealth. It was okay when the handkerchief waving cnuts and the sanctimonious catalans did it.

Mindhunter

There needs to be greater exposure and transparency with agent payments. I don’t have an issue with the amount of money they earn, but with the way things are brushed under the carpet.

Instead of building a door, FIFA needs to set up glass walls to ensure all clubs and agents know the rules of engagement and keep themselves within those rules. That will even the playing field, not a random transaction limit.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
English clubs have been paying agents for a while too.
Only recently that the fees for players, agents and what not have started to become so inflated that the Spanish two can't automatically have their pick anymore.

Neymar to PSG was a big eye-opener for the Primera Division.

And with the ever increasing popularity, money and exposure the PL get versus all other leagues, Primera Division also, it seem dubious that this only has become an issue now.

Last edited:

pacifictheme

It feels that way but agents need regulation. They should be there to protect players, not exploit them and clubs to make ridiculous sums of money.

It should be illegal to sign a contract with an agency and easy to terminate it if you feel they are not acting in your interest. A cap on a fee (if anything) and agents should be paid out of players wages, also with a cap.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Only recently that the fees for players, agents and what not have started to become so inflated that the Spanish two can't automatically have their pick anymore.

Neymar to PSG was a big eye-opener for the Primera Division.

And with the ever increasing popularity, money and exposure the PL get versus all other leagues, Serie A also, it seem dubious that this only has become an issue now.
It's still a problem that needs to be adressed, however targeted (they always do anyway) english clubs might feel.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure how UEFA can stop this, all clubs will do is pay the player big signing on fee which will be shared with agent.

Viral United

There are few possibility.
1) Agent charge us for doing business with him (his client).

2) Agent change 15 to Sanchez but as we are paying his wages its calculated from his wages.
for example, let say we pay 400K to Sanches for week it could be divided in 300K basic + 20K Sign on + 70k Performance + 5k Agent fee + etc..

It is about how you want to show it on account, and how media want to show it on News.
United pay 15M to agent sell more paper then Sanchez give 15M to agent.

pascell

What happens if the agent owns a % of the player rights? Iirc that was how Raiola got such a big chunk of the Pogba money and how Mendes keeps getting paid.

kouroux

Not sure how UEFA can stop this, all clubs will do is pay the player big signing on fee which will be shared with agent.
Exactly, it solves nothing unless they wanna stop signing fees too (which would be taken care of by increasing wages anyway). Nobody can stop the flow of money like that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What happens if the agent owns a % of the player rights? Iirc that was how Raiola got such a big chunk of the Pogba money and how Mendes keeps getting paid.
IIRC that's not legal anymore and that's not how Raiola got a big chunk of the money, he was owed that money from the previous transfer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly, it solves nothing unless they wanna stop signing fees too (which would be taken care of by increasing wages anyway). Nobody can stop the flow of money like that.
Exactly. I don't think there is a way to stop the flow of money. People talk about salary cap but how hard is it to set up offshore accounts for state backed clubs? They can literally just hand them cash or gift them all the luxuries and nothing can be done against that.

kouroux

Exactly. I don't think there is a way to stop the flow of money. People talk about salary cap but how hard is it to set up offshore accounts for state backed clubs? They can literally just hand them cash or gift them all the luxuries and nothing can be done against that.
Only the clubs can do it but there would need to be a global agreement among several leagues.