UEFA extend AWB ban to two games and reduce it back to one

NK86

So you think that all referees interpret an action similarly and that they all give the same sanctions 100% of the time? It feels like I'm living on a different planet.
Practically all fouls in football are subjective. Doesn't mean that all calls made are right. In this case, two very similar tackles have gotten completely different punishments. How is that not something worthy to point out when we discuss incompetence?

lex talionis

We’ll be fine, but watching the De Bruyne get away with the same challenge does make you wonder about how these decisions get made.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Practically all fouls in football are subjective. Doesn't mean that all calls made are right. In this case, two very similar tackles have gotten completely different punishments. How is that not something worthy to point out when we discuss incompetence?
The point was about the conspiracies, not whether the call was correct or not.

Irrational.

UEFA are a dickhead corrupt organisation, what’s new? Embarrassed by City’s lawyers during the FFP scandal, shat themselves at the threat of the Super League, and have now even dropped any action against the clubs for that.

If KdB doesn’t get a retrospective three match ban then it again highlights their sheer incompetence.

DoomSlayer

UEFA are conspiring against Ole, they know he is winning the CL this season and they don't want to allow it.

Without AWB, we have no chance against the other teams in the group, so I guess we can't fault the manager if we finish in last place, it's to be expected.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maguire definitely is. Ole has said he'll be 'a few weeks'.

No idea about Shaw though. I assume he won't play tonight, but hopefully not a lengthy spell out for him!
Sounds very ugly.
Dalot Lindelof and who replacing Shaw? His deputy whose impact has been so small that I've forgotten his name is out too isn't he?

CM

He actually got the ball at one point so no it wasn't.
It was far more reckless and could've caused a serious injury. Wan-Bissaka caught the player he fouled on the ankle, De Bruyne's was about halfway up Gueye's leg.

Flytan

It was far more reckless and could've caused a serious injury. Wan-Bissaka caught the player he fouled on the ankle, De Bruyne's was about halfway up Gueye's leg.
I may be dumb but surely stepping on a leg would be less likely to do damage than someone's ankle with all the bones and tendons there

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It’s really stupid. A red card is a sending off and a game ban.

I absolutely do think UEFA should have the right to add additional games to the ban, but surely this should only be for the really egregious situations? AWB went for the ball, not malicious. He missed it, it was a bit high, and so he got a red. Deserved probably. But its what happens in football. I don’t get why they would ban for something like this. I think these bans should be for something malicious or unquestionably reckless. So taking AWBs tackle for example, if, say, he made no attempt for the ball, or was so significantly far away that he never really had a chance at it, or he used excessive force over and above what he had to / unusually so.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I may be dumb but surely stepping on a leg would be less likely to do damage than someone's ankle with all the bones and tendons there
It all depends on how you get someone and of course there is lots of factors. But if someone stamps on your ankle on your plant leg, yes the joints and bones there are weaker but that part of the body has flexibility by design. If you hit someone mid leg on their plant leg, you could do serious damage by putting pressure on an area of the body where the body is not meant to bend or has any flex in it whatsoever to do so.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yeah cos Dalot's brilliant isn't he.
He's getting better. He's got a lot more to offer in attack. He's not as useless as Telles.

DoomSlayer

Isn't a straight red a 3 game ban in the league? Or was that for a 2nd red card during the season?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
He actually got the ball at one point so no it wasn't.
It was established ages ago that getting the ball is not relevant if the player is deemed to not have been in control of their tackle and/or used excessive force. De Bruyne guilty on both counts. Getting the ball is irrelevant now according to the rules where either of the other two things apply

FatTails

More than half the teams in the CL and 99% of the teams of the world would be happy having Dalot as their right back.

Complaining is fun, but it’s not the end of the world, and no other team in the group has the squad depth we have.

Art

Art the artist
If Gueye makes that tackle on KDB I'm certain the ref sends him off.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
...unbelievable...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I feel that Uefa gave this to him because of the type of defender he is even though he is probably the cleanest slide tackler I've ever seen. (Maybe apart from Italian 90's)

It feels they almost did it to try and make a statement by using Wan Bissaka as the centre piece and telling people - well don't wan bissaka.

Bullsh*t cos he never gets it wrong - but when he did; they increased it to stick to people.

NK86

The point was about the conspiracies, not whether the call was correct or not.
Well conspiracy or not, it was shite officiating. The conspiracy angle makes sense from UEFA perspective, not when the refs are officiating.

JPRouve

Scout
Well conspiracy or not, it was shite officiating. The conspiracy angle makes sense from UEFA perspective, not when the refs are officiating.
There is no point where the conspiracy angle makes sense, it's dumb as hell. One or both of referees didn't judge the situation properly and it's all there is to say, it's not uncommon.

Dominos

Isn't a straight red for a bad tackle a 3 game ban in the premier league?

Is it really just a 1 game ban in UEFA competitions, with an option for them to extend it if they don't like the weather that day? Seems bizarre.

NK86

There is no point where the conspiracy angle makes sense, it's dumb as hell. One or both of referees didn't judge the situation properly and it's all there is to say, it's not uncommon.
UEFA coming in to increasing the ban to 2 games, 2 weeks after the original offense, makes sense to you?

FlapR

There's no conspiracy it's just incompetence, as is to be expect in football. Everyone knows KDB should've been off, as with AWB - but the referee has already given a yellow card so we can't do anything blah blah blah.

JPRouve

Scout
UEFA coming in to increasing the ban to 2 games, 2 weeks after the original offense, makes sense to you?
If the referee put in his report that he judged it as a violent act, then yes. It wouldn't be the first time for a similar type of action and it won't be the last. I don't necessarily agree with it but it's not actually strange.

NK86

If the referee put in his report that he judged it as a violent act, then yes. It wouldn't be the first time for a similar type of action and it won't be the last. I don't necessarily agree with it but it's not actually strange.
Does it usually take UEFA this long to act on a ref's report, especially when there seemed to be no discussion with either the club or the player involved? That seems more than strange. I don't think it's conspiracy but surely incompetencd. Moreover I won't be really surprised if UEFA are harsh with the clubs who wanted to break away. They aren't really a bunch of saints.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Don't they review all the straight red cards after to decide the length of the ban? In sure it's pretty standard though not sure why it would take 2 weeks

I'm more confused with what rough play means. It sounds more like a fetish than a red card offence

JPRouve

Scout
Does it usually take UEFA this long to act on a ref's report, especially when there seemed to be no discussion with either the club or the player involved? That seems more than strange. I don't think it's conspiracy but surely incompetencd. Moreover I won't be really surprised if UEFA are harsh with the clubs who wanted to break away. They aren't really a bunch of saints.
It wasn't long, the decision is from the 23rd for rough play.

Havak

Pokemon master
Wow. I know I have the 'United bias', but I thought it was a somewhat unfortunate Red Card in the first place. It's one of those 50/50's, a grey area, wherein if the ref gives a Yellow Card, you get on with it. Same if he gives a Red.

Definitely not worthy of a two game ban. Absolute nonsense.

OmarUnited4ever

It wasn't long, the decision is from the 23rd for rough play.
I agree here, I remember last season, Rangers' Kemar Roofe, got handed a 4 match ban, the decision was finalized almost 4 weeks after his red card against Slavia Prague. it's normal for UEFA to review a red card and decide whether to confirm the 1 game ban or extend it.

OmarUnited4ever

Don't they review all the straight red cards after to decide the length of the ban? In sure it's pretty standard though not sure why it would take 2 weeks

I'm more confused with what rough play means. It sounds more like a fetish than a red card offence
:lol: :lol: :lol:

To answer i think its a lesser version of the "dangerously assaulting another player" offence which carries a longer ban and a fine

sugar_kane

Genuinely astonishing that people think Dalot isn’t a significant downgrade on AWB, and I say that as someone who has been critical of AWB the past year.

I’d rather have Darmian than Dalot.

With Maguire and Shaw also out I fear for our defence tonight.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

The fact it’s taken two weeks makes me certain it was a reaction to the complaints about De Bruyne getting a yellow.