UEFA have lifted Sat 3pm TV blackout

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why was it due to end in May? Unless that's the yearly window it's fine? Ie when no games anyway?

Presumably a get the season done thing rather than permanent?

Based Adnan

Is this permanent moving forward or just for this season due to the virus? Would be nice to have 3pm kick offs on tele next season

PoTMS

Why was it due to end in May? Unless that's the yearly window it's fine? Ie when no games anyway?

Presumably a get the season done thing rather than permanent?
I believe he used the 9th May date as that is when the season was originally due to end. I assume it will return back to normal next season if things have improved by then.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
could be a nice tester to give weight to cutting it out all together.

Having 3pms on TV would be huge.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Stupid rule to begin with, from a United fans perspective at least.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The 3pm blackout was a UEFA restriction?
"UEFA’s Article 48 ensures European national football associations have the right to prevent matches from being televised within a certain window, but only the English, Scottish and Montenegrin FA’s currently make use of the option."

manutddjw

I never understood how as a Canadian I had access to most games through basic cable (thorough DAZN I have every game now) yet you guys where the league is actually from, had a limited selection. Glad it’s cleared up for you guys.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I never understood how as a Canadian I had access to most games through basic cable (thorough DAZN I have every game now) yet you guys where the league is actually from, had a limited selection. Glad it’s cleared up for you guys.
People in England can actually go to the games.

Hopefully we don't see attendances drop throughout the leagues as a result of this

Nick7

Similar to NFL blackouts.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Doubt it, nothing beats going to a Saturday afternoon game.
That's always been the school of thought as to why the rule is in place though. Worried about the TV market making people stay home.

Not every casual matchgoer would stick it out if there was footy on the telly, at least, in theory at 3pm.

The Bundesliga having every game available and still having the highest attendances kinda puts a hole in their theory though.

duffer

Scout
The Bundesliga having every game available and still having the highest attendances kinda puts a hole in their theory though.
What are the attendances like in the German 3rd and 4th tiers like (I don't know the answer)?

It's not Premier League attendances that are the issue, it's the lower league teams where a casual fan might sit on his arse to watch Man United from his sofa rather than take the kids out to watch Swindon Town.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We used to show every game as well in Iceland but then NBC complained because they were paying a lot so they made it a N-American only thing.

pascell

So can skysports show 3pm KOs next season in the prem?
I'm guessing it'll be in line with what restrictions are in place by the Government come the start of next season.

It's probably been done as the deadline was probably going to come into place in May for next season, so the FA, PL and EFL have the fall back option of behind closed door games but streamed to season ticket holders etc, also another way of keeping TV companies happy.

Skills

Snitch
That's always been the school of thought as to why the rule is in place though. Worried about the TV market making people stay home.

Not every casual matchgoer would stick it out if there was footy on the telly, at least, in theory at 3pm.

That's mostly because the ticket prices are well regulated. If PL clubs care about getting more people through the gate, they need to do the same. Capping all away tickets at a maximum of £30, was a start but now they need to do more for the home fans. There's more than enough income from TV to let them do that.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
What are the attendances like in the German 3rd and 4th tiers like (I don't know the answer)?

It's not Premier League attendances that are the issue, it's the lower league teams where a casual fan might sit on his arse to watch Man United from his sofa rather than take the kids out to watch Swindon Town.
True enough, not a clue about 2. Bundesliga attendances or Regionalliga ones. Perhaps one of our German members can show us?

The key to this though is below as @Skills says

That's mostly because the ticket prices are well regulated. If PL clubs care about getting more people through the gate, they need to do the same. Capping all away tickets at a maximum of £30, was a start but now they need to do more for the home fans. There's more than enough income from TV to let them do that.
Ticket prices low enough to entice people to go and watch their local team and low enough in the Prem to entice people to go to the game rather than watch it on TV.

Scandalous how everything operates in England.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Should've done it ages ago, shame it took this virus for them to do it.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/2-bundesliga/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/L2
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/3-liga/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/L3/plus/?saison_id=2019

They are comparable to England. Regionalliga is a lot more spread out but there are decent attendances at the top of it too.

It’s never really added up for me. If someone wants to watch a live match then they will. If someone wants to watch on television then they will. In this day and age every match is on a stream to watch at home anyway. If you really wanted to watch a match on tv then you’d just watch a stream. If you’re willing to go watch live football then you will. I skip United matches on tv to go watch Charlton live because I want to watch live football. I don’t even support Charlton. TV blackout or not isn’t changing me wanting to watch live football. Nor will it be changing the mind of any sizeable amount of people.

SpyLuke10

the fact theres a blackout rule in the first place is stupid. moronic rule. whats the point of it?

duffer

Scout
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/2-bundesliga/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/L2
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/3-liga/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/L3/plus/?saison_id=2019

They are comparable to England. Regionalliga is a lot more spread out but there are decent attendances at the top of it too.

It’s never really added up for me. If someone wants to watch a live match then they will. If someone wants to watch on television then they will. In this day and age every match is on a stream to watch at home anyway. If you really wanted to watch a match on tv then you’d just watch a stream. If you’re willing to go watch live football then you will. I skip United matches on tv to go watch Charlton live because I want to watch live football. I don’t even support Charlton. TV blackout or not isn’t changing me wanting to watch live football. Nor will it be changing the mind of any sizeable amount of people.
I certainly hope you're right, for the sake of lower league clubs where ticket sales make a huge difference.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't see why anyone is getting excited, once stadiums are allowed to be full the rule will be ever so quickly back in place. This is clearly being done with the idea of behind closed doors games, which is logical and makes sense that they'd give people more ability to watch the games (and be able to sell the tv rights).

the fact theres a blackout rule in the first place is stupid. moronic rule. whats the point of it?
You know the answer surely?

it’s a good rule. What I’ve seen over the past few weeks is a complete disregard for the lower leagues in English football. Perhaps a lot of this comes from overseas fans who only see the PL. but we need to protect our leagues, they are the lifeblood of football. We can all do without watching more PL football at 3pm on a Saturday.

RUCK4444

I hope it's permanently removed. I refuse to believe this law has any meaningful effect in helping the lower league sides.

At the end of the day assistance for the lower leagues shouldn't come in the form of limiting the broadcasting of the top leagues.

People need to appreciate how much it costs people who legitimately pay to watch this sport, I pay for Sky Sports & BT Sport and it costs an arm and a leg and it's SO Frustrating when so many games are played at 3pm on a Saturday. Why should the customers who are pumping money into the game be limited by what we get to watch!? It's counterproductive.

Support should come in other forms for the lower leagues. Even if it means spreading the TV revenue further and further down the leagues and pumping more of it into grass roots football, I think that would keep everybody happy.

I hope it's permanently removed. I refuse to believe this law has any meaningful effect in helping the lower league sides.

At the end of the day assistance for the lower leagues shouldn't come in the form of limiting the broadcasting of the top leagues.

People need to appreciate how much it costs people who legitimately pay to watch this sport, I pay for Sky Sports & BT Sport and it costs an arm and a leg and it's SO Frustrating when so many games are played at 3pm on a Saturday. Why should the customers who are pumping money into the game be limited by what we get to watch!? It's counterproductive.

Support should come in other forms for the lower leagues. Even if it means spreading the TV revenue further and further down the leagues and pumping more of it into grass roots football, I think that would keep everybody happy.
selfish PL and stupidly rich footballer aren’t passing a penny more than they are obliged to the lower league. That’s why you need to ensure we protect them. Don’t blame the lower league for your bills, blame the PL for milking as much as cash out of the broadcasters as possible and blowing it all on wages, mostly on substandard players.

Silas

The effect on attendance is overblown, in my opinion. I can't imagine there being many match-going fans that only go because PL games aren't broadcasted, especially in the current world where streaming is so readily available. Anyone that wants to watch a match at home can already do so with very little effort.

RUCK4444

selfish PL and stupidly rich footballer aren’t passing a penny more than they are obliged to the lower league. That’s why you need to ensure we protect them. Don’t blame the lower league for your bills, blame the PL for milking as much as cash out of the broadcasters as possible and blowing it all on wages, mostly on substandard players.
This is why I said change the way the money is passed down, pass down more of it and support the clubs financially along with all grass roots football and lift the 3pm ban at the same time.

That's a better solution that keeping an outdated law in place especially when nobody can truly prove how much benefit it provides. If I was a chairman in a lower league I know what I would prefer, pounds and pence to invest in the club.

It has the potential to pump more money into the British football and provide more televised entertainment to the fans at the same time. Illegal streaming damages the British leagues and the prosperity of its clubs more than anything, televise more, people pay more, clubs benefit more. Simple as long as a fair chunk is passed down to the lower leagues.

You can't blame the cash cow that is the Premier League and the clubs within it for benefiting from being at the top of the tree, that's a false economy. Very few people would want to pay sky subscriptions to watch league 2 football. The PL is the crown jewel, it's what brings the ££££ into the British game. It's about apportioning the income it brings - fairly.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I would believe that there would have to be a commitment to play the majority or all of it behind closed doors before the first ball is kicked - and if that's the case, you can get rid of 3pm kick offs, spread the games out a bit more and potentially give Sky & BT TV rights for every game in the PL & Championship at least. That way you can help limit potential of infection to the wider public & recuperate lost earnings from gate fees too.
If UEFA or the FA would like to consult me on ideas, a representative can slide in my DM’s

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You know the answer surely?

it’s a good rule. What I’ve seen over the past few weeks is a complete disregard for the lower leagues in English football. Perhaps a lot of this comes from overseas fans who only see the PL. but we need to protect our leagues, they are the lifeblood of football. We can all do without watching more PL football at 3pm on a Saturday.
It's an ancient, outdated rule. If I wanna watch a 3pm kickoff instead of my local team, I simply will in these times, just as others have pointed out. Attendances in lower leagues in other countries where no such rule is in place also proves the point. If people want to stay at home to watch a 3pm kickoff, they just will. If they wanna watch their local team, they will. There's so many options available these days that a "TV blackout" doesn't make sense anymore.

Now you'll probably get back at me with the argument that I don't live in the UK and don't understand how different the football tier structure is over there, but it's really not. Abandoning this ancient rule wouldn't make much of a change, simple as.

It's an ancient, outdated rule. If I wanna watch a 3pm kickoff instead of my local team, I simply will in these times, just as others have pointed out. Attendances in lower leagues in other countries where no such rule is in place also proves the point. If people want to stay at home to watch a 3pm kickoff, they just will. If they wanna watch their local team, they will. There's so many options available these days that a "TV blackout" doesn't make sense anymore.

Now you'll probably get back at me with the argument that I don't live in the UK and don't understand how different the football tier structure is over there, but it's really not. Abandoning this ancient rule wouldn't make much of a change, simple as.
if you dont go and actually watch live football then clearly you are not going to understand, where ever you live. Wherever you live, I couldn’t care less. The rule is there to protect our lower league clubs, and it works - most fans of lower league clubs also follow a top tier team as well.

we have far too much football on the TV as it is.

if you really want to watch football on Your TV at 3pm GMT then you can - no matter where you line. Besides if you don’t reside in the UK, then this restriction doesn’t apply so, how does it affect you? and why the hell would you even care?

This is why I said change the way the money is passed down, pass down more of it and support the clubs financially along with all grass roots football and lift the 3pm ban at the same time.

That's a better solution that keeping an outdated law in place especially when nobody can truly prove how much benefit it provides. If I was a chairman in a lower league I know what I would prefer, pounds and pence to invest in the club.

It has the potential to pump more money into the British football and provide more televised entertainment to the fans at the same time. Illegal streaming damages the British leagues and the prosperity of its clubs more than anything, televise more, people pay more, clubs benefit more. Simple as long as a fair chunk is passed down to the lower leagues.

You can't blame the cash cow that is the Premier League and the clubs within it for benefiting from being at the top of the tree, that's a false economy. Very few people would want to pay sky subscriptions to watch league 2 football. The PL is the crown jewel, it's what brings the ££££ into the British game. It's about apportioning the income it brings - fairly.
you are not changing the PL and it’s attitude which clearly is all about £money for themselves and screw anyone else.

I’m certainly not saying people would pay to watch league 2 on the tv, but people DO pay to go to the grounds and watch those matches, and we should do everything we can to preserve that and preserve those clubs.

PL clubs and the overarching organisation don’t give two shits about any form of football outside the PL. Would be great if they shared the wealth, it they don’t and they won’t.