UEFA Youth League - FC Basel vs Manchester United

In Rainbows

I really really want to see Puigmal playing with Gomes. Maybe we'll have to wait for the FA youth cup to see them play some significant minutes together.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
15:02
Fans refusing to pay in
Respect to the fans who are refusing to pay in and instead watching from the roof of a neighbouring car park...

MarchingOn

Any chance anyone has a stream link? Of course UEFA's Youtube channel is streaming Barca-Juve

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
United struggling to create.

Bohui couldn't spot a pass if his life depended on it.

SkeppyRed

1-0 Basel, good goal too.

Sang comes on for Garner and immediately gives a sloppy pass away in midfield, gets an absolute bollocking off of Williams and rightly so. Everytime i've seen Sang play he shown bits but his passing has been terrible for a central midfielder.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Definite pen. Terrible defending.

SkeppyRed

2-0 from the penalty spot. Shit performance so far.

deafepl

I didn't realize that Angel Gomes is really good at taking free kicks.

In Rainbows

Boonen and Gomes have been very quiet.
Expected when the midfield and defense can't properly build attacks. It's the same problem as the Benfica match. The team looks technically incompetent compared to the opposition. Luckily we've been able to scrape some goals.

It's time to start playing Puigmal in these European matches. We need to get a better grip in possession.

SkeppyRed

Expected when the midfield and defense can't properly build attacks. It's the same problem as the Benfica match. The team looks technically incompetent compared to the opposition. Luckily we've been able to scrape some goals.

It's time to start playing Puigmal in these European matches. We need to get a better grip in possession.
There's definitely a lack of cohesion, which is surprising seeing as there's lots of clever players in the team.

From what i've seen of Pumigal so far in the 18s he's taking a while to settle and hold down a first 11 spot.

In Rainbows

There's definitely a lack of cohesion, which is surprising seeing as there's lots of clever players in the team.

From what i've seen of Pumigal so far in the 18s he's taking a while to settle and hold down a first 11 spot.
We've been playing him on the wing which is where his quietness came from. He looked fine in the wing when Gomes and Chong briefly played with him as they played more one touch football.

O'Connor has been a positive in this match compared to the match vs Benfica which he didn't play a part in. Overall though, we just haven't looked comfortable in possession.

jb8521

1-0 Basel, good goal too.

Sang comes on for Garner and immediately gives a sloppy pass away in midfield, gets an absolute bollocking off of Williams and rightly so. Everytime i've seen Sang play he shown bits but his passing has been terrible for a central midfielder.
I'd agree with that, Sang's positional sense and ability to win the ball through interceptions or tackles are pretty good but it's a bit pointless if he's just handing it straight back to the opposition. He has a particularly poor tendency to telegraph where he's going to pass the ball in the defensive third and hand the ball to the opposition in dangerous areas with his team mates out of position.

SkeppyRed

I'd agree with that, Sang's positional sense and ability to win the ball through interceptions or tackles are pretty good but it's a bit pointless if he's just handing it straight back to the opposition. He has a particularly poor tendency to telegraph where he's going to pass the ball in the defensive third and hand the ball to the opposition in dangerous areas with his team mates out of position.
Yeh its strange isn't it, because there is a player in there and he doesn't seem to lack technically. Maybe its a concentration thing and that's why his coaches/teammates are so openly annoyed with it.

jb8521

Yeh its strange isn't it, because there is a player in there and he doesn't seem to lack technically. Maybe its a concentration thing and that's why his coaches/teammates are so openly annoyed with it.
Yeah as far as I know he wasn't in an academy before joining us at 16 and hasn't played much since joining us so he's probably not used to doing things at the same tempo as most of the other players

deafepl

yeah, I noticed that he is scoring a lot of goals, every time I hear that he scored a goal from free kicks, like last weekend after missing many games due to England's world cup under 17 and again this now, almost made a goal. Before he went to India with England's squad, he scored from free kicks too. He scored a goal from free kicks in two successive games vs Derby and Blackburn last weekend. He also scored a goal two time from a free kick for England in India if I recall.

He seems really good at a free kick, seriously.

Classical Mechanic

yeah, I noticed that he is scoring a lot of goals, every time I hear that he scored a goal from free kicks, like last weekend after missing many games due to England's world cup under 17 and again this now, almost made a goal. Before he went to India with England's squad, he scored from free kicks too. He scored a goal from free kicks in two successive games vs Derby and Blackburn last weekend. He also scored a goal two time from a free kick for England in India if I recall.

He seems really good at a free kick, seriously.
Indeed, almost every game!

In Rainbows

Now that I think about it, he has scored a lot of them this season. Blackburn, Moscow, and Chile. That's a good amount in a short amount of games.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I'd love to know who Jake Kenyon has upset, yeah he can be rash at times defensively, but his lung-busting runs from deep and crossing ability has been criminally underused so far this season in the 19s and 23s, as a leftie he'd have been ideal yesterday in the 3-5-2 system for balance alone.