UEFA Youth League - FK Brodarac vs Manchester United

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This referee should be ashamed of himself.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
These Serbian kids are not bad footballers at all, very technical, some of them.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
These Serbian kids are not bad footballers at all, very technical, some of them.
They're pretty bad, only way they've been able to get any sort of flow is by kicking lumps out of our team.

Android1974

Real Madrid only managed to dump Krasnodar on penalties. Sporting trashed by Salzburg, that's surprising! (Actually, they're the holders.)

Android1974

They're pretty bad, only way they've been able to get any sort of flow is by kicking lumps out of our team.
Don't agree, some seem gifted, although they're playing rough. Anyhow, we're not dominating at all, we're playing counterattack.

Blzbud

James Garner is really beginning to make me sit up and take notice. A 16 year old more than holding his own in a U19 game, after he was outstanding for the U18's on Saturday. The fact that he makes the starting 11 for this game at all says something about how highly he is rated in the club.

arthurka

James Garner is really beginning to make me sit up and take notice. A 16 year old more than holding his own in a U19 game, after he was outstanding for the U18's on Saturday. The fact that he makes the starting 11 for this game at all says something about how highly he is rated in the club.
I agree he looked really good for the u18's at the weekend and today he was really tidy ..

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
How was Burkart? Angel played on the right or centrally? I heard Garner had a great game? Could comfortable win in a game I thought might be tricky for our boys.

Last edited:

jb8521

Agree about Garner, been impressed all season, anybody know how we managed to get him out of Merseyside, were Everton and Liverpool not interested ?
We got to him into 1 of our development centres early

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
I keep hearing people say Garner is a centre back but we rarely produce holding midfielders who suite the role so well so I hope we keep him there long term and let master that position.

Redo91

Why is this over 1 leg? I thought it basically mirrored the CL? Also how did we play this side when their senior team isn't in the CL?

PoTMS

Why is this over 1 leg? I thought it basically mirrored the CL? Also how did we play this side when their senior team isn't in the CL?
This was a a playoff as only the winners of the group stages go through automatically - we finished second. The runner ups of each group is paired up in the playoffs against teams who are not in the UCL but are domestic champions. The winners of these playoff ties then play the group winners in the round of 16.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Might as well face as an exciting a team as possible, so bring on Barcelona's youth side!

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We got to him into 1 of our development centres early
Oh right, never thought of that, I could be wrong, or it may well have changed, but i'd always thought that the two Manchester clubs, and two Merseyside clubs had a gentleman's understanding that they would respect each others boundaries when it came to recruiting for the younger age groups.

I'd noticed that Cameron Brannagan was released by Liverpool recently, though he was highly rated in their 18s set-up, was a Salford lad, from a United mad family(apparently)yet he went to Liverpool as a 7 year old, so I thought maybe the gloves were off now, it's all out war, and United signing James Garner from Merseyside was a tit-for-tat for Liverpool taking Brannagan(and others in their underage teams from the Manchester area)

I really need to get out more. :lol:

Blzbud

I agree he looked really good for the u18's at the weekend and today he was really tidy ..
Of course the only concern is that he might be a Maverick.:nervous:

I'll get my coat and the walking stick I obviously need to be old enough to come up with that.

arthurka

Of course the only concern is that he might be a Maverick.:nervous:

I'll get my coat and the walking stick I obviously need to be old enough to come up with that.
No need to start walking..
I already said that he or injuries are the only thing that could stop him for reaching as far as he wants.

Redo91

This was a a playoff as only the winners of the group stages go through automatically - we finished second. The runner ups of each group is paired up in the playoffs against teams who are not in the UCL but are domestic champions. The winners of these playoff ties then play the group winners in the round of 16.
Cheers for the reply mate and clarifying that.

Can't understand why they follow the format of the CL for the group stages and then ditch it thereafter. Why not just stick with the whole way through? Also I don't see the sense in the last 16 being just one leg. Will the remaining rounds be over two legs or continue with just the one?

RB7N

Cheers for the reply mate and clarifying that.

Can't understand why they follow the format of the CL for the group stages and then ditch it thereafter. Why not just stick with the whole way through? Also I don't see the sense in the last 16 being just one leg. Will the remaining rounds be over two legs or continue with just the one?
I think it has something to do with letting clubs that don’t qualify to the mains, but are still the best in their country have their youth team compeate in Europe.

Redo91

I think it has something to do with letting clubs that don’t qualify to the mains, but are still the best in their country have their youth team compeate in Europe.
I suppose that does make sense. Would seem a bit unfair on top youth teams who's first team isn't in the CL.

KevinJoh

We did not have great game against those guys to be honest, just have been lucky to score 2 early goals from their mistakes (goalkeeper and OG). Beside that all we did was Gomes chance. On the other hand, our defense have been good under pressure of much physically stronger side and Fojticek did not have anything to do. Williams and OConnor excellent from my point of view, especially OConnor dealing with much stronger lads.

In the midfield we have not been able to keep the possession, so not sure that we should be too happy with this performance. Also, those Serbian kids have not been that older, like 20 vs 17 on average, most of them 18 years old, but obviously much stronger.

On the other hand, it was on artificial grass, and the bad one, and it was very windy and cold, so that could be a problem for us.

Anyone with info why Buffonge, Gribbin and Barlow for example are behind in the pecking order for U19 team? They all can play, Chong as well, but OK maybe he was takenbecause of the injury for precaution. Are those kids injured and not playing because of that, or just in bad form?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
We did not have great game against those guys to be honest, just have been lucky to score 2 early goals from their mistakes (goalkeeper and OG). Beside that all we did was Gomes chance. On the other hand, our defense have been good under pressure of much physically stronger side and Fojticek did not have anything to do. Williams and OConnor excellent from my point of view, especially OConnor dealing with much stronger lads.

In the midfield we have not been able to keep the possession, so not sure that we should be too happy with this performance. Also, those Serbian kids have not been that older, like 20 vs 17 on average, most of them 18 years old, but obviously much stronger.

On the other hand, it was on artificial grass, and the bad one, and it was very windy and cold, so that could be a problem for us.

Anyone with info why Buffonge, Gribbin and Barlow for example are behind in the pecking order for U19 team? They all can play, Chong as well, but OK maybe he was takenbecause of the injury for precaution. Are those kids injured and not playing because of that, or just in bad form?
Buffonge and Gribbin are over age and weren't picked as the 3 overage players.

I assume Barlow was injured.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
If there's no Country protection in the next round we're bound to get City, and strange it's only one match, maybe it should be at a neutral venue then.
Told you it would be Liverpool.

Bayern Munich v Real Madrid
Manchester City v Inter Milan
Atletico Madrid v FC Basel
FC Porto v FC Salzburg
Paris St-Germain v FC Barcelona
Liverpool v Manchester United
Tottenham Hotspur v AS Monaco
Chelsea v Feyenoord

If United beat Liverpool they will play either Manchester City or Inter Milan in the quarter-finals of the competition.

Last edited:

KevinJoh

so all fixtures are one match only? We would be away team in quarter finals and home in Semis? I guess Final is on neutral venue?