UK Food Poverty

No, they won't. The only support is a possible £140 warm weather grant and its nothing to do with the councils. Please stop being factually inaccurate.

More people need more money to live on, shocker. It's enough to exist on if X Y Z are correct. If you or I suddenly went onto benefits it'd likely not be enough. (assuming our savings were drained first). And we'd exist, but not healthily.
There are also cold weather payments available and energy grants from the electricity companies themselves.

It's a question of what your fundamental beliefs are as to how much you think the state should do above the line of mere existence. Everybody is going to be different.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Were talking about complex societal, logistical & economic issues, and you’re citing Quora as a place to get answers, that’s why I’m laughing

Yep my work do something similar with two local food banks near our offices and we now have monthly drives where we donate office food, and people can bring in canned goods & other house items hygienic items.
On a small scale it’s possible, but scaling it while also decreasing food wastage is the challenge & each area im sure will have different individual problems too.
But this, along with housing should be a priority for any government imo.
The Irony. There are 100s over people who actually knows what they're talking about, and actually in the position to comment on "giving leftover food" because they have done so themselves, not based on your "I think it would work"

Maybe, you should learn to read what people are writting, before laughing at things you also don't have an experience with.

But oh, wait, you donate food once, that makes you the WHO expert. So how bout you start a "Feed the homeless campaign with leftovers", starting from your personal pages and see where it goes eh?

owlo

There are also cold weather payments available and energy grants from the electricity companies themselves.

It's a question of what your fundamental beliefs are as to how much you think the state should do above the line of mere existence. Everybody is going to be different.
There are no energy grants from the companies. By cold weather payments do you mean the £25 people get for a week of constant temps below freezing lol? https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment

And your latter statement is true. Though keeping people in a state of 'mere existence' likely costs more in the end.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The Irony. There are 100s over people who actually knows what they're talking about, and actually in the position to comment on "giving leftover food" because they have done so themselves, not based on your "I think it would work"

Maybe, you should learn to read what people are writting, before laughing at things you also don't have an experience with.

But oh, wait, you donate food once, that makes you the WHO expert. So how bout you start a "Feed the homeless campaign with leftovers", starting from your personal pages and see where it goes eh?
Quote where I called myself an expert.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Quote where I called myself an expert.
A Laughing ":lol:", you must be one hell of an expert to laugh at other's people opinion so casually.

I don't mind if you disagree, by all means explain your points, rebuke, or discuss, this is a forum after all. But at least have some manner to respect people's opinion, especially when they're actually hundreds of people voicing theirs.

But anyway, welcome to my ignore list. I don't have time for people with no manner.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
A Laughing ":lol:", you must be one hell of an expert to laugh at other's people opinion so casually.

I don't mind if you disagree, by all means explain your points, rebuke, or discuss, this is a forum after all. But at least have some manner to respect people's opinion, especially when they're actually hundreds of people voicing theirs.

But anyway, welcome to my ignore list. I don't have time for people with no manner.
You referred to Quora as a reliable source to cite from when we're discussing possibly one of the biggest societal issues that we're facing in this country & worldwide, yes.
Random people who own restaurants and write about their experiences with the homeless in their localised area have a skewed perspective that isn't representative & can't be scaled, and amounts to very little in the wider context. And then beyond that - you realise people can just lie on there right? It's not a quality source of information.

The fact that you can't see that is what I laughed at, and it says nothing about me thinking of myself as an expert. I've openly accepted my ignorance on how to fix the issue, but it doesn't stop me from identifying that it IS an issue, that should be prioritised.

Feck your ignore list :lol:

Dan_F

I really struggle with that last paragraph. So are you saying you’re fine living in a society with the statistics out there at the moment or that you don’t believe them?

I’d also point out that huge amounts of people who are eligible don’t claim them. This could be for any number of reasons such as not knowing they are eligible, lack of English, lack of internet access, stigma around it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You referred to Quora as a reliable source to cite from when we're discussing possibly one of the biggest societal issues that we're facing in this country & worldwide, yes.
Random people who own restaurants and write about their experiences with the homeless in their localised area have a skewed perspective that isn't representative & can't be scaled, and amounts to very little in the wider context. And then beyond that - you realise people can just lie on there right? It's not a quality source of information.

The fact that you can't see that is what I laughed at, and it says nothing about me thinking of myself as an expert. I've openly accepted my ignorance on how to fix the issue, but it doesn't stop me from identifying that it IS an issue, that should be prioritised.

Feck your ignore list :lol:
Between a football forum poster who doesn't even post with their real credentials, yes. I hold their opinion much more than you.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Between a football forum poster who doesn't even post with their real credentials, yes. I hold their opinion much more than you.
You don't know anything about me just like you don't know anything about random people on quora, nor whether their perspective (or mine) can be applied to society at large.

owlo

I really struggle with that last paragraph. So are you saying you’re fine living in a society with the statistics out there at the moment or that you don’t believe them?

I’d also point out that huge amounts of people who are eligible don’t claim them. This could be for any number of reasons such as not knowing they are eligible, lack of English, lack of internet access, stigma around it.
Not to mention those who simply don't need it. I could claim AFIP but why do so when it's not currently needed?

I'm saying that the answer is not simply 'give people more money'. There needs to be an equal focus on what people are doing with the money they are given. Not in terms of accosting them for waste but helping them manage money better.

When it comes to food banks, if you offer somebody a choice of sacrificing something to get something else, or sacrifice nothing and get the something else for free, how many will choose the former? Some people have no choice but as there are plenty of people living on benefits and not using food banks, it can't only be that the benefits amounts given are not enough. Food bank use in the UK has risen well beyond the pace of inflation, food price increases, benefits cuts or anything like that. So you cannot say that its only cost of living increases that have driven people to them either. I think there are a lot of people signing up to them because they are there and its the easiest thing to do, easier than making cuts elsewhere in their lives, and its self fulfilling. The more of them there are the more people will sign up to them.

Fts 74

Cheers mate. Hope you never do and she's moved on to greener pastures! Still, a quick 'I'm moving on text' would be appreciated.... Finding appropriate cleaners is a nightmare for me.
I'm from North Manchester and if you still need a cleaner let me know.

owlo

I'm saying that the answer is not simply 'give people more money'. There needs to be an equal focus on what people are doing with the money they are given. Not in terms of accosting them for waste but helping them manage money better.

When it comes to food banks, if you offer somebody a choice of sacrificing something to get something else, or sacrifice nothing and get the something else for free, how many will choose the former? Some people have no choice but as there are plenty of people living on benefits and not using food banks, it can't only be that the benefits amounts given are not enough. Food bank use in the UK has risen well beyond the pace of inflation, food price increases, benefits cuts or anything like that. So you cannot say that its only cost of living increases that have driven people to them either. I think there are a lot of people signing up to them because they are there and its the easiest thing to do, easier than making cuts elsewhere in their lives, and its self fulfilling. The more of them there are the more people will sign up to them.
You surely have your head in the clouds. If you read the Trussell Trust link I posted some posts ago here: https://www.trusselltrust.org/2021/...-debt-crisis-facing-households-at-food-banks/ you'll see some of the statistics. I cannot imagine myself having ever signed up to a food bank unless absolutely starving, and probably not even then. Only if I needed to feed my kids.

I'm from North Manchester and if you still need a cleaner let me know.
If you are not an agency, have references, and are happy to undertake security vetting, then PM me a resume.

You surely have your head in the clouds. If you read the Trussell Trust link I posted some posts ago here: https://www.trusselltrust.org/2021/...-debt-crisis-facing-households-at-food-banks/ you'll see some of the statistics. I cannot imagine myself having ever signed up to a food bank unless absolutely starving, and probably not even then. Only if I needed to feed my kids.
I don't see how anything in that link proves or disproves. People using food banks are in debt, that's not surprising, and little different from them not being able to afford food. Both stem from the same issues.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This seems like a good solution

Buy now,
pay later at
Uber Eats

Pay for your next purchase at Uber Eats in 4 installments over 6 weeks when you check out with Zip, previously Quadpay.
https://zip.co/us/store/uber-eats

I can't find the how much the interest is or I've not looked very hard. This could be a real game changer, if you have access to this and starve, do you really deserve to be living?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This seems like a good solution

https://zip.co/us/store/uber-eats

I can't find the how much the interest is or I've not looked very hard. This could be a real game changer, if you have access to this and starve, do you really deserve to be living?
Agreed. Noticed payment installment schemes for <10$ items recently. Never a better time as a consumer in a dynamic global marketplace.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Good news?
Very good news. Look at the current item list here

There is a lot of items that just have zero relevance to a low income family and mean the index bares virtually zero relation to their cost of living.

Does the impact on a low income family really need to take into account private education costs, private medical care costs, holidays, caravans, foreign student course fees?

I’m sure there is a purpose for this index and it’s useful to keep a record over the years but it’s absolutely useless when assessing how much universal basic income should be set.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Very good news. Look at the current item list here

There is a lot of items that just have zero relevance to a low income family and mean the index bares virtually zero relation to their cost of living.

Does the impact on a low income family really need to take into account private education costs, private medical care costs, holidays, caravans, foreign student course fees?

I’m sure there is a purpose for this index and it’s useful to keep a record over the years but it’s absolutely useless when assessing how much universal basic income should be set.
The index is about calculating inflation, no? Which defines salary/welfare payment increases. If this makes it more accurate then great.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The index is about calculating inflation, no? Which defines salary/welfare payment increases. If this makes it more accurate then great.
It is yeah. But to give an extreme example, do you think benefits should be calculated against the price of a new Aston Martin DB7?

Measuring inflation is obviously going to have its use in the broader sense of analysing the economy but it has no relevance when assessing the cost of living to low income families.

I think the point of Jack’s original thread was that Rice and Pasta, two staples of a low income diet have increased by something like 200-300% in the last couple of years yet the official figures say it was around 2% in 2020.

Deery

Dreary
They just hiked my gas up another 33% which is another £5 a week and one of the solutions they have written on the back of the letter is spend less time in the shower, so you can be poor and stink as well, thanks Firmus!