UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickm

People cry out for a principled, genuine politician who isn't only about soundbites and smiles for the camera.

When one comes along he is a threat to the status quo so the media smear him and sell the "unelectable" line till people believe it.

Don't you see how, if this continues, we will never end up with a genuine and principled politicians or leaders, from any party. Just more soundbites and media smiles?
A lot of people happen to think Corbyn is neither principled nor genuine. That should be obvious to anyone who has followed the criticisms of his past.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
He. Still. Lost.
Okay but your point was that it was the biggest target, and he did better than smaller targets. Now you are changing your point, I assume because you have realised that you are talking bollocks.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Some woman on Granada just summed up the problem we are facing.

Her biggest concern was staying in the EU, and in a constituency split between Labour and Conservative. Yet she couldn't decide which of the 2 she wanted to vote for.

Shamwow

So the Labour supporters and activitists should have put their values aside and picked someone the Sun and Mail would approve of?

They gave Milliband and Brown a brutal time too in case you’ve forgotten.
He basically - if you read between the lines - wants someone good looking so he can have a wank over them fecking the country.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
See that’s what I’m curious about, not the daft unicorn stuff, but if the serious questions on financing are ever asked on the doorstep and how the canvasser answers them
Probably something about taxing rich people.
Expecting more outrageous spending claims in the coming days. When you know you're not going to win you can claim anything and afterwards say, if only people had voted for us....

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
A lot of people happen to think Corbyn is neither principled nor genuine. That should be obvious to anyone who has followed the criticisms of his past.
Yet he has one of the most consistent voting records in parliament which aligns exactly with the agenda he pushes.

Meanwhile you have Boris who is an absolute fraud in every sense of the word and blows with the wind.

Unlikely lad

Some woman on Granada just summed up the problem we are facing.

Her biggest concern was staying in the EU, and in a constituency split between Labour and Conservative. Yet she couldn't decide which of the 2 she wanted to vote for.
The answer is clearly Labour then, I don't understand.

Paul the Wolf

The Labour policy is a confirmatory referendum on brexit.

Now that we know the only options are;

(1) Leave with no deal,
(2) Leave with a pretty bad deal
or
(3) Remain.

Labour will re negotiate the best leave (with deal) that they can then put it to a vote. It seems to me the only way to bring people together over this issue.
Which of these two will Corbyn be negotiating for?

jeff_goldblum

Ironically, the reason we have such a virulent anti-Labour media now is because smooth media operator Tony Blair agreed to bin a manifesto commitment to prevent media tycoons dominating the press in exchange for favourable coverage from Rupert Murdoch prior to the 1997 election.

Shamwow

Ironically, the reason we have such a virulent anti-Labour media now is because smooth media operator Tony Blair agreed to bin a manifesto commitment to prevent media tycoons dominating the press in exchange for favourable coverage from Rupert Murdoch prior to the 1997 election.
Yeah but he was telegenic which is the most important quality a Prime Minister should have.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I'm blaming Labour for choosing a leader who is not media friendly. This isn't anything new. Everyone has known since Kennedy beat Nixon that having someone who was good with the media was a critical factor in winning elections. Labour's naivety and arrogance, that they think they are somehow above base calculations about what it takes to win electoral advantage, is the problem here.
See, that's where we differ. I think the problem is a biased media relentlessly spinning and intentionally misleading. That and the fools that lap it up. Call me a dreamer but I think the role of the media and journalists should be to report as honestly and factual as possible.

Also, applying your logic, why have the Tories put up Boris then? A man ridiculed by so many, who is known to be a complete buffoon and who has regularly come away with racist remarks in the media?

lovely touch.
How else could I have worded it? The people most likely to be intentionally misled are the older generation? Which demographic is targeted by bogus gasmen and fraudster call centres more than any other?

Shamwow

Do you spend your life insulting people or is it just in this thread. Sad.

So you still believe in unicorns
I would kindly explain to you that if you'd read the line after the one that you bolded, you'd have answered your own question. But we both know that your question was disengenuous and it would be patronising for me to be anything other than blunt.

Paul the Wolf

I would kindly explain to you that if you'd read the line after the one that you bolded, you'd have answered your own question. But we both know that your question was disengenuous and it would be patronising for me to be anything other than blunt.
The line after makes no sense, what Corbyn is proposing is not possible and the only way to stop no deal without agreeing a deal (which is not guaranteed) is to revoke A50 .

Kaos

I dunno, the last time Labour thought seriously about how to win elections, they chose Blair, the sharpest media operator perhaps ever.

Also, IMO Labour activists keep confusing passion and romance for values.
What exactly constitutes being a 'sharp media operator' these days? Getting on Murdoch's Christmas card list?

And your second point is a bizarre one to put it generously - I'm sure the millions of his supporters who have been at the brutal receiving end of a decade's worth of austerity had no reason to vote for Corbyn other than 'passion and romance'. I take it that a concern for the poorest and most vulnerable in society isn't a value either?

Shamwow

The line after makes no sense, what Corbyn is proposing is not possible and the only way to stop no deal without agreeing a deal (which is not guaranteed) is to revoke A50 .
"Labour will re negotiate the best leave (with deal) that they can"

This is what you are saying is impossible.

It's really hard for me to comment on what you are saying without calling it fecking stupid.

Kaos

Yeah, but if they have similar advertising models to my company's websites, it's ultimately all about pageviews. Obviously higher uniques and more articles per user are desirable/helpful, but most advertisers struggle to get beyond that headline pageviews figure.
Yes, page views are all that ultimately matter from a revenue perspective, but the point I was making is the the bulk of its page views source from users landing on articles from other sources, or those interested in gossip pages or football stories. Only a small minority of those page views can be attributed to habitual users that deliberately visit the Sun for their source of news.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You have no clue what you’re talking about. Just read. Just a little.

nickm

Okay but your point was that it was the biggest target, and he did better than smaller targets. Now you are changing your point, I assume because you have realised that you are talking bollocks.
He's. Losing. Again.

hubbuh

'Costed' is one word for it. All I see from Corbyn is some vague promise that he will negotiate a new and fantastic EU deal, despite being told repeatedly that the EU wont do this, and some unrealistic and quite ridiculous taxation revenue claims to support the largest spending plans most of us have ever seen. If, as pretty much every economic expert in the country predicts, it doesn't work as planned, we will be paying for it figuratively and literally for the rest of our lives.

Labour play all the same tricks and games the Tories do. In an echo chamber you just don't see it.
Ugh biases are inevitable but outright lies are intolerable and is gutter-level press stuff.

Segment

People cry out for a principled, genuine politician who isn't only about soundbites and smiles for the camera.

When one comes along he is a threat to the status quo so the media smear him and sell the "unelectable" line till people believe it.

Don't you see how, if this continues, we will never end up with a genuine and principled politicians or leaders, from any party. Just more soundbites and media smiles?
Well said mate. His voting record is brilliant. He is against war. Against violence. Against racism - And yes, critising the Israel government on their behaviour towards the Palestine issue is no anti-semitic.

The JME video is two years old, but how can anyone call Corbyn not genuine through watching that? With regards to Grenfell two years back, Corbyn rolled up, no security - a fantastic person

nickm

See, that's where we differ. I think the problem is a biased media relentlessly spinning and intentionally misleading. That and the fools that lap it up. Call me a dreamer but I think the role of the media and journalists should be to report as honestly and factual as possible.
I can understand why you think that, but the biased media always relentlessly spins and misleads. Whatever you idealistically think the role of the media should be, you have to recognise what it is, and have some kind of plan for it. Whatever you think of the way Blair handled it, he did at least recognise he had to handle it.

Also, applying your logic, why have the Tories put up Boris then? A man ridiculed by so many, who is known to be a complete buffoon and who has regularly come away with racist remarks in the media?
But Boris proves my point. He built his career in the media, in print, online and on TV. When he was mayor of London, he was never out of the Evening Standard on one media stunt or another. Even his name 'Boris' is a construct for the media. I can't stand the man but his media profile is at least 50% of why he's PM.

nickm

I'm sure Neil Kinnock would give that a hollow laugh if he read that.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

'Psst. Don't mention the NHS. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right.'

Johnson is genuinely cruel, and is focused entirely on wealth and power. Corbyn is indecisive and arguably an incompetent leader (as is Johnson), but is well intentioned. The two are eons apart in terms of who they are and what they represent.
See this I disagree with. Corbyn is clearly as nasty as anyone, he just has different targets. Look at his political past and his handling of his own party. He is far from the nice guy some want him to be.

Shamwow

See this I disagree with. Corbyn is clearly as nasty as anyone, he just has different targets. Look at his political past and his handling of his own party. He is far from the nice guy some want him to be.
If you truly believed this you'd make a more convincing case for it

Status
Not open for further replies.