UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I kind of saw it coming, we can attempt to think better, but all Trump and Brexit has shown is that far right politics is a winning combination right now. The media have a far greater impact than some of you think.
Absolutely. I don't know where some of you live or who you speak to but we're in a bad place at the moment. Maybe it's the death throes of the boomer generation I don't know. They wont be remembered fondly that's for sure.

cyberman

They've shown little concern about racism from the Tories this whole election tbh.
Thats why the bleeting of social media outcries needs to die a fecking death.
Its the only way regular voices can now be heard.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Four Tory governments in a row. Christ.

Pretty sure if you vote for them five times in a row it summons the ghost of Margaret Thatcher to kill you with a hook jammed into the bloody stump of her right arm. Roll on #GE2024.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Thing is, leftist parties get told that they have to nominate centrists while right-wing parties march further and further to the right. The end result will be an overall slide towards the right.
So surely some kind of reasonable centrist is exactly what we need? With Boris and Co pulling further to the right, pulling to the left looks just as unpalatable to the electable.

cyberman

Absolutely. I don't know where some of you live or who you speak to but we're in a bad place at the moment. Maybe it's the death throes of the boomer generation I don't know. They wont be remembered fondly that's for sure.
Are we still blaming older people after this?

Siorac

Christ, it's hard work at times.

The hard left is not going to win, screw what the right are doing at the moment. I'm saying Labour could and should come back in again, not all the way, but not so far out either. I mean, if they don't and we end up with another Corbyn what exactly do you think is going to happen again?

I'm in no way saying that's how it SHOULD be, but that's how it is. People becry, rightly so, these people voting for a government fecking us all over. But I also have to shake my head at how so many can watch this utter humiliation go down and just want more of the same.
What you're advocating is simply giving up. That leftists everywhere should just accept that the right won, and the only realistic options are 'not that far to the right, hunting the poor for sport is still frowned upon' or 'proper right where business owns your fecking soul'.

These are not appealing options to your average left-leaning voter. You can alienate them easily by simply giving them more neoliberalism - and frankly, that's reasonable: if you want that, you might as well vote Tory/Republican/Liberal (in Aus).

And of course a lot of it is simply urban-rural divide and generational divide. In that, demographics are against the conservatives. There should be a shift, eventually - let's hope the world can hold out until then.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It’s because of our echo chambers, like someone pointed out earlier. Go to any post on Facebook regarding Corbyn and watch the middle age morons go mad.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just for giggles - surely we need some light relief...

A teacher asked her class how many of them were Jeremy Corbyn fans.
Not really knowing what a Jeremy Corbyn fan is, but wanting to be liked by the teacher, all the kids raised their hands except for Little Johnny.
The teacher asked Little Johnny why he has decided to be different...again.
Little Johnny said, 'Because I'm not a Jeremy Corbyn fan.'
The teacher asked, 'Why aren't you a Jeremy Corbyn fan?'
Johnny said, 'Because I'm a Conservative.'
The teacher asked him why he's a Conservative.
Little Johnny answered,
'Well, my Mum's a Conservative and my Dad's a Conservative, so I'm a Conservative.'
Annoyed by this answer, the teacher asked, 'If your Mum was a moron and your Dad was an idiot, what would that make you?’
Little Johnny replied, 'A Jeremy Corbyn fan !!
fecking hell.

imagine.

marktan

The solution seems to be pushing further and further to the right which suggests it's not centrism that's a winning strategy. It's fear and appeals to xenophobia and 'national pride' and the evil bureaucrats of the EU or the 'deep state', depending on where you are.

The left needs to be better at demonising its opposition to get those 'centrists'. But then they'll alienate their own core who are generally much stricter and less forgiving regarding their 'own team' than right-wingers who seem to accept just about anything from their own.
It's just how it's trending. You can say whatever about principles, but there's not near enough a population for a left-ist party to win an election. So it's either adopt centrist policies e.g. economically (at least publicly) or stick to your ideas and remain a fringe party.

The thing is, the vast majority of people are normal working people, e.g. families who own a house in some town or city. They don't want to see things like nationalisation and new, untested economic ideas. They want stability, with a moderate rise in living levels (via the NHS, policing etc). Corbyn and co whist well-meaning don't understand this, as well as being extremely uncharismatic as a leader and thus not voteable for. If someone like Obama came along with leftist ideas he'd probably have a better shot at doing well.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'd love to skip it but there's gonna be several weddings early next year and they are petty enough to call attention to me skipping it months down the line. I'm just gonna go, drink myself into a stupor and try not to glass my uncle when he inevitably says something about how people shouldn't be allowed the safety net of food banks - that was last christmas meet-up...
Tough break.

Jesus. I just couldn't!
Me and my GF have already decided not to go to a big family event this weekend. feck them and what they think. Luckily enough she is a complete convert and agrees with me 100% on these people fecking the country.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I kind of saw it coming, we can attempt to think better, but all Trump and Brexit has shown is that far right politics is a winning combination right now. The media have a far greater impact than some of you think.
The media owns this country.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My bad, I forgot you guys on here love left/right debates and see everything on those terms.

But no, I'm talking about moving back in some, not going all the way centrist. That won't work either.

I'm also not saying that's how it should be, I agree completely our politics need to change. But for that to happen, Labour need to get back in and they need to do what it takes. That's the harsh reality mate, if tonight doesn't prove that then nothing will.
I just genuinely thought that's what you meant, wasn't trying to be absolute about it for debate purposes.
If the rumours about the Tories looking to change the boundaries are true then it could be difficult either way.

Supports
Barcelona
With all due respect, but even lalalands are more grounded in reality than many leftists. Just as the right has gone nuts, the left isn't much better. When you lose one election after another it's time to take a critcial look at your own people instead of labelling and blaming others.

I am not British, and I am not talking about the economic policies and sorry for intruding. I just don't get, and I mentioned that earlier in this thread, how remainers are not uniting for this election and forgetting about their ideological differences, or how you expect someone radical like Corbyn to win!

Charlie Foley

Just for giggles - surely we need some light relief...

A teacher asked her class how many of them were Jeremy Corbyn fans.
Not really knowing what a Jeremy Corbyn fan is, but wanting to be liked by the teacher, all the kids raised their hands except for Little Johnny.
The teacher asked Little Johnny why he has decided to be different...again.
Little Johnny said, 'Because I'm not a Jeremy Corbyn fan.'
The teacher asked, 'Why aren't you a Jeremy Corbyn fan?'
Johnny said, 'Because I'm a Conservative.'
The teacher asked him why he's a Conservative.
Little Johnny answered,
'Well, my Mum's a Conservative and my Dad's a Conservative, so I'm a Conservative.'
Annoyed by this answer, the teacher asked, 'If your Mum was a moron and your Dad was an idiot, what would that make you?’
Little Johnny replied, 'A Jeremy Corbyn fan !!
:lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Weird. So my constituency is 99% certain to stay SNP. BUT my old constituency is apparently a swing from Labour to SNP...even though there isn't an SNP candidate?!?!

saivet

You are now, it wasn't clear originally tbh. It depends on policies really, I doubt a centrist Labour leader would've done much better unless they were backing brexit.
I tend to agree. The Tories just banged their drum that Brexit can be completed asap. Labour couldn't back the current deal, otherwise why did they reject it? If they said they were a leave party and wanted a better deal (with no referendum), I'm not sure the electorate would be keen for a third Brexit deal.

Given the clear backing of Brexit, there's not much more they could have done.

Rightly or wrongly people fear Corbyn but given the projected loss, with a different leader, this just be a smaller loss.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The flesh of murdered innocents. I have a lamp shade made from the skin of princess Diana.
You might be funny if you didn't try with every fibre of your being to make everything you say really hilarious. You're basically Alan Partridge. I feel sorry for you.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
How on earth did anybody ever think it was a good idea to have Corbyn as party leader is beyond me. The guy probably means well, but he’s totally unelectable. I wouldn’t have voted for him.
Labour needs a shift to the the center and charismatic leader who appeals to a much broader public.
I don't get this why do we have to compromise for a progressive, left wing and fairer society?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
How can it be this bad? Seriously?

Am I wrong to think Labour was the right choice or is most of Britain outside of their minds? Honestly which is it

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Weird. So my constituency is 99% certain to stay SNP. BUT my old constituency is apparently a swing from Labour to SNP...even though there isn't an SNP candidate?!?!
Don't think it works for Scotland. I am wary of the 55 figure.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Four Tory governments in a row. Christ.

Pretty sure if you vote for them five times in a row it summons the ghost of Margaret Thatcher to kill you with a hook jammed into the bloody stump of her right arm. Roll on #GE2024.
Does she scream "fecking miner" at you whilst doing it?

finneh

Thank god for that. Think I've spent too long on this forum as I thought it'd be a hung Parliament.

I should have paid far more attention to my staff in West Brom, Wolverhampton, Bilston, Oldbury, Dudley, Walsall etc. Corbyn's name has become a swear word to them.

Amarsdd

I look forward to getting rinsed in negotiations with America.

I suppose they will still find a way to blame the Labour Party?
what are the chances of Trump and BJ start talking publicly about NHS being on the table in a matter of days?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.