UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Will be interesting to see how the campaigns are ran.

Tories will obviously make it all about Brexit.

So will the Lib Dems I assume but from the other side.

Labour to focus on domestic issues with a backdrop of a second referendum?

Might appeal to people who are sick of hearing about Brexit. I think they really need to zero in on this being possibly the last chance to save the NHS, Tory tax cuts for the rich and threat to increase the retirement age...etc...Christ knows they have enough ammo.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Will be interesting to see how the campaigns are ran.

Tories will obviously make it all about Brexit.

So will the Lib Dems I assume but from the other side.

Might appeal to people who are sick of hearing about Brexit. I think they really need to zero in on this being possibly the last chance to save the NHS, Tory tax cuts for the rich and threat to increase the retirement age...etc...Christ knows they have enough ammo.
nothing is going to cut through the brexit issue... especially when labour have such a mess of a policy (negotiate a better deal with added unicorns that we might campaign against anyway - or we might campaign for it or we might have a free vote - or we might not)

if they can offer something better than that then they might get to move the debate onto other stuff... if not there are simply going to asked to explain that again and again - they might get a more coherent position after conference i guess?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Labour will try and avoid talking about the negotiate a magical deal resplendent with unicorns and then have a vote on it where they remain neutral
They will be hammered and hammered and hammered in every interview to take a firm stance on the biggest issue
It will either cripple them... Or most labour MPs will get fed up and just say they support remain ... The sooner they do that the better for them

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Gonna be grim in every sense.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So since the referendum we'll have had 2 general elections.

But there couldn't possibly be another referendum... That would be undemocratic.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Seen some fair points made that a winter/Christmas election may have certain optical benefits for Labour. Collective spirit tends to be a bit higher in the country around that time of year which may bode well for the left. And Labour will be able to focus on homelessness/isolation at that time of year and the impact of austerity in that regard. A message on how x number of people won't have anyone to enjoy Christmas with while they're on the streets seems like a fairly obvious message for the party to pursue.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Few recognisable names still not getting back in then.

Fingeredmouse

So, if we assume that the SNP landslide Scotland + NI's 18(? -I think it's 18)+Lucas+Plaid/Indies and we get a decent Lib Dem showing (which polls suggest is likely) then we could have close to, or even in excess of, 100 non Tory or Labour MPs.
Preventing a Tory a majority is, in that case, possible. Whether the non Tories could work together or not is another matter.
I do believe my pessimistic initial assessment of a Tory landslide may simply have been driven by a bout of despair.

CallyRed

Christmas election? Just like Love Actually

Could be Corbyn dancing to Girls Aloud.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So, if we assume that the SNP landslide Scotland + NI's 18(? -I think it's 18)+Lucas+Plaid/Indies and we get a decent Lib Dem showing (which polls suggest is likely) then we could have close to, or even in excess of, 100 non Tory or Labour MPs.
Preventing a Tory a majority is, in that case, possible. Whether the non Tories could work together or not is another matter.
I do believe my pessimistic initial assessment of a Tory landslide may simply have been driven by a bout of despair.
It really depends on how well they do against Labour. The SNP will almost certainly take 5-10 seats from them. The Lib Dems will gain some moderate urban Remain Tory seats unless they crash. But if the Tories poll on, say, 35% and Labour are on 20-25%, they'll still won comfortably. Not sure that'll be the case though - I suspect they'll win, but probably retain a fairly similar minority to what they had in 2017, perhaps with a slight majority. Labour only really need to be 5% behind or so for it to be quite tight.

Fingeredmouse

Could be the Democratic Unicorn Party or the Ulster Unicorn Party.
I wish they were the Democratic Unicorn Party. With a name like that, they'd have to become more loveable.
I assume, though, that the DUP believe Unicorns didn't make the ark and are therefore loathed by god, so seems unlikely.
"Unicorns are Catholic beasts" Rev Ian Paisley.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I wish they were the Democratic Unicorn Party. With a name like that, they'd have to become more loveable.
I assume, though, that the DUP believe Unicorns didn't make the ark and are therefore loathed by god, so seems unlikely.
"Unicorns are Catholic beasts" Rev Ian Paisley.
To be fair, their immense religion means they're quite happy to base their politics on things that don't actually exist, so maybe one day.

Sweet Square

Probably libs... Aka the yellow Tories as I'm a red Tory blairite scum apparently
In fairness not sure how anyone could complain about this after voting lib dem. Your just proving their point, right ?
Seen some fair points made that a winter/Christmas election may have certain optical benefits for Labour. Collective spirit tends to be a bit higher in the country around that time of year which may bode well for the left. And Labour will be able to focus on homelessness/isolation at that time of year and the impact of austerity in that regard. A message on how x number of people won't have anyone to enjoy Christmas with while they're on the streets seems like a fairly obvious message for the party to pursue.
Yeah can see this playing something of a factor.

That's really fecking insulting, joke or otherwise. You commies really are the pits of the earth.
:lol:

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

Hope so. We seriously need to get the Tories out.

Swinson (aka the female David Cameron) and the Lib Dems once again looking like Tory enablers isn't going to help.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Horrible feeling about this one but seeing Corbyn appear confident makes me feel a little better.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I hope we have a feck of great blizzard and the baby boomers are all stuck in their miserable bungalows.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Shudders

I'm just a tax machine, feeding my fantasy
Kick out a jew or three and I'm fine
I need a brexit day, 'stead of this people's say
I'll make the Blairites pay, with their life
how did you scoop the manifesto

NWRed

First December election in nearly a century it seems.

Who’s voting for who? @Sassy Colin we already know your vote.
If I vote non tactically then it'll be Lib Dem, been Labour all my life up to this years local and EU elections, just can't stomach either Corbyn or my local MP, who voted for Johnson's deal.

If it looks like the Tories or The Brexit Party will take the seat then I may have to vote another way but I hope not.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Health bumps up the agenda in Winter as well.

Definitely won’t just be the ‘Brexit election’ that certain parties are after. I don’t think we’ll see a huge Tory majority. Beyond that I’ve no idea what will happen.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Thank f*ck for the Ignore feature.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Any chance Swinson or Johnson lose their seats?

Johnson - 23,716
Lo (Labour) - 18,682

Majority - 5,034

Swinson - 21,023
Nicholson (SNP) - 15,684

Majority - 5,339

Think Boris probably holds on. Swinson's could well be in danger. If she lost her seat presumably she would have to resign as leader?

Precaution

It'll end in disaster just like how May thought it would be good for her, it'll be the start of more unrest and divide and a potential breakup of the Union, good job.

Smores

Thought Caroline Lucas had a very good point. This is going to be one of the most important parliamentary sessions for fighting climate change and yet it'll barely get a mention amongst all this brexit nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.