UK Government: "fan led review" of football to take place

0le

Oliver Dowden just given a speech in Parliament.

Focus of the review will be an examination of football in this country, sustainability and independent regulator. Also consider how fans can have a greater say in the game.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Too little too late

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wonder to what extent the horse has bolted from this particular stable.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I said in the other thread, we need to reflect the law in Germany which makes it mandatory for supporters clubs to own a percentage of shares which gives them full voting rights.

0le

I said in the other thread, we need to reflect the law in Germany which makes it mandatory for supporters clubs to own a percentage of shares which gives them full voting rights.
I listened to the full speech waiting for them to say something like this. The closest they came was to say something like "whatever it takes" in response to supporting the PL, UEFA and co in stopping the super league.

OverratedOpinion

Would be an absolute dream come true and I would be eagerly buying shares tomorrow but does anyone really think that will happen?

Swedish_Plumber

Absolutely, it’s a bit of a farce that they’ve come out with this review and think it’s enough.

Anyone that looks on Twitter can review rather quickly what’s wrong with football. Now is the time for more substantial action and not the bare minimum of reviewing and waiting a while to see what that finds.

0le

The full speech is here from 26:10:

Varun1

Maybe we need a "public led review" into the Government's spending and allocation of contracts.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Maybe we need a "public led review" into the Government's spending and allocation of contracts.
This :lol:

They are using this as a deflection from their own tawdry practices. Sad to see some fall for it.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
This reeks of covering their asses politically without actually doing anything decisive to stop the proposal.

Ixion

Actually hoping the Government saves the day. Like rooting for the bad guy.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Excellent idea

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Goodness what a surprise, the Tory government jumps on public bandwagon to look good, but everyone knows the reports this government comes up with are just pure shite - see racism report, Russian report, covid report rinse and repeat.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Anyone from the UK knows review is a keyword for delay for 5 years and do feck all. If this was the US, I'd be more optimistic.

0le

Anyone from the UK knows review is a keyword for delay for 5 years and do feck all. If this was the US, I'd be more optimistic.
How are the gun controls coming along?

Teja

What authority does a govt have to force a privately owned company to engage / not engage in certain contracts? Just because you stick "football club" at the end of it doesn't mean you get forced to do things differently from other private companies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
How are the gun controls coming along?
What the feck are you on about? I've never been to the US but my point is that politicians in the UK will use this for a good look and won't do anything about it. In the US, if there was this much outrage, they'd just do it and won't care.

This is the reality. You might not like it but they've been doing reviews for a new runway for Heathrow for 20 years with no decision taken.

Acole9

Outstanding
They're just trying to win votes, they won't actually do anything.

Red_Aaron

Soundbites like this probably make me more angry than any of the other news of late.

I remember years and years ago when I saw my club fall victim to a leveraged buyout and the government did nothing about. There was barely a whisper of discontent nevermind any actual action.

A 100yr+ old British institution was allowed to fall into the hands of foreign ownership with little to no interest in the community, it's fans nor even the fckin sport itself. They stood by and watched.

One of the countries most successful and globally recognisable icons was offered absolutely zero protection from the government when these parasites spotted an opportunity to force the club to buy itself and gift wrap its entire existence into the hands of these leeches.

It's all too fckin late now. They peddle their rhetoric to win likes and retweets but its all meaningless waffle.

Football should be this countries greatest export. Our league is a fantastic product which generates enough global interest to support huge numbers of jobs as well as promoting fitness, health, skill, community, fandom, competition - and many many more. Instead it's a Piggy Bank for opportunists bent on exploiting the history and tradition we've all spent over a century creating

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Would be nice for this government to do external reviews for some other things...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I trust the government - and in particularly dunderhead Dowden - about as much as I trust Ed Woodward

Crimson King

Anything from the government is just hot air.

I bet that inside they're secretly thrilled something as huge as this has happened to distract everyone from their own sleaze scandals that were piling up.

They'll jump on this purely to rinse the distraction and political points. Bojo is already using shitty soundbites like showing the ESL a 'straight red'.

The UK government would have sold off British football clubs years ago if they were theirs to sell.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
A review takes years so...