UK Policing

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The Met have a registered sex offender as a Superintendent. They desperately want to sack said Super but are unable to.

Vetting really isn't good enough at moment. I am aware of in one force of at least onen ew starter closely related to a high ranking OCG member, whom upon being transferred away from an area where he may have been of use to said OCG, simply just quit. No idea how it wasn't picked up by vetting in the first place

TheReligion

Abusive
Scathing report condemns UK police for ‘victim blaming’ in rape cases

Examination exposes failure to track repeat suspects and botched investigations by struggling forces

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ondemns-uk-police-for-victim-blaming-in-cases
Interesting although the real crux of the matter is within the article;

The long-awaited independent report into the first year of Operation Soteria Bluestone – launched by the government after a catastrophic fall in rape prosecutions – also paints a picture of a over-worked, traumatised and inexperienced police workforce in England and Wales, which is struggling to cope with an increase in rape reports after years of austerity.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Interesting although the real crux of the matter is within the article;

The long-awaited independent report into the first year of Operation Soteria Bluestone – launched by the government after a catastrophic fall in rape prosecutions – also paints a picture of a over-worked, traumatised and inexperienced police workforce in England and Wales, which is struggling to cope with an increase in rape reports after years of austerity.
Yeah the police are definitely the victims here. Good point well made.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah the police are definitely the victims here. Good point well made.
Bit of a daft comment Pex. Even for you.

I think everyone wants a better Police service but I guess ignoring part of the issues within it is okay and not in the spirit of this echo chamber.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Bit of a daft comment Pex. Even for you.

I think everyone wants a better Police service but I guess ignoring part of the issues within it is okay and not in the spirit of this echo chamber.
I mean it’s a scathing report into how the police are failing rape victims and you’ve literally picked out a line which paints the police as the victims.

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean it’s a scathing report into how the police are failing rape victims and you’ve literally picked out a line which paints the police as the victims.
Yes because that’s what you want to take from that and me as an individual.

Do one.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yes because that’s what you want to take from that and me as an individual.

Do one.
That is literally what you did though. Even saying the bit about police being overworked is “the real crux of the matter”.

Rather than, you know, the rape victims who the police are blaming for being victims.

TheReligion

Abusive
That is literally what you did though. Even saying the bit about police being overworked is “the real crux of the matter”.

Rather than, you know, the rape victims who the police are blaming for being victims.
Again it’s not. I’m literally showing what the independent report recommended was one of the reasons why this culture has developed.

I guess it suits better not to explore that though.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Again it’s not. I’m literally showing what the independent report recommended was one of the reasons why this culture has developed.

I guess it suits better not to explore that though.
Let’s be clear, there’s unquestionably issues with resourcing and funding in the police, but the issues we see day in day out are not excused or explained solely by that issue. There’s deep-seated problems with racism and sexism in our police forces that we see evidence of on a regular basis and “but we’re overworked” doesn’t (or shouldn’t) distract from that.

Unless you honestly expect us to believe that better funding and higher pay would make these people suddenly stop their “explicit victim-blaming”?

Because there’s a significant gap in logic between some of the potential problems with failing to track repeat suspects or poor investigation and just flat out victim blaming and failing to be human beings.

I know your natural reaction in this thread is defend the police because you’re a copper, but you need to take a step back sometimes and try to look at these reports objectively.

The problems are way bigger than funding.

TheReligion

Abusive
Let’s be clear, there’s unquestionably issues with resourcing and funding in the police, but the issues we see day in day out are not excused or explained solely by that issue. There’s deep-seated problems with racism and sexism in our police forces that we see evidence of on a regular basis and “but we’re overworked” doesn’t (or shouldn’t) distract from that.

Unless you honestly expect us to believe that better funding and higher pay would make these people suddenly stop their “explicit victim-blaming”?

Because there’s a significant gap in logic between some of the potential problems with failing to track repeat suspects or poor investigation and just flat out victim blaming and failing to be human beings.

I know your natural reaction in this thread is defend the police because you’re a copper, but you need to take a step back sometimes and try to look at these reports objectively.

The problems are way bigger than funding.
It’s not simply being overworked is it though.

The de-funding of the police service since Cameron and austerity has had a wider reaching impact than that and a continued knock on effect on things like the quality of recruitment, morale, corruption etc.

If you don’t see the link between these things that’s because you don’t want to. It’s really that simple.

I’ve not once said it’s the only problem, clearly that’s not the case as the Met continue to show us, but if people want to have a genuine discussion about making improvements without being disingenuous and point scoring to suit personal biases, then these aspects need to be recognised and acknowledged.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
The Met has apologised after it emerged he had come to the attention of police over nine incidents, including rape allegations, between 2000 and 2021.
No words.

Sara125

Mentions in the article that the police were made aware of him several times.

Oops sorry, let me get to the real crux of the matter…the MET were probably too over-worked, traumatised and inexperienced to adequately deal with the cretin :rolleyes:

Sara125

Imagine being accused once every 18 months or so of r**e and SA like clock work by different women, and your bosses just shrug and no one thinks to investigate. Probably had him saved in their phones as "Rap*y David".
Taken from a sky news article about the situation:

PC David Carrick - who was known to his colleagues as "B*****d Dave" - entered guilty pleas when he appeared at London's Southwark Crown Court on Monday. He served with the Met Police's parliamentary and diplomatic command.

Sweet Square

Imagine being accused once every 18 months or so of r**e and SA like clock work by different women, and your bosses just shrug and no one thinks to investigate. Probably had him saved in their phones as "Rap*y David".
Wouldn’t be surprising considering this
Two Metropolitan police officers who “dehumanised” two black murder victims “for their own amusement” by taking and sharing photos from the scene where they lay murdered have each been jailed for two years and nine months.

https://theguardian.com/uk-news/202...affer-jamie-lewis-nicole-smallman-bibaa-henry

Jeffthered

This is scandolous, and the administrative shambles that enabled this is the worrying thing. Can we trust the Met Police has the systems and culture in place to protect us?

How can we even be asking that question?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
you don’t have to be sexist or racist to work in the police force but i’ve heard on your interview they’ll plant a black woman from hr on the reception desk and if you don’t give her a load of shite you never get called back for the second round.

Sweet Square

Phew, for a moment I thought the nickname was ironic and he was known to be the sort of well balanced individual you hope a policeman is.
Amazing how straight faced they are about it. The next question we need to ask The Met is the nicknames for every office. Well thats Bastard Dave because he's a cruel bastard, over here is PC Steve Doglover Smith because he fecks the police dogs and on patrol currently is PC Calum Taser black kids for no reason Thomson......

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Amazing how straight faced they are about it. The next question we need to ask The Met is the nicknames for every office. Well thats Bastard Dave because he's a cruel bastard, over here is PC Steve Doglover Smith because he fecks the police dogs and on patrol currently is PC Calum Taser black kids for no reason Thomson......
"we call him Stella cause he's a wife beater *chuckles* but he's a good lad"

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
To be fair to Calum he does the paperwork on time every time and we all know what a chore that is

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
And he gets to see out his days on a protected wing. In essence, the only thing being taken from him is his freedom.

TheReligion

Abusive
Supposedly he was in the same unit as Wayne Couzens.
Yeah I saw this.

I don’t know what to say about the Met anymore. Time after time after time. The more you read about it the more questions need to be asked about the leadership in the force over the past decade.

The new Commissioner is going to have to totally transform things from top to bottom if he intends to restore public confidence. It literally must be hanging by a thread.

It's almost less of an issue that they keep letting these people in, the Met is such a big organisation some bad apples are bound to slip through, but that these people keep getting promoted to positions of real responsibility. I'd half understand if these people managed to keep on the right side of disciplinary action and never made it past the bottom rung, but both him and Couzens were firearms officers. Surely there is some kind of vetting to get that job.

Sweet Square

It's almost less of an issue that they keep letting these people in, the Met is such a big organisation some bad apples are bound to slip through,
"Say if there are 10,000 officers in the MET and five percent are rapists. That's still only 500."

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's almost less of an issue that they keep letting these people in, the Met is such a big organisation some bad apples are bound to slip through, but that these people keep getting promoted to positions of real responsibility. I'd half understand if these people managed to keep on the right side of disciplinary action and never made it past the bottom rung, but both him and Couzens were firearms officers. Surely there is some kind of vetting to get that job.
I wouldn't call this case a bad apple slipping through. Allegations spread over 20 years. That's downright negligence.

gormless

It feels like a moving the problem type of thing. I’d assume the parliamentary and diplomatic protection group has a lot less public interaction than a regular officer

Sara125

A ‘bad apple’ didn’t slip through. The MET turned a blind eye to 9 allegations. He was vetted at least three times and passed, even being promoted to another department…all of this after he had several allegations.