UK Policing

TheReligion

Abusive
it would've been a good story if they actually interviewed the kid and explained his story, said why he was on the street, what are his options to get off the street, how the police is helping him with that

but good that the homeless kid has a golf putting set now, that's reassuring
That's the BBC for you isn't it.

Dispose of the license fee I say.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
it would've been a good story if they actually interviewed the kid and explained his story, said why he was on the street, what are his options to get off the street, how the police is helping him with that
To be fair, there's a lot of reasons why that may not have been possible.

Tarrou

Wait, so it didn't happen and the Beeb are lying?!
I'm not sure what made you think that

point is, the story is published to make the police look good

not to draw attention to a huge problem in society or what can be done about it.. nor what other kids can do if they find themselves in a similar situation

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not sure what made you think that

point is, the story is published to make the police look good

not to draw attention to a huge problem in society or what can be done about it.. nor what other kids can do if they find themselves in a similar situation
I thought it was quite a nice story to be honest. It's a shame that's about all you take from it!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
it's just a PR piece to make the cops look good at Christmas so I doubt they even asked
So what?

Press is always littered with stories like that at this time of year.

I'm mean I'm the biggest cynic in the world but what's the harm in stories about people doing something nice?

What do you think of this one, as a matter of interest?
Shrewsbury boy spends Christmas Eve buying sleeping bags for homeless people

Good on the lad, doing something nice for those less fortunate, maybe he'll inspire others to do similar?

Or

Attention seeking little narcisst just wanting to get his name in the paper?

Tarrou

So what?

Press is always littered with stories like that at this time of year.

I'm mean I'm the biggest cynic in the world but what's the harm in stories about people doing something nice?

What do you think of this one, as a matter of interest?
Shrewsbury boy spends Christmas Eve buying sleeping bags for homeless people

Good on the lad, doing something nice for those less fortunate, maybe he'll inspire others to do similar?

Or

Attention seeking little narcisst just wanting to get his name in the paper?
yeah I agree not much harm in it

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
British Transport Police apologise to UK black community for corrupt ex-officer

Stephen Port victim inquests hear of Met ‘institutional homophobia’
Just finished watching the drama on BBC about the murders by Port and didn't realise how much the police fecked up. Vile.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I’d say it’s about an average week for them.

Jesus, it does feel relentless. Given they have 43k staff, the number of wrong uns might well not be any higher than any other comparably sized employer, but they should rightly be held to higher standards.

Ludens the Red

Jesus, it does feel relentless. Given they have 43k staff, the number of wrong uns might well not be any higher than any other comparably sized employer, but they should rightly be held to higher standards.
I’d expect it to be higher. It’s a position of power which means wrong uns will join because it gives them that pathway to abuse said power. Same reason schools and any industry involving children is littered with sex offenders.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The idea that none of the adults involved saw how obviously wrong that was is insane to me.

Jericholyte2

When’s the revolution, cause we need to burn all of this fecking shit to the ground!

Sara125

Sickening stuff. I read the case review. Can’t imagine how traumatising it must be for her :(

Drainy

Christ.

That is horrendous.

There was a government white paper in how institutions in the UK don't give a shit about BAME mental health and they accepted the findings but didn't do anything to change things.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
They will get a pat on the back by their superiors.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Horrendous from the police and not much better from the school. This isn't an apologising matter, it's a sacking matter.

Did words like sense of proportion, dignity, safeguarding, respect just vanish because she was at their mercy.

FireballXL5

Horrendous from the police and not much better from the school. This isn't an apologising matter, it's a sacking matter.

Did words like sense of proportion, dignity, safeguarding, respect just vanish because she was at their mercy.
No, it was because she was black.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I've just had a brief read of the case, I couldn't stomach all of it.
That's so fecking disgusting, dehumanising, sickening. There's no words - and i'm glad it was mentioned that her experiences were different because of her skin colour.

It makes me so incredibly angry, everyone involved - teachers included - need to be investigated, it's fecking sexual assault of a minor.
This also took place in 2020, and both the Met and the Government had the cheek to claim that there isn't an institutional racism problem.

Ludens the Red

One of those reads where you can’t actually fathom how it got to that. The stupidity and lack of morals from teachers and police is staggering.
Like at no point did one of these adults not stop and go “maybe that’s not okay to do for ‘smelling cannabis’.
I mean who are these idiotic teachers calling police because a student ‘smelt of cannabis’ to start with. Deal with it yourselves….you’re adults.
And then who are the idiotic police officers turning up who thought a strip search was appropriate in this situation, let alone one that was just completely illegal. So you don’t the law, you’re a daft cnut and you lack empathy.

I just don’t get how it got through all these channels of “adults” though and that they managed to still think putting the student through that was ok. It would have been female teachers and female officers involved too so again it’s mad that there wasn’t even that degree of empathy and the thought that maybe that’s degrading.

mikey_d

Genuinely one of the worst things I’ve read in this country and I can’t believe No one at the school said anything!

NotThatSoph

My dad is a teacher. I remember one day he came home from work, furious. Two cops had shown up at the school, rather forcefully trying to question one of his students over suspected drug use or some similar small matter, I can't remember. He had to scream in their faces to get them to leave.

I can't imagine how he'd react to this story. The teachers couldn't have betrayed their duty more if they tried.