UK Rail Strikes

choccy77

I don’t want to be rude but genuinely wtf does this even mean ?

If a union is going on strike then of course it’s going to be about themselves, it’s literally impossible for it not to be.
What I'm saying is, historically, the unions have always been about their wellbeing, more so than the members they represent.

The unions (what is left of them) always got their money from its members, at times its beneficial sure, but ultimately, they are a business in it to ensure they are making money.

Also, there have been a lot of recent cases of bad practices and corruption within some of these unions, again not in the best interest of the members, just the people running the unions.

Also, my other point, in line with much of Europe, is don't punish the public, pinish the government / companies, by giving free transport etc It would ultimately make the public more sympathetic to their cause, instead of being disrupted, especially when they are not receiving these high wages or pay rises that the rail members already benefit from.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's funny isn't it, spend 12 years savaging public sector wages and the transport network, lots of people both stop using the railways and start to sympathise with people who haven't had even a normal year's inflationary pay rise offered to them in a year where the cost of living has gone through the roof...

These fecking people governing us ought to be in an asylum rather than in government.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What I'm saying is, historically, the unions have always been about their wellbeing, more so than the members they represent.

The unions (what is left of them) always got their money from its members, at times its beneficial sure, but ultimately, they are a business in it to ensure they are making money.

Also, there have been a lot of recent cases of bad practices and corruption within some of these unions, again not in the best interest of the members, just the people running the unions.

Also, my other point, in line with much of Europe, is don't punish the public, pinish the government / companies, by giving free transport etc It would ultimately make the public more sympathetic to their cause, instead of being disrupted, especially when they are not receiving these high wages or pay rises that the rail members already benefit from.
Pretty sure the government (possibly John Major's?) made this illegal years ago so that muppets would think the unions were their enemies instead of the government and private rail operators.

Sweet Square

So the public supports Labour's strikes?
Currently it seems so. If there was more strikes then who knows.

It's funny isn't it, spend 12 years savaging public sector wages and the transport network, lots of people both stop using the railways and start to sympathise with people who haven't had even a normal year's inflationary pay rise offered to them in a year where the cost of living has gone through the roof...

These fecking people governing us ought to be in an asylum rather than in government.
This government is backed up by a generational divide. Basically the over 50’s are reactionaries who are glad Thatcher won against the miners, with tories providing them with high house prices. Everyone younger has been fecked in a number of ways for over a decade now.

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’m pretty sure they can’t, as many of the people striking don’t work directly in “revenue collection” and thus getting everyone that does to “free strike” in solidarity would fall under “secondary action” (or at the very least the government would insist that it did) which is banned in the UK … unsurprisingly by the Tories under Thatcher and Major

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solidarity_action

Last edited:

manc exile

Supports
City

that would be illegal and passengers would be uninsured whereas striking is legal.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Currently it seems so. If there was more strikes then who knows.

This government is backed up by a generational divide. Basically the over 50’s are reactionaries who are glad Thatcher won against the miners, with tories providing them with high house prices. Everyone younger has been fecked in a number of ways for over a decade now.
Yet another crude generalisation.
I am one of your so called over 50's. And I definitely don't think like that.
And high house prices mean nothing when you are living in your house.
In fact they end up resulting those who inherit a house often having to pay 40% inheritance tax. Not to mention massively overpriced Probate Fees.

He's just doubling down tbh because he said network rail don't use agency staff which are safety critical. They do.
They don't. Not in the operation of the railway anyway.

But anyway, it's your job so any further arguing the point makes it personal which I'm not going to do.

phelans shorts

On a side note here but why should train drivers earn more? They're already on a wage north of 50k which is considerably more than nurses or police. Their wage is actually scandalous considering the job they actually do. Or am I missing some important information here?
So nurses and police should be paid more is all you’re telling me.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
You are ignoring the many millions who voted Labour and Liberal throughout the Thatcher years, and those who eventually saw sense and made her position untenable at the end.

Basically I've suffered twice, once by having to live through the evil of her years of insane class warfare and then again having to listen to you blame everyone unlucky enough to go through it.

You are right in one way, the under 30s have not been treated fairly since the banking crisis, what is needed of course is increasing the tax on assets rather than income to help address the problem, but pissing off half of potential voters is a pretty dumb way of trying to get there.

Sweet Square

Yet another crude generalisation.
I am one of your so called over 50's. And I definitely don't think like that.
And high house prices mean nothing when you are living in your house.
In fact they end up resulting those who inherit a house often having to pay 40% inheritance tax. Not to mention massively overpriced Probate Fees.
It's not even that crude of a generalisation, its just looking at polls and voting patterns. For a number of reasons(Media consumption, home ownership, wealth, retirement, etc)older people vote overwhelmingly more conservative than ''younger people''(People under 50). Of course it can't be applied in every individual case as there will be people like yourself and Mick Lynch but overall it's true.

Fully Fledged

It's not even that crude of a generalisation, its just looking at polls and voting patterns. For a number of reasons(Media consumption, home ownership, wealth, retirement, etc)older people vote overwhelmingly more conservative than ''younger people''(People under 50). Of course it can't be applied in every individual case as there will be people like yourself and Mick Lynch but overall it's true.
That is the part that makes it not a generalisation.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
They don't. Not in the operation of the railway anyway.

But anyway, it's your job so any further arguing the point makes it personal which I'm not going to do.
You have no clue obviously. What you meant to say was that agency work aren't used for signalling, or mobile ops manager roles. But you made a hash of it saying they aren't used for safety critical work when they are. What is your background btw? I suspect you might be involved in the railway?

Last edited:

finneh

Do you think there isn't a negotiation to be had? I know the rmt have asked for 11% but do you not think that this is a negotiation tactic? Start high cause they know they'll be pushed down.
I'm sure that's their process, yes. My overriding point was about the value of the profession. As it stands they're asking for an arbitrary number using cost of living as a weapon in negotiations. For example I can't recall them asking for a pay decrease when they worked less hours and inflation was negative.
The “free market” is a sham entirely designed to exploit workers for the benefit of those at the top.
Seems to work fantastically for our staff who state what they've been offered elsewhere and say we either need to beat it or they're off. When demand is high and supply is low (such as over the last 18 months) you need to give inflation busting increases every few months. Between Sept 2020 and now we've given factory workers 20% increases, most whilst inflation was 0.

I fully understand that question and it would be stupid of me to say that it would not have any effect.
However, it would also be stupid to say that workers should not try and get the best wage they possibly can.
And remember.
This huge increase in the cost of living has nothing to do with wage increases.
I have no issue with workers receiving a market rate for their work. However they don't need unions for that, it happens automatically. If trains weren't able to run as there were 10,000 vacancies due to poor pay and poor conditions, the train operators would have no choice but to increase the salary and ensure better conditions to fill the positions. They aren't asking for equitable pay though, they're stating that they will breach their contract of employment en masse if they don't get more than this. It would be like me refusing to fulfil my end of the contract that I sign with them by not paying them as a salary negotiating tactic. Breaching a contract either way should be grounds for repudiation.
Dear god what are you on about?

Paying people a fair wage is bad because it means competition?
What determines a fair wage? A fair wage would be you earning the same as another person who could do your job as proficiently as you. If a job is oversubscribed by a factor of 2, 3 or 10 to 1 by those equally proficient then you know it's not a fair wage, it's an overinflated one. The net result being that you're depriving someone else of a job that would be theirs at a lower pay and forcing consumers to foot the bill. If you want a fair wage you don't need a union as you would have no concerns that someone else could do a more productive job.
Funny how the free market rarely seems to work like this for the top jobs... or are we just going to pretend only a special select few are capable of doing them.
It absolutely does. We've just employed a sales director on over £150k per annum and our judgment is he'll be comfortably worth that salary. It was the lowest salary we could have got someone of his capability. The next best choice was either much more expensive and similarly effective or was cheaper but much less effective.

Likewise shareholders don't pay CEO's seven figures out of the goodness of their hearts. They would much prefer to save the cost and take it out in dividends. However their judgment is that the seven figure investment will provide a greater return.
Rolls-Royce understand the need to maintain the wages of their workers.
And I am sure other companies will be doing the same thing. Higher wages does not always mean higher inflation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61874786
No, Rolls-Royce understands they need to retain staff and believes £2k and a 4% increase is a fair offer to do so. You're correct other companies are doing the same as mine is one of them with 20% increases to staff earning less than £30k over the last 18 months. Whilst I'd love to say it was out of the goodness of our hearts; it was simply because without those salary increases (with many EU staff leaving the UK) we'd have lost staff to other companies. Our competitors have all had to increase wages to shop floor staff likewise.

Note also a factor is almost certainly that Rolls-Royce sacked 8,500 workers last year and now know that in a busier environment (higher demand for product and lower supply of staff) they need to pay more to retain the staff they have left.

The Purley King

I'm sure that's their process, yes. My overriding point was about the value of the profession. As it stands they're asking for an arbitrary number using cost of living as a weapon in negotiations. For example I can't recall them asking for a pay decrease when they worked less hours and inflation was negative.

Seems to work fantastically for our staff who state what they've been offered elsewhere and say we either need to beat it or they're off. When demand is high and supply is low (such as over the last 18 months) you need to give inflation busting increases every few months. Between Sept 2020 and now we've given factory workers 20% increases, most whilst inflation was 0.

I have no issue with workers receiving a market rate for their work. However they don't need unions for that, it happens automatically. If trains weren't able to run as there were 10,000 vacancies due to poor pay and poor conditions, the train operators would have no choice but to increase the salary and ensure better conditions to fill the positions. They aren't asking for equitable pay though, they're stating that they will breach their contract of employment en masse if they don't get more than this. It would be like me refusing to fulfil my end of the contract that I sign with them by not paying them as a salary negotiating tactic. Breaching a contract either way should be grounds for repudiation.
What determines a fair wage? A fair wage would be you earning the same as another person who could do your job as proficiently as you. If a job is oversubscribed by a factor of 2, 3 or 10 to 1 by those equally proficient then you know it's not a fair wage, it's an overinflated one. The net result being that you're depriving someone else of a job that would be theirs at a lower pay and forcing consumers to foot the bill. If you want a fair wage you don't need a union as you would have no concerns that someone else could do a more productive job.

It absolutely does. We've just employed a sales director on over £150k per annum and our judgment is he'll be comfortably worth that salary. It was the lowest salary we could have got someone of his capability. The next best choice was either much more expensive and similarly effective or was cheaper but much less effective.

Likewise shareholders don't pay CEO's seven figures out of the goodness of their hearts. They would much prefer to save the cost and take it out in dividends. However their judgment is that the seven figure investment will provide a greater return.

No, Rolls-Royce understands they need to retain staff and believes £2k and a 4% increase is a fair offer to do so. You're correct other companies are doing the same as mine is one of them with 20% increases to staff earning less than £30k over the last 18 months. Whilst I'd love to say it was out of the goodness of our hearts; it was simply because without those salary increases (with many EU staff leaving the UK) we'd have lost staff to other companies. Our competitors have all had to increase wages to shop floor staff likewise.

Note also a factor is almost certainly that Rolls-Royce sacked 8,500 workers last year and now know that in a busier environment (higher demand for product and lower supply of staff) they need to pay more to retain the staff they have left.
Well said.
Id argue 95%+ of people in non public sector jobs have had pay rises of markedly less than inflation or no pay rise at all in the past 3 years as well. The market determines the going rate.

Now an 11% rise is demanded. That is not realistic by anyones standard and a long and protracted shafting of generally lower paid workers who need trains to be in a particular place to complete their work will take place.

Because these people work on the railway they should be treated differently to everyone else in the uk?

Cloudface

Of course they should be paid more but my main point is train drivers are earning a wage way, way, way above their station and in comparison to other jobs its disgusting.
What is your problem with train drivers? It's a skilled job with a lot of responsibility. Besides, this strike isn't about drivers salaries so I don't know why you are banging on about it.

phelans shorts

Of course they should be paid more but my main point is train drivers are earning a wage way, way, way above their station and in comparison to other jobs its disgusting.
Nope. Just they should be paid more. That’s all.

Why are you attacking one very important work force to make a stupid point? Why are medical professionals portrayed as the new Shipman when they strike?

It’s typical divide and conquer tactics and it’s utter bullshit. As NHS staff I say good on the rail staff.

finneh

Less hours?
My assumption is that during Covid less hours were worked due to empty trains. If that's incorrect then I withdraw
Well said.
Id argue 95%+ of people in non public sector jobs have had pay rises of markedly less than inflation or no pay rise at all in the past 3 years as well. The market determines the going rate.

Now an 11% rise is demanded. That is not realistic by anyones standard and a long and protracted shafting of generally lower paid workers who need trains to be in a particular place to complete their work will take place.

Because these people work on the railway they should be treated differently to everyone else in the uk?
I also don't really understand it when people say employers are "driving down wages". As if there's some magical ploy by which we can force people to work for less than they can get elsewhere without their agreement.

The only thing that drives down wages is an increased supply of workers that can do the job without a similar increase in demand.

It's an insult to the members also that the unions think so little of them that they believe the only way they could get better wages is outside of the free market system via militant strike action. If I were a train driver on £59k and believed I was underpaid or worked in too poor conditions or worked too many unsocial hours, I'd look for a better paying job with better conditions and better hours. The problem for train drivers is that job simply doesn't exist, apart from possibly becoming a union boss.

I’d argue the graph that user posted is fairly conclusive tbh.
It seems like they should all resign and join the private sector then. I wonder why they haven't?

Unless of course it's because they're still paid more and the gap has merely closed a bit over the last 12 years. Or possibly this doesn't include much better pensions, or the ability to work flexibly, or full sick/maternity pay. Or all of this and more.

One thing for certain is if there were a better gig elsewhere it would be the rail bosses announcing double digit salary increases to try and entice all the workers who'd left back.

Last edited:

The Purley King

My assumption is that during Covid less hours were worked due to empty trains. If that's incorrect then I withdraw

I also don't really understand it when people say employers are "driving down wages". As if there's some magical ploy by which we can force people to work for less than they can get elsewhere without their agreement.

The only thing that drives down wages is an increased supply of workers that can do the job without a similar increase in demand.

It's an insult to the members also that the unions think so little of them that they believe the only way they could get better wages is outside of the free market system via militant strike action. If I were a train driver on £59k and believed I was underpaid or worked in too poor conditions or worked too many unsocial hours, I'd look for a better paying job with better conditions and better hours. The problem for train drivers is that job simply doesn't exist, apart from possibly becoming a union boss.
If you are someone who works in an engineering/safety capacity on the railways then I presume you must have skills that are transferable to another role in a slightly different industry. If conditions/pay are so poor in your current role then you can move. Happens all the time in the private world.
I manage a large online operational team in various locations across Europe and if we are struggling to hire in some places or we find attrition rates are too high in some places (I.e. lots of people moving to similar better paid roles in other companies) then we adjust things accordingly.
Things change all the time and it’s the market conditions that guide our approach.
Why should it be different for people that work for the railway?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Yes incorrect. We worked full time all through covid

Charlie Foley

feck Kay Burley. A garbage reporter and increasingly came across as a deranged moron in the video. It’s in the eyes. And then her (Twitter team’s) pathetic response to it. What a fool.

Good luck to the strikers.

Superb stuff
Good video

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You believe what polls tell you??

finneh

Yes incorrect. We worked full time all through covid
Out of interest how did that work?

Statistics show that National Rail passenger numbers dropped as low as 4% of normal capacity during Covid and didn't hit more than 50% for well over a year (70% took 18 months).

Are you saying we were still running the exact same amount of services when there was a 96% drop in passengers?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
feck Kay Burley. A garbage reporter and increasingly came across as a deranged moron in the video. It’s in the eyes. And then her (Twitter team’s) pathetic response to it. What a fool.

Good luck to the strikers.

Good video
I saw the equivalent discussion between the RMT Leader and that Tory MP.
Lynch kept cool and calm and did a good job of outlining the RMT demands.
But the Tory MP was an embarrassment, completely loosing his cool. It was actually quite funny to watch.