Unacceptable or Weird Chants

StrettyEnder07

Aside from hearing thousands of people singing about the size of your dick obviously being weird for most people, there's also the fact that there's a history of stereotypes and racist caricatures about the size of black men's penises, in addition to the portrayal of them as hypersexual, which obviously does lead to resentment from certain quarters (I heard an example just the other dus

Now of course you could put your head in the sand and pretend there's another reason that has nothing to do with his race that was the genesis for Lukaku having a "24 inch penis" (literally a racist caricature), but that argument would be disingenuous at best.

Imagine if someone unfurled a banner that had a drawing of Lukaku with a to-scale 24 inch penis, would the obvious racial connection be any more clear then?
Christ all mighty you need to get out more!

I'm not to sure if Giggsy is on Twitter, or if he nailed Imogen up the pooper but there is a song about it.

Did Kagawa granddad bomb pearl harbour, not to sure.

Would a banner be made about the size of his penis, of course not you sensitive flower, it is a fecking song that was made to rhyme.

Is Torres actually a transgender? Not that I am aware off, does he sell his behind on the Albert Dock? Maybe only on a Friday night.

How about you actually worry about the actual racism in football and stop worrying about a fecking tongue and cheek song, honestly nothing short of fecking embarrassing the fact that you spend so much time worrying about this type of shit.

If you are this offended by one sentence in a song, can you imagine if you go on an away day and walk down the wrong street and into a scrap "please please please sir don't harm me its 2019 and I'm a delicate little flower who gets offended by anything"

Honest to god there are more things to worry about than the lyrics to a tongue and cheek song about one of your players.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City

I'm not to sure if Giggsy is on Twitter, or if he nailed Imogen up the pooper but there is a song about it.

Would a banner be made about the size of his penis, of course not you sensitive flower, it is a fecking song that was made to rhyme.

Is Torres actually a transgender? Not that I am aware off, does he sell his behind on the Albert Dock? Maybe only on a Friday night.

How about you actually worry about the actual racism in football and stop worrying about a fecking tongue and cheek song, honestly nothing short of fecking embarrassing the fact that you spend so much time worrying about this type of shit.

If you are this offended by one sentence in a song, can you imagine if you go on an away day and walk down the wrong street and into a scrap "please please please sir don't harm me its 2019 and I'm a delicate little flower who gets offended by anything"

Honest to god there are more things to worry about than the lyrics to a tongue and cheek song about one of your players.
You seem to be far more upset about this than @Dead Wood Woodward is. Who's the snowflake?

SiRed

Surely in this day and age we should all just clap when something good happens, boo when we don't like something and only swear when we are alone working on our cars.
The Park chant was funny, I think it made use of a stereotype but as an Irish man I don't cry everytime someone does a crap accent or says begora. I also don't get offended if people presume I like a drink or potatoes.
I think middle class white people getting offended for Park Ji Sung and a reference to a food that people actually eat in his homeland are another sign that the PC brigade have nothing better to do.
Same cnuts that wrote to RTE and suggested taking the John and Mary scenes out of father Ted or asked the episode with the Chinese in it to be removed.
Same cretins that stop me on the street and ask me to pay their wage as a lazy pleb that gets people to sign up for a charity.
Utterly Useless snowflake generation who love nothing more than getting offended on someone else's behalf.
Great post!

Scotty McT

You're obsessed with flowers, aren't you?

You seem to be far more upset about this than @Dead Wood Woodward is. Who's the snowflake?
Exactly. I don't want to argue against him for the sake of his own health. The blood pressure reading must be off the scale right now.

Church o Choccy

Utterly Useless snowflake generation who love nothing more than getting offended on someone else's behalf.
I mean, on the one hand we really should stop trying to use these awful generational broad brush strokes where we attempt to generalise about everyone in a certain age bracket as somehow sharing a set of character traits. It's not helpful and it only reveals our own ignorance and prejudice.

But also I kind of can't wait til all the boomers die with their wealth stealing and racism and fecking the planet over for everyone else. So, y'know.

StrettyEnder07

You're obsessed with flowers, aren't you?

Exactly. I don't want to argue against him for the sake of his own health. The blood pressure reading must be off the scale right now.
Can't help it when there are an awful lot on here getting offended, blood pressure is fine lad don't be worrying, or getting offended, or being discriminated against, or whatever else upsets you princess

Siorac

Anyone who uses the term 'snowflake' unironically is someone I can't take seriously, unless we're talking about literal snow.

Blatzo

Just thought I'd add my own - politically correct and grammatically accurate Harry Maguire chant to the thread so we can all sip tea and nod approvingly at it:

Harry Maguire, our defense is fortified (with)
Harry Maguire... OOOF

nah nahnahnah nah nanah nah nahnah nah nah

SiRed

In my opinion, its all banter. And how people deal with banter is what makes something offensive.
Football has always appealed more towards the working class. The game has been played mainly over the years by people that when they were kids - their families couldnt afford to go to go Snowboarding, Rock climbing, Croquet, Dressage or what have you.
What they could afford was a football, that would keep a group of any number of kids entertained for hours and hours and hours.
The type of kids that would laugh when they see someone fall over and carry that through to adult life.
Some went on to play professional football, others ended up driving a van but what they all shared was the love of the camaraderie brought on by kicking a bit of leather around. They can deal with banter - they know theres nothing in it and they know that in 5 minutes it will be their turn to banter someone else.
I used to get called pizza face in school. I was insecure about my spots but you learn to laugh it off and return the compliments by ripping 'Smiffy' about his Mam and the 6 ''uncles'' he has had in a month.

People find things funny - and there is nothing funnier than a football chant that is close to the bone - Obviously there are lines that MOST adhere to not cross - mocking the dead etc but if its calling Lukaku 'big s1ck', Torres a ******, Rooney Shrek, that doesn't make someone racist or homophobic. It means its funny, tongue in cheek, roots of the game, a game that is built on that very humour.

If people are offended by a chant - why not sod off and watch Snooker or badminton or some other ''upper class' left wing nonsense.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
the bit that stereotypes a nation of people, probably
No idea why I heard it. Possibly misremembering but I think it might have been from one of the Freakonomics guys.

Paraphrasing of it was;

“South Koreans find it odd that there’s western criticism of eating a specific animal, at the same time that the West packs their old people off to anonymous care homes to die”

The point being that they see we commit ‘crimes’ against our elderly relatives by putting them in care homes, rather than inviting them into family homes as they age and ultimately pass. But get weird about eating one kind of animal vs another.

You can dislike the Park chant, but it’s not offensive to South Koreans. It’s virtue signalling to assume it is. I’ve met plenty of South Koreans. Nobody gives a shit that in some areas, dogs are food.

People are either really fecking soft, or extremely sheltered and haven’t travelled much if they find the song truly offensive.

It’s comparable to Welsh/NZ sheep jokes. Or Essex girl jokes. Or Aussie prisoner jokes. Crass and low brow, but not really offensive.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
In my opinion, its all banter. And how people deal with banter is what makes something offensive.
Football has always appealed more towards the working class. The game has been played mainly over the years by people that when they were kids - their families couldnt afford to go to go Snowboarding, Rock climbing, Croquet, Dressage or what have you.
What they could afford was a football, that would keep a group of any number of kids entertained for hours and hours and hours.
The type of kids that would laugh when they see someone fall over and carry that through to adult life.
Some went on to play professional football, others ended up driving a van but what they all shared was the love of the camaraderie brought on by kicking a bit of leather around. They can deal with banter - they know theres nothing in it and they know that in 5 minutes it will be their turn to banter someone else.
I used to get called pizza face in school. I was insecure about my spots but you learn to laugh it off and return the compliments by ripping 'Smiffy' about his Mam and the 6 ''uncles'' he has had in a month.

People find things funny - and there is nothing funnier than a football chant that is close to the bone - Obviously there are lines that MOST adhere to not cross - mocking the dead etc but if its calling Lukaku 'big s1ck', Torres a ******, Rooney Shrek, that doesn't make someone racist or homophobic. It means its funny, tongue in cheek, roots of the game, a game that is built on that very humour.

If people are offended by a chant - why not sod off and watch Snooker or badminton or some other ''upper class' left wing nonsense.
Upper class, left wing?:lol:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
No idea why I heard it. Possibly misremembering but I think it might have been from one of the Freakonomics guys.

Paraphrasing of it was;

“South Koreans find it odd that there’s western criticism of eating a specific animal, at the same time that the West packs their old people off to anonymous care homes to die”

The point being that they see we commit ‘crimes’ against our elderly relatives by putting them in care homes, rather than inviting them into family homes as they age and ultimately pass. But get weird about eating one kind of animal vs another.

You can dislike the Park chant, but it’s not offensive to South Koreans. It’s virtue signalling to assume it is. I’ve met plenty of South Koreans. Nobody gives a shit that in some areas, dogs are food.

People are either really fecking soft, or extremely sheltered and haven’t travelled much if they find the song truly offensive.

It’s comparable to Welsh/NZ sheep jokes. Or Essex girl jokes. Or Aussie prisoner jokes. Crass and low brow, but not really offensive.
Wayne, Wayne
Wherever you may be
Your culture lacks filial piety
It could be worse
Wait, you ARE Scouse
Stuffing grandmothers in a old folk's house

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
What a thread! Started on page 1, got bored by page 2 but then captivated by the utter rubbish on pages 3, 4 and 5.

My view is that even if something in a football chant is funny in a 'you-know-you-shouldn't-laugh-kind-of-way', it doesn't mean it is or should be acceptable. How would you feel if it was your son or daughter out there on the end of it? Footballers may be rich, they may be detached from our lives but they are still human beings and what could be classed as 'banter' between an individual and friends is something way different when 1000's of people you don't know are shouting it at you in a stadium.

I'm no 'snowflake' as has been put here, I'm 44 and an ex boxer so can put up with a bit of 'banter' but times have changed.

Inigo Montoya

What a thread! Started on page 1, got bored by page 2 but then captivated by the utter rubbish on pages 3, 4 and 5.

My view is that even if something in a football chant is funny in a 'you-know-you-shouldn't-laugh-kind-of-way', it doesn't mean it is or should be acceptable. How would you feel if it was your son or daughter out there on the end of it? Footballers may be rich, they may be detached from our lives but they are still human beings and what could be classed as 'banter' between an individual and friends is something way different when 1000's of people you don't know are shouting it at you in a stadium.

I'm no 'snowflake' as has been put here, I'm 44 and an ex boxer so can put up with a bit of 'banter' but times have changed.
You’re right about times changing but we still have a huge way to go.

I work in education and if the attitudes and language of the next generation is anything to go by then don’t expect large scale progress.

SiRed

I work in education and if the attitudes and language of the next generation is anything to go by then don’t expect large scale progress.
It education that is causing a lot of todays issues with half of the curriculum for KS1 kids being all about training people to accept things and not challenge status quo.
Why can't kids be taught about a subject matter and form their own opinion? I guess the governing bodies see that as detrimental to their own agenda.

Can7onA

Stone Roses - This is the one.

A club consumed by fire
We all know Harry Maguire
From the plans that we have made
We had him on a promise
Immerse me in your splendour
All the plans that we have made
This is the one
This is the one
This is the one
This is the one
This is the one
She's waited for

Volumiza

We do clearly some things are improving. My kids are 15 and 12 and hopefully I've done a decent job of bringing them up but I think the educational system has done one thing perfectly ... at least with my two. Neither have once mentioned skin colour, sexuality or disabilities once. No questions, no judgement, nothing.

It will keep getting better but it won't happen over night, it will keep moving at the pace it does now, generational speed.

Inigo Montoya

It education that is causing a lot of todays issues with half of the curriculum for KS1 kids being all about training people to accept things and not challenge status quo.
Why can't kids be taught about a subject matter and form their own opinion? I guess the governing bodies see that as detrimental to their own agenda.
I couldn’t agree more with the last sentence. However the parents of the worst behaved kids are also the most racist,homophobic and morally bankrupt people out there. Then they wonder why their darlings are caught insulting the likes of Sterling saying ‘ it’s not like him, ees a good lad at art.’

Siorac

Upper class and left wing - that just does not compute.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I dont think it's a matter of whether a chant is offensive or not, because a lot of them are, its more a case if whether we should take them in good humor or not. And I think the vast majority of people who sing them are doing so in good humor, so it's much less of an issue.

It's not like we're talking about chants deliberately targeting someone's race as a way to offend them like the monkey chant that were happening a few years ago, I'm pretty sure most people will agree that's unacceptable.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Upper class and left wing - that just does not compute.
You think people can’t be upper class and left wing?

Perhaps in the truest sense of the word that might be true.

But the idea that upper class folks are not liberal is nuts. (Appreciate that conflating left wing and liberal is my doing, but still...)

Siorac

Tony Blair?
Tony Blair was and probably still is a neoliberal, not really left wing.

I'm sure there are exceptions to what I said but, more to the point, snooker or badminton being "upper class left wing" things is a bewildering idea.

Volumiza

Not that easy, some things need challenging.

Why can't kids be taught about a subject matter and form their own opinion?
Because largely it won't be the kids forming that opinion, it will be their parents and if those opinions harbour racist, homophobic or other dangerous views then your idea will not work.

SiRed

I couldn’t agree more with the last sentence. However the parents of the worst behaved kids are also the most racist,homophobic and morally bankrupt people out there. Then they wonder why their darlings are caught insulting the likes of Sterling saying ‘ it’s not like him, ees a good lad at art.’
This is true. But in my opinion those kids would be the ones that go beyond chanting a tongue in cheek slur and be the ones that get arrested for taking things to the next level.
I would fully expect most normal people to join in with the Ji Sung Park song with 70,000 odd others.

SiRed

Not that easy, some things need challenging.

Because largely it won't be the kids forming that opinion, it will be their parents and if those opinions harbour racist, homophobic or other dangerous views then your idea will not work.
I get that, but i have a 6 year old daughter at home telling me that heaven sounds great and she cannot wait to go there..... Heartbreaking - i have no religious beliefs, quite the opposite but now i have my daughter who is clearly having this belief forced on her, probably as it benefits society if she lives her life to christian values which in turn will strengthen the western world. If i say my opinion to her it will just lead to confusion. Why are they not taught that some people believe this, some believe that, some believe in science. Its up to them if they even want to believe anything.

Brightonian

I reckon the rage from both ends of the spectrum of this thread comes from everyone desperately wanting to think they're a through-and-through virtuous individual.

Personally, I think the Park chant probably is somewhat offensive, if not in any particularly harmful way. But I fecking love it anyway, and I guess that's on me, ultimately. I know I'm no saint. If someone at work started throwing 'you eat dogs' lines at a Korean colleague, I'd happily stand up and say that's not on, because the context certainly comes into these things. United fans worship Park.