Unacceptable or Weird Chants

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I get that, but i have a 6 year old daughter at home telling me that heaven sounds great and she cannot wait to go there..... Heartbreaking - i have no religious beliefs, quite the opposite but now i have my daughter who is clearly having this belief forced on her, probably as it benefits society if she lives her life to christian values which in turn will strengthen the western world. If i say my opinion to her it will just lead to confusion. Why are they not taught that some people believe this, some believe that, some believe in science. Its up to them if they even want to believe anything.
Valid point and a tough one to address but it depends on the context she was taught it. My kids have RE and have been taught about all religions but none exclusively. I have told both of mine I don't follow a religion but it is fine if they want to.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Aside from hearing thousands of people singing about the size of your dick obviously being weird for most people, there's also the fact that there's a history of stereotypes and racist caricatures about the size of black men's penises, in addition to the portrayal of them as hypersexual, which obviously does lead to resentment from certain quarters.

Now of course you could put your head in the sand and pretend there's another reason that has nothing to do with his race that was the genesis for Lukaku having a "24 inch penis" (literally a racist caricature), but that argument would be disingenuous at best.

Imagine if someone unfurled a banner that had a drawing of Lukaku with a to-scale 24 inch penis, would the obvious racial connection be any more clear then?
@StrettyEnder07 thoughts?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
In my opinion, its all banter. And how people deal with banter is what makes something offensive.
Football has always appealed more towards the working class. The game has been played mainly over the years by people that when they were kids - their families couldnt afford to go to go Snowboarding, Rock climbing, Croquet, Dressage or what have you.
What they could afford was a football, that would keep a group of any number of kids entertained for hours and hours and hours.
The type of kids that would laugh when they see someone fall over and carry that through to adult life.
Some went on to play professional football, others ended up driving a van but what they all shared was the love of the camaraderie brought on by kicking a bit of leather around. They can deal with banter - they know theres nothing in it and they know that in 5 minutes it will be their turn to banter someone else.
I used to get called pizza face in school. I was insecure about my spots but you learn to laugh it off and return the compliments by ripping 'Smiffy' about his Mam and the 6 ''uncles'' he has had in a month.

People find things funny - and there is nothing funnier than a football chant that is close to the bone - Obviously there are lines that MOST adhere to not cross - mocking the dead etc but if its calling Lukaku 'big s1ck', Torres a ******, Rooney Shrek, that doesn't make someone racist or homophobic. It means its funny, tongue in cheek, roots of the game, a game that is built on that very humour.

If people are offended by a chant - why not sod off and watch Snooker or badminton or some other ''upper class' left wing nonsense.
Sounds like my childhood, let's have a pint.

Full bodied red

fps

Just thought I'd add my own - politically correct and grammatically accurate Harry Maguire chant to the thread so we can all sip tea and nod approvingly at it:

Harry Maguire, our defense is fortified (with)
Harry Maguire... OOOF

nah nahnahnah nah nanah nah nahnah nah nah
Haaahahahaha excellent!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The Labour Party's always been full of them.

https://www.tatler.com/article/hons...ed-the-party-with-their-ideas-and-romanticism

And I'll add two from my era...

Anthony Wedgewood-Benn
Roy Jenkins

And let's not firget one of the poshest of them all, so step forward, please, Emily ' Miss Piggy ' Thornberry
Gave up his title though, sent his kids to a normal comprehensive when there was a grammar down the road( That I went to). Styaed true to his principles.

Jenkins was a turncoat.

How's Thornberry posh? Went to a bog standard secondary modern and went to the University of Kent!!!

She got her kids into Dame Alice Owen's but fecking hell, I know a whole bunch of parents working their socks off to get their kids into selective schools

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Just thought I'd add my own - politically correct and grammatically accurate Harry Maguire chant to the thread so we can all sip tea and nod approvingly at it:

Harry Maguire... OOOF

Love it. :lol:

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Ipswich Town Vs Norwich, local Derby I went for the atmosphere as I was studying there, the Norwich keepers daughter had cancer and not sure if she had died or what but the town fans were chanting shit that the guy broke down in tears and was subbed after 25 mins. I left at half time as it made me nearly throw up as I hadn't witnessed that shit ever.
feck :(I don’t know what to say about :mad:

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Harry Maguire... OOOF

:lol: That's class, please someone and get that going!

Siorac

Ipswich Town Vs Norwich, local Derby I went for the atmosphere as I was studying there, the Norwich keepers daughter had cancer and not sure if she had died or what but the town fans were chanting shit that the guy broke down in tears and was subbed after 25 mins. I left at half time as it made me nearly throw up as I hadn't witnessed that shit ever.
Yeah, that's inexcusably awful.

killerboi2

I don't really have much of an opinion either way on the Park chant myself, but lets just say that he became our best player, a superstar like Ronaldo and the chant carried on. For some reason I get the feeling a lot of people who are alright with it would start requesting that we change it and that it doesn't do him justice.

Steve Bruce

A local one in NI.

Roy Cole was a Linfield manager and our most successful manager. A number of years passed he became manager of our arch enemies Glentoran. (became their most successful manager ever)

The song that he would hear is.

Roy Cole, theirs only one Roy Coyle,
He takes it up the rear
Because he's a f**king queer.

Not in best taste and would certainly get bad press in today's era.

Halftrack

Can't help it when there are an awful lot on here getting offended, blood pressure is fine lad don't be worrying, or getting offended, or being discriminated against, or whatever else upsets you princess
You're a proper 'ard man, and do be letting anyone tell you differently. because you're liable to have a meltdown
Oh yeh - i forgot the lyrics. Cheers. I suppose that could be offensive to some. But its not showing a dislike towards homosexual people, which define homophobic!
It's literally using Torres' supposed homosexuality to mock him, it's textbook homophobia.

lsd

The Oracle
In my opinion, its all banter. And how people deal with banter is what makes something offensive.
Football has always appealed more towards the working class. The game has been played mainly over the years by people that when they were kids - their families couldnt afford to go to go Snowboarding, Rock climbing, Croquet, Dressage or what have you.
What they could afford was a football, that would keep a group of any number of kids entertained for hours and hours and hours.
The type of kids that would laugh when they see someone fall over and carry that through to adult life.
Some went on to play professional football, others ended up driving a van but what they all shared was the love of the camaraderie brought on by kicking a bit of leather around. They can deal with banter - they know theres nothing in it and they know that in 5 minutes it will be their turn to banter someone else.
I used to get called pizza face in school. I was insecure about my spots but you learn to laugh it off and return the compliments by ripping 'Smiffy' about his Mam and the 6 ''uncles'' he has had in a month.

People find things funny - and there is nothing funnier than a football chant that is close to the bone - Obviously there are lines that MOST adhere to not cross - mocking the dead etc but if its calling Lukaku 'big s1ck', Torres a ******, Rooney Shrek, that doesn't make someone racist or homophobic. It means its funny, tongue in cheek, roots of the game, a game that is built on that very humour.

If people are offended by a chant - why not sod off and watch Snooker or badminton or some other ''upper class' left wing nonsense.

Theres nothing more sad or pathetic than these chants. Grown men singing about the size of someones dick because he happens to be black or any other stupid stereotype is just so ignorant .

People who do this are the same as the brain dead morons that try and pick a fight in the pub asking what are you looking at etc .

At least those idiots just can't handle a drink what's the excuse to act like a neanderthal just because you go to a match ?

As for "just banter " that is used in an attempt to excuse any racial bigoted or ignorant behaviour going . If the only way to defend doing something stupid is it's just banter or only a bit of fun then you are being a moron

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Most chants are fine tbh. Yeah some might be making fun of people or using stereotypes or whatever else, but it's all in jest and most of the time used to rile up the opposition which is fine.

The chants that should be off limits is pretty much the same as jokes that should be off limits. You don't make fun of people who have suffered a personal tragedy or something like that, whereas if you're Harry Maguire, then you can bet all his mates would have told him he has a big head.

Pavl3n

I know it's not the right thread and probably I am wrong, but I haven't heard of chants for Pogba or Rashford

SiRed

Theres nothing more sad or pathetic than these chants. Grown men singing about the size of someones dick because he happens to be black or any other stupid stereotype is just so ignorant .

People who do this are the same as the brain dead morons that try and pick a fight in the pub asking what are you looking at etc .

At least those idiots just can't handle a drink what's the excuse to act like a neanderthal just because you go to a match ?

As for "just banter " that is used in an attempt to excuse any racial bigoted or ignorant behaviour going . If the only way to defend doing something stupid is it's just banter or only a bit of fun then you are being a moron
what a ridiculous statement.
I sang to the Lukakau chant- i have never had a fight in the pub. Nor do i dislike anybody based on their ethnicity.
If you don't see the funny side of 'scoring all our goals, bell end by his toes' and instead you see it as anything other than banter then its people like you that are taking the fun out of this country. No joke is below you, Live and let live, and don't take life to seriously and you might just have some fun.

SiRed

Most chants are fine tbh. Yeah some might be making fun of people or using stereotypes or whatever else, but it's all in jest and most of the time used to rile up the opposition which is fine.

The chants that should be off limits is pretty much the same as jokes that should be off limits. You don't make fun of people who have suffered a personal tragedy or something like that, whereas if you're Harry Maguire, then you can bet all his mates would have told him he has a big head.
100%..... but be careful not to offend anyone with slightly oversized craniums.

Full bodied red

How's Thornberry posh? Went to a bog standard secondary modern and went to the University of Kent!!!

She got her kids into Dame Alice Owen's but fecking hell, I know a whole bunch of parents working their socks off to get their kids into selective schools

She's out of touch with blue collars, as are lots of the Labour hierarchy

tps://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/21/emily-thornberry-resignation-explain-outside-britain

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...elite-live-cheek-jowl-leafy-north-London.html

Is Dame Alice Owen's the same school that Abbot, Milne, Chakrabarti sent their children too - or an even more expensive one ??

Their money, of course, so they can spend it how they want....

Inigo Montoya

She's out of touch with blue collars, as are lots of the Labour hierarchy

tps://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/21/emily-thornberry-resignation-explain-outside-britain

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...elite-live-cheek-jowl-leafy-north-London.html

Is Dame Alice Owen's the same school that Abbot, Milne, Chakrabarti sent their children too - or an even more expensive one ??

Their money, of course, so they can spend it how they want....
It's a state school.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
There are definitely worse than the Park one for offensiveness.

I’d say the Dalglish one is in pretty poor taste. Singing about Shinji’s Grandad bombing Pearl Harbour is bad...

The one about Fernando Torres looking like a transvestite etc. is pretty homophobic.
I don't know the Dalglish one. Can you elaborate?

ZupZup

I don't know the Dalglish one. Can you elaborate?
It's the 'there's a Tavern in your town...' chant.

"We're gonna hang Dalglish from the highest f***ing tree! So all you Scouse bastards can see! He's a c**t!"

Obviously it's a very old chant... not the type of one that would be created nowadays.

WireMUFC

Could you imagine someone saying this in the pub before a match, like a different world on here :lol:

Can everyone stop drinking and having a laugh please I find it quite offensive :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Could you imagine someone saying this in the pub before a match, like a different world on here :lol:

Can everyone stop drinking and having a laugh please I find it quite offensive :lol:
Point is, you can have a drink and a laugh. You don't have to indulge in stupid chants to do it.

If that's what floats your boat, then join in. If not,feel free to abstain

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
It's the 'there's a Tavern in your town...' chant.

"We're gonna hang Dalglish from the highest f***ing tree! So all you Scouse bastards can see! He's a c**t!"

Obviously it's a very old chant... not the type of one that would be created nowadays.
Doesn't seem massively inappropriate....

Tarrou

can anyone remember the old "who can rob your houses" chant?

classic IMO, but would fall in the unacceptable category for sure

Halftrack

If you don't see the funny side of 'scoring all our goals, bell end by his toes' and instead you see it as anything other than banter then its people like you that are taking the fun out of this country. No joke is below you, Live and let live, and don't take life to seriously and you might just have some fun.
Maybe, just maybe, for some, knowing that the idea that black men have big willies stems from the myth that black men were sex-crazed brutes looking to rape innocent white women kind of kills their ability to see it as harmless banter. Just a thought.

SiRed

Maybe, just maybe, for some, knowing that the idea that black men have big willies stems from the myth that black men were sex-crazed brutes looking to rape innocent white women kind of kills their ability to see it as harmless banter. Just a thought.
I doubt this was ever a thing!