Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Don't know much about him. The Arse team isn't that bad but it'll be tough to do any better with no budget. Maybe he'd get a better budget after the first season.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Don't know how I feel about that. I think with Arsenal's budget and 'offer' he probably wasn't available but I feel that United could offer any manager a shit load of cash, a good salary and a platform to be very successful, in turn making almost any manager 'available'.
Decisions aren't always about money. There are other factors a manager considers when they decide to take job, especially at a club the size of Arsenal.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
O.k enough appointment.

Similar to Benitez, better cup manager than he is over league seasons generally.

Arsenal are europa league level team right now. He won the competitions three times in a row between 2014-16.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Shame they didn't go with Artera. Emery is a good manager, but not really anywhere as worrying as if they would hire Allegri, Simeone or Jardim imo.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Typical Arsenal. Quiet, efficient bit of business. Thank feck it wasn't Arteta.
I think you’ve got a great chance of winning the Europa League next season. Smart appointment and one that might get some more out of the likes of Ozil.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Such a strange appointment, he will raise their floor but don't think that his ceiling is very high at all.
How much worse is he than any other manager in the league at the moment? A new club for a manager with new players can bring new ideas. Added to that, he's not exactly a bottom of the barrel type appointment.

Aurell

Supports
Football
Well I'm not sure we will see tomorrow Arsenal come back in the top 4. So Emery ? It seems they really did prepare Arsene's move.

The plus would be:
-an attacking football: 433 or 4231 with a true 10 like Pastore should have been
- a direct attacking style
- he won 3 Europa even if the last one was a little scandal

The malus
- assumed to be a hard/ agressive coach but showed nothing of that at PSG
- he actually admitted that the PSG players were too different of his mentality, (lazier) so he had to adjust to them before make them change slowly. That's the case the game against Madrid where there was a lack of "fighting spirit"
- he has sometimes some difficulties to be directive and listened (Barcelona - Psg)
- he has some difficulties with the leagues: last season with Sevilla (a few away games won) and 2nd place last year.

Anyway it's not the radical change. He may adjust to the mentality of Arsenal's players one more time and work on a long term to have some real results

Edit: Malus
Not very good in CL

Last edited:

Jacko21

If Allegri was the hired-gun and Arteta was the exciting young novice, then Arsenal have gone down the middle with Emery.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nah he sounds the opposite of lvg. Lvg was a hard tactician. This guy is the exact opposite. Soft and not exactly tactically great.
They got a young Wenger!

Oh wait that actually sounds a bit scary. Young Wenger was brilliant.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Emery is a damaged goods after that Barcelona Remontada fiasco in my opinion. He will be sacked before the end of the next season.

paulscholes18

Well I'm not sure we will see tomorrow Arsenal come back in the top 4. So Emery ? It seems they really did prepare Arsene's move.

The plus would be:
-an attacking football: 433 or 4231 with a true 10 like Pastore should have been

The malus
- he actually admitted that the PSG players were too different of his mentality, (lazier) so he had to adjust to them before make them change slowly. That's seen the game against Madrid where there was a lack of "fighting spirit"
- he have sometimes some difficulties to be directive and listened (Barcelona - Psg)
- he has some difficulties with the leagues: last season with Sevilla (a few away games won) and 2nd place last year.

Anyway it's not the radical change. He may adjust to the mentality of Arsenal's players one more time and work on a long term to have some real results
Fits like a glove then

macheda14

I love Ian Wright's insightful analysis of what Emery has to do: 'His coaching ability will have to get going instantly and he will have to find some gems instantly.' Instantly.

prath92

This is a Spanish football journo who contributes to espn talksport fourfourtwo etc.

prath92

They got a young Wenger!

Oh wait that actually sounds a bit scary. Young Wenger was brilliant.
Young Wenger wasn’t soft. He changed everything and made the players convert to healthy eating and stuff. This guy isn’t like that going by reports

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The plus would be:

The malus
- he actually admitted that the PSG players were too different of his mentality, (lazier) so he had to adjust to them before make them change slowly. That's seen the game against Madrid where there was a lack of "fighting spirit"
- he have sometimes some difficulties to be directive and listened (Barcelona - Psg)

Yeah, my skepticism about him is that he failed to impose himself and ended up using Blanc's tactic but with less collective understanding and tactical nous.

Camilo

Well done Arsenal, he's a good appointment. Very intrigued - I've missed a strong Arsenal team in the league, hopefully he'll provide it.

Had some real problems when he was a young manager at Valencia. Lots of players getting in trouble with the club not turning up for training, going out when they werent supposed to etc. Didnt seem to respect him. Not sure if the same stuff has happened at his recent clubs
Valencia fans had a problem, not Emery. Valencia were a heavily indebted club that always finished 3rd even after they sold Mata, Villa, Silva, etc.
He left the club and they became a middle table team.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
How much worse is he than any other manager in the league at the moment? A new club for a manager with new players can bring new ideas. Added to that, he's not exactly a bottom of the barrel type appointment.
That's not really the point though, I think that he is a decent manager but don't see him as a guy to take Arsenal to say a league title or a deep cl run at any point.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Interesting choice, and probably a solid one, too. That said, my hunch is that I don't see him taking Arsenal back into the top four.

saivet

If Allegri was the hired-gun and Arteta was the exciting young novice, then Arsenal have gone down the middle with Emery.
Yup.

I imagine he'll do okay but not have them challenging like their fans want. Arteta might have more upside, but he'd be such a big gamble that you're better off going with a Emerym

Enigma_87

You know who
Damn, it's a good appointment. Nice football but not thoroughly naive.

As already mentioned not much of an authority in the dressing room with the big names, but there aren't any at Arsenal now anyway.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
His teams play rather direct. Especially dangerous on the counter. Let's see how it goes.

ti vu

As if elite coach would be easy to acquire, consider the air around Arsenal not wanting to spend much. Arsenal short term plan is getting back to top 4 and perhaps trying to win EL which is within Emery's ability going by his past record.

I am not here to wish luck for Arsenal but gutted Arsenal snubbed Arteta. With Arteta things can go very south which is ideal for opposition fan... I meant ArsenalFAMTV
That's not really the point though, I think that he is a decent manager but don't see him as a guy to take Arsenal to say a league title or a deep cl run at any point.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Emery had 0 away wins in the 15/16 season with Sevilla.

So he'll fit perfect.

montpelier

if he's any good

the DM area gets an overhaul, and a couple of defenders arrive

we'll know soon enough

dove

Should be better than Arteta but I don't think they will finish above 6th next season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
if he's any good

the DM area gets an overhaul, and a couple of defenders arrive

we'll know soon enough
If the rumour is correct they have a 50m budget for renovation.

ti vu

His teams play rather direct. Especially dangerous on the counter. Let's see how it goes.
Also, he builds decent wing play and place good on hard work and physicality. If anythings for a Spanish coach, his philosophy is more of a English coach.

Not sure about Europa League. Sevilla have always maintained it's not the manager who's the most important staff member there, they have an extensive backroom staff who were also responsible for the likes of Juande Ramos picking up Europa leagues with them. They weren't too bothered when he left for PSG.
Rewriting history? yeah.

Not really. Wasn't an issue for Potchettino though, he didn't speak English until his second season at Tottenham.
Not speaking english and not speaking english publicly are two different things.

Pacificgi

Probably a good choice - it will be interesting to see what he does as theres alot deadwood and players not good enough at arsenal.