Unbelievable goals that were discredited/played down

Wittmann45

That's exactly the goal I thought of when I read the title. I remember plenty on here discrediting the goal because evidently the goal was poor because he "shinned it"

In terms of great goals over shadowed or forgotten, which is a bit different than OP, I would say Crespo's goal against Liverpool in the 2005 Cl Final. Really clever turn by Kaka and then a perfectly weighted ball to Crespo who beautifully chips the keeper. Maybe the most beautiful pass of all time

I would also say De Rossi's goal in the 7-1 game was so clever and yet almost completely forgotten

Also, Shevshenko's goal versus Tottenham was overshadowed by how terrible he was at Chelsea. Di Maria's goal against Leicester was stunning but was overshadowed by the result and by Di Maria being terrible

MUFC OK

Also Berbatov's overhead kick got overshadowed by Rooney's I think. Can you imagine United forward scoring a hat-trick against Liverpool now?

RT, first one that comes to mind. Also Welbecks goal against City in the FA Cup in 2012 (I think).

Web of Bissaka

Not sure if this is 'discredited' or 'played down'.

Zlatan's 'disallowed' flying volley, vs Valdes (Middlesborough) first come into mind.

:drool: Blind and Martial combo leading to that though, what a beaut.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I dunno, it picks up speed as it approaches him, no way he's stopping that. The commentator mentions he was beaten for pace, but I'm sure Jim 'everythings crap unless Liverpool did it' Beglin had a moan about the keeper.
It can't speed up as it approaches him. It has to be slowing down at that stage.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's a good strike but the height it goes in at and the distance he strikes it from would point to an error from Almunia.
I’d agree. Fine strike and I don’t envy the keepers dealing with modern wobbly balls. But the height is very favourable for the keeper. His positioning is fine, as he has both arms in place for the save, yet he doesn’t even extend them when the ball flies past. A top keeper saves that 9/10.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Look at how it moves as it approaches him, he's gone for it, but it's not there anymore.
That is purely down to the keeper and how he reads the ball. It's slowing down at that stage. There may be a bit of movement on it but it is waist height and kicked from about 40 yards out? That is ideal for any goalkeeper worth their salt. Almunia was just shite.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I’d agree. Fine strike and I don’t envy the keepers dealing with modern wobbly balls. But the height is very favourable for the keeper. His positioning is fine, as he has both arms in place for the save, yet he doesn’t even extend them when the ball flies past. A top keeper saves that 9/10.
Yeah I dont even think you need to be a top keeper to save that. Just more mobile than an Ent from LOTR....

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Always thought Dzeko's header here (1:42) was underrated.