Film Uncharted - The Movie

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Alarm bells started ringing when Dan Trachtenberg left the project; a talented hungry young director who was a fan of the subject material.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Tom Holland looks too young/not gritty enough and feck Mark Wahlberg the prick.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
Tom Holland looks too young/not gritty enough and feck Mark Wahlberg the prick.
When Tom Holland comes out and says he approached the role in the wrong way and wasn’t happy with his performanc, you know you’re on to a stinker.

I just don’t get how they can feck this up, the stories in the games are incredible. Would love to be proven wrong but this looks like it’s going to be a big disappointmen.

AaronRedDevil

I’m gonna hate everything about this movie. Looks nothing like Drake, they didn’t need to do the whole Young Drake angle. why do they always make the easy things difficult. Chris Pratt as Drake, Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Sully. Why is that so hard.

Zen

Chris Pratt as Drake? What happened to the internet wanting Nathan Fillion?

Has there been a good video game film yet..... that's still the reason I'm never interested.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Has there been a good video game film yet..... that's still the reason I'm never interested.
I want to watch the Resident Evil films but they look so terrible.

Don’t hold much hope for this.

AaronRedDevil

He’s too old unfortunately and he’s the best option IMO. Nathan is perfect for it. Plus the new MK was pretty good. It’s wasn’t a proper MK movie as I’m thinking it’s more of a beta run before they do it properly.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Same and no. The problem I think is the cost of movies means having to go for an even bigger audience than the games, at least from the outset.

This tends to translate into appealing to the lowest common denominator to recoup costs and doubly so because people involved in movies - at least the producers - will look at the games and their audience as being interested in nothing else except set-pieces. Hence the ambition is never high.

So whilst the Uncharted games in this instance got more refined over time due to the way they kept building on the narrative qualities, the movies will likely begin at the lowest point, continuing on a low trajectory until eventually they realise the series isn't profitable enough to continue.

It sucks but it's obvious they will have seen the name, the existing audience, and thought, hey we can market this with a few top stars (as the casting proves). The only time it seems to work is when they take a not-too serious game and put a strong director in charge (e.g. Miike with Phoenix Wright).

Last edited:

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
He’s too old unfortunately and he’s the best option IMO. Nathan is perfect for it. Plus the new MK was pretty good. It’s wasn’t a proper MK movie as I’m thinking it’s more of a beta run before they do it properly.
Drake didn’t need to be an A lister in my opinion, you could easily get away with a lesser known actor who is able to replicate Drakes charm on screen. Holland is more of the cheeky chappy type and to be honest, I think he’s just going to be Peter Parker.

Wahlberg as Sully is truly terrible casting. He’s a shite actor first of all but I can’t think of a single role where he has displayed Sully like qualities. Someone mention Tom Hanks as Sully and I liked that idea, not sure if he’d take it mind. My choice would’ve been Steven Lang.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I just don’t get how they can feck this up, the stories in the games are incredible. Would love to be proven wrong but this looks like it’s going to be a big disappointmen.
I wouldn’t say they’re incredible, but as far as video games go they should’ve translated easily onto the big screen bar some of the supernatural stuff. Like so easy there’s no way they’d screw it up.

*narrator voice: And then they screwed it up.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Isn't National Treasure basically Uncharted.

Brocky

This looks terrible.

Silent Hill is probably the best video game film I have seen and (ignoring Sean Bean's horrendous accent) that was pretty good at best and that's only because of all the little nods and touches brought over from the game, such as camera angles in certain scenes. Being a big fan of the game series, these things made a difference but, to the average viewer, would have been lost.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Going by the screenshot there's literally no resemblance between these guys and the characters they are playing. They've basically just decided to use the name of a well known franchise to cover a bog standard whalberg shite movie.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The first Resident Evil movie was a pretty good game to movie adaptation.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Such a wonderfully awful film, it was brilliant.
I love the story of Raul Julia, who was a highly qualified actor, playing M Bison even though he was battling stomach cancer because his kids liked it and he wanted to spend time with them learning the role.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I love the story of Raul Julia, who was a highly qualified actor, playing M Bison even though he was battling stomach cancer because his kids liked it and he wanted to spend time with them learning the role.
Wow, he died shortly afterwards too didn’t he, awful.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
This looks terrible.

Silent Hill is probably the best video game film I have seen and (ignoring Sean Bean's horrendous accent) that was pretty good at best and that's only because of all the little nods and touches brought over from the game, such as camera angles in certain scenes. Being a big fan of the game series, these things made a difference but, to the average viewer, would have been lost.

Was going to mention this one, probably the best game adaptation. Not a perfect film but it hit the right notes, atmosphere was great and it was visually interesting. Christophe Gans has pretty much disappeared, I see he's made one film since that 2006 one. Not that he was ever that prolific.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Meh, I think whalberg as Sully isn’t a bad casting after watching that. Imagine it will be thoroughly average.

AaronRedDevil

Feck the "young" Nathan and Sully. Just do normal. Pratt/Fillion as Nathan and JD Morgan as Sully and you have your movie. But noooooo, that I would be too easy. Let's just make another generic shite movie and slap the uncharted tag on there.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Eh, I can't imagine Morgan as Sully.

Fillion would have been perfect for Drake but he's "too old" unfortunately with Drake being 31 in the first game, 35ish in the third and about 40 in the last game when he retired.

Thought they werent gonna take anything from the games? Theyve already ruined this sequence:
0:52 is pretty much the ship from Uncharted 4 too.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Thought they werent gonna take anything from the games? Theyve already ruined this sequence:

They've taken lots from the games. The set pieces, the clothes, locations. Packaged everything in a mishmash of "look at the shiny shiny, remember this from the games?" pap.

Hey, remember when Nate wore that white top? Forget the location and situation that resulted in him wearing it in the games. Forget actual world building and character development in this movie. This guy playing Nate has the same shirt!

It's like the Resident Evil ones where plastic plants wear the outfits of their counterparts from completely different games and somehow join up to fight in the movies. Jill Valentine in her boobtube rocking up to the police station as if that's her real uniform, when in reality she wore it in the third game because she was probably getting ready to go out and get railed by Chris just before the city all went to shit.

...watch this movie win the Best Picture Oscar or something now...

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Does anyone want my code to get a free ticket to see this at cineworld?

UK only Im guessing.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
So it's not an Uncharted movie. Nathan Drake isn't like Nathan Drake it's pretty much Tom Holland doing his usual schtick, Sully isn't anything like Sully and whoever is Chloe does a shoddy attempt at an Australian accent that starts off British. There's barely any buildings/trains/ships that just fall apart with Nate getting thrown about which is like 70% of the games. It's just another movie with francise name stuck on it to help sell.

Saying all that, it's not very good. Pretty run of the mill for the most part, one or two jokes are funny, the only semi interesting action sequence was the one lifted straight from Uncharted 3 but with dodgy wire work. It climaxes absurdly with two helicopters carrying a giant wooden ship each chasing each, yet it manages to be kinda tame. Also everyone is really young. Nate I think is supposed to be 30 but Tom Holland has such a baby face, there's a mercenary leader who is 20 and Chloe apparently has a long past with Sully, but is again like 20.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So it's not an Uncharted movie. Nathan Drake isn't like Nathan Drake it's pretty much Tom Holland doing his usual schtick, Sully isn't anything like Sully and whoever is Chloe does a shoddy attempt at an Australian accent that starts off British. There's barely any buildings/trains/ships that just fall apart with Nate getting thrown about which is like 70% of the games. It's just another movie with francise name stuck on it to help sell.

Saying all that, it's not very good. Pretty run of the mill for the most part, one or two jokes are funny, the only semi interesting action sequence was the one lifted straight from Uncharted 3 but with dodgy wire work. It climaxes absurdly with two helicopters carrying a giant wooden ship each chasing each, yet it manages to be kinda tame. Also everyone is really young. Nate I think is supposed to be 30 but Tom Holland has such a baby face, there's a mercenary leader who is 20 and Chloe apparently has a long past with Sully, but is again like 20.
As expected, then.