Under 21 European Championship 2021 (March & May - June)

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

France are team to beat with this squad. Looks like they’ve taken all their best players except Mbappe and Upamecano.
This is pretty stacked, many of them have CL experience. Aouar's inclusion is a bit weird though.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I think I would play Timber and Schuurs over Teze, Timber could also be an alternative for Zeefuik.

I also think Reis would be a better option in right midfield, especially when you play with a 10 like Lang.
Meant Timber, don't know why I had Teze. Schuurs over Teze, not sure. He always makes mistakes. Reis might be a good one as well, havent seen him play a lot. I think Holland could really surprise the bigger nations.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Haven't seen the odds but surely Portgual are amongst the favourites?
Wouldn't bet on that, some of the best midfield players from this generation didn't developed as it was expected, the CB's don't inspire me great confidence, beside the fact the NT coach didn't called the best one who is playing for Sporting first 11 because he says he doesn't have time to train the players in a short period of time.

Also we have a lot of players who also can play in the next tournament so I presume the team is relatively young. Would say France, England, Netherlands maybe favourites.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
At first glance, Noa Lang and Bruno Gonçalves are the players in the Europe top 10 competitions.
You mean Pedro Gonçalves? So far our coach seems unable to take the best from him. Will be surprised if he performs.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
France look by far the strongest team on paper.
Portugal, England, Netherlands all look strong as well.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
You mean Pedro Gonçalves? So far our coach seems unable to take the best from him. Will be surprised if he performs.
That's who I meant, because he has taken over Bruno's output I think I gave him the same first name accidentally.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Has anyone followed the U21s enough to make an educated guess about the lineup?
Would be interested to know how likely Greenwood is to start in particular.

Lineups of other nations are also very welcome.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I've been assigned the first England game, so I'll be commentating. It goes out on flashsvore in the UK if anyone's interested in tuning in, obviously assuming you're not watching on sky.

EDIT: I got re-assigned to Iceland V Germany instead so I won't be doing the England game now.

Last edited:

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

Not my line-up but putting my Aidy Boothroyd head on for a moment:

Ramsdale
Tanganga Guehi Godfrey
Aarons Skipp Davies Sessegnon
Greenwood Nketiah Hudson-Odoi​

KranjskaKlobasa

Hosts: Slovenia. Hungary

Groups:

Group A
  • Hungary
  • Germany
  • Romania
  • Netherlands
Group B
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Czech republic
  • Italy
Group C
  • Russia
  • Iceland
  • France
  • Denmark
Group D
  • England
  • Portugal
  • Croatia
  • Switzerland

Slovenia U21 squad:

The one to watch for should be Timi Max Elšnik (ex Derby county youngster).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolandofgilead

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth

Groups:

Group A
  • Hungary
  • Germany
  • Romania
  • Netherlands
Group B
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Czech republic
  • Italy
Group C
  • Russia
  • Iceland
  • France
  • Denmark
Group D
  • Russia
  • Iceland
  • France
  • Denmark

Slovenia U21 squad:

You might want to double check those groups mate. Good post though.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
All countries have top talents in the NT, but this team with Gravenberch, Ihatarren, Stengs, Wijndal would not be fair and not even too far fetched as none of them have been international for even a year.

I expect Noa Lang to be player of the tournament if the Netherlands end up far in the competition. At first glance, Noa Lang and Bruno Gonçalves are the players in the Europe top 10 competitions.

Holland could still field;

Bijlow, Zeefuik, Teze, Botman, Bakker, Koopmeiners, Harroui, Lang, Gakpo, Boadu, Kluivert. That team is good enough to win it all, probably Lang will not be used as a number 10 though.

If we get a "what if", other teams get one too. France + Mbappe :drool:

We're underdogs whichever way you look at it. France, England and perhaps Portugal are the favorites. I think the Dutch are on par with Italy and Spain.

Classical Mechanic

England's would be

----------------Ramsdale------------------
TAA-----James----Godfrey---Saka
---------------------Rice-----------------------
---------Mount--------Bellingham-----
Foden-----------------------------Sancho
----------------Greenwood-----------------

I think we'd give the French team a game even with Mbappe and Upamecamo.

hese are the squad numbers for England so I'd epect something like this, I don't think it will be too popular.

https://www.uefa.com/under21/teams/200039--england/squad/

-----------------Ramsdale-----------------
-----Kelly-----Godfrey-----Geuhi------
Aarons----------------------Sessegnon
--------Davies---------Gallagher--------
Greenwood------------Hudson Odoi
-------------------Nketiah--------------------

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

We're underdogs whichever way you look at it. France, England and perhaps Portugal are the favorites. I think the Dutch are on par with Italy and Spain.
I didnt mention the well established under 21 players that already play in the Dutch NT, for Holland I believe that's just one - Matthijs de Ligt. The others have just about made the NT.

France and England would be the what-if standouts though, agreed.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
That’s a shame. Might’ve been a good chance for him to go away and get some confidence back

pascell

That’s a shame. Might’ve been a good chance for him to go away and get some confidence back
I actually think the two weeks off will do him more good than go away with the u21s.

He's played an awful lot of football in the past year at such a young age, we'd be fuming if he went away with the u21s and picked up an injury due to fatigue etc.

Boothroyd is a horrendous manager anyway and I don't feel the u21s would offer Mason much towards his development.

KranjskaKlobasa

Today fixtures:

Group A:
Kick-off 21:00 (GMT+1)

Hungary v Germany
MOL Aréna Sóstó, Székesfehérvár
Referee: Guillermo Cuadra Fernandez (Spain)

Romania v Netherlands
Bozsik Aréna, Budapest
Referee: Sandro Schärer (Switzerland)

Group B:
Kick-off 18:00 (GMT+1)

Slovenia v Spain
Ljudski vrt, Maribor
Referee: François Letexier (France)

Czech Republic v Italy
Stadion Z'dežele, Celje
Referee: Dennis Higler (Netherlands)

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Is there no real legitimate way to watch these matches in the UK?

England's games are on Sky but seemingly no others at all.

Dan_F

Groups:

Group A
  • Hungary
  • Germany
  • Romania
  • Netherlands
Group B
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Czech republic
  • Italy
Group C
  • Russia
  • Iceland
  • France
  • Denmark
Group D
  • England
  • Portugal
  • Croatia
  • Switzerland

Slovenia U21 squad:

It will be interesting to see how he does. I’ve got no idea why he couldn’t make it somewhere in English football, given how stand out he’s been for Olimpija.

I feel for the fans that aren’t able to attend this. Maybe there’s a chance it will be eased by the end stages?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Spain beat Slovenia 3-0, seems like they dominated with 70% ball possession and 21 attempts.
Italy drew Czech 1-1, with Tonali and Marchizza receiving red late in the match, they play Spain next, they could be out if they aren't careful.

Holland is playing in 50 minutes, I hope they do better than the first NT.

Line-Up; Scherpen, Zeefuik, Teze, Schuurs, Bakker, Reis, de Wit, Koopmeiners, Lang, Boadu, Kluivert.

Stand-outs to ook out for, Koopmeiners, Boadu and Lang for Holland.

Germany playing Hungary, I find their squad reasonably uninspiring but this could be because I haven't watches most of the players. Heard Baku is a big talent, and ofcourse Moukoko is as well, on the bench.

Last edited:

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Spain beat Slovenia 3-0, seems like they dominated with 70% ball possession and 21 attempts.
Italy drew Czech 1-1, with Tonali and Marchizza receiving red late in the match, they play Spain next, they could be out if they aren't careful.

Holland is playing in 50 minutes, I hope they do better than the first NT.

Line-Up; Scherpen, Zeefuik, Teze, Schuurs, Bakker, Reis, de Wit, Koopmeiners, Lang, Boadu, Kluivert.

Stand-outs to ook out for, Koopmeiners, Boadu and Lang for Holland.

Germany playing Hungary, I find their squad reasonably uninspiring but this could be because I haven't watches most of the players. Heard Baku is a big talent, and ofcourse Moukoko is as well, on the bench.
Ihattaren should have always played instead of De Wit. Even with his current season. I know he’s not selected which is even stranger.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Ihattaren should have always played instead of De Wit. Even with his current season. I know he’s not selected which is even stranger.
I'm not sure if I agree, De Wit does really add something to the team with his headers, and work-rate. Ihattaren should have come instead of Ekkelenkamp. De Wit has like 4 headers towards goal in one half, for some reason he wins every header.

Lang and Koopmeiners are clearly the best players. No idea why Holland is not playing in a 433 with Boadu as strikers and Lang/Kluivert flanking him. Kluivert just isn't that impressive. He is quick, and skillful but lacks creativity and end product, his corners have been the best thing going for him so far. I can see Gakpo taking his place.

Boadu has been quiet, I think Brobbey would do better to include those around him. Bakker has been quite bad for someone that has had 15 starts at PSG, Malacia is better than the level he's currently playing at. Geertruida could replace Zeefuik as well this week.

Reis has been very average as well, still have no idea how he got a transfer to Barcelona. Harroui is the superior player and I hope he takes him over, needs too many touches when he has the ball and prone to mistakes.

Holland has been the better team, but Roemenia scored from a beautiful free kick.. There is something going on today with Holland and free kicks.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Good result for our (Germany) youngsters, after a rather poor first half. Baku with two assists and a goal.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Sky has the games on their Youtube channel now which is nice. I Will watch the France v Denmark game later now I think.

Classical Mechanic

England team for the game this afternoon

Quite a normal looking set-up for Boothroyd. Even in the absence of Greenwood it's a nice attacking line.

KranjskaKlobasa

25 March 2021

Group C:

Kick-off: 18:00 (GMT+1)
Russia v Iceland
Ménfői úti Stadion, Győr
Referee: Halil Umut Meler (Turkey)

Kick-off: 21:00 (GMT+1)
France v Denmark
Haladás Sportkomplexum, Szombathely
Referee: Irfan Peljto (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Group D:

Kick-off: 21:00 (GMT+1)
Portugal v Croatia
Bonifika Stadium, Koper
Referee: Bartosz Frankowski (Poland)

Kick-off: 15:00 (GMT+1)
England v Switzerland
Bonifika Stadium, Koper
Referee: Giorgi Kruashvili (Georgia)

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm not sure if I agree, De Wit does really add something to the team with his headers, and work-rate. Ihattaren should have come instead of Ekkelenkamp. De Wit has like 4 headers towards goal in one half, for some reason he wins every header.

Lang and Koopmeiners are clearly the best players. No idea why Holland is not playing in a 433 with Boadu as strikers and Lang/Kluivert flanking him. Kluivert just isn't that impressive. He is quick, and skillful but lacks creativity and end product, his corners have been the best thing going for him so far. I can see Gakpo taking his place.

Boadu has been quiet, I think Brobbey would do better to include those around him. Bakker has been quite bad for someone that has had 15 starts at PSG, Malacia is better than the level he's currently playing at. Geertruida could replace Zeefuik as well this week.

Reis has been very average as well, still have no idea how he got a transfer to Barcelona. Harroui is the superior player and I hope he takes him over, needs too many touches when he has the ball and prone to mistakes.

Holland has been the better team, but Roemenia scored from a beautiful free kick.. There is something going on today with Holland and free kicks.
De Witt did alright. He plays close to the goal so the swap for Ihattaren wouldn't make sense.

Never rated Kluivert, he's gotten good transfers because of Raiola. Reminds me of Van der Wiel.

Scherpen, Teze and Schuurs were outstanding. The latter lost his concentration a bit towards the end. When did we start producing better defenders than forwards?

Koopmeiners was what I expected: take away all his goals from dead ball situations and what's left is a player with a heavy touch that can't handle getting pressed or marked. He needs a lot of time to use that wand of his from open play. Poor man's Bazoer.

Edit: I feared Bakker would be terrible. He's only gotten so many starts for PSG because both the first and second LB were injured. He can't get a look in now that Kurzawa (2nd LB) is back, and he's bloody awful. Dumfries with less technical ability.

Last edited: