--------------Winks----------------
---------RLC----------Alli----------
Sancho------------------------CHO
-------------Rashford--------------
You missed lingard.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Didn't Mata play it one year after being a regular in senior team? I'm fairly sure they had a player in 2011 tournament that had played a few minutes in 2010 World cup, may have been Javi Martinez but not 100%.

Edit: Didn't see @Classical Mechanic post who's answered it all.

Still disappointed San Marino aren't in this...have they built a new stadium for this?
Martinez played 16 minutes at the WC after which he was genuinely dropped to the u21 again, where he played the entire qualification phase.

Mata played 20 minutes at the WC and also featured in the latter parts of the qualification phase.

Pellegrini and Chiesa last featured for the u21 in 2017, Barella over a year ago in may 2018. None of them played any of the qualification matches.

Mata is pushing it a lot no doubt, but that's one player. Italy are taking basically everyone they can.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It’s not the first time some nation brings their best players from this age into this competition.

I know it’s a old example because it was in 1994, but the other day I rewatched the final of this competition between Portugal and Italy.

Guess what? Portugal played this final with 4 or 5 players who were already starters for the main team who finished behind Italy and Switzerland for USA 94.

Meanwhile none of the Italy players had any significant role for the senior team under Sacchi, despite having players like Toldo, Panucci, Cannavaro, Benito Carbone, Inzaghi and so on.

The guy who scored the golden goal for Italy never was a significant player in Série A at the time. Orlandini.

This to say, was it a big problem for Portugal to lose this competition with already established players at club level or in the senior team?

I guess not, after all 2 years later João Pinto, Figo or Rui Costa were regular starters at Euro 96 and in Euro 2000 those 3 more Jorge Costa or Abel Xavier.

What’s against the spirit of the competition? There’s not a sacred rule for this type of competition, the development of the players is done at club level.

If Italy wins the decision was right, if they lose they were wrong. After all Kean, Zaniolo or Tonali were playing last year the under 19’s final vs Portugal and now they have a couple of caps on the senior team.

The only difference was that in the 90’s under Cesare Maldini they had world class players who could have started for a lot of NT’s but didn’t had space on their team. Now they have.

By the way my opinion is that they’re going on the right direction, second consecutive under 20 WC they reach the last 4, 2 consecutive finals with the under 17’s, a final with the under 19’s, players who already are established at Serie A. We’re seeing problems where they don’t exist imo.

izec

Italy and Spain have some top players lining up, cant see past them for winning it. That Spain midfield is a bit ridiculous, but they always had the best midfield in this competition.

Italy playing at home and usually disappointing in this age group, they probably thought we take some senior starters with us.

Germany, England and France look good too, but not sure how well they play as a team. Will be an interesting tournament with plenty of talent.

Classical Mechanic

Italy and Spain have some top players lining up, cant see past them for winning it. That Spain midfield is a bit ridiculous, but they always had the best midfield in this competition.

Italy playing at home and usually disappointing in this age group, they probably thought we take some senior starters with us.

Germany, England and France look good too, but not sure how well they play as a team. Will be an interesting tournament with plenty of talent.
Germany play excellently as a team. England and France lack in that department although France seem to be on the wrong end of results more often than England.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Germany:
Florian Müller - Mainz
Alexander Nübel - Schalke
Markus Schubert - Dresden

Waldemar Anton - Hannover
Timo Baumgartl - Stuttgart
Benjamin Henrichs - Monaco
Lukas Klostermann - Leipzig
Lukas Klünter - Berlin
Maximilian Mittelstädt - Berlin
Jonathan Tah - Leverkusen
Felix Uduokhai - Wolfsburg

Nadiem Amiri - Hoffenheim
Mahmoud Dahoud - Dortmund
Maximilian Eggestein - Bremen
Robin Koch - Freiburg
Eduard Löwen - Nürnberg
Arne Meier - Berlin
Florian Neuhaus - Gladbach
Levin Öztunali - Mainz
Marco Richter - Augsburg
Suat Serdar - Schalke

Johannes Eggestein - Bremen
Lukas Nmecha - Preston
Luca Waldschmidt - Freiburg

I think that's a fairly decent squad for a u21, the only thing truly missing are quality wingers. A fair amount of players with CL experience: Nübel, Henrichs, Klostermann, Tah, Amiri, Dahoud, Serdar

---------------------Nubel/Muller---------------------
Klostermann---Tah--Baumgartl----Henrichs/Mittelstadt
----------------Dahoud----Meier----------------------
Oztunali--------M.Eggestein/Neuhaus------------Amiri
--------------------Waldschmidt-----------------------

Nice squad, really look forward to watching them play. One thing that disappointed me about 2017 was that I don't think enough players have graduated into the senior team from that squad. Only Gnabry and Kehrer have come through to the national team, guys like Stark, Oliver-Kempf, Dahoud, Meyer were players I hoped would get a promotion.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Likely line-ups for tonight's game (21.00 CET), according to La Gazzetta:

A lot of criticism against Italy but Spain, to me, have a more competitive and better starting XI: Fabiàn, Oyarzabal, Soler and Ceballos are easily worth € 50+ mln imho.

Hope we won’t get destroyed by Spain’s midfield like last time

Njord

That's a strong Spain team. I can't think lf any players that didn't travel for them because their too "senior". Atletico's Rodri maybe?

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is Dean Henderson going to start for England or is Gunn ahead of him?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That Italy front three wouldn't look out of place for the senior NT. Don't really know their defensive players that well so Spain might exploit that as they have really good quality in final third with Ceballos, Oryazabal and Carlos Soler.

Ramos

Don't expect a lot from the Belgian side. They aren't completely crap (or they wouldn't have qualified) but absolutely nowhere near the current gen.

I suspect Italy and Spain will be way too much for them. Coach makes some weird choices too.

Reactions: Invictus

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Probably the strongest youth comp I can remember in terms of overall quality of every side. There isn't really any whipping boys. Austria and Danes both have strong squads. Austria beat France last week whilst missing a couple of their best players. France are always lazy in friendlies though. Really looking forward to this.

Kaglish10

Likely line-ups for tonight's game (21.00 CET), according to La Gazzetta:

A lot of criticism against Italy but Spain, to me, have a more competitive and better starting XI: Fabiàn, Oyarzabal, Soler and Ceballos are easily worth € 50+ mln imho.

Hope we won’t get destroyed by Spain’s midfield like last time
Your front line is the bomb. Even your midfield is an experienced side also.

haram

The soccer aid charity game has more interest than this? :lol:

Spain just scored a nice goal.

Kaglish10

We want to see Tonali please. Get him in and let's see what the hype is about. It's not like Italy outfield midfielders are doing anything in the midfield presently.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Some of the names on the bench for these nations is insane....Sandro Tonali, Cutrone, Junior Firpo, Mikel Merino and Pablo Fornals all linked or had big money moves so far.

haram

I remember Ceballos playing well in the last U21 tournament as well.

izec

Some of the names on the bench for these nations is insane....Sandro Tonali, Cutrone, Junior Firpo, Mikel Merino and Pablo Fornals all linked or had big money moves so far.
Fornals is already at West Ham. Good move by them

slored1

Ceballos in form is a truly wonderful footballer. Reminds me of James a bit actually.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
How can people not want chiesa?! This game is a fecking hot bed of talent.