Music Underground Hip Hop Thread

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ive never posted in this thread because I am not really sure what exactly 'underground' hiphop is - but anyway i came across one of my all time favorite hiphop track on youtube and this seems like a good place to post it:

if anyone has other stuff in this style then post it up!

cinc

The Roots "Make My" featuring Big K.R.I.T. by okayplayer on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This morning The Roots officially announced the December 6th release of their new LP undun on Island Def Jam. A sort of novel in audio form, undun is “an existential re-telling of the short life of one Redford Stephens (1974-1999).” In some ways the culmination of the play between street legal rap and high art that has always characterized The Roots’ music the record explores “the intersection of free will and prescribed destiny as it plays out on the corner,” beginning with Redford’s death and moving backwards in time to deconstruct all that has led to his (and our own) coming “undun.” Or as The Roots’ drummer and spokesman Ahmir “?uestlove” Thompson puts it:

“At this point in our career we’d like for our work to have a unifying theme, and an experiential quality. We’ve been intentionally making our albums shorter in length so that they can be experienced as a continuous work. The music is band-oriented with an eye on the moody cinematic. As a DJ, I am the King of playlists, but I don’t want our albums to feel like a playlist or a mixtape for that matter. We want to tell stories that work within the album format and we want the stories to be nuanced and useful to people. Undun is the story of this kid who becomes criminal, but he wasn’t born criminal. He’s not the nouveau exotic primitive bug-eyed gunrunner like Tupac’s character Bishop in Juice… he’s actually thoughtful and is neither victim nor hero. Just some kid who begins to order his world in a way that makes the most sense to him at a given moment… At the end of the day… isn’t that what we all do?”

See our accompanying post to catch the World Premiere of the first leak “Make My” featuring Big K.R.I.T. ”Make My” hits iTunes November 1st and The Roots will be playing New York’s Highline Ballroom on Nov. 29th-30th and again on Dec. 5th to launch the album with a bang. Get the full tracklist after the jump and stay tuned for more!

TRACKLISTING:
1. Sleep
2. Make My
3. One Time
4. Kool On
5. The Jump
6. Stomp
7. Lighthouse
8. I Remember
9. Tip The Scale
10. Redford

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Odd Future and Tyler The Creators success and transition into the mainstream without compromising their art has been nothing short of the biggest breath of fresh air in amongst Wiz, Lil Wayne and the rest of that dog shit.

Long may it continue.