Film Underrated Movies

Oscar.Z.Acosta

I understand the monoliths and I like non-linear films but 2001 was just pretentious bollocks. Typical Kubrick, immensely pleased with himself combined with the emotional depth of a house brick.
I see you're not a fan! We'll have to agree to disagree on this film as there haven't been many pieces of art (let alone film) that have so elegantly tried to answer the biggest questions of how and why we are here and where could we possibly be going since major organised religions came up with their respective opuses...just my opinion, though.

Anyway, as life is light and shade a couple of underrated ones for me are:

1) (not one for a date, really).

2) (one a friend recommended which I thought I'd hate but was feelgood par excellence...).

Robertd0803

Terminator Salvation never gets the credit it deserves I feel just because its not Terminator 1 or 2. I love that film.

Ive been on a crusade to get people at work to watch Watchmen for ages no with no joy. Brilliant film.

John_Jensen

Terminator Salvation never gets the credit it deserves I feel just because its not Terminator 1 or 2. I love that film.

Ive been on a crusade to get people at work to watch Watchmen for ages no with no joy. Brilliant film.
Is that the one with the Terminator with the Human Heart bollocks??

Verminator

Blood Simple is a forgotten classic from the Coen brothers.
The Legend of 1900 actually makes Tim Roth likeable, and is great escapism.
A Morricone link to Cinema Paradiso, which if not underrated is certainly under-watched.
I'll throw in Contact as well. I'm a bit of a Foster fan though, so I don't know if it is just me that she draws such empathy from,in this performance.

DanBorja

Watchmen:
Imo the best super hero movie. Got mixed reviews, some people love it, some hate it. I personally loved all of the characters, the plot, was beautifully shot and has a whole other take on super/anti heroes.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Paul, with Simon Pegg. Some proper funny bits.

And Borat, which might be the best film of all time.

SteveTheRed

The Edge

I don't know if it's that underrated but I love this film Charles, always enjoy watching. Just like the survival parts, Charles being Charles and the bear... he is an Oscar winner apparently Charles.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I'll throw in Contact as well. I'm a bit of a Foster fan though, so I don't know if it is just me that she draws such empathy from,in this performance.
I loved that film. Jodie Foster, aliens, philosophy, space travel, ghosts & Hitler. And it all made sense at the time too.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The Town

It's got 94% on RT so it's well received but I just feel that no one ever talks about how great the movie actually was.

Babel

This is a masterpiece in my opinion. I love Inarritu's stuff. Just typically well shot and edited.
Anyone who I recommend it to absolutely hates it.

Last edited:

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Dark City.
Not sure if it was well liked by critics or not, but a year after it's release came the Matrix, which of course everyone remembers far more than Dark City. Some similarities in story line, world not being what it seems, dark power controlling humanity, one hero who might be able to save everyone, etc. Visually a great movie, some found it confusing, I found the story pretty easy to follow. Good cast. Rufus Sewell, Keifer Sutherland, Jennifer Connelly, William Hurt, Ian Richardson and Bruce Spence.

Dominic and Eugene.
Actually was well liked by critics I believe but got lost behind the Rain Man hype. Tom Hulce (Pinto in Animal House, Mozart in Amadeus) was fantastic in it, as was Ray Liotta. You get to see Jamie Lee Curtis also, so what's to complain about there. Like Rain Man the plot is pretty straight forward, but an excellent movie all around. Mention Rain Man and many people will know the movie, mention Dominic and Eugene, you get mostly shrugs.

Ice Pirates.
9% favorable on rotten tomatoes. Totally camp, tongue firmly in cheek movie. One might say "It is so bad it's good" but really it is just pure silliness. Turn most of your brain off and just enjoy it.

Last edited:

Bole Top

Irish Shadow Dancer is pretty interesting, even though I'm not really into IRA and all that stuff. I just thinks it's a good movie.

also, Napoleon Dynamite. whenever I recommend it to someone, in most cases it's the first time they've heard about it. imo, it's better than most of those obvious choices you would recommend if someone asked you to name a good comedy.

Space Cowboys. most people probably enjoyed it, actually. I just find it surprising to see movies like these and Armageddon for example having 6.4 on IMDB and 40% on rotten, not that it matters for me. and at the same time, even the most obvious shitty blockbusters today, like John Carter or Tomorrowland, have better ratings on famous movie sites.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Screamers is very underrated for me.

Id also say Tremors does what it does perfectly... and perhaps Fifth Element could be held in higher esteem.

GazTheLegend

Dark City.
Not sure if it was well liked by critics or not, but a year after it's release came the Matrix, which of course everyone remembers far more than Dark City. Some similarities in story line, world not being what it seems, dark power controlling humanity, one hero who might be able to save everyone, etc. Visually a great movie, some found it confusing, I found the story pretty easy to follow. Good cast. Rufus Sewell, Keifer Sutherland, Jennifer Connelly, William Hurt, Ian Richardson and Bruce Spence.
This is probably the best shout I've seen in the thread. Dark City was mind blowing stuff when I saw it for the first time. Very cool film and the acting particularly sticks out. It's not confusing - people are just lazy and dumb so they don't want to have to take a lot in when they watch a film. The matrix did that better by spelling it out for people in bite size chunks, even if it was often in interesting ways (I.E. Morpheus, the Oracle)

Zen

Is there any film mentioned yet that doesn't have 60% or more on RT? Just curious...I mean a lot of good films are just getting mentioned because well they don't get mentioned enough in a great films discussion really I guess.

Grandmas Boy, a classic.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Is there any film mentioned yet that doesn't have 60% or more on RT? Just curious...I mean a lot of good films are just getting mentioned because well they don't get mentioned enough in a great films discussion really I guess.

Grandmas Boy, a classic.
The one film I mentioned, Ice Pirates, has a low rating. It has a 9% on Rotten Tomatoes. :lol:

Sweet Square

Lost River - 30% RT

It's that movie directed by Ryan Gosling, staring the guy from Doctor Who, it's pretty much a try hard rip off Lynch movie but it's under 2 hours, has a great soundtrack and the cinematographer was Benoît Debie(Enter the Void)

gaz1185

Equilibrium - I used to love this film when I was younger. Enjoyable action movie with a hint of 1984 thrown in there, although it did piggyback on the success of The Matrix a little. Might not hold up as well these days, but if you haven't seen it before it's well worth watch.

Interesting that it has a 7.5/10 on IMDB, yet a 38% on RT and 33% on Metacritic.

caid

THX 1138
I think after watching that that George Lucas might be underrated

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Equilibrium - I used to love this film when I was younger. Enjoyable action movie with a hint of 1984 thrown in there, although it did piggyback on the success of The Matrix a little. Might not hold up as well these days, but if you haven't seen it before it's well worth watch.

Interesting that it has a 7.5/10 on IMDB, yet a 38% on RT and 33% on Metacritic.
Came in to mention this too.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The Town

It's got 94% on RT so it's well received but I just feel that no one ever talks about how great the movie actually was.
Never heard of it, looked it up and sounds like something I'll enjoy. Definitely going to watch it at some point :drool:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

Yes, love that film.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Trance (James Mcavoy) doesn't get talked about much but I thought it was excellent.

Oh and I'm a sicker for Tin Cup. My favourite sports movie

Kag

The Town

Great film, this. I think it's comfortably better than Argo, which Affleck received a lot more praise for a little later.

Zen

Tin Cup - classic. Not sure if underrated, but whatever. Thought I'd add my two cents on it being awesome for what it is. The Costner three peat of Sports films are all good.....lets ignore he did For the Love of the Game.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I see you're not a fan! We'll have to agree to disagree on this film as there haven't been many pieces of art (let alone film) that have so elegantly tried to answer the biggest questions of how and why we are here and where could we possibly be going since major organised religions came up with their respective opuses...just my opinion, though.

Anyway, as life is light and shade a couple of underrated ones for me are:

1) (not one for a date, really).

2) (one a friend recommended which I thought I'd hate but was feelgood par excellence...).
Watched Irreversible at a sort-of house party once, where the person who chose it disappeared after about 20mins.

Apart from that car crash of a situation, the sound design is amazing in it.

caid

Watched Irreversible at a sort-of house party once, where the person who chose it disappeared after about 20mins.

Apart from that car crash of a situation, the sound design is amazing in it.
I watched it in similar situation,
it was horrifying

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I've found four little thrillers on Netflix that are great

Green Room - a punk band play a gig at a Nazi show and rebel and piss people off. Featuring Patrick Stewart, Maebe from Arrested development and the Star Trek guy who died.

The Visit - M Night Shamallawhayana directs a good movie about teenagers staying with their weird grandparents. If this come out after Signs it would be very highly rated.

The Gift - Jason Bateman rekindles a friendship with a weird kid from high school. A very strong directorial debut in my favourite thriller of the last five years.

Grabbers - Aliens invade Ireland . The aliens are allergic to alcohol.