Nish Kumar
Russell Brand
Paul Merton
Josh Widdicombe
Jo Brand

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ed Gamble is proper basic. Absolutely zero depth or complexity to his humour, he just seems to say always say the obvious joke that other comedians wouldn’t deem worth saying.
He’s a great foil for James Acaster on the off menu podcast (which I reckon you’d love) but I can well imagine that his stand-would be absolutely wank.

big rons sovereign

I wasnt really a fan of The Office (UK), I preferred the US version.
Ive watched a few of Gervais’ films, yet to change my mind on him. Hes just the shouty-loudly-laughing-British-guy
He was brilliant on the 11 o clock show. It I've found him to be shite after that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I've never known a stand up comic who has always remained funny. They all become stale after the initial period. Newer comics are mindful of this and doing stuff a lot more sporadically and also quitting at the right time. Always better to leave people wanting for more than being dragged off the stage and 99.9% end up as the latter.
Good observation. I think they’re like bands. The first album or two is always the best. As soon as they get famous and develop a massive ego they stop being relatable and have nothing interesting left to say.

Smores

Was initially surprised at the lack of James Corden mentions but it's clearly too obvious a shout. That and people not wanting to think about him long enough to type his name. Apologies then for bringing him up
I think it's more that he's not a comedian really. He's never done stand up or comedy panel shows.

There's definitely a few too many comedians who just do the TV circuit these days who rely on tired gags. It's usually the female comedians too.

Chairman Steve

I used to really like Gervais until around about the time he finished Extras, but ever since his first Golden Globes hosting gigs he’s gone so far up his ass it’s unbelievable. I’ve got the old early 2000s XFM shows he did and that version of Gervais would absolutely take the piss out of current day Gervais.

I still follow him on Twitter for god knows what reason, but hes so unbearable. I swear he actively searches his name on Twitter for something to get offended at and knowingly sick his band of zealots on. Dudes awfully concerned about how people think of him despite saying he doesn’t give a feck.

But he hasnt made me laugh since Extras. I feel like that Lifes Too Short show with Warwick Davis was just him saying “look who I’m friends with!”

LARulz

Lee Evans
Nish Kumar
Russell Brand
Paul Merton
Josh Widdicombe
Jo Brand
Lee Evans I like but can see he's a bit meh. Paul Merton I quite like too, generally quite quick witted

Russell Brand I will defend more so. If based on his talk show/YouTube etc. he can definitely be too much and easily grate. But his stand ups I've really enjoyed. He has the occasional moment where he gets all excitable but otherwise generally quite calm and his jokes are well constructed and funny. He does have a shocking habit of using 100 worlds when 10 is enough but adds to him and can make jokes funnier. I also do think he is good on the spot, a few shows I've been to he engages with the audience and really good at playing off. I like that a lot more than a comedian who is very rigid and is clearly not funny when they have to deal with something unexpected

Tyrion

Josh Widdicombe
Nish Kumar
Rob Beckett

Unfortunately, they're on every damn show I watch. I find it annoying that they roar with laughter at practically every joke and I can hear them over everyone else. Like a pack of overbooked hyenas.

Posh Red

I used to really like Gervais until around about the time he finished Extras, but ever since his first Golden Globes hosting gigs he’s gone so far up his ass it’s unbelievable. I’ve got the old early 2000s XFM shows he did and that version of Gervais would absolutely take the piss out of current day Gervais.

I still follow him on Twitter for god knows what reason, but hes so unbearable. I swear he actively searches his name on Twitter for something to get offended at and knowingly sick his band of zealots on. Dudes awfully concerned about how people think of him despite saying he doesn’t give a feck.

But he hasnt made me laugh since Extras. I feel like that Lifes Too Short show with Warwick Davis was just him saying “look who I’m friends with!”
Agree with this. A shame because his early stuff is some of my favourite stuff on telly.

0le

Aisling Bea - She tells a lot of stories, but I rarely find her funny.

Nish Kumar - He seems genuine enough but he does not make many jokes, just laughs a lot. I always get the impression he is more like a fan who is in awe of the other comedians and just happy to be there.

Jo Brand - I agree with what others have previously said - she just speaks all the time about being overweight and her husband on all the panel shows. It gets stale very quickly.

Susan Calman - She is just forgettable.

Lou Sanders - Just did not really like her on taskmaster. Whether it is her "act" or not to be loud/ over-competitive, it became tiring to watch.

Rosie Jones - Bit like Nish Kumar. Just seems to be in awe of being there and seems excessively happy, without actually being particularly funny.

Sindhu Vee - She seems like a commentator rather than a comedian.

Comedians I like (for good measure):
- Paul Chowdhry
- Romesh Ranganathan (+ Rob Beckett w/ Romesh on "Rob & Romesh Vs")
- David Mitchell
- Richard Ayoade
- James Acaster
- Rhod Gilbert
- Lee Mack
- Robin Williams
- Jim Carrey
- probably some I have forgotten...

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Sindhu Vee had some good material, despite her delivery being shocking. Or at least her first set of material was good. Not sure what she's like recently or if she's even done any more (newer) stand up.

Agent Red

Aisling Bea - She tells a lot of stories, but I rarely find her funny.

Nish Kumar - He seems genuine enough but he does not make many jokes, just laughs a lot. I always get the impression he is more like a fan who is in awe of the other comedians and just happy to be there.

Jo Brand - I agree with what others have previously said - she just speaks all the time about being overweight and her husband on all the panel shows. It gets stale very quickly.

Susan Calman - She is just forgettable.

Lou Sanders - Just did not really like her on taskmaster. Whether it is her "act" or not to be loud/ over-competitive, it became tiring to watch.

Rosie Jones - Bit like Nish Kumar. Just seems to be in awe of being there and seems excessively happy, without actually being particularly funny.

Comedians I like (for good measure):
- Paul Chowdhry
- Romesh Ranganathan (+ Rob Beckett w/ Romesh on "Rob & Romesh Vs")
- David Mitchell
- Richard Ayoade
- James Acaster
- Rhod Gilbert
- Lee Mack
- Robin Williams
- Jim Carrey
- probably some I have forgotten...
There's quite a trend to your lists

Agent Red

Which is what? The thread asked for unfunny comedians and I literally named comedians which I found not to be funny...
The ones you find unfunny are all women, bar Nish Kumar. The ones you find funny are all men.

I agree with some of the picks you've made in both columns, but think there are lots of good female comics who get overlooked in these conversations whereas weaker ones get a lot of mentions.

0le

The ones you find unfunny are all women, bar Nish Kumar. The ones you find funny are all men.

I agree with some of the picks you've made in both columns, but think there are lots of good female comics who get overlooked in these conversations whereas weaker ones get a lot of mentions.
Sorry, I was not aware that there was a quota to fill to demonstrate that I was not sexist. :rolleyes:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
@Agent Red which female comedians are funny?

EDIT - realised there’s no way of wording this well. I meant it as a genuine ‘tell me because I haven seen any yet and believe there are some out there’ as opposed to ‘they can’t be funny’.

Sweet Square

EDIT - realised there’s no way of wording this well. I meant it as a genuine ‘tell me because I haven seen any yet and believe there are some out there’ as opposed to ‘they can’t be funny’.
Just a few I can think of

Victoria Wood
Joan Rivers
Wanda Sykes
Sandra Bernhard
Tig Notaro
Janeane Garofalo
Bridget Christie
Margaret Cho
Roseanne Barr
Lauren Lapkus
Whoopi Goldberg

diarm

Someone being unkind might suggest there's a link between men who struggle to relate to women, and men who don't find them funny.

I reckon Aisling Bea, Ellie Taylor, Kerry Goldliman, Nina Conti, Shappi Korshandi, Roisin Conaty, Morgana Robinson, Katherine Ryan, Daisy May Cooper, Lou Sanders and Sarah Millican are all very funny. There are certainly far more male comedians I absolutely hate than there are female ones.

Trequarista10

Good shout. Most names in this thread are obviously good at what they do but people will have different tastes. Sindhu however is one of few who I genuinely can't fathom how or why she is comedian. Granted I've only seen on panel shows and quiz shows, but I don't think I've ever seen her make a joke, or a witty comment, or even laugh.

Eriku

So many… though having tried my hand onstage myself, even a lot of shitty comics definitely have some hard-earned skills that you can’t sneeze at. Stewart Lee says for all the grief he gives McIntyre in his comedy, he has to acknowledge that he’s got skill.

Gervais is a good shout for me. Has enoooormous profile, but seems to have gained a bigger stand-up profile than he deserves solely because he’s huge due to TV shows. Probably gets harder to create good material as people are so primed to laugh if they recognise and like you to begin with. Poor sod can’t get accurate feedback.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

This prick.

I didn't type his name because most people who aren't from Ireland will be fortunate enough never to have heard of him.

If you do come across him, steer clear. He somehow has both less talent and more self confidence than James Corden.
I saw him live and he's very good

Sarah Millican
Miranda Hart
Paddy Mcguinness
Jason Manford

All dreadful

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Miranda Hart - her show was cringe worthy and predictable
Lilly Singh
Sarah Mcmillian
Lee Evans
Kevin Hart

99% of American comedians.

Agent Red

Sorry, I was not aware that there was a quota to fill to demonstrate that I was not sexist. :rolleyes:
There’s no quota. I just found it remarkable that your lists were almost entirely split that way and wasn’t sure if you’d even realised.

Ones I like personally: Sharon Horgan, Diane Morgan, Julia Davies, all of the cast of ‘Getting On’ or ‘Smack the Pony’, Victoria Wood, Jennifer Saunders, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler.

Obviously comedy is subjective but I do always find it surprising when these discussions happen how many people categorically state women aren’t funny or there are no female comedians they like (this comment isn’t aimed at Ole because he didn’t do either of those things) when I think there is such a broad spectrum of female comics and so should in theory be something for everyone, same as with male comics.