Television Unfunny comedians

Rooney24

Precisely. Any Female Comedian. Meaning to be clear, any female comedian that I have seen.

Not any female in the entire world. Im sure you see the difference.

lsd

The Oracle
Almost every Irish comedian

I would argue but then again I can think of a lot of very unfunny Irish comedians now you mentioned it.

Still Dara and Ed can pull us back into respectable territory.

I would put Jason Manford, Paddy McGuinness, Mickey Flanagan and Russell Howard as really unfunny comedians

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Precisely. Any Female Comedian. Meaning to be clear, any female comedian that I have seen.

Not any female in the entire world. Im sure you see the difference.
That makes it ok then. Definitely not misogynistic.

Chairman Steve

Has anyone said Jack Whitehall yet? The fact that motherfecker was gifted the title ‘King of Comedy’ three years in a row at the British Comedy Awards is some sad shit.

ravi2

Jo Brand
Jim Carrey (though I rate him as an actor actually)
Robin Williams (see comment above about Carrey)
Jerry Seinfeld
Kevin Hart
Noam Macdonald (though he has his moments)

I am sure the list above is some sort of blasphemy.
Norm Macdonald is one of the greatest comedians of all time.
R.I.P Norm

Agent Red

I think it's just the personality types and upbringings that tend to generate stand up comedians sit more with men than women. I used to go to loads of amateur comedy shows and female acts really are a rarity so it's no surprise the ones about aren't exactly amazing.

As you say in writing and acting there's not much of a difference.
Yeah I think there’s some truth to that. Plus as a medium it’s probably the most exposing and requires the most up front confidence, so I imagine that puts more women off than men and the female comics are more likely to choose the writing/acting route instead.

On my own list I never got the rage about Lee Evans, who seemed massive at one point.

Tarrou

there's loads of British comedians that are kinda shit

Michael McIntyre
Lee Evans
Corden
Jack Whitehall
Lenny Henry
Russell Howard
Keith Lemon
Lee Mack
Al Murray
Dawn French
John Bishop

most of the ones that do well on television are shite, it seems

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Implying that I would have an issue with black comedians simply on the grounds they are black, which is in turn implying racism. Which is quite frankly out of order.
He really didn't. He was using a hypothetical group that could have been called unfunny to point out that you being misogynist by labelling 50% of the world unfunny based merely on their gender.

Rooney24

He really didn't. He was using a hypothetical group that could have been called unfunny to point out that you being misogynist by labelling 50% of the world unfunny based merely on their gender.
well I could imply you are being sexist by assuming the poster is a “He”:)

guess that doesn’t fit though.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
well I could imply you are being sexist by assuming the poster is a “He”:)

guess that doesn’t fit though.
I'm fairly sure I knew I was using the correct pronoun from reading the Dating a transexual thread. Of course I'm sure I've made that assumption on here before without evidence.

Rooney24

I'm fairly sure I knew I was using the correct pronoun from reading the Dating a transexual thread. Of course I'm sure I've made that assumption on here before without evidence.
well to take you up on another point I didn’t say 50% of the world were unfunny based on gender either as you have stated. Unless 50% of the world are in fact female comedians ??

and to go further than that I didn’t even say all women aren’t funny. I said any female comedian (a very very minuscule group of people) which probably make up far far less than 1% of the entire female population on the planet.

yet I’m infracted and labeled misogynistic. :lol::lol::lol:

Actually nonsense now we have discussed it

Pickle85

The only thing I know him from is There Is Something About Mary. Was he ever a good standup?
If extremely sweaty, shouty people doing nothing but mug at the camera with their rubbery face is your thing, he's a laugh riot.

I also find Rhod Gilbert's shtick v annoying.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The only thing I know him from is There Is Something About Mary. Was he ever a good standup?
No. His jokes were weak, so he had to supplement them by doing this:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
well to take you up on another point I didn’t say 50% of the world were unfunny based on gender either as you have stated. Unless 50% of the world are in fact female comedians ??

and to go further than that I didn’t even say all women aren’t funny. I said any female comedian (a very very minuscule group of people) which probably make up far far less than 1% of the entire female population on the planet.

yet I’m infracted and labeled misogynistic. :lol::lol::lol:

Actually nonsense now we have discussed it
You were infracted for making a sexist comment. If you meant something else you should have said something else.

Rooney24

You were infracted for making a sexist comment. If you meant something else you should have said something else.
likewise. I’m sure you didn’t mean to say I labeled 50% of the world unfunny based on gender. Because clearly I didn’t.

so yeah, if you meant something else you should have said something else.

Pickle85

likewise. I’m sure you didn’t mean to say I labeled 50% of the world unfunny based on gender. Because clearly I didn’t.

so yeah, if you meant something else you should have said something else.
Dude, I feel like you're fighting a losing battle here. Surely you can see how saying 'women comedians aren't funny' is sexist? If you replaced 'women' with 'black' ask yourself whether that would be acceptable. If not, then I think you have your answer.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Don’t mean to sound sexist but most women comedians.
I’m not sure why this would be but I am actually struggling to think of many female comedians that are genuinely funny. I can only really think of a couple of old ones - Victoria Wood (RIP) and maybe French / Saunders. I’m probably forgetting someone.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This is what you said.
Any female comedian.

And I don't even care who's offended. They are just plainly not funny.
Imagine if you had said

Any black footballer.

And I don't even care who's offended. They are just plainly no good at football.
Or

Any gay taxi driver.

And I don't even care who's offended. They are just rubbish drivers.
When you name a large group of people and ascribe characteristics to them based not on skill/ability but on their race/colour/sex/sexual preference or identity then that statement is racist/sexist/homophobic/whatever. If you aren't and you meant to say something else then say something else.

Last edited:

Pickle85

I’m not sure why this would be but I am actually struggling to think of many female comedians that are genuinely funny. I can only really think of a couple of old ones - Victoria Wood (RIP) and maybe French / Saunders. I’m probably forgetting someone.
I also think that this is probably (and apologies if I'm reading your gender identity wrong) because you're a man and you identify more easily with male comedians. I do too, but I would never just state that women comedians aren't funny.

Stevondo8

Is there a need to distinguish between comedians on panel shows and comedians doing stand up? There’s plenty who are ok and have their moments on panel shows, but I’d never pay money to watch them do stand up.

I guess in a similar way to bands having a decent song or two on an album, doesn’t mean I’d go to a gig though.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is what you said.

Imagine if you had said

Or

When you name a large group of people and ascribe characteristics to them based not on skill/ability but on their race/colour/sex/sexualising then that statement is racist/sexist/homophobic. If you aren't and you meant to say something else then say something else.
Saying you don't care who it offends and then getting offended about the fact other people didn't like your sexist opinion. :lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Saying you don't care who it offends and then getting offended about the fact other people didn't like your sexist opinion. :lol:
I'm not even sure anyone was actually offended by the comment but rathet merely pointed out that it was problematic.

Rooney24

I’m not offended. Far from it.

If I would have been offended it would have been at the post that said “Irish comedians” as I’m Irish. But as it was I just thought to myself oh there’s a poster doesn’t like Irish comedians and moved on.

what I’m surprised about is that people are taking one thing I said about one small minuscule section of the population of the world and extrapolating it into other scenarios with lines like “imagine if you had said this….”

yeah, imagine. Fact is I didn’t. You can’t just judge one person as guilty for one thing they said and apply it to every other area of society. That is clearly unfair.

at a push I have offended female comedians. Not the entire population of females on the planet. But as they are female comedians I’m entirely sure they would laugh it off :)

more so surprised that it is a Mod on here that is extrapolating in such a manner.

0le

Just a few I can think of

Victoria Wood
Joan Rivers
Wanda Sykes
Sandra Bernhard
Tig Notaro
Janeane Garofalo
Bridget Christie
Margaret Cho
Roseanne Barr
Lauren Lapkus
Whoopi Goldberg
There’s no quota. I just found it remarkable that your lists were almost entirely split that way and wasn’t sure if you’d even realised.

Ones I like personally: Sharon Horgan, Diane Morgan, Julia Davies, all of the cast of ‘Getting On’ or ‘Smack the Pony’, Victoria Wood, Jennifer Saunders, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler.

Obviously comedy is subjective but I do always find it surprising when these discussions happen how many people categorically state women aren’t funny or there are no female comedians they like (this comment isn’t aimed at Ole because he didn’t do either of those things) when I think there is such a broad spectrum of female comics and so should in theory be something for everyone, same as with male comics.
I have never heard of most of those comedians by name (in both quotes) except Goldberg and Morgan. I only mentioned Robin Williams and Jim Carrey (predominantly actors now) in my list because someone mentioned earlier that they did not like them, so I wanted to say that I liked them.

I would not personally label Goldberg as a comedian, more just an actor, but I am not sure. Yeah, I don't mind her as an actor. I have only watched Morgan in her appearances in WILTY (Would I lie to You) but I don't recall having any strong opinion either way. I have Googled the others and only Rivers seems familiar and again I think it is probably from an acting role.

That list I made of comedians that I like featured people I have 1) watched on TV and 2) looked up on YouTube for more clips (this includes Williams and Carrey). The only female comedians that really ring a bell that I like are Toksvig and Victoria Cohen Mitchell. But I have never bothered to look for more of their content on YouTube.

I think that is partly because they are nowadays more presenters/ hosts. For a similar reason, I did not put Jimmy Carr in the list I dislike because he is now also more of a host. I think being a host is probably pretty difficult because you may have to come up with your own jokes, read pre-produced jokes made for you and provide a platform for other comedians to build upon.

EDIT: As an example, whilst I think QI is becoming a bit stale, Toksvig I think has been a brilliant host and makes it more enjoyable to watch rather than Fry in the latter series.

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Definitely Tom Allen,
Rosie Jones
Adam Hills
Katherine Ryan
Is Katherine Ryan the one who never appears to get any joke and does a awkward laugh pretending she understands it on 8 out of 10 cats?

Then she tries to do a joke and it falls flat everytime after a 3 minute setup and a shit punchline?