United’s next manager

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why is a penalty so different to other chances created? If Pogba doesn't get brought down against Wolves... there is every chance he scores. McTominay was bursting into the Palace box towards goal when he was brought down against Palace... Martial deserved a penalty in that same match when he was pulled down and again, there is every chance he scores if he wasn't fouled.
Cause we are Manchester United. We should be creating ample chances most of whom should be converted into goals. Instead we are hoping that Ole's men do just enough to earn a penalty and score a goal, something Ole’s men are failing to deliver

ZupZup

Cause we are Manchester United. We should be creating ample chances most of whom should be converted into goals. Instead we are hoping that Ole's men do just enough to earn a penalty and score a goal, something Ole’s men are failing to deliver
No, your point is just stupid. You can create a great chance and get fouled when you are about to shoot... and by your logic, you may as well have not created the chance because penalties don't count as chances created for some reason.

It's not about doing just enough to earn a penalty. It's usually good play that wins a penalty and in many cases, it's no different to creating any other chance. Usually players give away penalties (intentionally or otherwise) in an attempt to stop the other team scoring.

Judas

Open to offers
Out of curiosity, how well do you think Guardiola or Klopp would have done here when control of transfers & budgets are in the hands of Woodward & the Glazers?
Just one glance at City's squad, how many of those players would we have failed to sign..?
We'd still be in a better position due to the quality of their coaching and their overall approach. But we'd clearly have suffered to due to the way the club is run behind the scenes. Think we'd have struggled more with Pep oddly enough, just because he really needs a team to be in his exact image, and it doesn't come cheap. We've spent pretty similarly to Liverpool recently, and the difference between us is huge.

devilish

No, your point is just stupid. You can create a great chance and get fouled when you are about to shoot... and by your logic, you may as well have not created the chance because penalties don't count as chances created for some reason.

It's not about doing just enough to earn a penalty. It's usually good play that wins a penalty and in many cases, it's no different to creating any other chance. Usually players give away penalties (intentionally or otherwise) in an attempt to stop the other team scoring.
We are trying to scrap some points with half chances and penalties. That's not good enough.

Ole’s team has been dire since he became permanent manager. Previously to that his only experience with a decent club ended in misery as well. This guy thought he would be competitive by dismantling a side and speak about fitness and kids. He keeps insisting on Welbeck v2 for goals and freekicks

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

Out of curiosity, how well do you think Guardiola or Klopp would have done here when control of transfers & budgets are in the hands of Woodward & the Glazers?
Just one glance at City's squad, how many of those players would we have failed to sign..?
We could have signed and afford any player that Liverpool have bought since Klopp took over, the difference is he had a plan and style he wanted to play from the very beginning. Mourinho had a plan but it was a very expensive plan of buying ready made players. Once some of those signings didn't work out we were unable to fix the issues in our squad.

City is a special case I doubt the salaries the players are shown to be on is true. We already know they paid Mancini two salaries when he was manager.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yea if these bottlers keep missing penalties sure! Hope Ole make's everyone eat their words!
1 clean sheet in 20 odd games too don't forget.

Why can't fans face the fact he's a poor inexperienced manager. Would any other of the so called elite clubs want him as their manager? Nope.

ILC

Another defensive Jose type manager, no thank you. He'll come in get rid of everyone buy a bunch of expensive mercs again, not make top 4, get sacked and we're back to square one. Rinse and repeat for the next 100 years! Great idea..
People really have no clue what kind of manager Allegri is...

downunder red

I like the way we are playing at the moment. With this squad i think he's doing a great job. Better than the boring crap of the last 5 years. Just leave him alone and give him some time.
No other manager is going to do much better.

romufc

Yea if these bottlers keep missing penalties sure! Hope Ole make's everyone eat their words!
This is exactly what I am hoping for. I would love to see us get top 4 just to see what 70% of the Caf thinks then.

Gone are the days we were battling rival fans, we are now up against our own fans.

Enigma_87

You know who
This is exactly what I am hoping for. I would love to see us get top 4 just to see what 70% of the Caf thinks then.

Gone are the days we were battling rival fans, we are now up against our own fans.
On the contrary. Getting a better coach and manager early will help us get a shot at top 4 this year. When it's too late and we fell down in the league sacking him in December would not do much to our season.

4 games into the season we're 7 points behind the leaders, having played Soton, Wolves away and Palace at home. Let's that sink in for a minute.

romufc

On the contrary. Getting a better coach and manager early will help us get a shot at top 4 this year. When it's too late and we fell down in the league sacking him in December would not do much to our season.

4 games into the season we're 7 points behind the leaders, having played Soton, Wolves away and Palace at home. Let's that sink in for a minute.
So you want to throw the whole pre season out the window because we are 7 points from the leaders? who we are not targetting? So are you saying any other manager we would be top of the league?

Enigma_87

You know who
So you want to throw the whole pre season out the window because we are 7 points from the leaders? who we are not targetting? So are you saying any other manager we would be top of the league?
I'm saying that on the basis of what I've saw the last 9 months or so, on the basis of the lack of track record of turning things around and the lack of basic managerial skills and short squad it is more likely the bad form to continue rather than to improve.

A more experienced manager and better coach is more likely to get more of the current crop and achieve better results in the long run, quite possibly also shoot for top 4 spot, considering the woeful form Spurs are and the problems Chelsea/Arsenal will have.

ICHM

No matter who the manager is, some people just like to change as it's not good enough. I remember people wanting SAF out.

Leave Ole alone and support him, he has until the end of next season for me to see if he can get there.

romufc

I'm saying that on the basis of what I've saw the last 9 months or so, on the basis of the lack of track record of turning things around and the lack of basic managerial skills and short squad it is more likely the bad form to continue rather than to improve.

A more experienced manager and better coach is more likely to get more of the current crop and achieve better results in the long run, quite possibly also shoot for top 4 spot, considering the woeful form Spurs are and the problems Chelsea/Arsenal will have.

Yes a very much lack of managerial skills? He managed in Molde and won titles? Yeah he has shown no managerial skills.

Yeah Jose had the same group but was where in the league?

The grass isn't always greener mate.

I do not think Ole is the man for long term success but as things stand he is the man for the job.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes a very much lack of managerial skills? He managed in Molde and won titles? Yeah he has shown no managerial skills.

Yeah Jose had the same group but was where in the league?

The grass isn't always greener mate.

I do not think Ole is the man for long term success but as things stand he is the man for the job.
He won titles in his first years at Molde. He hasn't won a title since 2012 and the cup since 2013. Even managed to finish 5th in his second stint.

Currently some random noname Erling Moe has them top of the table with 10 games to go.

Managing Molde and United is whole different kettle. He has managerial skills to manage an inferior team in Norway obviously but not one in the top leagues and for many is very visible since his stint at Cardiff.

Even since he relegated Cardiff he wasn't even able to reach the past success in Norway, let alone being up to par to the expectations here and top 4 finish.

Jose was 2nd with the same group. He was 6th mid season - not exactly finishing position and as said being 6th can be down to multiple factors one of the main of which was that he turned into a cnut mode and fell with the board, players and supporters.

Perfectly ok with him being given a technical role, but manager?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Whoever it is I'd like someone a bit nutty in press conferences. Just for a laugh if nothing else :lol:

Someone who passionately talks about tactics and sounds more knowledgeable than giving key words in a presser would be great.

The kosovo manager cracked me up today, not saying I want him obviously but I liked watching this (and agree with him)

romufc

He won titles in his first years at Molde. He hasn't won a title since 2012 and the cup since 2013. Even managed to finish 5th in his second stint.

Currently some random noname Erling Moe has them top of the table with 10 games to go.

Managing Molde and United is whole different kettle. He has managerial skills to manage an inferior team in Norway obviously but not one in the top leagues and for many is very visible since his stint at Cardiff.

Even since he relegated Cardiff he wasn't even able to reach the past success in Norway, let alone being up to par to the expectations here and top 4 finish.

Jose was 2nd with the same group. He was 6th mid season - not exactly finishing position and as said being 6th can be down to multiple factors one of the main of which was that he turned into a cnut mode and fell with the board, players and supporters.

Perfectly ok with him being given a technical role, but manager?

I agree he has no pedigree as a manager.

Is the the man I want in charge ? No? Do I think he will bring us success? No.

However; I do not think a managerial change at this time is not what we need given the state of the board.

I would rather sort the board level issues out before managerial.

devilish

I agree he has no pedigree as a manager.

Is the the man I want in charge ? No? Do I think he will bring us success? No.

However; I do not think a managerial change at this time is not what we need given the state of the board.

I would rather sort the board level issues out before managerial.
If Ole is to tank then I hope it tanks so badly that it will take Woodward, the Glazers and the former players romantic attitude towards management with it.

Then we can start introducing some meritocracy back to United

El Zoido

It’s difficult to say who the next manger will be because we don’t know who will be available in 20 years once Ole retires.

passing-wind

Nagglesman / Tuchel.

I think it's more realistic to think of a new manager for the club than it is for Ole to be here in two years time. That already speaks volumes about the desperation of the situation we are currently in.

Champagne Football

I think Ole should be given till summer of 2021 to have developed and integrated Garner and Greenwood into the first XI, while hopefully bringing in Longstaff/Maddison/Sancho etc to fix the holes in the team.

If by 2021 there's no CL, then right now Marco Rose looks like a good bet. Pochettino will probably feck off to Madrid or Barca by then.

AaronRedDevil

I think Ole should be given till summer of 2021 to have developed and integrated Garner and Greenwood into the first XI, while hopefully bringing in Longstaff/Maddison/Sancho etc to fix the holes in the team.

If by 2021 there's no CL, then right now Marco Rose looks like a good bet. Pochettino will probably feck off to Madrid or Barca by then.
God I hope he last that long. We need to hold on to him for a while. It's always going to get ugly before its gets good. The more mangers we go through, the worse its gonna get.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
God I hope he last that long. We need to hold on to him for a while. It's always going to get ugly before its gets good. The more mangers we go through, the worse its gonna get.
Is it? What if we got the next Pep tomorrow? That would leave us worse off?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
w
Is it? What if we got the next Pep tomorrow? That would leave us worse off?
who is the next Pep?

If its not Pep then it matters not a Jot. Pep has the halo - the next pep doesnt have the halo.
He will just be the person trying to be the next pep

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
w

who is the next Pep?

If its not Pep then it matters not a Jot. Pep has the halo - the next pep doesnt have the halo.
He will just be the person trying to be the next pep
Yes becuase he's the only good manager to have ever existed.

AaronRedDevil

Yes becuase he's the only good manager to have ever existed.
Today he is. Who will you pick to replace? Every manger that exist today are all just relying on hope that they work out for united. Erik tan hag, Simone, nagglesman, koeman, Poch etc. Only managers out there now that might be less of a gamble are Tuchel or Allegri. Mangers that have won trophies.

Roboc7

Ole goes during the season I have no doubt so I expect another interim possibly as our next manager.

Allegri would seem most likely candidate as a permanent manager as he is unemployed which is first prerequisite for us but how he’d cope without any kind of structure above him would be huge concern. It’s not like being manager of Juventus and I see that being a huge problem for whoever we employ.

Ziggy Starduster

As much as I don't think Ole is suitably qualified to manage United, I don't think there are managers out there who can get much more out of this side. It's such a thin squad regarding quality, it needs much work to improve. What is a new manager going to achieve with it? More clear cut chances maybe, but how? Our midfield is woeful.
A new manager isn't the answer, I think throwing money at the situation in January is our only hope of changing the situation and trying to avoid a bottom half finish.
Discracefully ran club.

Mainoldo

Today he is. Who will you pick to replace? Every manger that exist today are all just relying on hope that they work out for united. Erik tan hag, Simone, nagglesman, koeman, Poch etc. Only managers out there now that might be less of a gamble are Tuchel or Allegri. Mangers that have won trophies.
So when Mourinho got sacked your first choice was Solskjaer? No it wasn't, just like with players there is a hierarchy. You can't stick with Ashley Young at right back because he know's the United way and might play better eventually. So i don't know why we persist with believing a low level manager is going to get it right.

Mainoldo

As much as I don't think Ole is suitably qualified to manage United, I don't think there are managers out there who can get much more out of this side. It's such a thin squad regarding quality, it needs much work to improve. What is a new manager going to achieve with it? More clear cut chances maybe, but how? Our midfield is woeful.
A new manager isn't the answer, I think throwing money at the situation in January is our only hope of changing the situation and trying to avoid a bottom half finish.
Discracefully ran club.
New managers are allowed to bring in new player, new coaching staff and apply new philosophies. You do know that right.

AaronRedDevil

So when Mourinho got sacked your first choice was Solskjaer? No it wasn't, just like with players there is a hierarchy. You can't stick with Ashley Young at right back because he know's the United way and might play better eventually. So i don't know why we persist with believing a low level manager is going to get it right.
We have no players! ANY manager would struggle with this squad. Even pep.

R'hllor

If i remember correctly, OGS wasnt even on the bloody list of potential replacement people could vote for. It reminds me of Lamina case, nobody ever mentioned him here as good player, good option etc. Some rumor started linking him with us and you see wave of people with "good option, makes sense..." and all that bullshit, youtube video of his highlights, actually scratch that, moron posted himself that on his twitter.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don't really think there would be any point changing the manager at this point. A new manager would still be dealing with this squad. He might be more tactical astute. We have to just hope Ole can pull it round and things go our way at times.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Don't really think there would be any point changing the manager at this point. A new manager would still be dealing with this squad. He might be more tactical astute. We have to just hope Ole can pull it round and things go our way at times.
Tactically astute is exactly what we need now. We are all over the place. Cant play as a team.

Red Royal

This is a distasteful thread. We should all be behind Ole and give him at least this season. Klopp and even Guardiola didnt transform their squads overnight.

Mainoldo

We have no players! ANY manager would struggle with this squad. Even pep.
No he wouldn’t. Pep will manage like he normally does. Then in the transfer windows he will instruct the board to get him his players. We would know his formation and style.