United’s next manager

cyril C

My problem with people who have so definitive views is that you are cannot consider that you are not 100% right. For example, does decent football mean you are more likely to win games? If you win games, does that mean you decent football? The answer to both of these is no.
Liverpool win games playing in a non decent football way. But they are all buying into a clear plan. Press high, attack quickly. And they have been extremely lucky enough to only need 15 players for more than two seasons now. City win game by playing decent football but they also have 22 players that would make any other squad in the league. And they all fit the system / plan. Barcelona and Real have had a plan / system over the years. This year not so much, but there is still a plan. Its why i cant see SPurs / Arsenal winning things, they dont really have a plan. A short term idea probably, but not a plan.
Ole has a plan to pick players who want to fit the system, who want to be at United, and on the field, be defensively solid then attack quickly and when against a low block, be patient and creative. You would think that a target #9, a AM and a DM that come into the starting 11 and this team will look so much better.
You say Ole has a plan to pick players, I can buy into this. But does he has a plan to play i.e. tactics, other than relying on counter-attack? Does he has any plan in breaking down a bus? Every goals we have scored this season, were coming from mistakes of opponent, either by losing ball possession in MF hence our counter-attack, or gifting penalty to us on our counter-attack. Players don't know how to move, only way to pass the ball is directly between defender and hope for luck. And last of all, what is our Plan B? I credit him for recruiting the right players but you need tactics and game plan, which we are 1 trick pony.

RedNed77

Maybe just stick with Ole and see how it goes.

But, If we really, really, really have to get rid of Ole, then get Wenger in til the end of the season (assuming he'd give it a go) AND THIS TIME DO NOT GIVE THE CARETAKER THE JOB MIDWAY THROUGH HIS STINT LIKE WE DID WITH OLE.

We can do what we were supposed to do last time and take some time to identify exactly who we want and get him to look at our side and provide a list of players he would like us to start working on ready for the summer transfer window. If said manager says he needs 6 months in situ working with Lingard, Young and Jones to see if they're worth keeping, move onto the next guy as said manager is clearly a fecking idiot.

George The Best

Literally we have tried everything except the German "hipster" route and funny enough two of the best up and coming coaches in world football are in Nagelsmann and Marco Rose, who prior to us sacking Mourinho I said would be an outstanding choice to take over at United and my opinion has not changed with his Monchengladbach side top of the Bundesliga.

Saying that I'd be happy with literally anyone, even Rodgers would have a style that would get us playing some sort of football even though he's a tosser but he knows how to coach a side.
If he could persuade his DoF and a few coaches to come with him that would not be a bad move imo.

We must get out of the mindset of only looking at the out of work management pool. It’s time to bite the bullet and accept that the right person is going to cost us money to prise them out of their current role, whoever that is.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I’m starting to think Allegri might be the best option. He’s had a break from the game and his stock is high, he would be able to manage the hodge-pudge of a squad and maybe win the Europa if he was to come in now. I don’t think it would be the prettiest football, but it’s certainly going to improve on what OGS is doing.

He’ll still need a recruitment guy to help him out, still no sign of that though, is there?

Cinco Estrellas

First ever post so be gentle as I’m coming to terms with this technology stuff! My first United game was Juventus in October 76- Gentile, Tardelli & Benetti. I’ve seen a lot come and go, good and bad - and indifferent, players and managers. I’m not saying OGS should or shouldn’t be replaced but I’ve searched this thread and could find no mention of Arteta although my keyboard skills (or lack of them) may have missed it.
Young coach, seemingly well rated and schooled through Wenger and Pep.

Reactions: Penna

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
First ever post so be gentle as I’m coming to terms with this technology stuff! My first United game was Juventus in October 76- Gentile, Tardelli & Benetti. I’ve seen a lot come and go, good and bad - and indifferent, players and managers. I’m not saying OGS should or shouldn’t be replaced but I’ve searched this thread and could find no mention of Arteta although my keyboard skills (or lack of them) may have missed it.
Young coach, seemingly well rated and schooled through Wenger and Pep.
Bloody hell, it took you a while considering you joined in 2013!

Roboc7

Nagelsmann wont go near United and United wont go near Nagelsmann .
I agree I doubt he’d even get a mention at Utd, neither would Rose. The obvious candidate is Allegri, even if Poch was to be available I think he’d need a break after what’s happening at Spurs.

I’ve dismissed him in past but in some ways I’d give Eddie Howe a go. Plays good football, works with young players and seems to improve players. Those are qualities we need more than someone who is a winner at this stage. We need someone who can get us playing in a system and have patterns of play etc.

Hawks2008

Heard good things about Rose from his time at Salzburg and has seemingly got off to a strong start in Germany, but I've never seen one of his sides play. Anyone care to shed some light on him and his style for me?

IFC 1905

I'd try to get Gallardo although he doesn't speak english I think.

But its now when it's easier to do it

I just read that Barcelona is after him too. Considering Messi voted him between top 3 managers in the world for The Best and that Guardiola said recently he doens't understand how Gallardo hasn't been one of the Nominees this whole time, we can just accept he'll end up there and aim at Allegri

Poch at Spurs looks by far the likeliest candidate. Spurs have huge problems of their own and perhaps his tenure is coming to an end, so the timing may be right.

wolvored

Has C.Ronaldo ever said anything about him looking into management at some point?
Now there’s a guy who could inspire a group of players and a team to real greatness just with his aura determination, winning mentality and work ethic, regardless of his experience in coaching (he was a bit of an assistant in that Euro final from the touchline wasn’t he?).

Cristiano Ronaldo, manager of Manchester United, the third manager to bring the European cup to Old trafford.
Sounds lovely isn’t it?
Could be worse than Ole as well. A great player dont always make a good manager. Charlton Robson and Hughes attest to that.

Kamprad

If Graham Potter does a good job this season I’d consider hiring him.

From the article x

For Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, life at Old Trafford is tough. Sunday's 1-0 defeat to lowly Newcastle means it is just three wins out of 11 this season and their current league points tally of nine from their opening eight games is their worst-ever at this stage of a Premier League campaign, worse even than the 11 managed by David Moyes in the 2013-2014 season.

Where once fans rejoiced proudly in the fact of 'Ole at the wheel' - he won 32 points in his opening 12 Premier League games, the most of any manager in their first dozen games in the competition at a single club - United's boss now finds that same taunt flipped on its head, the subject of memes and gifs mocking his seemingly directionless team.

On the pitch, Manchester United's league form since April 2019 has been terrible, with just 14 points from 15 games, which is only more than three other ever-present Premier League clubs in this period: Southampton (13), Brighton (12) and Watford (10). In comparison, rivals Liverpool - who they face next - have won 42 points since the start of April, three times as many as United, despite playing one game less.

The club insist the manager will be given time to try and turn things around and that his job is not in danger. But with patience not always forthcoming in football, we take a look at some of those being tipped to take over - and some longer shots.

Mauricio Pochettino

Odds: 5/2
Current team: Tottenham

A name regularly linked with Manchester United, including last season before Solskjaer got the nod. And with Mauricio Pochettino and Tottenham going through arguably the bumpiest patch of their five-year plus relationship, the pieces of the puzzle could finally fit together.

How events unfold in north London over the coming months may also mean United not having to pay a hefty compensation fee either.

Massimiliano Allegri
Odds: 6/1
Current team: Unattached
A free agent since after Juventus in the summer, Massimiliano Allegri has made a habit out of winning league titles in Serie A and his time in charge of Juve from 2014 to 2019 yielded a trophy in every one of the five seasons.

Has reportedly been brushing up on his grasp of the English language as he eyes a job in the Premier League - in what will represent his first big test outside of his homeland.

Understood not to be keen on taking a job mid-season, meaning United would have to wait. But that may suit them as they draw up a shortlist for in case Solskjaer is eventually shuffled out the exit door.

Brendan Rodgers
Odds: 15/2
Current team: Leicester City
Brendan Rodgers name features highly among the bookies, although the fact he managed arch-rivals Liverpool and almost ended their barren run of no league titles discounts him somewhat.

However it is better results and performances on the field which United fans are craving and Rodgers has demonstrated at Liverpool, Celtic and now most notably at Leicester City that he can deliver both. His expertise on bringing through young players would also chime with United and their blueprint. But actually, would he want to leave an upwardly-moving club, with arguably a better squad, for a team in the doldrums?

Laurent Blanc
Odds: 12/1
Another name to have been linked to Old Trafford on several occasions, including to replace Jose Mourinho before Solskjaer stepped in.
Would be expected to understand the 'Manchester United way' having played for two years under Sir Alex Ferguson and has experience of dealing with explosive personalities such as Zlatan Ibrahmiovic at Paris Saint Germain. Could also help bring the best out of fellow Frenchman Paul Pogba.

Erik Ten Hag
Odds: 12/1
Current team: Ajax
Saw his stock rise massively last season by leading Ajax to the semi-finals of the Champions League and bloodying a few noses along the way. His smooth, attack minded approach to football would be music to the ears of United supporters and he played a pivotal role in bringing through the likes of Frenkie De Jong.

Signed a new contract extension until 2022 but when has that ever stopped deep-pocketed United before? The other sticking point could be relative inexperience, especially after the Solskjaer experiment appears to heading south.

Arsene Wenger
Odds: 14/1
Out of management since the 2017/2018 season after bringing an end to 22 years with Arsenal, Arsene Wenger has revealed he still has a desire for coaching, despite being 69 years young, and has recently even been offering up free public tidbits on why he thinks compatriot Pogba is struggling at United.

His coaching experience is a no-brainer but Wenger spent decades stoking the flames of the United-Arsenal rivalry and it would be some almighty u-turn to rock up in the Old Trafford dugout.

Gareth Southgate

Odds: 16/1
Current team: England
Was on the United shortlist pre-Solskjaer appointment after impressing with the way he had transformed the fortunes of the national team, particularly with placing faith in the youngsters.
Also saw his name linked to Tottenham last week, leading him to stress his commitment to the England job, where his contract runs to 2022.
A club nabbing the national coach would not sit well with the FA while club management is not exactly a prominent part of Southgate's CV, having had just one management spell, at Middlesbrough, between 2006 and 2009.

And five outsiders...
Eddie Howe
Odds: 33/1
Current team: Bournemouth
A promising English coach who has been allowed to flourish at Bournemouth since 2012, Eddie Howe deserves the chance at a bigger club. But risky appointments are not really an option United can really afford after previous managerial blunders.

Nuno Espirito Santo

Current team: Wolves
Like Howe, Nuno Espirito Santo has drawn admiring glances for the way he has gone about achieving success at Wolves. But choosing him would also mean even more dealings with super-agent Jorge Mendes, who does not exactly make life easy for the Old Trafford hierarchy (think Paul Pogba, Jose Mourinho...)

Zinedine Zidane
Current team: Real Madrid
Currently back in charge of Real Madrid, Zinedine Zidane features down the bookies list. His record clearly states trophy winner both as player and coach but questions persist over how good a coach he exactly is. The Madrid return is not exactly plain sailing either right now.

Marcelo Bielsa
Odds: 66/1
Current team: Leeds
Marcelo Bielsa crossing the Pennines would take Manchester United-Leeds relations to a whole new level but 'El Loco' certainly has the pedigree to extract more out of United's currently limp squad if Ed Woodward wanted to go left-field.

Roy Keane
Odds: 100/1
Roy Keane laying into United's players from the safety of the Sky Sports studio is entertaining enough. Imagine what would happen if he was let loose in that dressing room...

Needham

It's like when Alan Partridge was asked who are the new and exciting broadcasters. "I don't think there's anyone out there."

Ola

Here is my candidates for our new manager, because it is time for Ole to go. It looks like he has lost the players trust.

1. Nagelsmann (Really liked the way he had Hoffenheim play)
2. Favre (His style is very similar to "The United Way")
3. Tuchel (Think his a good manager)
4. Nuno Espirto Santos (Has done good with Wolves)
5. Howe (Young interesting manager)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Here is my candidates for our new manager, because it is time for Ole to go. It looks like he has lost the players trust.

Wolves are such a defensive ugly team. Howe any day over their manager.

I'm interesting in this Ajax manager. Seems he's done a great job there.

ericking

Just curious why you don't have Allegri on that list?

Surely a bigger name, with proper big club and CL pedigree is a safer investment?

Imperator

It's going to be very difficult to convince a good, proven manager to come in and take over this squad of players at this moment, especially when he won't be able to spend for a while. There is no point sacking Solskjaer anyway. The problems at this club are much deeper than him. We could have Guardiola and Klopp as joint managers and they wouldn't be able to do much with these current players. At least 90% of the current squad needs to be purged and that is a big job that will take time. Better off keeping Solskjaer and getting the money together to rebuild the squad at the next opportunity.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Imagine it being Southgate

AshRK

My preferred choices would be Erik ten Hag or Tuchel. If not them then try to get the Salzburg manager. If he also refuses then I would look into Poch or allegri.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I found it interesting that every time Man Utd's players perform poorly they lost trust in the manager, rather than the other way around. May be it is time to move on those extremely high paid non performing players?

tomaldinho1

Imagine it being Southgate
It would genuinely kill me. If there were ever two humans to compete for least charisma, it's Ole vs Southgate

I think we need to start being a bit smarter about managers, not just throwing money at the shiny big names. Let's find someone who has been in the Bundesliga, La Liga or one of the stronger leagues outside of of the PL who has taken a weaker team into the CL. Something like Klopp at Dortmund or Simeone at Atleti, a manager who has bucked the trend of a league through tactical innovation and not just buying a load of players. For example Hasenhuttl's RB Leipzig experience, taking them to 2nd place in their first season in the Bundesliga, or Jardim's Monaco (mark I) or Girard's Montpellier from years ago winning Ligue 1. I'm not saying these names are the answers to our problems but if we can find someone who has been forced to become very hands on tactically because they haven't had a big budget but have managed to compete with the big boys they might just have what it takes to rebuild us.

fps

Laurent Blanc knows the club and has genuine managerial pedigree. He could be a good caretaker at the least, if Woodward doesn't get all ring-happy again.

TheChad

I say we go for Poch. He has proven he can improve both the team as a whole and develop good players into worldclass.

Despite his recent months with Tottenham, he's a great manager who has done very well with an overall OK squad.

I think he would have us competing for the title with our current squad and an additional 3-4 players of his choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I would go for Poch and back him massively in the transfer market. I don't think he would be interested in coming anywhere if we don't massively invest in the squad.

Madzik_92

I don't know the reliability of Adrian Kajumba but he said that United looking at Julian Nagelsmann to replacing Ole. I really hope it's true

Adnan

Talent Spotter