United’s next manager

Champagne Football

Eddie Howe is the man. At this point we need to find someone that will establish us as a top 4 team again for a few seasons, before thinking about trophies. The difference between Eddie Howe and Ole is that Howe has a track record of improving teams, improving players, developing youth while also playing attractive football.
Eddie Howe is an innovative coach and a top man manager. Exactly what we need. Ole can move upstairs in a DOF role or as assistant coach something. We need to keep him on board as he has some managerial talent and bleeds Utd.

future2future

Ten Hag is one to consider: He can bring great positional play to the club, and could very well be the ticket to get back to where we belong but only if....and here's the big thing:

If he's being backed transfer wise! Everybody can see that the way he's playing at Ajax is at the opposite end of where United is right now. So we can not expect him to do well if we hand him this squad and say: "here you go, do your thing, and if you don't succeed in the next couple o months the blame is on you and we'll fire you"

Look at Klopp: It took him a couple of years to implement his playing style and find the players who are right for the system.

So, if we get Ten Hag make sure he brings Ziyech and vd Beek, also Tagliafico. Make sure they will be there when the season starts! so everybody can get used to the playing style.

But fat chance given the current ownership and lack of vision.

Cloud7

He certainly fits the bill but again, I don't trust these rotten players at the club. They literally down tools for every other manager.
Which one of these rotten players are you talking about here? Vidic, Rio, Carrick under Moyes? Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera, Blind, Darmian, Memphis under Vangle? Jose and some of the 11-12 players he signed? Or AWB, Maguire and James?

Every manager has had a different crop of players.

romufc

Nagalsmann is barely 1/4 of a season into his new job. Can we stop assuming we can get him in please.
This is not happening, it is fans who hear a name google the manager and say we should get him without any thought.

Leipzig waited a very long time to get their man, so there is no chance they let him go after working so hard to secure him

He is a very young manager, we don't know if he can handle the pressure yet, it might be too early for a job like United. Look what happened to AVB.

Why would he want to come here?

Ban

Nagelsmann is a pipe dream. He only started at Leipzig and notion that just our name will get him here is so wrong. We're not in that time anymore where everybody jumped just at the name of United. And add to that United manager spot is a poisoned chalice right now which has a potential of ruining his career.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ten Hag + DoF(Campos) would be an excellent combo.

Otherwise interim(Benitez) and go for Nagelsmann in the summer would be also great.

Thisistheone

Your comparison is a lazy. Because the risk would be similar but only based on top level experiences. But that's also applied to Nagellsman right, he also lacks of top level experiences.

But you need to understand that the playing style is different between Moyes & either Howe & Nagellsmann. Moyes is defensive manager while Howe is attacking manager. Moyes, Big Sam & Roy Hodgson are what I called it same risk because they just don't suit United & Liverpool philosophy. Not saying Howe is the right one, but comparing Howe's case with Moyes's case is IMO a bit lazy comparison.
I agree they're different in terms of style. Just used Howe simply because you hinted that Moyes being in line as Fergie's successor was crazy when I don't think it was crazy. Now it looks terrible, of course. But there was the view that Moyes was pragmatic rather than defensive and pound for pound one of the best managers in the league. Maybe with better players he could do something.

Nagelsmann is different because he's being coveted by nearly every major club in Europe. There's many people in the industry that see him as the next big thing. He's freakishly young for a manager at this level & already getting experience in the CL - which neither Howe or Moyes have had.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree they're different in terms of style. Just used Howe simply because you hinted that Moyes being in line as Fergie's successor was crazy when I don't think it was crazy. Now it looks terrible, of course. But there was the view that Moyes was pragmatic rather than defensive and pound for pound one of the best managers in the league. Maybe with better players he could do something.

Nagelsmann is different because he's being coveted by nearly every major club in Europe. There's many people in the industry that see him as the next big thing. He's freakishly young for a manager at this level & already getting experience in the CL - which neither Howe or Moyes have had.
Moyes was never suit us. The reason why you didn't think it was a crazy decision because he was SAF's choice, you know like the poster above using SAF's statement to defend his argument. If it was Ed's choice, you would have call it crazy.

But at the end of the day his style of football doesn't suit our philosophy. CL experienced means nothing, anyone can have CL experienced. It's just Howe is managing a lesser club with lack of resource in tier 1 league. Ralph was managing CL clubs before went to Southampton, and he finished lower than Howe last season.

Howe plays attacking football & proven to develop young players like Ake, Wilson, Fraser, Brooks. That's why I include his name. Although my no 1 choice will be Poch.

Mark Pawelek

Ten Hag + DoF(Campos) would be an excellent combo.

Otherwise interim(Benitez) and go for Nagelsmann in the summer would be also great.
How is Benitez an option for interim manager when he's currently managing Dalian Yifang? Some available interim managers and coaches are:
  • Domenico Tedesco
  • Jose Mourinho
  • Max Allegri
  • Wenger
  • Big Sam
I'm sure some of them wouldn't accept just an interim job.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How is Benitez an option for interim manager when he's currently managing Dalian Yifang? Some available interim managers and coaches are:
  • Domenico Tedesco
  • Jose Mourinho
  • Max Allegri
  • Wenger
  • Big Sam
I'm sure some of them wouldn't accept just an interim job.
Big Sam?

Bloody hell!

And A guy that we only sacked a year ago!? Just farcical.

PyroMan

The primary issue with the likes of Nagelsmann and Eddie Howe is their lack of experience at a major club and lack of major reputation. Will the likes of Pogba, Martial be willing to follow instructions from these managers? Especially considering someone like Pogba has won various titles including the World Cup.

Klopp came to Liverpool with a reputation of transforming mediocre teams into world-beaters, as evident from his transformation of Dortmund. His Dortmund twice won the league against the behemoth that is Bayern Munich, and almost won the CL too. This made him more acceptable (?) to Liverpool players. On top of that, Liverpool did not have any players with the reputation of the likes of Pogba, Matic (can't think of one Liverpool player in that team who was instrumental in their team winning a title before Klopp arrived). This made is easier for Klopp to be accepted at Liverpool.

Considering this challenge, I personally believe someone like Ten Hag would be a great option. Though he hasn't won anything major, he developed a reputation last season after his young Ajax team reached the CL semi-finals. He can also be credited with the success of players like De Ligt, De Jong (both at major clubs now), Ziyech, Van Beek etc.

He also has worked in a DOF structure, knows what to expect. A lot of things add up for me for his candidature.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Eddie Howe is the man. At this point we need to find someone that will establish us as a top 4 team again for a few seasons, before thinking about trophies. The difference between Eddie Howe and Ole is that Howe has a track record of improving teams, improving players, developing youth while also playing attractive football.
Eddie Howe is an innovative coach and a top man manager. Exactly what we need. Ole can move upstairs in a DOF role or as assistant coach something. We need to keep him on board as he has some managerial talent and bleeds Utd.
The expectations on Howe are pretty low at Bournemouth right now. Playing his brand of football while maintaining PL survival is his main success.

Sean Dyche should be considered if that were the case.

Both would get us relegated

Mark Pawelek

Erik ten Hag out of these 3 please:

Erik ten Hag (born 2 February 1970). Managed Ajax since 2017.
Won:
  • Eredivisie: 2018–19
  • KNVB Cup: 2018–19
  • Johan Cruyff Shield: 2019
  • semi-finals of ECL: 2019, after beating Real 4-1 at the Bernabéu in round 16.

Mauricio Pochettino (born: 2 March 1972). Managed Spurs since 2014.
  • Not actually won anything with Spurs. Runners up only.

Eddie Howe
(born 29 Nov 1977). Managed Bournemouth since 2012.
  • Won Championship: 2014–15

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
And what makes you think Spurs has any better future for their project to call moving to us as step down? You said you don't care about "the past" but you are keep mentioning about the league position in the past.

Right now they are no in any better situation. Their players are ageing, midfield are average, 3 of their main XI players are out of contract in the summer. Poch knows he can't achieve more but has to restart again. If the option is to stay at Spurs or join United. Of course join United is the better option with more resource and more young players in the squad.
No one knows what the distant future hold. Some struggle to even predict the near future. For example Gary Neville predicted that United will win the league ahead of Liverpool. I don't know what Sir Alex did to his players but he certainly didn't developed their football IQ.

Anyway, to the risk of repeating myself, modern managers see their job as a short term project. They join a club, they get as much positive exposure possible and then they move on. Pochs is at a stage that he needs trophies badly. He can't get bogged down with a club whose at 12th place and seems struggling to organise itself or/and spend the ridiculous amount of money needed to go back on top.

Which is why we need a top DOF (and probably a football CEO). Unlike the manager, the DOF is there for the long haul. He'll bring the players we need for the long term and he'll also bring a manager that would match our current circumstances.

BlueHaze

I don't understand how some say Tuchel. I think I mentioned him as a candidate long ago out of sheer desperation but if you just understand why he left Dortmund you would realize he would be an absolute disaster at United and would likely resign after 6 months.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No one knows what the distant future hold. Some struggle to even predict the near future. For example Gary Neville predicted that United will win the league ahead of Liverpool. I don't know what Sir Alex did to his players but he certainly didn't developed their football IQ.

Anyway, to the risk of repeating myself, modern managers see their job as a short term project. They join a club, they get as much positive exposure possible and then they move on. Pochs is at a stage that he needs trophies badly. He can't get bogged down with a club whose at 12th place and seems struggling to organise itself or/and spend the ridiculous amount of money needed to go back on top.

Which is why we need a top DOF (and probably a football CEO). Unlike the manager, the DOF is there for the long haul. He'll bring the players we need for the long term and he'll also bring a manager that would match our current circumstances.
Again, what makes you think he can win trophy by staying at spurs right away if he needs trophies badly? Forget about Real Madrid, because right now Zidane is taking them to top of the league so moving to Real is not an option atm.

Stay at Spurs, get low resources & losing Eriksen, Vertonghern & Toby in the same window for free

OR

Join United with a lot of young players waiting to be developed by top manager & get much better money resources. You know which one is has better potential to win you trophy. ;)

Take a look example of Liverpool. They were shambolic before Klopp (Finish 2nd with Brendan was their best achievement well we also finished 2nd with Jose once). And Klopp took in charge in January and they still out of top 6 end of the season. Klopp received resources to sign players he can build for his long term success and he finished 4th next following season, & every season he made improvement & won CL.

We can provide resource better than Spurs. He is a talented top manager and has potential to replica what Klopp did with Liverpool.

DOF is another issue. But we in a thread of United's next manager & our discussion has been Poch stays at Spurs or join United.

dove

Nagelsmann is a pipe dream. He only started at Leipzig and notion that just our name will get him here is so wrong. We're not in that time anymore where everybody jumped just at the name of United. And add to that United manager spot is a poisoned chalice right now which has a potential of ruining his career.
I think the opposite and it might be the perfect jump for someone like him. We are still a huge club with a lot of resources but with lower expectations, get into TOP 4 and you are safe. He would have no pressure of winning anything for his first few years as long as we play decent football and make some progress. Our squad needs work but it’s not as bad as our own fans think. And of course if you fail, you can always blame the board. So I think it’s a good job for many managers as you cannot find any other big club with such low targets.

devilish

Again, what makes you think he can win trophy by staying at spurs right away if he needs trophies badly? Forget about Real Madrid, because right now Zidane is taking them to top of the league so moving to Real is not an option atm.

Stay at Spurs, get low resources & losing Eriksen, Vertonghern & Toby in the same window for free

OR

Join United with a lot of young players waiting to be developed by top manager & get much better money resources. You know which one is has better potential to win you trophy. ;)

Take a look example of Liverpool. They were shambolic before Klopp (Finish 2nd with Brendan was their best achievement well we also finished 2nd with Jose once). And Klopp took in charge in January and they still out of top 6 end of the season. Klopp received resources to sign players he can build for his long term success and he finished 4th next following season, & every season he made improvement & won CL.

We can provide resource better than Spurs. He is a talented top manager and has potential to replica what Klopp did with Liverpool.

DOF is another issue. But we in a thread of United's next manager & our discussion has been Poch stays at Spurs or join United.
There's always a job for a top manager whose been on the rise, whether its Real, Barca, Barcelona, City (Pep seems to be itching to leave) even Liverpool (Klopp wants a sabbatical year at one point of his career). As said before, the squad is vastly inferior to that of Spurs, there's nothing to suggest that he'll get much better money resources...ah and the kids are massively hyped. For example Spurs ended second in the U18 league (South) as opposed to us who ended up 4th (North).

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Bore off you negative bitter fan!! We’re talking about trying to improve our manger hoping for better results. You’re in here shi££ing on it, why?
Because I'd rather support the manager we currently have rather than take a dump on him and disrespect everything he's trying to do.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There's always a job for a top manager whose been on the rise, whether its Real, Barca, Barcelona, City (Pep seems to be itching to leave) even Liverpool (Klopp wants a sabbatical year at one point of his career). As said before, the squad is vastly inferior to that of Spurs, there's nothing to suggest that he'll get much better money resources...ah and the kids are massively hyped. For example Spurs ended second in the U18 league (South) as opposed to us who ended up 4th (North).
But the debate between us is about Poch leaves Spurs to join United is step down, while I don't think it is. Thus why other clubs are out of discussion.

How inferior? They are closer to us than to City or Liverpool. They are going to lose Eriksen, Vertonghen & Toby for free next summer, that makes it even worse.

Please don't mention past achievement that they have finished higher than us, Im sick of that BS excuses because it doesn't give proof that Poch can win trophy with Spurs given their resource is less than us. We can provide resources to back him means he has better chance to even replica Klopp & Liverpool case.

arthurka

Wenger until the summer if it´s possible to get Nagelsmann
If not Erik Ten Hag or Howe now.

shaky

The expectations on Howe are pretty low at Bournemouth right now. Playing his brand of football while maintaining PL survival is his main success.

Sean Dyche should be considered if that were the case.

Both would get us relegated
Eddie Howe turned a tier 4 team into consistently one of the best 15 teams in the country.

Expectations at Bournemouth are always going to be less than those at Utd. Bournemouth couldn't even dream of having "survive in the PL" expectations before Howe took over.

devilish

But the debate between us is about Poch leaves Spurs to join United is step down, while I don't think it is. Thus why other clubs are out of discussion.

How inferior? They are closer to us than to City or Liverpool. They are going to lose Eriksen, Vertonghen & Toby for free next summer, that makes it even worse.

Please don't mention past achievement that they have finished higher than us, Im sick of that BS excuses because it doesn't give proof that Poch can win trophy with Spurs given their resource is less than us. We can provide resources to back him means he has better chance to even replica Klopp & Liverpool case.
Look I think he won't while you think he will. Let's hope you're right and I am wrong. I believe United to be a poisoned chalice. Its a big club which has an incompetent board, whose squad is lower mid table level, whose players are mostly here for all the wrong reasons, whose got huge ambitions but who seem lacking the financial muscle, the will, the patience and the expertise to match them.

And no they aren't closer to us then to City or Liverpool.

starman

Erik ten Hag out of these 3 please:

Erik ten Hag (born 2 February 1970). Managed Ajax since 2017.
Won:
  • Eredivisie: 2018–19
  • KNVB Cup: 2018–19
  • Johan Cruyff Shield: 2019
  • semi-finals of ECL: 2019, after beating Real 4-1 at the Bernabéu in round 16.

Mauricio Pochettino (born: 2 March 1972). Managed Spurs since 2014.
  • Not actually won anything with Spurs. Runners up only.

Eddie Howe
(born 29 Nov 1977). Managed Bournemouth since 2012.
  • Won Championship: 2014–15
What about Howe's achievement of taking a club at the bottom of league 2 to PL mid table finishes.
He's also won the Football league manager of the decade.
Anyone could win domestic trophies with Ajax, how many people can do what Howe did?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Nagelsmann would be a prime pick for me. Would be able to implement and adopt a style that we all enjoy. Would be nice actually have some decent Germans in our side as well.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Look I think he won't while you think he will. Let's hope you're right and I am wrong. I believe United to be a poisoned chalice. Its a big club which has an incompetent board, whose squad is lower mid table level, whose players are mostly here for all the wrong reasons, whose got huge ambitions but who seem lacking the financial muscle, the will, the patience and the expertise to match them.

And no they aren't closer to us then to City or Liverpool.
First, you are looking at our problems only but you fail to see the reality of Spurs got major problems too.

Second,
We are only 2 difference point between them right now, compare to their gaps with City & Liverpool. You are deluded yourself if you still think the same.

Imagine if the three Eriksen, Toby & Vertonghen gone for free next summer due to their contract, never mind those three they haven't even replace Trippier. They will be potentially even in worse situation than us for the rebuilding process.

Suv666

Poch is the man for the job. Knows the league inside out and has experience in Europe too. Should be able to stabilize the club. Eddie Howe would be a massive gamble, which we are not in a position to take. Although I'm not Ole out just yet. Maybe he can turn it around.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The club should be the one scouting for manager. Us, fans, can only give the criteria. Such as:
- Attacking at heart, but also pragmatic to make "win" as priority.
- Develop players, and is willing to include a few young players.
- Is willing to commit to United.

Jinn

The club should be the one scouting for manager. Us, fans, can only give the criteria. Such as:
- Attacking at heart, but also pragmatic to make "win" as priority.
- Develop players, and is willing to include a few young players.
- Is willing to commit to United.
This would suggest that the club has a plan. Some sort of strategy. I highly doubt it. Seems to me, we make spur of the moment decisions on everything.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The primary issue with the likes of Nagelsmann and Eddie Howe is their lack of experience at a major club and lack of major reputation. Will the likes of Pogba, Martial be willing to follow instructions from these managers? Especially considering someone like Pogba has won various titles including the World Cup.

Klopp came to Liverpool with a reputation of transforming mediocre teams into world-beaters, as evident from his transformation of Dortmund. His Dortmund twice won the league against the behemoth that is Bayern Munich, and almost won the CL too. This made him more acceptable (?) to Liverpool players. On top of that, Liverpool did not have any players with the reputation of the likes of Pogba, Matic (can't think of one Liverpool player in that team who was instrumental in their team winning a title before Klopp arrived). This made is easier for Klopp to be accepted at Liverpool.

Considering this challenge, I personally believe someone like Ten Hag would be a great option. Though he hasn't won anything major, he developed a reputation last season after his young Ajax team reached the CL semi-finals. He can also be credited with the success of players like De Ligt, De Jong (both at major clubs now), Ziyech, Van Beek etc.

He also has worked in a DOF structure, knows what to expect. A lot of things add up for me for his candidature.
If Nagelsmann is as good as they say in improving players and implementing a system, then we sell Pogba and have the manager work on the supposedly promising players we have.

We won't get him though. We'll stagger towards another wrong appointment and the nail on our coffin will finally be nailed, if it hasn't already.

Konimey

With the way the club is being run/ruined by the board and Woodward, not many top managers will be willing to come to United. No DOF, a clueless CEO, a board who will not back you a 100% and a bang average squad. Seriously who will come here?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
With the way the club is being run/ruined by the board and Woodward, not many top managers will be willing to come to United. No DOF, a clueless CEO, a board who will not back you a 100% and a bang average squad. Seriously who will come here?
Glaston..... is that...... is that you?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He has a track record of improving bank rolled Bournemouth.

He was wank at Burnley and got sacked.

He's about as much the man for the job as Moyes was.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We had Mourinho with a better squad and people think some of these suggestions will sort us out. Laughable.