United’s next manager

Sir Scott McToMinay

The primary issue with the likes of Nagelsmann and Eddie Howe is their lack of experience at a major club and lack of major reputation. Will the likes of Pogba, Martial be willing to follow instructions from these managers? Especially considering someone like Pogba has won various titles including the World Cup.
Pogba wouldn’t even be here next season, Martial has done very little in the game for you to even bring him up with such an odd hypothetical claim, I’ve seen more consistency from drummers with tourette than from Martial.
I would rather have Nagelsmann managing us than Pogba and Martial playing for us if it came to this, any day of the week, all day long.

Pretty sure any decent footballer will appreciate a coach with proactive ideas and vision like the charismatic Nagelsmann.

We had Mourinho with a better squad and people think some of these suggestions will sort us out. Laughable.
You’re right, let’s give up and cry.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
First, you are looking at our problems only but you fail to see the reality of Spurs got major problems too.

Second,
We are only 2 difference point between them right now, compare to their gaps with City & Liverpool. You are deluded yourself if you still think the same.

Imagine if the three Eriksen, Toby & Vertonghen gone for free next summer due to their contract, never mind those three they haven't even replace Trippier. They will be potentially even in worse situation than us for the rebuilding process.
Sure losing Eriksen, Toby and Vertonghen will hurt them. It would probably hurt them less then us losing Mourinho, Herrera, Lukaku, Sanchez and Fellaini simply because unlike us 'big spenders' they will probably try and replacing them . Anyway that's a mere detail isn't it? The same as ignoring the fact we'll probably lose Pogba next season as well and if Ole remains then he'll try to replace them with whom? Maddison? Longstaff?

Anyway, Spurs seems to be run like a proper side, something we do not seem able to. Which, if we forget that we're few points away from relegation zone while Spurs were just a game away from winning the CL last season, makes them a more attractive option then we are.

Last edited:

Thisistheone

Moyes was never suit us. The reason why you didn't think it was a crazy decision because he was SAF's choice, you know like the poster above using SAF's statement to defend his argument. If it was Ed's choice, you would have call it crazy.

But at the end of the day his style of football doesn't suit our philosophy. CL experienced means nothing, anyone can have CL experienced. It's just Howe is managing a lesser club with lack of resource in tier 1 league. Ralph was managing CL clubs before went to Southampton, and he finished lower than Howe last season.

Howe plays attacking football & proven to develop young players like Ake, Wilson, Fraser, Brooks. That's why I include his name. Although my no 1 choice will be Poch.
Yeah fair enough, you're right I definitely held SAF's choice in very high regard over a banker's choice. No doubt. But most people did at the time. Fair play if you could see the disaster that was to come.

Also, I think CL experience is very important for a manager. Especially for a club like us. It can take years to get to grips with Europe, so wouldn't want Howe learning on the job with us. Ideally you'd want a manager who's already dived into the deep end, so to speak. CL football is the highest level you can manage at.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This would suggest that the club has a plan. Some sort of strategy. I highly doubt it. Seems to me, we make spur of the moment decisions on everything.
This is the sad part. We missed the boat with Pep and Klopp. Even Zidane which was available, would be a good candidate. Now if Poch become available, there's another one that is handling on plate for us to get.

Posters asking who's the alternative if we get rid of Ole are missing crucial point. We fans don't get paid millions of pounds to pick next manager. If the Club pay the Caf, then I'm more than willing to scout candidates.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah fair enough, you're right I definitely held SAF's choice in very high regard over a banker's choice. No doubt. But most people did at the time. Fair play if you could see the disaster that was to come.

There was a Caf poll on the next manager after SAF. I think the majority of Caf didn't have Moyes in mind.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Literally the first answer in that infamous thread about who would be succeeding SAF was “Anyone but Moyes”.
I knew Moyes was going to be a disaster, so did many others, how the feck was he considered by people with far greater understanding of the game than mine was beyond me.

Sir Alex Ferguson wanted Sven Goran to succeed him in 2002, later on he suggested Moyes, not only did he suggest Moyes he was the one to tell him he was the next manager of Manchester United (wtf), the process should have been far more diligent than that, and then he suggested Ole.

Taking all of this into account I think it’s safe to say that SAF is not very good in suggesting managers.

Castia

Literally the first answer in that infamous thread about who would be succeeding SAF was “Anyone but Moyes”.
I knew Moyes was going to be a disaster, so did many others, how the feck was he considered by people with far greater understanding of the game than mine was beyond me.

Sir Alex Ferguson wanted Sven Goran to succeed him in 2002, later on he suggested Moyes, not only did he suggest Moyes he was the one to tell him he was the next manager of Manchester United (wtf), the process should have been far more diligent than that, and then he suggested Ole.

Taking all of this into account I think it’s safe to say that SAF is not very good in suggesting managers.
Hasn’t it since been suggested he was basically the last choice though? Stories of SAF flying out to New York to try and persuade Pep but he was already committed to Bayern whilst Jose confirmed he was already on his way to Chelsea.

Timing is off sometimes there are no decent managers available, like now actually there’s no clear candidate should Ole be fired.

hobbers

Every single person with a half functioning brain knew Moyes was going to be a disaster, there's no way Fergie could have deluded himself into thinking it would work out.

That's why I absolutely believe every story about the preference being along the lines of Pep>Jose>Klopp>>>>Moyes

Skills

Snitch

I think Fergie underrated himself. He thought he was successful because he was given time and he was committed to a long term project at United.

In truth it was because he was brilliant at his job, and the longevity was just a perk of his brilliance.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Hasn’t it since been suggested he was basically the last choice though? Stories of SAF flying out to New York to try and persuade Pep but he was already committed to Bayern whilst Jose confirmed he was already on his way to Chelsea.

Timing is off sometimes there are no decent managers available, like now actually there’s no clear candidate should Ole be fired.
Timing is important, but it’s not everything.
I assumed that there was a plan in place way before 2012-2013 for a successor, I assumed there were talks with people like Pep, Jose, Ancelotti to make sure we were their preferred next destination, there was no plan in place, it was a reactionary appointment and every one of our appointments since has been a reactionary one, we should stop doing that and appointing managers because they happen to be available.

Either way, there were far better candidates for the job than Moyes regardless of whether or not the top guys were availabe.

I think Fergie underrated himself. He thought he was successful because he was given time and he was committed to a long term project at United.

In truth it was because he was brilliant at his job, and the longevity was just a perk of his brilliance.
I think there’s definite merit to what you are saying and I thought about it myself during the Moyes season, he probably thought that winning a title with no functioning wingers and a midfield of Carrick and Cleverley was a walk in the park and there was no reason why wouldn’t anyone else be able to do it.

Last edited:

PyroMan

Didn't we also reach out to Don Carlo but things didn't work out for some reason? Swear I read about that but too lazy to look it up.

Thisistheone

There was a Caf poll on the next manager after SAF. I think the majority of Caf didn't have Moyes in mind.
I meant after Moyes was named the next manager. A lot of us thought is wasn’t that crazy due to him getting Fergie’s vote. In other words because Fergie said it we got behind it. Which is understandable

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Of course a manager wants absolute control. But what clubs will give them that level control? I doubt there are any. Managers, like everyone else, must adapt to the world as it is, not the world as they want it.
I'm not talking about "absolute control". Any club's board of directors will of course have the final say concerning the transfer-spending and wages budget. But there's a difference between this and having players foisted on the manager against his will, or having players sold against his will, under the say-so of a DoF.

Spurs don't have a DoF and Pochettino doesn't like the DoF system. Instead we have a transfer committee that includes Pochettino and no player is bought or sold without his agreement. Moreover, he has complete control over the playing squad.

Champagne Football

He has a track record of improving bank rolled Bournemouth.

He was wank at Burnley and got sacked.

He's about as much the man for the job as Moyes was.
I'd prefer Nagelsmann by a mile. He's at a good club in Leipzig now though and might not want to leave.
But when Pochettino was at Southampton, you'd have gotten torn to shreds on here if you suggested him after Moyes. The general mood on here was that Van Gaal was a much better option as he had the trophies to prove his quality, not to mention he'd sign the best Dutch talent.

So Eddie Howe is obviously going to move onto bigger things soon. Maybe Everton or Spurs will be his next move.

One thing is for sure is that Howe is 1 trillion times a more suitable candidate than the likes of Allegri. But yes Nagelsmann is a perfect fit if we can get him.

George The Best

I’d put Rodgers on the short list. Wouldn’t be my first choice but doubt Harry would object. Might also help to attract Maddison.

Also he’s likely to demand a DoF to be in place. Jon Rudkin would fit the bill.

Mainoldo

I’d put Rodgers on the short list. Wouldn’t be my first choice but doubt Harry would object. Might also help to attract Maddison.

Do you really want James Maddison?

Baxter

Pochettino’s stock on here is low. Assuming people thinks it’s maybe a bit more than his time coming to an end at a club, like Klopp at Dortmund?

Mainoldo

Not asking me but, hell yes. Great player. Would cost a fortune...
I think it's just a hyped Solskjaer type situation with Maddison. What is the outcome, he can't even break into the England squad. His level is Leicester leave him there, we will never regret not purchasing him.

Move for more talented targets.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
he can't even break into the England squad. His level is Leicester leave him there, we will never regret not purchasing him.

He’ll be in he England squad soon enough. There aren’t many better options for us than Maddison.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Agreed. His past association with Liverpool shouldn’t stop him being considered

AlwaysRed66

I think it's just a hyped Solskjaer type situation with Maddison. What is the outcome, he can't even break into the England squad. His level is Leicester leave him there, we will never regret not purchasing him.

What does that prove when mainstays in the squad are the likes of Alli; Lingard & Rashford.

Mainoldo

He’ll be in he England squad soon enough. There aren’t many better options for us than Maddison.
He'll be in the squad stinking up the place like Barkley. He's okay, nothing more. Keep him away form here.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23

I think you are underrating him. He is a good creator and he can put in a shift. He works hard every single game. Last year he got subbed off a lot after 60mins because he looked fatigued. Now he is playing 90min on regular basis.

Only a year older than young Marcus, he can improve.

Surely there are more talented targets out there, but knowing our scouting department let’s just go with the safe option and buy Maddison.

Mainoldo

I think you are underrating him. He is a good creator and he can put in a shift. He works hard every single game. Last year he got subbed off a lot after 60mins because he looked fatigued. Now he is playing 90min on regular basis.

Only a year older than young Marcus, he can improve.

Surely there are more talented targets out there, but knowing our scouting department let’s just go with the safe option and buy Maddison.
But this is the thing I don’t understand with us, we want to moan about not being ran to standard request players be of a certain level etc. But want to overlook glaring evidence. Yes he’s a very good player at dead ball situations and has tidy feet. But what are we looking for? Is he Pogba’s replacement? The most of the chances he’s creates are from deadball situations he’s not intelligent enough to dictate a midfield but yes he is young. He performs at a level where he doesn’t excel amongst his peers and I mean he plays well within his group but he doesn’t stand out say a Ballack at Leverkusen or Ozil at Bremen (just and example). There is a pool of players out there who we can improve to be better than him and are a lot cheaper. Yes we need an English base but with Maguire; AWB; Axel and Rashford we have enough.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I meant after Moyes was named the next manager. A lot of us thought is wasn’t that crazy due to him getting Fergie’s vote. In other words because Fergie said it we got behind it. Which is understandable
I was shocked and disappointed at the beginning, and his act during the whole summer wasn't really the best, though. But yeh, agreed that I wasn't expecting it turned out as disaster.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Brenden Rogers, it's a no brainer. He builds exciting attacking teams and gets them playing well very quickly.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Because I'd rather support the manager we currently have rather than take a dump on him and disrespect everything he's trying to do.
By that premise that means you also must have backed David Moyes to the hilt too, and he collected my bins last week

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He'll be in the squad stinking up the place like Barkley. He's okay, nothing more. Keep him away form here.
Didn't he create the most chances in the Premier League last season?

RooneyLegend

I'd prefer Nagelsmann by a mile. He's at a good club in Leipzig now though and might not want to leave.
But when Pochettino was at Southampton, you'd have gotten torn to shreds on here if you suggested him after Moyes. The general mood on here was that Van Gaal was a much better option as he had the trophies to prove his quality, not to mention he'd sign the best Dutch talent.

So Eddie Howe is obviously going to move onto bigger things soon. Maybe Everton or Spurs will be his next move.

One thing is for sure is that Howe is 1 trillion times a more suitable candidate than the likes of Allegri. But yes Nagelsmann is a perfect fit if we can get him.
How do you figure Howe is more suitable than Allegri?

Mainoldo

Didn't he create the most chances in the Premier League last season?
Something like that. But so did Joey Barton and Stewart Downing once upon a time. I just want to know what our aim is for a club and team. Maddison sits well with what we are trying to be. Average!