United’s next manager

Sir Scott McToMinay

We are currently 12th are you guys really arguing about high end management. God bless the day we can talk about having a world class player being the difference.
So what if we’re 12th, doesn’t mean we need to make another reactionary appointment, again!
Solskjaer started something, the next manager should be someone who could and should continue the rebuild in a similar way, Allegei is a totally different manager than Ole with different approach to football.

Haven’t we learned anything by now? Forget the club but we, the fans.

Mainoldo

So what if we’re 12th, doesn’t mean we need to make another reactionary appointment, again!
Solskjaer started something, the next manager should be someone who could and should continue the rebuild in a similar way, Allegei is a totally different manager than Ole with different approach to football.

Haven’t we learned anything by now? Forget the club but we, the fans.
What bloody rebuild. Wake up!! This is not a rebuild.. it’s just about planning permission.

Once Ole goes we will reset again but I’m sure AWB will be fine.

CHKBC

The evidence began in the summer, when we spent far more in net terms than for many years past.

What makes me smile is the knee-jerk notion that Spurs are "in such a mess" when (a) we are still likely to qualify for the CL knock-out stages; (b) have 30 league games left in which to claw back the 3 point gap between us and the current top 4; and (c) have just opened our stadium to NFL football in spectacularly successful fashion, with all the commercial opportunities that come with this.
Considering that Tottenham spent very little over the past few seasons before last summer, the increase in transfer spending is much ado about nothing. The club will continue to spend little in net terms compared to their rivals.

Tottenham are just as likely if not more so to not finish in the Top 4 especially given Pochettino's situation at the club. And how is NFL football going to contribute significantly to the club's coffers? Break the figures down here in this thread.

Affirmation

I'm not sure if this has been posted on here yet but Duncan Castles had a Breaking News story on his Transfer Window Podcast yesterday claiming that a source close to Mauricio Pochettino has told him he had set his mind on leaving Spurs and wants the Manchester United job. He goes on to claim that Potchettino is even willing to turn down any potential advances from Real Madrid to takeover as manager here. He also claimed that Ole is pretty much on a game by game basis and the board are already looking at other candidates for the role and Potchettino is their preferred choice for manger:

Ventura

Would be really baffling if he wants the United job even by turning down Real, considering how the club is run and that better managers than him have failed here. He must know he'd be up against it here.

Ole90+3

Would be really baffling if he wants the United job even by turning down Real, considering how the club is run and that better managers than him have failed here. He must know he'd be up against it here.
I reckon Glazers would be looser with the purse strings if it could be used to attract Poch alike Van Gaal and Mourinho's first seasons. I'd be very interested to see if Poch was able to identify top class talent when given a bigger wage and transfer budget than he's ever had at Spurs. We need to remember he's bought a few stinkers in his time at Spurs.

I think Pochetino's biggest skill as a first team coach is the ability to maximise the potential of his squad rather than identifying talent abroad. I think we would all agree that the players we currently have at our disposal would never be good enough to mount a title challenge. I honestly believe even Pep and Klopp would struggle to achieve top 4 with our squad.

Greck

I'm not sure if this has been posted on here yet but Duncan Castles had a Breaking News story on his Transfer Window Podcast yesterday claiming that a source close to Mauricio Pochettino has told him he had set his mind on leaving Spurs and wants the Manchester United job. He goes on to claim that Potchettino is even willing to turn down any potential advances from Real Madrid to takeover as manager here. He also claimed that Ole is pretty much on a game by game basis and the board are already looking at other candidates for the role and Potchettino is their preferred choice for manger:

I want to believe but this guy throws so much garbage at the wall hoping for something to stick.

red thru&thru

Without the proper structure in place, we will need a manager who is used to calling all the shots. But how many of these managers now exist? They're all used to working with a DoF and committee.

Greck

Without the proper structure in place, we will need a manager who is used to calling all the shots. But how many of these managers now exist? They're all used to working with a DoF and committee.
Most managers are actually opposed to working with a DoF. Pochettino doesn't want one, Jose didn't want one.

red thru&thru

Most managers are actually opposed to working with a DoF. Pochettino doesn't want one, Jose didn't want one.
Are they? Jose wanted Campos. Pochettino's best signings and work has been when working with Paul Mitchell.

Greck

Are they? Jose wanted Campos. Pochettino's best signings and work has been when working with Paul Mitchell.
Jose opposed a DoF for a long time. Once he was overruled on having one he put forward Campos' name as a middle ground because they had apparently worked well together in the past. Poch straight up doesn't want one. Can't remember where I read it but any Spurs fan will confirm.

red thru&thru

Jose opposed a DoF for a long time. Once he was overruled on having one he put forward Campos' name as a middle ground because they had apparently worked well together in the past. Poch straight up doesn't want one. Can't remember where I read it but any Spurs fan will confirm.
Yea, will be interesting to read these source of articles.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Marco Rose has been suggested by some a potential United manager. It might be worth watching his Monchengladbach team in action away to Dortmund on Saturday evening. Monchengladbach are top of the Bundesliga even though it is early in the season.

Mainoldo

Woodward has been talking openly about the long term plans, the rebuilding process and everything else but I'm not sure if that's sustainable without proper structures, and the right personnel at the helm with knowledge to oversee that plan regardless of managers coming or going, being able to identify the right ones, the right profile of players and getting key decisions right. Also, being wise in the market and acting well and quickly, instead of spending one month with every deal.

This squad is lacking quality overall, intelligence, creativity, but mainly character and leadership. I see a very little margin to make these guys develop an exciting brand of football around the ball while remaining competitive at the same time. It's a mediocre team lacking spirit and a solid spine, so adding more young talents to the mix would be like building on quicksand, probably with every new signing sinking with the rest.

I feel that signing a progressive manager in a matter of weeks could be suicidal considering the circumstances, the pressure on the boys and their lack of attributes to do even the basics well on a constant basis, let alone the complex. Asking them to do certain things they don't dominate while being close to the relegation zone could create even bigger problems, so no matter if it's Ole or another one I think we need now a more safe approach.

This team will be always limited in terms of tactics and style, and will be pending on a thread from a mental perspective until we add better materials and some clear references, competitive players to sustain the team and release the pressure from certain individuals. Even if the ultimate goal is to introduce young talents at some point like Greenwood and Gomes, we can't really do it succesfully without a solid environement to guide them first. At the moment we have that structure composed partly by young players who are expected to deliver the goods, and even younger players coming to the rescue. More than developing anyone, we're probably leaving them devoid of all confidence by the current path. This is not sustainable in the long term.

Ole's surely in a weak position right now, and unless there's a quick reaction of the team he's probably gone in a matter of weeks. But considering the state of the club at every level I'd consider erasing the whole 'plan' and move on to more solid ground. In the current situation I think we need someone who can carry all the weight of this club on his shoulders, being a source of calm, confidence and effective solutions for a group of this weak and mediocre nature, aiming to build something solid and efficient despite being exciting or not.

And it goes against my desire but probably a 'Mourinho' type is the only thing that can work here at the moment, I mean a peak one like 10 or 15 years ago when he was more charismatic, energetic and hungry, and not the miserable prick he's nowadays.

So if Ole can reactivate the team somehow and remain here for the season it would be fine, as it would allow the club time to plan and analyze options. But if they're forced by the circumstances in the coming weeks, personally I'd forget about the promising german managers, the long term vision and the exciting football because there's nothing here at the moment to sustain that plan.

Zero clue about names to be honest, but if Ole leaves soon I would bring a tactical fox to get results somehow, and rely the less possible on the club to draw and oversee any plans and make any kind of decisions. Just support the leader, give him funds to buy the 3-4 needed columns (not necessarily expensive) to start building the house, and we'll see what happens in the future.

If at some point we have better structures and we're ready to operate like professional clubs do, then we can think about long term plans and aiming for brilliance. But now I think anyone asked to lead this plan with the idiots above, and the current basis of the team (nonexistant) is set to fail before starting.
I agree with you. When Ole goes the plan needs to be scrapped especially if we are getting an Allegri. There is plenty of time to still continue with this ‘long term’ they keep mentioning but at the minute the first time need to be of a certain level. Your Greenwood’s of this world will actually benefit from it too. Get a man that will provide a solid tactical structure on the field whilst giving him the signings he needs to implement this whilst we work on the long term coach who will bring us back to free flowing attacking football.

All this incompetence with young hungry English players is not going to work with this current squad.

Greck

I'll just ask any Spurs fan reading this to confirm it. It's a well known story among them. Im not in a convenient position to be scouring the Internet for the article right now

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's not actually true. Most head coaches are exactly that and don't want to have to deal with the rest because it takes them away from the field, they also don't have a different experience because DoFs are the norm.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Considering that Tottenham spent very little over the past few seasons before last summer, the increase in transfer spending is much ado about nothing. The club will continue to spend little in net terms compared to their rivals.

Tottenham are just as likely if not more so to not finish in the Top 4 especially given Pochettino's situation at the club. And how is NFL football going to contribute significantly to the club's coffers? Break the figures down here in this thread.
The point is that the spending gap with our rivals will start to close from here on, because our rising income now allows this. So, since Spurs have become an established top 4 club even whilst in a period of austerity, it's illogical to predict decline now that we can finally spend more.

Anyhow, this is all off-topic, except in so far as a Spurs decline, were it to happen, might have a bearing on Pochettino's future in relation to United.

And since it's off-topic I won't answer your NFL question here, but that commercial issue has been discussed in the Spurs new stadium thread.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This come from an article in the Telegraph, dated 10 months ago:

"... Another key factor in Pochettino’s future could be the level of control he enjoys at Tottenham, which Levy is prepared to use against any attempt from United or Real to take him.

It is seen as key within the club that Pochettino had his job title changed from head coach to manager when he signed his first contract renewal in 2016.

Pochettino also argued against any attempt to hire a director of football or technical director after the departures of Franco Baldini and Paul Mitchell.

United are to undergo a restructuring following the sacking of Mourinho and want to hire a director of football figure, with Mitchell one of the names in the frame.

Baldini was director of football when Pochettino first arrived at Tottenham and it was the Italian who had a direct line into Levy over transfer business.

But Pochettino took over that line following Baldini’s departure, even though Mitchell was at the club as head of recruitment. Once Mitchell left, Pochettino supported the idea of making Steve Hitchen chief scout rather than going back to the director of football model.

Such is the level of control that Pochettino enjoys at Tottenham that he helped to design elements of the new stadium and Levy believes that is something the 46-year-old values."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...tell-mauricio-pochettino-would-not-get-level/

red thru&thru

This come from an article in the Telegraph, dated 10 months ago:

"... Another key factor in Pochettino’s future could be the level of control he enjoys at Tottenham, which Levy is prepared to use against any attempt from United or Real to take him.

It is seen as key within the club that Pochettino had his job title changed from head coach to manager when he signed his first contract renewal in 2016.

Pochettino also argued against any attempt to hire a director of football or technical director after the departures of Franco Baldini and Paul Mitchell.

United are to undergo a restructuring following the sacking of Mourinho and want to hire a director of football figure, with Mitchell one of the names in the frame.

Baldini was director of football when Pochettino first arrived at Tottenham and it was the Italian who had a direct line into Levy over transfer business.

But Pochettino took over that line following Baldini’s departure, even though Mitchell was at the club as head of recruitment. Once Mitchell left, Pochettino supported the idea of making Steve Hitchen chief scout rather than going back to the director of football model.

Such is the level of control that Pochettino enjoys at Tottenham that he helped to design elements of the new stadium and Levy believes that is something the 46-year-old values."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...tell-mauricio-pochettino-would-not-get-level/
Brilliant, thank you.

So maybe that is one of the things that appeals to Poch about United, he'd definitely have more control. I still don't think that is the correct way for us.

ILC

Reports from Italy saying Allegri's already in serious negotiations with Woodward and has 7.5m€ net on the table to become the next manager. Not the most reliable source (Tuttosport), but they've been first on Ronaldo to Juve story and in general there's too much smoke in this Allegri-United thing.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/manager-now-close-manchester-united-concrete-negotiation-taking-place/

Also this: http://sportwitness.co.uk/manager-j...e-continues-to-be-linked-with-man-united-job/

He was asked yesterday in Poland at a conference about United rumors. He just joked about his English level. Not exactly a denial.

This is the original link to everything he said during the AEFC in Warszawa yesterday: https://www.przegladsportowy.pl/pil...jciechu-szczesnym-or-reportaz-tomasza/3nywt24

Put it in google translate, it's very easy to understand. Allegri goes into amazing detail on his philosophy, mental approach, how he coaches etc. Excellent read.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

On the hypothetical that it does happen, United once again making the same mistakes all over again. I'll genuinely be surprised if it somehow works this time. Conservative managers failed in the past. Maybe the next one will work! And as soon as that fails, people will be left wondering "We've tried everything. What do we have to do except for appointing an attacking upcoming manager."

Untd55

I think it is certain to be Allegri. I believe Solskjaer will be sacked before Pochettino will even be available. There is no way we can continue with Solskjaer any longer, even if we somehow get some points against Liverpool.

Allegri is the man available. I doubt he will take an interim role, either. So, he will be our next manager.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How is is Allegri in the transfer market ? And how is he with younger players? I'm really wary about another Jose like situation where we sign older players who don't work out and are paid a lot and can't develop younger players who don't work out and are paid a lot.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
On the hypothetical that it does happen, United once again making the same mistakes all over again. I'll genuinely be surprised if it somehow works this time. Conservative managers failed in the past. Maybe the next one will work! And as soon as that fails, people will be left wondering "We've tried everything. What do we have to do except for appointing an attacking upcoming manager."
Exactly this..^^
Sets us back another couple of years, as the new manager will want to do his own assessment of the squad, so Jones, Rojo, Matic etc will all get yet another reprieve, next season written off as yet another season in transition and rebuild, until 18 months down the line we realise that Allegri plays dull unadventurous football, and we sack him only to begin the whole fcuking process again..!!

Nikelesh Reddy

How is is Allegri in the transfer market ? And how is he with younger players? I'm really wary about another Jose like situation where we sign older players who don't work out and are paid a lot and can't develop younger players who don't work out and are paid a lot.
At Juventus,it’s very hard to say how much of an influence the manager has on signing players.But to answer your second question he was actually criticised towards the end of his reign for not giving more opportunities to young players...Juve fans wanted to see more of Moise Kean,Leonardo Spinazzola,Rodrigo bentacur etc..,But to be fair it’s hard to give lots of game time to younger players at Juve cause they have such a fantastic squad...

I think he’s a fantastic manager and if we can’t get Pochettino,I would give him the job...

Mainoldo

As I’ve said previous. Forgot the youth with regards to Chong Gomes etc. Right now this is not our priority. We just need a good quality of player that will allow us to compete.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As examples, Cancelo, Dybala, Douglas Costa, Pjanic, Alex Sandro, Bernardeschi all joined during his time at a decent age. Its fair to say his guidance was at least not a hindrance to their development as all are very good players.

Mainoldo

Can and Mandzukic sound very Mourinho like.
No mate. Can or Longstaff and Rice. Those are the parallels. We need to get back to being competitive at top 4. Then try and get back into this title running. Not waiting 5 years hoping the British lads come good.

amolbhatia50k

As I’ve said previous. Forgot the youth with regards to Chong Gomes etc. Right now this is not our priority. We just need a good quality of player that will allow us to compete.
We need both. And to be honest I referring more to 21-26 year olds. Liverpool and City have signed plenty of those. You don't really need to go for 28-32 year olds to get quality peformances. Short cuts to success and stop gaps willcontinue to fail.

amolbhatia50k

No mate. Can or Longstaff and Rice. Those are the parallels. We need to get back to being competitive at top 4. Then try and get back into this title running. Not waiting 5 years hoping the British lads come good.
I didn't mention British lads. But that doesn't mean we sign average foreign ones.

To be fair Can looked decent at Liverpool but he's mostly about physicality isn't he?

SirAF

Ageist
Urgh. Work rate over technique. Prefers older players. Sounds exciting.
I don’t think he’s the ideal candidate but he’s a hell of a lot better than Solskjaer so I’m not exactly going to curse his potential appointment.

amolbhatia50k

As examples, Cancelo, Dybala, Douglas Costa, Pjanic, Alex Sandro, Bernardeschi all joined during his time at a decent age. Its fair to say his guidance was at least not a hindrance to their development as all are very good players.
Those are most very positive signings.

amolbhatia50k

I don’t think he’s the ideal candidate but he’s a hell of a lot better than Solskjaer so I’m not exactly going to curse his potential appointment.
I mean, Brighton's manager is probably better than Ole so better than rock bottom shouldn't really be our criteria. Every wrong appointment sets us further back.